Marksman PVE Guide (4.1)

(Locked)

Marksmanship PVE Hunter Guide

**Update** This guide is current for Patch 4.1. Nothing has really changed for MM specifically.

Hello Hunter Community! I have frequented the Hunter forums since the release of World of Warcraft asking my own questions and providing answers where I could. Over the years I have always been thankful for the players who would write the Hunter guides because it would give me a place to go to answer any questions I may have had and get me on the right track.

Ever since Blizzard made the switch to the new forums, we have not had any stickied guides and I keep seeing many of the same questions appearing on the forums on a daily basis. It is because of this that I have decided to assemble a Marksmen PVE Hunter Guide. The Goal for this guide is to be a good starting point and provide basic Hunter related information for new or inexperienced hunters. This guide will contain everything a Hunter would need to perform adequate DPS in a Raiding environment.

This guide is will only cover material related to raiding and will not contain any PVP related information. There is a nice MM PVP guide written on the WoW EU Hunter forums that can be found here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1302896500

* Corrections and Updates
I ask that if anyone finds any inaccurate, unclear, misleading or omitted information, that you please notify me so that I can make the appropriate corrections. It is possible that I may make a typo or completely forget to include a crucial piece of information. I would never intentionally try to confuse or mislead anyone. I would also appreciate any suggestions that the Hunter community might have that would lead to a better guide. Hopefully this Guide can also spark a deeper conversation and discussion about the Hunter Class. I will also do my best to keep this guide updated as new information and patches are released.

* Special Thanks
This guide has been comprised from many different sources and my own personal experiences. Sources include: Hunter Discussion on Elitist Jerks, the WoW forums, Simulation Craft, Zeherah's Female Dwarf Calculator, wikis, Warcraft Hunters union, and many other community sites. I have attempted to give credit to these sources as appropriate throughout this guide.

Thank you to the following WoW Hunter Forum members for all their contributions that have helped polish this guide: Mendia, Zeherah, Leipreachan, Kaya, Refire, Adarant, Coren, Chorgahn

I would like to personally give big thanks to Zeherah and her Female Dwarf Calculator. I use this tool on a daily basis always tinkering and trying new gear configurations. This is in my opinion the single most helpful tool for any class. I believe Hunters are very luck to have a community member willing to spend time creating a tool that allows us to maximize our character. Thank you Zeherah for all your hard work.
Edited by Kalilah on 4/29/2011 8:31 AM PDT
*****************************************************************************************************************
CONTENTS
*****************************************************************************************************************

I. Introduction
* - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739087?page=1#2

II. Talents

III. Shot Priority
*- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739087?page=1#7

* Single Target
      * Careful Aim Phase: Boss Health > 80%
      * Standard Phase: Boss Health 80% - 20%
      * Termination Phase: Boss Health 25% - 20%
      * Execute Phase: Boss Health 20% - 0%
    * AoE Targets

IV. Stats and Optimization

V. Pets
*- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739087?page=1#13

VI. Gearing Guide
*- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739087?page=1#14

*Pre-Raid Setup
    *Best In Slot iLevel 359 only Setup
    *Best In Slot Setup

VII. Addons
*- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739087?page=1#15

VIII. Macros
*- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739087?page=1#16

IX. Tips and Tricks
*- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739087?page=1#17

*Specific Encounter tricks to maximize DPS
    *Cooldown Management

X. Links and Resources
*- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739087?page=1#19

*********************************************************************************
I. INTRODUCTION
*********************************************************************************

Marksmanship, with the appropriate Spec, Gear, and Shot Priority is currently the highest single target DPS spec for Hunters. Marksman is also very capable of multiple target DPS. MM DPS is very reliant on ranged weapon DPS as most of MM's shot formulas scale with weapon damage.

According to Simcraft the top DPS for each Hunter spec in T11 with full iLevel 372's is as follows:

31,256 Hunter_MM_T11_372
30,620 Hunter_MM_T11_372_Arcane
27,879 Hunter_BM_T11_372
26,244 Hunter_SV_T11_372

Link: http://www.simulationcraft.org/406/hunter_auto.html

As the chart above shows MM is ahead of BM by about ~10% and ahead of SV by ~11%. This does not mean that MM will always be the the best spec for every encounter. There are several current Raid encounters that are very SV friendly. For example, Heroic Halfus, Cho'Gal, and Maloriak are all fights where SV could out perform MM due to SV's very strong AOE capabilities.

Back to table of contents: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739087?page=1#2
Edited by Kalilah on 4/11/2011 8:09 AM PDT
II. SPEC, TALENTS, and GLYPHS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
SPEC

How Should I spec for Marksman?
There are several viable variations of the MM spec. The spec suggested is the one I am currently using. It is very common for End Game Hunters to change their spec to fit their Raid's individual needs on any specific encounter. There might not necessarily be "ONE BEST SPEC" for all fights, but instead a variation of a base spec for different encounters. During progression you should be flexible in adapting your spec to the needs of your raid or to help with specific encounter mechanics. Suggested below are few viable specs that maximize DPS but also include different utility abilities/buffs.

Simulation Craft Max DPS Spec: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#cMhMZfMG0GRMuroc

This spec picks up Trueshot Aura (TSA) which is not always needed in Raids. I personally prefer to take Silencing shot over TSA just for some added flexibility. Silencing shot is useful for encounters like Nef when your main interrupter misses the jump to the platform the first time and someone as to get an interrupt off.

Elitist Jerks Spec: http://www.wowhead.com/talent#ccbMZfRGoGoMuroc:VzkRf0M0z
Another viable alternative, this one picking up both Silencing Shot and TSA and leaving out Termination.

There are other viable specs that can include different utility talents depending on what a specific encounter dictates. I will cover the individual talents and why a Hunter Should/Should not pick each talent.

TALENTS
Which Talents are the most useful to Marksman Hunters?

Listed below is a brief analysis of each of the Hunter talents. You are forced to spend the first 31 talent points in Marksman and then you are left with 10 more talent points to spend in either Beast Mastery or Survival or a combination of both. The First 31 talent point combination's are described below.

MM Tier 1

• Go for the Throat (GftT): Gives your pet 5/10 focus each time your auto-shot crits. This talent is great for keeping your pet from running out of focus and keeping it using all its special abilities as needed. GftT will also provide a higher up-time for the pet talent "Wild Hunt", which allows your pet attacks to hit for 60% more when you pet is above 50 focus.
    *Recommendation = Mandatory 2/2

• Efficiency: This talent will reduce the cost of both Arcane(1) and Chimera(2) for each point spent. This will save focus each time these shots and ultimately lead to more of these shots being cast. This will also help Shot Priorities feel smoother.
    *Recommendation = Mandatory 3/3

• Rapid Killing: This talent provides a 10/20% damage increase to Aimed/Stead/Cobra upon receiving a Killing blow to a target that would yield experience or honor. This talent has an added effect depending on whether or not the talent "Rapid Recuperation" was taken or not (Which it should). Important thing to note is that you only need 1 point spent in Rapid Killing to receive the full benefit from Rapid Recuperation.
    *Recommendation = Optional, but no more than 1/2

MM Tier 2
  • Sic 'Em: This talent gives your pet a 50/100% chance to make a focus free attack after critically hitting with Arcane/Aimed shot. This talent is critical to maximizing Pet DPS.
    *Recommendation = Recommended 2/2

• Improved Steady shot: Casting Steady Shot twice in a row grants a 15% increase to ranged attack speed for 8 seconds. This will help reduce the cast time of Steady Shot and Aimed shot and the up time from this buff will play a large role in maintaining a high DPS shot priority.

