Official Camera Stutter, Part 2 (Mac)

- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
07/23/2011 12:16 PMPosted by Omegal

BTW how do you check on the status of a bug submitted by a person other than you? BugReporter only lets me access my own bug submissions. I've not figured out how to do a search for a list of submitted bugs in any way shape or form. Perhaps I'm missing something?

I submitted the original bug. I filed it on radar same time i reported it to blizz, then gave them the bugID i used for original report. But i'm still the original filer of bug. I just nudged blizz for a little backing on the issue so apple would be more attentive to it. Apple more inclined to respond to a blizz dev report then some random report from Omega. It helps to get backing :)

That's nice and all, but my question is still unanswered: Is there a way to search the Radar for bugs, or view a list of known submitted bugs? Seems kind of pointless for devs not to have access to a list of bugs that have been submitted. It isn't like they can talk about them openly in public places as whatever goes into Radar/BugReporter is covered by your ADC NDA.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
honestly i don't think so, you file a bug anyways, and they tell you it's a dupiicate of x bug and close your ticket, then say somethinga bout if you want to follow original bug here's the ID. but then don't tell you who to contact to follow that original ID heh. i've filed duplicate bugs before. i don't follow up cause meh if they knowa bout it they know about it.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
this should bemoved to sticky archive, if users haven't installed lion it's there loss. blizz has done all they can on this, but the rest just resides in user to actually upgrade to get apples bugfixes
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
I'm going to have to second this. I'm still on SL, but that's because of Lion's iOS being something I hate. I may just use Lion solely for playing WoW at this point once its mouse bug is gone. I really can't stand the OS as a whole with the autosave, resume (which still saves your window info to the HD/SSD even if disabled, or those almost impossible to see on grey/white background iOS scrollbars.

I'm so glad I didn't get an iPhone. I'd have hated it. Immensely.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
You've also not patched to 10.6.8 too, right? Or was that Omegal that had problems with the App Store app? Not that i'm trying to pick a fight here. Snow Leopard, is fine. But it just seems like you're just going to be left behind, eventually, like WoW players that are still clinging to their G4/5 PowerMacs.

I've had plenty of issues with Windows, not just with Vista and 7, but also even from Win9x to WinXP. Though, it'd be completely asinine for me to still be running Win9x. And while, its still ok to be running Win XP. It's clearly a relic, though. As even my employer is getting ready to move on. They rolled out new dual core i5 processor computers to everyone in my office, mind you, still running Win XP. But, clearly setup to imageable to Win7 or Win8 which ever they spend the big bucks to setup shop on.
Edited by Dwarftude on 8/2/2011 6:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
I'm fully patched to 10.6.8. That is hardly an "old" operating system. Lion is new, and while it has the fixes to WoW, right now it's a very unpleasant taste in the mouths of many who despise the iOS mechanics it brings to the desktop. I intend only to boot into Lion in order to play WoW, and then only when Apple has fixed the mouse cursor bug. For the rest of my work/time, I'm sticking to SL.

I like actually getting something done with my operating system, not fighting it constantly.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
08/03/2011 11:47 AMPosted by Tiapriestess
I like actually getting something done with my operating system, not fighting it constantly.

Well, this is your own business. I suppose I shouldn't even have responded. But, i've gone though the same in my "career". I've settled on something similar to you, but of opposite polarity I suppose.

That is, i've come to the conclusion that the sooner I stop fighting change, the sooner I can have fun, or get work done. That isn't to say that I just capitulate to everything. But, I'll choose my battles.

I'll let you pick your battles, though. If Resume, Versions, and Auto-save are it. So be it. These are mole hills to me, though.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
08/03/2011 01:11 PMPosted by Dwarftude
I'll let you pick your battles, though. If Resume, Versions, and Auto-save are it. So be it. These are mole hills to me, though.

Resume I only dislike because even though I've disabled it, all window info is still saved to my SSD, which eats up write cycles to cells needlessly on data I'm never going to use (shortening my SSD's life).

Versions is a subset of Autosave. Kill the latter and the former becomes moot. Autosave interferes with things that I do such as clicking any random textedit document like the one for my Samsung EDID info on my desktop so I can launch TE without the need to clutter my dock further. I usually open that document, empty it, and copy/paste stuff for forum editing (due to the bugs on this forum for example) or to zoom in on text in an easier manner than would be for a webpage. Autosave doesn't ask if I want to save the document like that, it just does it. I don't want it to, as I still use the original document from time to time as reference material. A simple toggle for autosave en masse would please me and most others.

