Pet Scam, is Blizzard enabling?

90 Night Elf Rogue
This is against the ToU and is treated the same as buying gold. The person is trading RL money in the form of a pet for gold which is illegal.

The reason that it was revoked was most likely because the person who actually owned the card did a chargeback because it was stolen. Thus the items purchased with it were removed.

This policy is posted in the ToU that you agree to every time you get a new patch.

This paragraph of the ToU covers it

Ownership/Selling of the Account or Virtual Items.
Blizzard does not recognize the transfer of World of Warcraft Accounts or BNET Accounts (each an “Account”). You may not purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, or offer to purchase, sell, gift or trade any Account, and any such attempt shall be null and void. Blizzard owns, has licensed, or otherwise has rights to all of the content that appears in the Game. You agree that you have no right or title in or to any such content, including without limitation the virtual goods or currency appearing or originating in the Game, or any other attributes associated with any Account. Blizzard does not recognize any purported transfers of virtual property executed outside of the Game, or the purported sale, gift or trade in the “real world” of anything that appears or originates in the Game. Accordingly, you may not sell in-game items or currency for “real” money, or exchange those items or currency for value outside of the Game.
Edited by Denarus on 4/18/2011 6:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
The real question is, why are you enabling these scammers?

Obviously (yes this is super obvious) they used a stolen credit card, and the person disputed the charge. Obviously you knew you weren't supposed to buy pets in this manner, or else you wouldn't have felt skeptical about it to begin with.

By not refunding your purchase, blizzard is helping stop scammers, because you won't buy another pet thinking if you get scammed blizzard got your back son!
Edited by Sofar on 4/18/2011 6:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warlock
04/18/2011 05:41 AMPosted by Mcbeaner
So basically you were stupid and now blame blizz?

Exactly, Please OP don't blame blizzard for your stupidity.
Reply Quote
Trust your gut. You felt something was off about this and let yourself be convinced otherwise. You made a decision. Blizz had nothing to do with that.

Great advice man. I do that. It works. :)
Edited by Saphila on 4/18/2011 7:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
it is legal to trade blizzard pets to other players for gold. and also from loot cards.

The only problem is that they might not send it or the person might not give the gold etc etc.

Make sure you have a friend with you to witness your transaction. print screen every word. Then if you get ripped of send it into blizzard.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
To make a simpler explanation of what type of trading of wow stuffs:

IF you bought it in the real world for real world currency (real world being NOT WOW) and it eventually equates to something IN-GAME (like the TCG items or pets from the blizz store), then that is totally a legitimate transaction. These types of items are not allowed to be traded for gold (or any other item) in game, this is against the rules.

If you can buy it in game, any BOE item out there in the game, then you can trade it for game currency, but NOT for real world cash.

It's actually a bit simpler than that.

If you can put it in a trade window and trade it (such as the BoE MOUNTS you can redeem the TCG loot cards for) than it's legit to trade gold for (so it's a COMPLETELY IN GAME TRANSACTION).

The same is true out of game, you can sell TCG LOOT CARDS themselves (the codes, the cards) for RL money.

Where you cross the line is when you try and sell something that's out of game for in game gold (common items are 60 day time cards, TCG LOOT CARD codes, RAF mounts, TRH, pets, etc.) If blizzard was willing to allow this to happen, they would provide a way for you to redeem these into an item that can be traded in game (which they eventually did for the TCG LOOT CARD mounts simply due to the number of people who we're getting scammed by them, heck there are 2 of them on the AH on my server right now)
Reply Quote
What if I buy a pet and do not use it and give it to my niece for free on her own account?

Would that be illegal?

I do not see how that would break any rules.
I'm not sure how Blizzard would like you buying it and giving it to someone else yourself, but you can gift it to someone (through Blizzard) when you buy it.
Reply Quote
36 Gnome Rogue
04/18/2011 07:18 AMPosted by Zerican
it is legal to trade blizzard pets to other players for gold. and also from loot cards.