• Careful Aim: Increases crit chance of Steady/Aimed/Cobra by 30/60% on targets above 80% health. This talent will provide a large DPS increase for the first 20% of a bosses health. This talent will also have an impact on our Shot Priority during this phase. Since this talent is a large DPS increase over Rapid Killing and there are not any other talents to take to help open up the 5th tier of the MM tree, we are almost forced to take this talent.

Back to Table of Contents: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739087?page=1#2
Edited by Kalilah on 4/11/2011 8:02 AM PDT
MM Tier 3
  • Silencing Shot: Silences and interrupts the target for 3 seconds on a 20 second cooldown. This is a "Utility" talent that can be beneficial in some situations. I prefer to pick up this talent as a "Just in Case" scenario for when one of our normal interrupters is Missing.
    *Recommendation = Optional

• Concussive Barrage: Chimera Shot/Multi-Shot attacks have a 50/100% chance to daze the target for 4 seconds. This talent is geared more towards PVP, but can be helpful in many Raid Situations. A good example would be the black oozes in the Cho'Gal encounter, or the Parasites in the Magmaw encounter. This talent can help slow the adds while being killed in AoE.

• Piercing Shots: Critical Aimed/Steady/Chimera shots cause the target to bleed for 10/20/30% of the damage dealt over 8 secs. This is a very large DPS increase for MM hunters and no MM spec should be without it. Taking into account that a typical Shot priority cycle will have a minimum of 4-6 of those shots, this equals out to be 2 piercing shot procs per cycle. This talent stacks with other bleed effects like Mangle or Ravage.

MM Tier 4
  • Bombardment: Focus cost of next Multi-Shot is reduced by 25/50% when you critically hit with Multi-Shot. Ideally you will only be using Multi-Shot when there are 3 or more targets, so this should proc nearly every time you cast Multi-Shot. This talent is optional since it only effects AoE damage situations, however there are not any other good alternatives, so this talent is usually taken.

• Trueshot Aura: Grants a 10% Attack Power buff to all party/raid members. This is can be a substantial DPS increase for the entire raid, however this is an optional talent because there are 3 other classes that bring this buff. This buff can be covered Enhance Shaman's Unleash Fury, Paladins Blessing of Might, and DK's Abominations Might. Very rarely will you find yourself in a 25/10 man raid without at least 1 of those buffs. Since a Druid's Mark of the Wild is the same as the Paladins Blessing, Paladins are now free to buff might whenever there is a Druid present.
    *Recommendation = Optional depending on your raid composition.

• Termination: Steady/Cobra shot grant an extra 3/6 focus when dealt on targets below 25% health. This talent can provide lots of extra focus during the termination phase of a boss. However it can also create a situation where we have more focus than we can use. This can happen because while maintaining the ISS buff by firing Steady Shot pairs and using Kill Shot starting at 20% health, there is not a lot of room for focus dumping, thus causing wasted focus.

• Resistance is Futile: 4/8% chance to have your Kill Command refund its focus cost when your marked target attempts to flee (move) for 8 seconds. Primarily a PvP talent that can be beneficial at times in PvE. This talent is generally avoided for a couple of reasons. One, there are many fights where the boss does not move or the strat does not call for moving the boss, thus not proccing RiF. Two, this buff requires your pet to be on the target. Three, you have to have the focus to cast KC when the RiF procs and then it refunds the cost after casting. You will not always have the focus available when it procs, which will causes focus issues.
    *Recommendation = Optional, usually avoided

MM Tier 5
  • Rapid Recuperation: Gain 6/12 focus every 3 seconds while under the effect of Rapid Fire and grants 50 focus when you gain the Rapid Killing buff. This is a good talent that provides extra focus during Rapid Fire.

• Master Marksman: Each Steady Shot has a 20/40/60% chance to grant Master Marksman effect (lasts 30 secs). Once reaching 5 stacks of Master Marksman, your next aimed shot is instant and costs zero focus. This is one of the main MM talents and and should proc a free instant aimed shot every 8 to 9 steady shots.

• Readiness: Immediately resets all Hunter abilities Cooldown. This is most used for back to back Rapid Fire Casts and Chimera/Kill shots when applicable. This talent is also useful for resetting MD, Traps, Deterrence, Feign Death, and Deterrence.
    *Recommendation = Mandatory 1/1

Back to Table of Contents: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739087?page=1#2
Edited by Kalilah on 4/11/2011 8:02 AM PDT
MM Tier 6
  • Posthaste: Reduces the cooldown of Rapid fire by 1/2 minutes and increases movement speed by 30% for 4 second after using disengage. The big benefit to this talent is the reduced time on Rapid Fire making it effectively a 3 min cooldown instead of 5 mins. The added bonus to increased speed after a disengage is also nice. This is a large DPS increasing talent.
    *Recommendation = Recommended 2/2

• Marked for Death: Arcane and Chimera shot have a 50/100% chance to apply the Marked for Death effect for 15 seconds. Marked for death for PvE is essentially the same as Hunters Mark. This talent is useful in that it allows you to mark the main target but still benefit from hunters mark when target switching and casting an arcane/Chimera shot. This will save a global cooldown and helps with not having to recast HM every time you are switching targets.

MM Tier 7
  • Chimera Shot: MM's Bread and Butter shot, our second highest damage shot which also extends the duration of serpent sting.
    *Recommendation = Mandatory 1/1

**Remaining 10 Talent Points**

Beast Mastery
  • Improved Kill Command: Increases crit chance of KC by 5/10%. This talent should be avoided since Kill command is rarely if ever used in the main MM shot priority.
    *Recommendation = NOT Recommended

• One with Nature: Increases Attack power bonus of Aspect of the Hawk by 10/20/30% and increases focus restored by Aspect of the Fox by 3. This is a very nice DPS increase for MM which is heavily reliant upon physical damage. This will effectively grant an extra 220/440/660 Attack power to Aspect of the Hawk.

• Bestial Discipline: Increases focus regeneration of your pets by 10/20/30%. This talent will keep your pet from being focus starved and is a good DPS increase.
    *Recommendation = Recommended 2/3

• Pathfinding: Increased the speed granted by Aspect of the Pack/Cheetah and also increases mounted speed. This talent has zero impact on DPS and is seen as a farming talent.

