Ask the Devs - Answers #5: Achievements

90 Human Death Knight
You feel that they are diminished because you allow them to be.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Thank you Dev Team for answering those questions.

Now, for the rest of you that still wonder...I would love to relive the 60s and the 70s all over!

But guess what....I wasn't born untill the late 70's....

Hope someone got it.

=P
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight
04/14/2011 12:45 PMPosted by Mantaur

Or possess a basic understanding of economics and psychology.

You feel they wouldn't be because you're either trolling or wearing envy blinders.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight

You feel they wouldn't be because you're either trolling or wearing envy blinders.

Well you only level 55, so why do you care about the Glory Mounts anyways?

Also, I fail to see how economics and psychology have any basis on virtual possessions in a video game.

Anyways, it's not like the mount changes if someone else gets it. It's not like each new proto takes a little piece of your proto until you have no proto left. The only thing it diminishes is that warm fuzzy feeling you get when people ask you "oh, sweet mount, where did you get it?" or when you notice that you're the only one in the city who has one. And you know what? If you get that warm fuzzy feeling you are doing it wrong, and just want to be special in a video game.
Edited by Mantaur on 4/14/2011 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
55 Troll Death Knight

Well you only level 55, so why do you care about the Glory Mounts anyways?

Also, I fail to see how economics and psychology have any basis on virtual possessions in a video game.

Anyways, it's not like the mount changes if someone else gets it. It's not like each new proto takes a little piece of your proto until you have no proto left. The only thing it diminishes is that warm fuzzy feeling you get when people ask you "oh, sweet mount, where did you get it?" or when you notice that you're the only one in the city who has one. And you know what? If you get that warm fuzzy feeling you are doing it wrong, and just want to be special in a video game.

I'm pretty sure this speaks for itself, to any reasonable observer.
wtfsyntax
Edited by Xenarzul on 4/14/2011 2:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
In regards to achievement mounts. I think the ones that were removed should by all means be brought back. Every player should have an equal chance to get a certain mount and not be given a mount for playing within a certain time frame. However, those that did obtain the mount when the raid was viable should be able to receive some type of compensation. Maybe a feat of strength or title.
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Druid
Some may argue that a diamond is still a diamond, even if it is one amongst millions. It still shines as brightly. ("Time's Arrow, Part I)

Star Trek: the Next Generation's Guinan seems to be in favor of returning the old mounts that were removed.
Edited by Lorinall on 4/14/2011 2:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
04/14/2011 02:29 PMPosted by Saring
In regards to achievement mounts. I think the ones that were removed should by all means be brought back. Every player should have an equal chance to get a certain mount and not be given a mount for playing within a certain time frame. However, those that did obtain the mount when the raid was viable should be able to receive some type of compensation. Maybe a feat of strength or title.

Black Qiraji Plox.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest

true, you can cheese through most of the fights, but you can't cheese your way to achievements like Shocking, Safety Dance, or And They Would All Go Down Together

I believe there's a way to cheese safety dance -- a spot people can stand safely for the whole fight. Not sure, though, I got the achievement the first time I killed heigan in 10m, and was never the cause of not getting it in 25m.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
The fire on Heigan ticks for ~7k. I'm not sure it'd even be possible to die to it anymore; so I suppose inasmuch as 'cheesing' means some sort of workaround, it wouldn't be cheesing.

All go down together requires them all dying withing 15seconds of each other. If my napkin math is correct, you could do the fight in 18seconds (25k dps; not at all hard with bloodlust and cds with no switches, obviously). I think that's pretty much the definition of cheesing.

Shocking would still be a retard check, and KT would be a (20second) retard check.

Pretty much the hardest part would be 'hey guys wanna go get a black protodrake?'.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
There are lots of bad players out there who would mess your chance up once a week :P
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
I for one would love for them to bring back the Naxx achieve mounts.