Fix those two things and the majority (if not most) of Lion's aggravations are gone. The only remaining thing after that is the iOS scrollbars, which really are hard to see against light backgrounds (and despite the claims, the click area is NOT the same as the Aqua ones).

Nearly everything else I didn't like about Lion, like how it treats address book/mail.app I can work around as there are toggles. So I worked around them and then promptly cloned my Lion install so that I have a pristine backup with all my installed apps from the getgo and settings the way I want them in case things go south on me.

I don't run into Launchpad because I never use it. :)

Lion's draw for me is under the hood. I wish Apple had lifted the 32-bit EFI cockblock (and it is just that as 32-bit EFI Macs with 64-bit CPUs can run Windows 64 just fine via bootloader, meaning EFI is just a glorified bootloader), but they didn't so Lion still runs in 32-bit Kernel mode for me. Not the end of the world, just an annoyance.

I work around things all the time. It's when I can't work around them that things become problematic. That's where Autosave/Resume come in.
Reply Quote
93 Dwarf Paladin
08/03/2011 03:56 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
Resume I only dislike because even though I've disabled it, all window info is still saved to my SSD, which eats up write cycles to cells needlessly on data I'm never going to use (shortening my SSD's life).

Woe be me for dismissing SSDs, but this is a battle I pick. They are silent and speedy, but they're expensive, have limited capacity, and yea, life expectancy issues. Trust me, i'm no stranger to this battle. My friends chastise me for not getting a "4G" phone and then choosing, of all things, an -iPhone- in the face of so many "better" phones.

I'm pretty skeptical, though, of Resume and Versions having any significant impact on SSD life. I've just been through this type of concern before. If your business is typing up lots of documents or your Mac use is heavy enough that you feel resume data is of legitimate concern for you... Then maybe an SSD isn't the best choice for you.

But I digress, this the camera stutter thread. Not SL v Lion. You and I have both exchanged our opinions on this topic. I'm comfortable with not changing your mind, or totally being wrong, and just dropping this here.
Edited by Dwarftude on 8/3/2011 5:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Tiapriestess. So I don't think I saw anyone post on this or not. but to access your user library. when finder is selected. click on the GO menu item then old alt/option, and your user library will show up. I found this rather quick after needed to get in there to try to mod a few games off steam. sorry this came so late.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
11/21/2011 01:44 AMPosted by Amarisen
Tiapriestess. So I don't think I saw anyone post on this or not. but to access your user library. when finder is selected. click on the GO menu item then old alt/option, and your user library will show up. I found this rather quick after needed to get in there to try to mod a few games off steam. sorry this came so late.

I already know how to nagivate Lion's "quirks". I'm still in Snow Leopard though since Lion still has mouse issues and lower framerates on average to boot (minus the stutter obviously). That and dual booting OSes just to play WoW without stutter really rankles my undies.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
lion has higher frame rates, and scores much higher on opengl extentions viewer tests, dunno why yours is broken. we have the same card.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
I am on Lion 10.7.2 on an iMac 27inch mid2011 model with the amd 6970m 2gb graphics card. I still have a camera stutter that makes wow unplayable on osx. However, when I bootcamp into windows 7 I have no issues.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
unrelated issue i'm sure, probably some mods that are on mac side that aren't on windows side. have you made sure to cleanout mods, and that cache is fully built and game is fully downloaded and not in streaming mode?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
I have done a clean install of wow after 10.7. I deleted all mods. Game is fully downloaded and still significant issues, even when i turn the graphics all the way down.

I have not done it since with 10.7.2. Gonna do it right now but I don't think it will change anything.
Edited by Tankmeh on 12/1/2011 10:45 AM PST
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
strange, but that still sounds like a diff issue i suggest you make a new thread, with full detailed specs including hardware graphics and software from system profiler

this specific issue is fixed on lion.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warrior
Ok, I will thanks. I have been ignoring the issue for a while and gave up trouble shooting it since the problem was solved when booting into windows. I am just getting sick of switching operating systems for wow and losing a lot of apps in the background that I love to use.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]