• Spirit Bond: While your pet is active, both pet and hunter regenerate 1% of health every 10 seconds and increases pet healing by 5%. This is mostly a BM filler talent and/or a soloing talent.

• Frenzy: Your pet gains 2/4/6% attack speed after attacking with a Basic Attack, lasting 5 seconds and stacking up to 5 times. This is a nice DPS increase for your pet and is a good talent to put the last 2 talent points, as they give the largest DPS benefit of anything that is left.
    *Recommendation = Recommended 2/3

• Improved Mend Pet: Gives the Mend Pet ability a 25/50% chance to remove curse/disease/magic/poison effect. Mostly a PvP BM talent, does not provide a DPS benefit in any way.
    Recommendation = NOT Recommended

Survival Talents
  • Hunter vs. wild: Increases stamina by by 5/10/15%. Primarily a PVP talent that does not provide any DPS benefit.

• Pathing: Increases ranged haste by 1/2/3%. This provides a nice DPS boost that also helps reduce the cast time of our Steady/Aimed shots. This is a large benefit especially to Aimed shot when we are hard casting Aimed shot during the careful aim phase. Of the choices available in the first tier of SV, this is our best option.
    *Recommendation = Recommended 3/3

• Improved Serpent Sting: Serpent Sting Deals instant damage equal to 15/30% of its total periodic effect and increases the periodic crit chance of SrS by 10%. Not a great talent for MM because the instant damage only happens on the initial application of Serpent Sting and not each time the duration is refreshed with Chimera shot. In most boss fights you are only applying Serpent at the start and then keeping it refreshed throughout the encounter.

Edited by Kalilah on 4/11/2011 8:03 AM PDT
GLYPHS
Which Glyphs should I use as Marksman?

Listed below is a brief analysis of the most commonly used Glyphs for Marksman.

***Prime Glyph's***
  • Glyph of Steady Shot - This is a MUST have glyph for MM. Each shot priority cycle contains an average of 4 to 5 steady shots.
    *Recommendation = Mandatory

• Glyph of Arcane Shot - This is another really good glyph since Arcane Shot is our main focus dump outside of the careful Aim phase.
    *Recommendation = Mandatory

• Glyph of Chimera Shot - This is usually considered our best 3rd option for a prime glyph slot. This allows us to cast our hardest hitting shot (besides Aimed) 1 second faster, thus allowing us to cast more per fight. However to get the full benefit of this glyph, you have to cast Chimera as soon as it comes off cooldown. Depending on gear and haste plateaus, this can have a serious impact on your shot priority cycle.
    *Recommendation = Recommended

• Glyph of Rapid Fire - This is a viable option now that MM Hunters hard cast Aimed shot while under haste effects. Under Non-Glyphed Rapid Fire our Steady Shots are already at the Global Cooldown, so this Glyph only really benefits the cast time of Aimed Shot and Auto Shot.

• Glyph of Kill Shot - This Glyph provides minimal benefit since Kill Shot is only usable for the last 20% of a bosses health. Also most shot priority cycles are focus positive and having to trade out another shot to fire a second Kill Shot can create situations where you are wasting focus.

• Glyph of Aimed Shot - This Glyph is not generally recommended since most hunters only hard cast Aimed shot while under haste effects like Rapid Fire or Heroism. However if you are Aimed Shot as your focus dump over Arcane shot, this glyph can be beneficial in smoothing out your focus.
    *Recommendation = Optional, based on your shot priority cycle.

• Glyph of Serpent Sting Increases the periodic critical strike chance of your Serpent Sting by 6%. This is a poor glyph for MM hunters because on average this glyph provides about an additional 6 extra serpent sting crits in a 5 minute fight. The damage from those crits is very small compared to the DPS gains from other prime glyphs.
    *Recommendation = NOT Recommended.

***Major Glyph's***
Most of the Major Glyphs do not provide a direct DPS increase but instead provide other helpful benefits. I will commonly switch out Major Glyphs depending on what encounter my guild is currently working on. All Major Glpyhs are optional and based on personal preference or encounter. I am only covering the most commonly used PvE glyphs in this section.

• Glyph of Trap Launcher - Out of all of our Major Glyphs, this is the one that you will most likely never switch out. This is a very handy glpyh and reduces the strain on our already small Focus pool when doing an encounter where launching traps is beneficial.

• Glyph of Disengage Decreases the cooldown by 5 seconds. This can be seen primarily as a PVP glyph, but can also be very handy in PvE where using disengage to reduce movement.

• Glyph of Silencing Shot Grants 10 Focus when successfully cast to interrupt an enemy's spell. The trick about this glyph is that your Silencing Shot has to be the one to register the interrupt. This glyph provides very little benefit considering how Hunters are rarely counted on for interrupting on a consistent basis.

• Glyph of Raptor Strike Reduces damage taken by 20% for 5 seconds after using Raptor Strike. This glyph has a couple situational uses. For example on Nefarian, raptor striking right before an Electrocute will reduce the amount of damage you take and help your healers. Another good place to use this glyph is on Maloriak and the fire breaths during the Red phase.

• Glyph of Ice Trap Increases the radius of your ice trap by 2 yards. This glyph can be beneficial on any fight where you are using Ice Trap to help with kiting adds.

***Minor Glyph's***
None of the Minor Glyphs provide any direct DPS benefit. I am not going to go into any analysis of of the Minor Glyphs and instead just list the ones that are most commonly used:
Glyph of Feign Death, Glyph of Revive Pet
Glyph of Lesser Proportion can be used if you want a smaller looking pet. This glyph replaced the Glyph of Mend pet in 4.1.

Edited by Kalilah on 5/31/2011 9:11 AM PDT
***************************************************************************************
III. SHOT PRIORITIES
***************************************************************************************

I am going to attempt to cover the basic MM Shot Priority Cycle at a high but effective level. I am going to avoid most of the math discussion and hopefully provide a basic Priority that will give new or inexperienced Hunters a basic understanding of the MM shot priority.

If you would like to see all the math and discussion behind the priority that I am describing here, please have a look over at EJ in section 6.0 of Whitefyst's post here:
http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t112408-cataclysm_marksmanship/

One of the first things to cover is the question: "Should I be using Cobra Shot as Marksman spec?". I see this question asked many times and the answer is NO. MM should not ever use Cobra Shot in their main Shot Priority cycles. Steady Shot is the filler shot for MM and linked to many different abilities and talents throughout the MM tree.

The MM hunter Shot Priority is very FLUID and because there are so many different factors that can modify the Shot Priority Cycle, Hunters have to be able to adapt on the fly. I am going to try and cover the basic rules and principles and provide some guidelines to help making adjustments on the fly.