Unlike rare drop mounts that are based off RNG, achievements are part of the game and what a lot of people enjoy. Part of the joy of some of those achievements is being able to get the mounts that come with them. When you go through periods of time when you can't devote the time to progress during the prime of the raid due to circumstances out of your control like having to work or things have changed and you're using a different main character that you would still like to experience and get some of the older content achieves.

Like it has been previously stated, it really doesn't hurt anyone for the mounts to still be in the game and there are still some of the wrath content that still has its achieve mounts.

I understand some views that some people 'worked' hard to get the achieves back in the day but you choose to do so and you had the time to accomplish it, its a game. Other people, who had to work, are using a different toon or maybe is a newer player to wow, they shouldn't be punished because they weren't playing or able to play when the content was released they should be able to experience everything this game has to offer, and how far along the content has came along.

Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Really? it's not fair if you aren't able to experience WoW while riding on a particular color of proto-drake? And yall say the people who want it to stay rare are being silly about pixels...

Old content and challenges can't be experienced in remotely the same way anymore, you just want something and don't mind 'hurting' those whose warm fuzzies get diminished.

P.S. it stops being cool the minute you can go get it with minimal risk of failure and effort. It's a MMORPG, they're vanity items, it's how it works.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I think it is horrbile that you do not plan to add rewards for 100 and 125 pets when you rewarded them at 50 and 75. Come on, if we have the dedication to grab 100 or 125 pets we deserve a reward. Saying that you may add rewards in the future at 150 or 200 is just ridiculous. Please change your mind on the no reward idea, it is a slap in the face to us who went the distance.
Reply Quote
88 Orc Hunter
Stay away from my Reins of the Black Proto-Drake
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
I'm with you man. Makes no sense why they wouldn't reward at 100 and 125 when they are obviously harder to achieve.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
There are only 2 arguments against the reinstatement of the Naxx drakes, and both of them are terrible.

1) LOL I WOULD HAVE LIKED TO GO TO WOODSTOCK BUT CAN'T NOW 2 BAD. And/or BLACK BATTLE TANK PLZ. And/or EVERY ARENA SEASON MOUNT PLZ.

Woodstock is no longer happening, Naxx still is. It has not been removed. What's happening now is like if Woodstock is still going on, but anybody who attends it today that wasn't there in 1969 would be required to wear earplugs so they can't hear the music, which would be the only reason they'd attend in the first place.

Similarly, the gates are open on all servers, the war effort is over. The same can be said for past arena seasons, therefore the same argument applies.

2) I worked hard for that drake and I don't want my achivement cheapened. (I declined to put this argument in all caps because it's not nearly as stupid.)

Your achievement won't be cheapened. You'll still have that little timestamp on your achievement that indicates you worked hard for it instead of facerolling. That not good enough for you? How about the fact you've been able to flaunt the mount for exactly 2 years today? Still not good enough? Then you need to grow up.

Look at the way things are now. Blizz has come out and clearly said they no longer have any problems with "drake farming". That particular issue is off the table. This means that people now who work as hard as you did then will only be able to show off their mount until the next major content patch hits, which is only a few months, not 2 years.

There is only one major argument in favor of the drake's reinstatement, and nobody has been able to argue against it as of yet. It has nothing to do with fairness or anything, it's more about consistancy. It's simply that given that Blizzard has now decided that "drake farming" is ok, what reason is there for this policy to not be retroactively applied to the Naxx drakes?
Edited by Rastaban on 4/15/2011 12:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Druid
04/14/2011 09:23 PMPosted by Rastaban
It has nothing to do with fairness or anything, it's more about consistancy.
I wish there were more consistency in WOW. Some of the inconsistencies drive me nuts, and the issue with some rewards being removed and others not is one of them. I noticed that a ton of the "achievement mount" questions in the Q&A asked about consistency, or requested to know why one was removed when the other wasn't. The question said
Will you ever bring back the mounts for achievements that were removed (Naxx Glory runs) as you didn't remove the later mounts?
and they pretty much ignored the second half of it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]