Ask the Devs - Answers #5: Achievements

90 Blood Elf Mage
Q: Guild Achievements related with professions are much more difficult than other Guild Achievements. Is there any plan to give a chance for small guilds to get those Achievement rewards? –버미전사 (Korea), Joq (North America/ANZ)

A: We think some of these are way too high and we plan on lowering them to more sane numbers for 4.1. The Pen is Mightier glyph achievement for example would have been reasonable with the old glyph model but is ridiculous today. We were waiting to collect some additional data from guilds currently working on those achievements, but we feel like we have enough information now to lower them. Pen is Mightier for example will go from 25,000 glyphs to 2,500 in 4.1.

I understand why this is done, but it still makes me sad - the glyphmaking achievement was actually one of the few guild achievements I was really looking forward to having for my tiny level three guild. I'll not be riding scorpions or even get fancy heirlooms until sometime in the 2030s with the current guild leveling rules, but I could at least brag we'd made 25k doodles on parchments by the end of this year, something many big guilds aren't likely to do for even longer than that.

2.5k is just... too little, if there is even one active scribe in the guild. 10k would have been a more reasonable nerf, in my opinion. That either reduction would give my guild an instant achieve is entirely coincidental, promise! :-)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I would like a giant bag for having over 9000 achievement points. A bag that can only fit in one of my bank slots, and really I don't care whatever other restrictions it had on it. I want it only to hold gear from previous expansions and holiday gear. As it is, my bank hasn't had any free room in years. It certainly wouldn't be any kind of requirement, just an acknowledgment that you've got alot of junk in your trunk.

P.S. bringing back the Black and Plagued Protos wouldn't make me happy. I worked really hard for the achievements when they were current. It's cool that when I see another player riding one, we both know what it means. The Ulduar Protos don't have that. It'd be like letting me have a Merciless Netherdrake for winning 20 arenas, in my opinion.

Just pixels, etc etc. but I think the players that earned it ought to have more say than the players who think it's purdy and want what they don't have. There are plenty of mounts in the game.

ETA: I also do wish you'd left the 'PVE Gladiator' concept in place. The fact that I could go get a Razorscale mount as a heroic reward from Brann, on a character that was a toddler killing boars when Brann cared about retaking Ulduar, is just silly.
Edited by Mnevis on 4/14/2011 3:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
04/13/2011 10:05 PMPosted by Natendall
"Natendall the Overachiever"

I like that for 13000 points.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
04/13/2011 10:01 AMPosted by Lorinall
A lot of these answers are things that Blizzard already commented on in the past. I guess the answers weren't visible enough though since apparently most of the community voted for those questions.

this is a recurring theme, some think its blizz picking the easier/already answered questions... i'm inclined to believe we have a bunch of folks that don't keep up with whats already been said and upvoted questions that didn't need answering... whatever the reason it is dissapointing. I would however like to thank blizz for running these Q&As and encurage them to continue... soooo Thanks!
Reply Quote
04/13/2011 03:55 PMPosted by Mazlynn
Personaly, I think they should not bring back the proto drakes. They are a testament to those who spent the time and effort into getting the achieves. If they bring them back, it will lessen the value of the mount. It would be like a person who got the mount diring the time it was up seeing half of azeroth suddenly apear with the same mount, causing all those ppl to feel like it was just wasted time for they could have waited until it was easy to get.

Just like my vanilla "Blood Guard" title?
They did it for old PvP titles, unfair to not do it for old PvE titles.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Q: Will you ever bring back the mounts for achievements that were removed (Naxx Glory runs) as you didn't remove the later mounts? – Joyia (North America/ANZ)
A: This is a tough one. On the one hand, we know there are a lot of players who would still like to get their hands on these mounts. On the other hand, we were pretty clear that they would only be available for a limited time, and we hate to go back on our word because we know some groups went through heroic efforts to get them before the door closed. This is the kind of thing that is not set in stone and player feedback might eventually convince us to change our minds.

Please don't do it. Please. Please please.