At a high level the basic MM Shot Priority should follow the below rules (not necessarily in order):

• Always have Hunters Mark applied to the Main target before combat starts
  • Always apply Misdirection to the Tank before combat starts
  • Apply Serpent Sting when applicable
  • Cast Kill Shot when target health is 20% or below
  • Hard Cast Aimed Shot While under large haste effects like Rapid Fire or Heroism
  • Cast !Aimed Shot when procced by Master Marksman
  • Cast Chimera Shot on CD when NOT in the Careful Aim Phase to extend Serpent Sting duration
  • Cast Steady Shot in Pairs to regen focus, maintain ISS and to gain Master Marksman Procs
  • Cast Arcane Shot for Focus dump outside of any haste effects or in movement intensive fights
  • Use back to back Rapid Fire's with Readiness (Do not stack with Heroism/Bloodlust)

Single Target Shot Priority

What "Rotation" should I be doing?
The Shot priority for Single Target DPS can be broken up into 4 main phases: Careful Aim phase, Standard Phase, Termination Phase, Execute Phase. The 4 phases are determined by the targets health:

• Careful Aim Phase: Target Health > 80%
  • Standard Phase: Target Health 80% - 20%
  • Termination Phase: Target Health 25% - 20%
  • Execute Phase: Target Health 20% - 0%

**Careful Aim Phase Shot Priority**
The Careful Aim Phase is the first 20% of a Boss/Target's health. We call this the Careful Aim phase because of the talent Careful Aim, which grants Hunters an additional 60% crit to both Steady and Aimed Shot until the boss drops below 80% health. Because of Careful Aim talent we want to use Aimed Shot as our focus dump during this phase. However we want to cast 1 shot at the beginning of combat to use up some focus. This can be a pre-casted Aimed shot, Chimera Shot, or a Serpent Sting. This will use some focus so that it isn't wasted while casting our first 2 Steady Shots.

Because of the bonuses to Steady/Aimed Shot we DO NOT want to continuously re-apply Serpent Sting or use Chimera shot during this phase.

The basic Shot Priority for Careful Aim Phase is as follows:

• Start the fight by casting one of the following: *Aimed Shot*, Chimera Shot, or Serpent Sting
  • Hard Cast Aimed Shot as the Main Focus Dump
  • Cast Steady Shots in pairs to maintain ISS buff

*Aimed shot should be pre-casted while the tank is counting down to pull so that it lands as the tank pulls the boss. If this is not feasible, then cast a Chimera or Serpent Sting.

A typical Careful Aim Shot Priority cycle without any haste effects would look like (Assuming Serpent Sting has already been applied):

Steady x 2 --> Aimed --> Steady x 2 --> AimedWhen Master Marksman procs, replace one Hard casted Aimed shot with the instant !Aimed proc.

If under the effects of Rapid Fire/Hero/Bloodlust, adapt Shot Priority Cycle to:

Aimed --> Steady x 2 --> Aimed x 2 --> Steady x 2Replacing a Steady Shot when Master Marksman procs.

Edited by Kalilah on 4/14/2011 1:07 PM PDT
**Standard Phase Shot Priority**
The Standard Phase starts when the Boss/target's health reaches 79% and lasts until 20%. During this phase you will want to follow the Shot Priority rules below:

• Serpent Sting should have already been applied from CA phase, but if not, re-apply Serpent Sting
  • Cast Chimera Shot on Cooldown
  • Cast Arcane Shot for Focus Dump when not under Rapid Fire/Heroism/Bloodlust, otherwise cast Aimed Shot
  • Cast !Aimed Shot Master Marksman procs
  • Cast at least 1 pair of Steady shots per cycle to maintain ISS buff

A typical Shot Priority Cycle, while not under RF/Hero, will look like the following:

Chimera --> Arcane x2 --> Steady Shot x 5** **This order is Flexible; you could do: SSx2 --> Arcane --> SSx3 --> Arcane

You should receive an !Aimed Shot Master Marksman proc every other cycle. When Master Marksman procs, replace SS with !Aimed. Also depending on your Haste level and if you have the 4pT11 you may be able to fit in an extra Arcane Shot every other Cycle.

**Termination Phase**
The Termination Phase begins when the Boss/Target's Health reaches 25% and lasts 20% where it over laps with the execution phase until the Boss/Target is dead. The Termination Phase is only significant if you are spec'd for "Termination".

If you are spec'd for Termination, then you will have more focus to deal with and should drop a Steady Shot in favor of an Arcane shot to help even out your focus and to keep from becoming Focus capped.

If you are NOT spec'd for Termination, then this phase is exactly the same as the standard phase. Continue the Shot Priority Cycles from the Standard phase until you reach the Execute Phase.

**Execute phase**
The Execute Phase begins when the Boss/Target's health reaches 20% and Kill Shot becomes active. The Termination phase is very similar to the "Standard Phase" except now you have one more instant cast shot, Kill Shot, to work into your Shot Priority Cycle.

The basic rule of thumb is to replace a Steady Shot with Kill shot. A basic Execution Phase Shot Priority Cycle would look like:

Kill Shot --> Chimera Shot --> Arcane x 2 --> Steady Shot x 5** **This order is Flexible; you could do: SSx2 --> Arcane --> SSx3 --> Arcane

Your Execution Shot Priority cycle should look very similar to your Standard Shot Priority cycles except casting Kill Shot's like Master Marksman !Aimed Procs.

AOE Shot Priority

Marksman AoE shot Priorities are very simple compared to our single target priorities. We only have a few abilities to use for AoE packs. It is important to note that it is only worth using the AoE shot priority on packs of mobs that have 5 or more targets. If the pack has less than 4, is is better dps to use the single target shot priority.

Basic AoE Shot priority guidelines:
  • Cast Explosive Trap on cooldown (use trap launcher if needed)
  • !Aimed Shot Master Marksman Procs
  • Kill Shot when possible
  • Multi-Shot
  • Steady Shot in pairs to regen focus and to maintain ISS buff

A typical AoE Shot Priority cycle would look like:

Explosive Trap** --> Multi-Shot --> Steady Shot x 2 --> Multi-Shot x 2 --> Steady Shot x2
**Reapply Explosvie Trap on coodown if targets are not close to dead.

Edited by Kalilah on 4/11/2011 8:04 AM PDT
IV. Stats and Optimization

This section will cover everything related to stats and how to optimize our stats from gems, reforging, and enchanting to achieve the highest DPS possible. I will also describe how Haste and the different Haste Plateaus affect our DPS. This section will also briefly cover which consumables and professions help our DPS.

Stat Priorities

What Stats should I stack as a Hunter"
Below is the general priority in which we Marksman Hunters value stats:

Ranged Weapon DPS >> Agility > Crit > Haste >= Mastery >> Stamina

It is important to note and keep in mind that the value and priority of the secondary stats (Crit, Haste, Mastery) can and will change based upon your individual gear and current stats.

Ranged Weapon DPS
Because of the way that Marksman Hunter's primary shots are built to scale with weapon damage, our Ranged Weapon is by far our largest contributor to our DPS. You will see a larger DPS increase from your Ranged Weapon DPS than an increase from any other stat. It is for this reason that Marksman Hunters value a higher item level ranged weapon even if it has inferior stats such as Resilience.