If you're talking about pets from the Blizzard store, no it isn't 'legal' to trade them for in-game gold. If you cannot claim the item in game, you cannot buy it with gold.

The mounts/pets/items from the loot cards are a totally different kettle of fish. The code directly off the loot card cannot be sold for in-game currency. The code that you get from the redemption website can be traded for in-game currency, as can the items you receive from Landro.

Frankly, OP, your lucky that Blizz didn't decide that you were selling-gold and action your account accordingly. Take this as a lesson learned and report these sorts of scams from now on.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
The ones on my server are usually selling - The RAF rocket, character transfers, race/faction changes, pets, etc.

I made a macro to counter theirs: "Faction changes require account login info. The person advertising this changes every few hours. I'm sure those two facts are totally unrelated!"
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
here's a question,

If you wanted the pet so bad, why didn't you just go to the blizz store and buy one yourself?

You clearly had the money to do so (from reading your credit card test bit of story), you clearly wanted one... so why after your gut reaction of scam would you just not go buy one?

If you were thinking to help that guy out cause he didn't want to go earn some gold by gameplay, why? Who cares if he is too lazy to go gather and craft or farm for AH'ables? How is that in anyway your job to do for him?

You know what the easiest part of this game is? Earning Gold. Why people feel the need for lazy shortcuts and gold farmers/buying I will never understand.

I think it would be harder NOT to earn money in WoW. That would make an interesting challenge... see if you can get to 85 without having more than 20g on your toon at any given moment.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior

The mounts/pets/items from the loot cards are a totally different kettle of fish. The code directly off the loot card cannot be sold for in-game currency. The code that you get from the redemption website can be traded for in-game currency, as can the items you receive from Landro.

I bolded half of what you said there, as it's INCORRECT. You can NOT sell the "code" that you get from the redemption website for in-game currency. The ONLY thing you can sell is the BoE item you get from Landro upon redeeming it. This is limited ONLY to the mounts, the rest of the items (tabards, etc.) are NOT BoE and thus are not eligible for in-game currency trading. I will dig up the blue post, but it pretty much comes down to whether or not you can put it in a trade window or not. You can't put a "code" into a trade window or on the AH, and thus can't sell it in game.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Kinda seems silly that you seriously would trust someone selling this.
Should of just bought the pets with $10.

Now that player is happy, laughing at you, and has 21k for free.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest

The guy did scam you, and Blizz likely actioned his account, too. But they'll never tell you this, as it's a player information privacy issue.

Traditionally, buying in-game items for in-game gold has been permitted by blizzard. No idea if that's the case in this partcular situation, but that tends to be where the line is drawn.
Edited by Mescyn on 4/18/2011 7:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior

The guy did scam you, and Blizz likely actioned his account, too. But they'll never tell you this, as it's a player information privacy issue.

Traditionally, buying in-game items for in-game gold has been permitted by blizzard. No idea if that's the case in this partcular situation, but that tends to be where the line is drawn.

This has been covered many times, but yes that's true. However these pet's weren't redeemed and available for trade in game, he sold him "CODES." You can't do that. If Blizzard made these BoE items upon redemption, than yes you could "sell the items."

So currently the only thing you can do this with is the WoW TCG Loot Card Mounts. You can redeem those for a BoE in-game item and happily sell it in trade, on the AH, etc. That's about it as far as out of game items you can redeem for an in-game item and sell. In a way this is a way to change RL money into gold, however due to the fact that the cheapest TCG Loot Card Mount is like $200 it puts it out of the reaches of most, and it also makes it REALLY difficult to actually sell the mounts in game, as they need to be priced in the 100's of thousands of gold. So if most servers are like the one I play on, these mounts just sit on the AH for weeks on end never getting purchased.
Edited by Pukka on 4/18/2011 7:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
edit: guys above me, be honest. Even if he had structured that post correctly, you wouldn't have read it. Don't attribute your laziness to his post.

If this wasnt a wall of text i might have made it past the first couple lines ...
Edited by Reshomi on 4/18/2011 11:21 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]