Promise you'll quit if they do? Please?
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid

Did they ever say the PvP ranks weren't coming back?

Thing is, it didn't make sense to abolish battleground/world pvp titles fully. It does make sense to have the top level raiding meta achievement mount go away when the raid is trivialized by gear and/or additional expansion. (yes, including Ulduar/ICC mounts). They weren't designed to be 'farm at your leisure' achievement awards, but that's what they've become. Except for those two, which upsets a few people.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman

Did they ever say the PvP ranks weren't coming back?

Thing is, it didn't make sense to abolish battleground/world pvp titles fully. It does make sense to have the top level raiding meta achievement mount go away when the raid is trivialized by gear and/or additional expansion. (yes, including Ulduar/ICC mounts). They weren't designed to be 'farm at your leisure' achievement awards, but that's what they've become. Except for those two, which upsets a few people.

The issue is consistency. The Naxx drakes were removed. The ICC and Uld drakes were not. Could they be removed now? Yes -- but thousands have already farmed them when trivialized at L85 in T11 gear. There's no point to removing those drakes anymore, and in fact at this point it'd be quite unfair to everyone who still wants them but hasn't gotten around to it yet. They're already trivial and the damage is done.

Most players had believed that the rest of the drakes in Wrath would follow the Naxx drakes, and that they'd be removed when the content was outdated. That it never happened begs the question, "Then why were the Naxx drakes removed in the first place?". If they were the only ones meant to be removed, that should have been clear from the beginning. If they weren't, and the decision was changed and the later drakes not removed as a result, then the changing of that decision should reinstate the Naxx drakes.

For the most part, the argument is on those two points: Clarity (What was the intention, exactly, in regards to ALL of the Wrath drakes) and consistency (Were they all supposed to be removed and if not, why should only one have been).
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
My only argument for bringing the drakes back was that some of us just weren't there to have the chance to get those mounts. I wasn't around/still leveling my first toon when black proto was available, and I would really like a chance at it if I could. It's commendable that you achieved what you did when you did, but I think for the rest of us who either at the time weren't there or maybe not good enough, it'd be nice to see them reinstated so we could get them too. :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I wasn't around for Woodstock. Some things are better left alone (see Woodstock 99).

Sorianos, you never even killed KT (on that character); what does it matter to you if there was a proto-drake available 2 years ago in that tier? There are many many new achievements and mounts for players that weren't there then.

I'm going to stop posting in this thread... I wouldn't quit if 100 people get a plagued protodrake for facerolling Naxx, but Bashiok said they were listening to feedback (which I'm sure they'll get, at least from the few that want an unobtainable mount) so here's mine. If you do, a few people will be happy and maybe get it, a few people will be sad and maybe not ride it anymore, and the mount will not be special anymore.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
I for one am glad they removed those mounts. The 25-man proto-drake is one of the few mounts that I'm proud of...because I had to work hard for it. What Blizzard should do is remove all those mounts from achievements after the current tier or at least the current tier expires. I see a ton of Ironbound and Rusted Proto-Drakes and Frostbrood Vanquishers and you can't tell if they got it "legitly" or by powering through the content after the next tier or expansion came out without looking it up. The Amani War Bear is the one land mount that I'm most proud of and always ride because you had to be good to get it and, as importantly, nobody else can get it now. Except, a slightly different colored one is coming next patch...(sigh). Hopefully, their difficulty to obtain is on par with the original. Same goes for titles...the immortal and the undying are awesome because they were hard and they're unobtainable now..

Your opinion is bad and you should feel bad. You really should stop caring what other people do with their time and what they want to ride on. Mounts should of never ever been removed in the first place and Blizzard now knows how much of a touchy subject that has turned into over the years. If they decided to "remain consistent" and remove the ulduar and IC ones, that would essentially be the death of this game for a lot of people.