Agility
Agility is our number one stat outside of Ranged Weapon DPS. This is the stat that you will find on all of our Mail gear. This is the stat that Hunters want to stack. Agility will affect the amount of DPS each shot does as well as how often that shot can crit. Agility provides both Attack Power and Critical Strike rating.

Taken from Whitefyst's EJ MM Hunter Post:
With the 5% stat buff and the 5% agility buff from wearing all mail and the 10% AP buff:
1 agility -> 1.1 agility (stat buff and mail bonus) =
2.2 AP -> 2.42 AP (AP buff) and
1.1/324.85 = 0.0034% crit or 0.607 crit rating

Since Agility is a non-reforgeable stat, Hunters generally want to stack as much agility as possible via Gear, gems, and Enchants.

Hit Rating
Hit Rating determines whether our shot will hit the target or miss. You cant crit what you cant hit and a missed shot does zero damage, thus it is important to never miss our targets.

The current Raiding Hit Cap for Hunter's is: 8%
120.109 Hit Rating = 1% chance to hit

8% Hit = 961 hit rating (841 if you are Draenei)

Hit rating is a reforgeable stat and is the preferred method of obtaining the right amount of hit. Any Hit rating over 961 is a wasted stat and it is desirable to get as close to 961 as possible with being under.

Attack Power
Attack power is covered briefly because since it is a stat in the game, but only in very limited areas. Attack Power is mostly limited to procs from trinkets or item like: Gnomish X-Ray Scope.

2 AP = 1 point of itemization

2 AP provides the same benefit as agility without the gains from buffs and crit. 2 Attack Power is roughly equivalent to 0.75 Agility.

Critical Strike Rating/Chance
After Ranged Weapon DPS, Agility and Hit Rating cap, Critical Strike is the next most important stat. With the way our Critical Strike has been lowered moving from Wrath to Cata and considering how much our DPS depends on Critical Strike, Hunter's should most likely be stacking Crit when possible.

Below are a few of the reasons why Critical Strike is important to hunters:
  • Each shot does more damage when it crits. All Shots with the exception of Serpent Sting, do 100% more damage for a total of 200% damage).
  • Chimera, Aimed, and Steady Shot all proc the Piercing Shot bleed effect for an additional 30% damage
  • Hunter Pets inherit our Crit Rating, thus allowing them to scale with our Crit Rating.
  • Hunters have talents that are based off of crit, like Go for the Throat and Sic'Em, which provide more focus for our pets, thus increasing DPS.
  • Hunter Pet's have abilities based on crit such as Culling of the Herd, which helps increase Hunter DPS.

The Hard Cap on Crit is 100%, which is unobtainable with currently available gear,
Blizzard has also ensured us that we will never see again the hard Crit Cap again.

There is one soft cap to keep in mind and that has to deal with the Careful Aim talent. The Careful Aim talent provides 30/60% crit to our Steady and Aimed Shot's on targets above 80% health. This means that if you have a 40.6% Critical Strike chance your Steady and Aimed Shots will be Crit Capped during the first 20% of a bosses health. This doesn't mean that you should stop acquiring Critical Strike rating at this level, it just means that Critical Strike Rating will be "Slightly" less valuable than it is before this soft cap.
Edited by Kalilah on 4/11/2011 7:48 AM PDT
Mastery Rating
The Marksman Hunter's Mastery is Wild Quiver. Wild Quiver Grants a 14.4% chance for your ranged attacks to also instantly fire an additional ranged shot. Each point of Mastery increases the chance by an additional 2.1%.

Wild Quiver can proc from any of our special attacks as well as our Auto Shot. It also has a chance to proc from each individual shot from Multi-Shot.

It takes 179.28 Mastery Rating to equal one point of Mastery
One point of Mastery adds a 2.1% chance to proc a Wild Quiver shot on every ranged attack

Mastery is usually the least desired stat for Marksman hunters and is the stat most often reforged into Crit, Hit or Haste.

Haste Rating
Haste is the most complicated and confusing stat when trying to get the "right" amount for maximum DPS. Haste can go from your highest valued secondary stat to your lowest depending on the situation.

128.057 Haste Rating = 1% Haste

Haste provides the following benefits:
  • Increases the number of Autoshots and subsequently increases Wild Quiver procs
  • Reduces the cast time of Steady Shot, potentially allowing more Steady Shots to be cast in a Shot Priority Cycle.
  • Reduces the cast time of Aimed Shot. This allows for a greater number of hard casted Aimed Shots.
  • Increases both Hunter and Pet Focus regen rate.
  • Because Pets inherit the hunters stats, Haste increases Pets attack speed.
  • Increases the up time or effect of proc abilities such as Piercing Shots and trinket stacking.

Unfortunately and unlike other Classes, Haste does not increase how often our DoT's tick for damage. Serpent Sting will have the same number of ticks no matter how high your haste rating is.

Haste Plateaus
How much Haste do I need?

All Haste Calcualtions described in this section have come from Whitefyst 's MM post on EJ and Frostheims Haste calculations on WHU. I am just reiterating their information here as it applies to this guide.

Whitefyst's post can be found here: http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t112408-cataclysm_marksmanship/

Frostheim's Post can be found here: http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/2011/03/mm-hunter-rotation-haste-plateaus/

Also have a look at Chorgahn's post in this thread below for easy to understand Haste Calculations:
*- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2267490605?page=6#113

Haste is best when it pushes you to the next Plateau where you can add an additional shot (Steady and/or Arcane) into your Priority cycle. A Shot Priority Cycle consists of a set number of Shots that can be fired between each Chimera Shot cooldown. It is important to note that the Glyph of Chimera Shot and the Hunter Tier-11 four piece bonus Lightning-Charged Tunic will affect your Haste Plateau and your Shot Priority Cycle.

There are couple of different Haste Plateaus which are obtainable and will have an effect on your Shot Priority Cycle. The Haste Plateaus discussed below only pertain to Shot Priorities using Arcane as their focus dump for the Standard Phase.

All Haste Plateau Calculations will assume that you are fully raid buffed with the 10% attack Speed buff, 15% ISS Buff, and 3/3 in pathing. The required Haste listed below is from Gear ONLY.

*** First MM Haste Plateau (9.64) ***
The First Haste Plateau is relatively easy to achieve and you may already be there without doing any additional tweaking/reforging to gear. The first Plateau is for the Hunters that DO NOT have their T11 4p Set bonus yet.

The following Recommendations for this Haste Plateau are as follows:

• Requires: 9.64% Haste or 1235 Haste Rating**
  • Do NOT use: Glyph of Chimera Shot
  • Use the following Shot Priority Cycle:
    Chimera --> Arcane x 2 --> Steady x 5 (shot order is flexible w/ Steadies in pairs)
  • Replace the 5th Steady Shot with any instant !Aimed MM procs

**Slightly more haste may be desirable depending on your latency

This will provide a nice tight 9 second Shot Priority Cycle.