I also find it funny that your also pissed that a different bear mount is coming next patch? Once again stop caring! First of all it is a different mount, and second of all, now you can have 2 of them. You sound like a huge elitist and most people disagree with you.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight

Q: Will you ever bring back the mounts for achievements that were removed (Naxx Glory runs) as you didn't remove the later mounts? – Joyia (North America/ANZ)
    A: This is a tough one. On the one hand, we know there are a lot of players who would still like to get their hands on these mounts. On the other hand, we were pretty clear that they would only be available for a limited time, and we hate to go back on our word because we know some groups went through heroic efforts to get them before the door closed. This is the kind of thing that is not set in stone and player feedback might eventually convince us to change our minds.

I believe there was a blue post a long time ago about DKs being designed for 2Handers only and that dual wielding was never going to be an option, I would say that is going back. I do undertand the position of sticking to your guns, but I think flexability is allowed in this area. I hope you guys reconsider, so many of us would love to get the Naxx drakes especially those like me who have just a few till the meta is complete.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Mage
I have 2 characters exalted with WSG and 4 of them revered this grind isn't bad at all and does not take "years".

By the way this account didn't exist in vanilla so I turned in no marks.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Priest

Q: Will we ever be able to spend our achievement points on something? Or will there be a feature where it will be required to have x amount of points?

A: We want Achievements to remain as an optional thing you can do as bragging rights, or to challenge yourself. As soon as we add any kind of player power, or use them to gate anything, then they feel mandatory for a lot of players. In fact, we think one of the reason achievements are fun is that the drive to complete them is totally up to you, which keeps them (hopefully!) from feeling like a chore. If you want to go after some achievements that's a choice, and choosing not to care about achievements doesn't mean you're making your character less powerful.

We do offer pets, mounts and titles for specific achievements, and we’re unlikely to ever do anything much more “mandatory” than those.

Completely Absurd!

Now, Tell Everyone what is the point of doing Those!

Lots of PPL do not want to do Achievements because They worth Nothing, You had a Chance to make Big City less Loaded... And you throw that Chance away!

Now Tell me, Try to find 20 PPL to do Those Big Raid Achievs That do not worth a Mount or a Pet! They'll tell you, " It's worth Nothing"!

I was Hoping some kind of Stuff for let's say every 2000 Achiev Points, like Golds or Valors, even Gear, why not!

I am really disapointed... Hope you'll change your Mind!

Notes:
PVP= Conquest Points,Gear,Mounts,Gold,Title

Raiders=Valor Points,Gear,Mount Drop,Gold,Title

Achievers (Real PVE)=Mounts (Biggest Achievs), Pets, Title <-Worth Nothing if you do not have the PPL to do Them!

Good Luck Everyone! I Got Enough!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
All these people saying "DO NOT BRING THE MOUNTS BACK" have a horrible argument.
I bet most don't even ride those drakes anymore but I'm sure they are still wearing the titles that they received.

You guys have achievements with an awesome date to show off and some of the best titles and yet you cry about a drake (that has many different skins) that sits in your mount list that hardly gets noticed.

Who cares how "special" you feel that you have them? What good is coming out of being so selfish? As said many many times, all the other achievement drakes are available still as well as multiple other drakes from the other raids such as the handed out Sarth dragons. Even Blizzard admits they wish they never removed those drakes.

If you wanted a special mount, you should have worked on ZG mounts that are completely RNG. Being awarded a mount from doing achievements is much less rewarding than a mount that you will never know when it will drop.

Hopefully Blizzard will continue to read feedback and see that the positives of bringing them back will far outweigh the negatives. The "I'm special" argument is getting really really old. You are not a unique snowflake :3

Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
OK I lied. Posting again because Liinx's argument is of a particular ironic form that seems to always pop up in "give naxx drakes" threads. Mantaur's boils down to the same thing too. I'm not entirely sure that I'm not being trolled.

=======================================
You have something rare that you feel cool for having.
I did not obtain it while it was available (for whatever reason).
I want it.
I cannot obtain it anymore because it was removed.
I still want it.
I don't care what you think.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Therefore *you* are a selfish jackass.