Edited by Kalilah on 4/11/2011 8:04 AM PDT
*** Second MM Haste Plateau (10.52) ***
The Second MM haste Plateau takes a little more haste, uses the 4p T11 set bonus and the Glyph of Chimera Shot. This is currently the best Haste Plateau to be at.

The following recommendations for this Haste Plateau are as follows:
  • Requires: 10.52% Haste or 1347 Haste Rating**
  • Requires both the Glyph of Chimera Shot and the 4p T11 Set Bonus.
  • Use the Following Shot Priority Cycle:
    Chimera --> Arcane x 2 --> Steady x 5 (shot order flexible w/steady in pairs)
  • For every third !Aimed Shot MM proc replace an Arcane Shot instead of a Steady Shot.

** Slightly less haste will still allow the Shot Priority Cycle to be sustainable but will delay your Chimera Shot. Slightly more haste may be desired depending on your latency.

***Third MM Haste Plateau***
There is a third MM Haste Plateau, but with the gear needed to support this Plateau currently is not available and so I am not going to cover it in detail except to say that there is one that exists. If you want to see the math and haste values need to obtain this plateau, please have a look at Frostheim's post or Whitefyst's, which are linked above.

Gems
What Gems should I use in what slots?

The general rule of thumb when considering what to Gem is to stack as much agility as possible. We dont ever want to Gem just to reach the Hit cap. You are better off stacking agility and reforging one of our secondary stats into Hit. We also NEVER, EVER want to Gem for straight Haste/Mastery/Stamina.

It is a good idea to use a gem with "Agility/(secondary Stat)" in yellow or blue slots if the socket bonus is worth obtaining. Socket bonuses need to be evaluated. A good example of a socket bonus to Gem for would be in our Tier Chest piece: Lightning-Charged Tunic. The chest piece has 1 Blue and 1 Red socket. If we used 2 Agi gems our total would be 80 Agility and we would loose the socket bonus. However if we used 1 Agi gem and 1 Agi/Hit gem, we would get the socket bonus and get 80 agility and 20 hit.

Below are the guidelines for picking the right gem for the right socket:

Enchants
How should I Enchant my gear?

Below is a slot by slot list of the best enchants for Marksman Hunters:

Edited by Kalilah on 5/5/2011 12:53 PM PDT
Reforging
How do I Reforge my Gear?
With the ability to reforge our gear we have the opportunity to tweak our gear for ideal DPS. But Which Stats should I Reforge and into what other stat? This can be a daunting and confusing task.

First I recommend using a tool like Zeherah's Female Dwarf Calculator or and addon such as Reforgenator to help with the planning of reforging your gear. Using these tools will save you a ton of gold.

Next, follow Whitefyst's Reforging Guidelines. He explains it perfectly here:

This is a basic way to approach reforging that covers most situations:
  • 1. In each slot, put on your best individual DPS item, ignoring the hit cap. This will generally be your highest item level mail item, preferring hit/crit over mastery/haste.
  • 2. Gem in the way described earlier.

*If you are under the hit cap of 961:
  • 3A. Start reforging mastery to hit. If you still need more hit, then reforge crit or haste, if have more than you ideally need, to hit.
  • 4A. If you still don't reach the hit cap, don't worry about it. It's generally not worth giving up agility (via gems or using lower item level gear) to get more hit rating but if you have a reasonable socket bonus you can gain by using a Glinting, then you may want to do so.

*If you were over the hit cap of 961:
  • 3B. Start reforging hit to crit on pieces with haste and no crit and to haste on items without haste if you could use more.
  • 4B. Then start reforging hit to mastery on any items without mastery.
  • 5. Once you are at hit cap, if any of your items are hit/mastery and un-reforged, you can reforge the mastery to crit or haste as long as you stay in a good haste range.
  • 6. There's some possible further optimization by reforging haste/mastery to hit on some items and reforging the hit back to crit on others, but worrying about that is for the hardcore optimizers.

Here are a couple additional points to add to Whitefyst's guidelines:
  • Once you start obtaining better gear, you will find you have more options to reforge. Once you are hit capped and still have pieces of gear that haven't been reforged, start reforging to until you are just over the nearest Haste Plateaus.

• If you have more haste than is required for the current Haste Plateau but not enough to reach the next Plateau, reforge that excess haste into Crit/Mastery.

• If you are just under the next reachable haste plateau, reforge Mastery/Crit (without sacrificing too much Crit) until you are just over the plateau.

Professions

What are good professions for a Hunter?
Blizzard has done a pretty good job of evening out the profession bonuses and all professions provide the same basic gains. I will briefly cover Professions and their bonuses relevant to Marksman Hunters below.

• Jewelcrafting: The ability to socket 3 Delicate Chimera's Eye provides 81 extra agility.
  • Leatherworking: Draconic Embossment (130 agi to bracers) provides 80 extra agility.
  • Blacksmithing: Extra Glove and wrist sockets provides extra 80 agility.
  • Alchemy: Mixology with Flask provides an extra 80 agility.
  • Inscription: Swiftsteel Inscription provides an extra 80 agility.
  • Engineering: Synapse Springs equal out to roughly 80 agility. Engineering also provides some other advantages that are hard to quantify into DPS terms like Flexweave Underlay, Rocket boosts, and Engineering only Goggles.
  • Enchanting: Allows you to enchant each ring with +40 Agility for a total of 80 Agility.

**Recommendation: Pick any two of the professions above and take advantage of their profession only perks.

Consumables
What Flasks, Food and potions should I use?
The consumable's listed below will provide the greatest benefit to MM hunters:

Edited by Kalilah on 4/25/2011 6:31 AM PDT
V. Pets

Which Pet Does the Most DPS?
Answer: Watch this short Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhvvNGeHHME

Blizzard has normalized pet DPS so that they all do roughly the same DPS overall. The main decision when choosing a pet is what Buff/Debuff is the raid missing that can be filled by my pet. Choosing a pet that buffs the raid will outweigh any personal DPS loss by bringing that pet.

If all raid buffs/debuffs are covered, then bring which ever pet (Ferocity or Cunning) will provide the greatest personal DPS. Generally a Ferocity pet will provide slightly more DPS due to "Call of the Wild" which buffs both the Hunter's and Pet's Attack power.

There are a couple of situations to consider when choosing whether to use a Ferocity pet or a Cunning pet. A Cunning pet will typically do more of the overall DPS While a Hunter will do more overall DPS with a Ferocity pet. This means that if the fight will have higher pet up-time a Cunning pet would be a good choice and conversely if the Hunter will have more boss up-time a Ferocity pet would be the best choice.
Two good examples would be:
1) using a ferocity pet on Atramedes because of the higher Hunter up-time and
2) using a cunning pet on Cho'Gal because of the high pet up-time.

What Hunter Stats get converted to Pet Stats?
The following is a list of how a pet's stats are transferred from their master.
Pets Gain:

42.5% of hunter AP
70% of hunter armor
100% of hunter hit as both hit and expertise (so if you are hit capped, your pet is hit and exp capped)
100% of hunter haste
100% of hunter crit

Ferocity
67% of hunter stamina

Cunning
72.5% of hunter stamina

Tenacity
78% of hunter stamina
Source: http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/2010/10/level-85-cataclysm-hunter-combat-ratings-stat-conversions/

Pet Specs

Below are links to the current Highest DPS Specs for pets:

Ferocity: http://www.wowhead.com/petcalc#0Md00sc00hoko

Cunning: http://www.wowhead.com/petcalc#Mrbo00fhoMo0b

Tenacity: http://www.wowhead.com/petcalc#MMd0u0hzb0kM**
** Note that Tenacity pets are not recommended as DPS pets and should only be used if they provide a missing raid buff/Debuff.

Pet Raid Buffs

Which pet brings which Raid Buff?
Below is a recommended list of pets that all hunters should have in their stables. This list will cover all raid buffs/Debuffs.
  • Cat - provides Strength and Agility
  • Wolf - provides 5% crit
  • Raptor - provides 12% armor Debuff
  • Carrion Bird - 10% Physical Damage Debuff
  • Hyena - 30% bleed damage Debuff
  • Sporebat - 30% cast speed reduction
  • Tallstrider or Fox - 10% Melee attack speed slow Debuff
  • Ravager - 4% physical damage vulnerability Debuff
  • Dragonhawk or Wind Serpent - 8% spell damage taken Debuff

Exotic BM only pets:
  • Corehound – exotic - Heroism/Bloodlust/Timewarp plus cast speed reduction
  • Silithid – exotic - Stamina buff
  • Shale Spider – exotic - 5% buff to stats

Sometimes it may be difficult to determine out which pet you need to bring based on your raid composition due to raiders constantly switching specs. A couple of good resources to help determine which raid buff a Hunter can provide with their pet are:

• Hunter Pet Flow Chart: http://forthebubbles.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/petflowchart3.jpg?w=744&h=684

• Raid Checklist: http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/raid_checklist.aspx

Edited by Kalilah on 4/26/2011 6:54 AM PDT
VI. Gearing Guide

This section will cover a basic Pre-Raid Gear setup and the current BIS Gear setup as suggested by Simcraft.

Pre-Raiding Gear Checklist

How do I know when I am ready for Raids?
This section will give new hunters some idea of the minimum level of gear needed to enter Cataclysm Tier 11 raids. Below is a slot by slot list of gear that would be a good starting point to enter T11 raiding:

Best In Slot Gear Pre-Hard Mode Raiding Checklist

Below is a BIS iLevel 359 Gear Checklist as contributed by Leipreachan

Note1: Any hunter than can get the 4pT11 using Lightning-Charged Tunic should do so prior to getting the head from Nefarian.

Best In Slot Gear Checklist

Below is a BIS Gear checklist for MM as shown by Simcraft.

source: http://www.simulationcraft.org/410/hunter_auto.html#Hunter_MM_T11_372

If you are having problems getting Ranged Weapons to drop in Raids, there are a few good alternative that you can get from PVP that will be an upgrade to any of the 346 items:

The following ranged weapons can be obtained by winning 5 arena games per week for 3 weeks:
Vicious Gladiator's Longbow
Vicious Gladiator's Rifle
Vicious Gladiator's Heavy Crossbow

Edited by Kalilah on 4/11/2011 8:05 AM PDT
VII. Addons

What are some suggested Addons for Hunters?
While it is entirely possible to play with the default UI, Mods and Addons can provide a different view of the game making critical information readily available. Addons are a personal choice and what works for one person may not be the best for a different person.
Listed below are some of the most common Raiding addons as well as a few addons that I personally use for my Hunter.

Deadly Boss Mods
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/deadly-boss-mods.aspx
Deadly Boss Mods is a boss alert mod. It consists of many individual "boss modules", mini addons that are designed to trigger alert messages and timer bars for one specific raid boss each. Instance modules will be loaded and enabled when you enter the corresponding instance.

Deadly Boss Mods or another type of Boss mods like Big Wigs or DXE are usually required for raiding.

Omen Threat Meter
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/omen-threat-meter.aspx
Omen is a threat meter. Another generally required raiding addon to help manage threat.

Recount
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/recount.aspx
Recount is a damage meter addon for World of Warcraft. The addon views activity in the combat log, and uses that information to provide tables and graphs showing the damage and healing distribution of a group or raid.

Recount has many more uses than just measuring DPS/HPS. Recount can show keep track of everyone's death and how they died, it can track damage done to mobs/adds, it tracks damage taken, and many other options. Recount is a very useful tool.

Power Auras
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/powerauras-classic.aspx
Initially created to give visual cues for short duration procs like "clear casting" or some boost trinket you activate, many more aura triggers have been added since. It now works with debuffs (whatever their name), debuff types (like Magic or Curse), combo points, harmful area spells, weapon enchants, Health, Mana, Rage or Energy thresholds, action cooldowns, aggro, pvp status and stance or shapeshift form.

For me, Power Auras is probably the most beneficial and valuable addon I have. I use it to track all types of personal procs, buffs, and debuffs as well target buffs/debuffs.

Stay Focused! + Stay Focused! Hunter Helper
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info18243-StayFocusedHunterHelper.html
A very simple addon that implements a color-coded focus bar for hunters. It's blue when you have enough focus to dump one or more Arcane Shots and still have enough to fire your main shot (Explosive / Chimera / Kill Command) when it comes off cooldown. It's red when you don't have enough focus for your main shot.

This is a very good lightweight addon to help manage your focus. You can quickly identify how much focus you have based on the color. Another one of my favorite addons.

JS' Hunter bar
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/js-hunter-focus-bar.aspx
This is a bar addon to help manage focus very similar to Stay Focused except JS Hunter bar has the ability track other cooldowns plus many other features.

Quartz
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/quartz.aspx
Quartz is a modular approach to a casting bar addon.

Quartz replaces the default blizzard casting bar and provides several useful options.

Forte Xorcist
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/fortexorcist.aspx
ForteXorcist is a do it all spell and cooldown timer made predominantly for Warlocks and Death Knights but usable by any class.

What ForteXorcist is meant to do for most classes is provide an all in one spell and cooldown timer. This is an important thing for Hunters as most players like to have a central visual way to see what is almost off cooldown rather than watching icons to become available again.

Raid Checklist
http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/details/raid_checklist.aspx
RaidChecklist provides an at-a-glance overview of which core Cataclysm buffs, debuffs, dispels and crowd control abilities are available in the raid at the moment, and what class/spec/pet could bring each.

Raid Checklist is very beneficial for hunters in quickly determining which pet to use.

Back to table of contents: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2369739087?page=1#2
Edited by Kalilah on 4/25/2011 8:04 AM PDT
VIII. Macros

I need a macro that will do ______.
There are many web resources that provide good Hunter Macros as well as instruction on how to create you own.