Personally, I use almost exclusively my Black Protodrake because of my many mounts it was the one I worked the hardest for, feel most like I earned (got Plagued by zerging, not that I didn't spend hours upon hours on Sarth103D the hard way), and yes, it's rare.

And cause Tauren on Dragonhawks look silly.
Edited by Mnevis on 4/14/2011 11:20 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
OK I lied. Posting again because Liinx's argument is of a particular ironic form that seems to always pop up in "give naxx drakes" threads. Mantaur's boils down to the same thing too. I'm not entirely sure that I'm not being trolled.

You have something rare that you feel cool for having.
I did not obtain it while it was available (for whatever reason).
I want it.
I cannot obtain it anymore because it was removed.
I still want it.
I don't care what you think.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Therefore *you* are a selfish jackass.

Personally, I use almost exclusively my Black Protodrake because of my many mounts it was the one I worked the hardest for, feel most like I earned (got Plagued by zerging, not that I didn't spend hours upon hours on Sarth103D the hard way), and yes, it's rare.

And cause Tauren on Dragonhawks look silly.

I am just a firm believer that mounts should of NEVER been removed in the first place. Nobody suspected that these Naxx drakes were going to be removed when WotLK was released. Therefore I figured I can enjoy the game and get these when I start raiding. And yes some of you Pro removal mount people are in fact selfish.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'll come back and fight for this since
04/13/2011 09:24 AMPosted by Bashiok
This is the kind of thing that is not set in stone and player feedback might eventually convince us to change our minds.

(Hopefully I'll remember everything since, after typing it the first time, it disappeared when I hit Preview.)

I am in favor of Blizzard removing the ability to obtain all vanity items (mounts/pets/etc.) from heroic and raid achievements after their current tier of content or perhaps their current expansion has passed. Those players that invested the time and talent to accomplishing those things when they were at their hardest, should not have their achievement marginalized by rewarding equally those who came much later and did it with much less difficulty. The approach that Blizzard took during WotLK's 1st tier of content by removing the Black and Plagued Proto-Drakes was appropriate and should be the model that they use in the future.

Those that accomplished it when it was current should be proud of what they did, which is by the way the correct meaning of elitism: consciousness of or pride in belonging to a select or favored group. When people throw around the word "elitist" I think they are often confusing it with snobbery. This is why "Elitist Jerks" isn't redundant.

To show that I'm not hypocritical, I will outline my experiences in this area. I was able to obtain the Black Proto Drake with my peers and friends. I didn't get the Plagued one however. It was solely because of 10 man three-drake Sartharion. Let's just say that it's not easy being the same spec and class as your GM. Anyway, am I disappointed that I was never able to obtain it? Yes. Do I want their accomplishment to mean less to them because Blizzard handed it to me now? Absolutely not.

During Ulduar, I obtained both the Rusted and Ironbound Proto-Drakes. I don't ride them anymore because almost anybody can get them now and there's newer and shinier things to obtain in Cataclysm.

I didn't obtain either Frostbrood Vanquisher during ICC because I was away from the game at the time. I'm OK with never being able to obtain those, even though they're really cool looking mounts.

Mounts with low drop rates are not in the same league. If you have one of these kinds of mounts, you're simply lucky. For the most part it's not about skill. That's another issue that I won't delve into too deeply here.

If people on the other side of the argument want to bring back the Black and Plagued Proto Drakes, then why not bring back all the mounts for Gladiator over the seasons and make it available to everyone that, say, gets a 1500+ rating in arenas and RBGs? What if vanity items that have been on the Blizzard Store for a while got a 90% discount? How would that make people feel if they had spent $10 on an item and Blizzard was letting people buy it for $1 now? By the way, I have never nor will never spend real money on vanity items.

After all, vanity items are meant for people to feel vain about them. That effect is diminished every time a new tier or expansion comes out and the requirements to obtain them is still the same. It is my hope that somebody at Blizzard will read this and take this into consideration when deciding how to deal with this issue at present and in the future.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]