Strlder has done a Fabulous job writing a comprehensive macro guide. The link to his guide can be found here:

*- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2416111670

Listed below are a few of the MM Hunter related Macros that I find the most useful.

Aspect Swapping Macro
/cast !Aspect of the Hawk
/cast Aspect of the Fox

This macro switches between AotH and AotF with one button. This will also keep you in Hawk if you are already there and accidentally press the button.

All in one Misdirection Macro
#showtooltip Misdirection
/[mod:shift] Target=Focus
/cast [@focus,help][@pet,exists] Misdirection

This macro will cast MD on your focus target, if you dont have a focus target it will cast it on your pet. This macro will also set your target as your focus when pressing shift.

Mouse over Tranquilizing Shot
#showtooltip Tranquilizing Shot
/stopcasting
/cast [target=mouseover,help] Tranquilizing Shot

Simple mouse over Tranq shot macro.

All in one Pet Care Macro
/cast [nopet] Call Pet 1
/cast [@pet,dead][mod:shift] Revive Pet
/cast [pet,mod:alt] Mend Pet
/cast [pet,mod:ctrl] Dismiss Pet

This macro will call the pet in your first slot, revive pet when used with Shift, Mend pet when used with alt, and dismiss pet when used with ctrl.

Deterrence / Cancel Deterrence
/cancelaura Deterrence
/cast Deterrence

Casts Deterrence or cancels Deterrence if it is up.

Blow All Cooldowns
/cast Rapid Fire
/cast Call of the Wild
/cast Rabid
/use 13
/use 14
/use 10
/use Potion of Tol'vir

13 and 14 are trinket slot locations and 10 is the engineering gloves tinker.

I am sure there are several other macros that different players find useful for their style of play. I just wanted to list a few of the most helpful macros.

Edited by Kalilah on 4/21/2011 10:52 AM PDT
IX. Tips and Tricks

What are some Tips and Tricks to Maximize my DPS as a Hunter?
This section will cover both strategies that will maximize DPS and encounter specific tricks that may make the fight easier for Hunters.

Maximizing Hunter DPS

There are several little things that Hunters can do that will have a large impact on their final DPS. Combining and mastering all these strategies will greatly improve your DPS. You may already do many or all of the things on the list below, but there is always room for improvement.

Maximize the number of GCD's - DPS is directly related to Global Cool Downs. The more Global Cool Downs you can fit into a fight the higher your DPS will be. You should always have an ability queued up and ready to go. Instead of waiting to make a decision when a proc happens, train yourself to always have an ability queued up no matter what is going on and then be ready to adapt once you have had another second to think.

Reduce Movement - Reducing the amount of time spent moving will translate into larger DPS gains. Try to plan your movement ahead of time and be Proactive instead of Reactive. This will allow more time to effectively DPS. Master using Hunter abilities like Disengage to move quickly across a room if needed.

Aspect Swapping - Aspect of the Fox allows us to cast our Steady Shots on the move and anytime you are going to be on the move for more than one second (the length of a GCD) you should be in aspect of the Fox. AotF is on its own GCD and you should be able to make the switch seamlessly from AotH any time you are forced to move. Once you arrive at your next spot, you should immediately swap back to AotH. This can be easily practiced on a target dummy.

Effectively Manage your Cooldowns Knowing when to use DPS Cooldowns, Potions, and on use items can have a very large effect on your DPS. Use Cooldowns like Rapid Fire when you know you wont have to move for at least 15 seconds to maximize its benefit. Plan the use of cooldowns ahead of time. Be aware of the length of the fight to plan when to use Cooldowns and how many times you will be able to use them.

Encounter specific Tips and Tricks

This idea is taken from the thread on Elitist Jerks where Hunters have collaborated on different Tips and Tricks that work on each of the Boss encounters in T11 Raiding.

Original Link: http://elitistjerks.com/f74/t116125-hunting_high_low_encounter_tips_tricks/

*** Blackwing Descent ***

Omnitron Defense System
  • Magamatron's "Acquiring Target" ability can be dropped with Feign Death or completely negated with Deterrence.
  • Deterrence will also block the Poision Bomb explosions and Incineration Security Measure.
  • Using Disengage is a great way to quickly move into Arcanotron's power generator puddles. You will want to maximize your time in these puddles as they will greatly increase your DPS.
  • If Arcanotron is the first construct save Rapid Fire for when he drops a power generator puddle.

• Magmaw
  • Save Rapid Fires for the Exposed Phases Head Phases

• Maloriak
  • Red Phase - Deterrence will prevent any damage from his Fire Breaths. This is especially useful on heroic to help the healers out.
  • Green Phase - Pooling focus right before a Green Phase will allow for max AoE damage on Adds.
  • Green Phase - Make sure to get an Explosive Trap down under the adds for added AoE damage.
  • Absolute Zero - Orbs in P2 can be deflected with deterrence.
  • Remedy - This can be removed by Tranq Shot. I have a Power Aura string created to show me when this buff is on Maloriak for special circumstances. On our first heroic kill our Shaman died and I was the only other one that could remove the Debuff, this came in handy.

• Atramedes
  • Sonic Breath - This can be disengaged through and you will not take any damage or sound as long as the breath does not hit your first position before you land.
  • Sonic Breath - Can be reflected with Deterrence.
  • Tracking - Using Feign Death while being tracked in either air phase or ground phase will cancel the spell entirely.

Edited by Kalilah on 4/11/2011 8:06 AM PDT
    Chimeraon
  • Caustic Slime - Wait to cast Chimera Shot until after this Debuff fades. This will ensure you will not miss Chimearon and thus will not let Serpent Sting fall off.
  • Pet Intervene - It can be beneficial, especially when learning the fight, to use a Turtle pet speced for Shell Shield and Intervene to intercept the Double Attack during Feuds phase to help prevent your tank from becoming insta gibbed.

• Nefarian
  • Pet - Keeping your pet on passive and manually assigning it to a target will help keep it alive in Phase 2 when it would normally get killed by the lava. It may also be necessary to manually move your pet with the move command to make sure it is out of the lava.
  • Shadow Flame Barrage - This can be reflected with deterrence
  • Electrocute - Using [spell="64246" /] and Raptor Striking right before each Electrocute will help reduce the amount of damage you take.

*** Bastion of Twilight ***

Halfus
  • No special tricks/tips

• Valiona and Theralion
  • Flame Breath - Can be deflected by Deterrence, however Flame Breath lasts longer than Deterrence's duration.
  • Twilight Meteor - Feign Death will cancel the meteor completely. Deterrence will also reflect the damage.
  • Utilize Disengage when spreading out after "Blackouts".
  • Pet - Make sure to switch your pet to the current dragon being dps'd so that he isn't just standing underneath the one in the air doing nothing.

• Ascendant Council
  • Utilize Disengage after Ignacious charges to return to your original spot.

• Cho'Gall
  • Mind controls can be broken with Scatter Shot.
  • If planning on remaining MM for this fight, a spec with Bombardment and Concussive Barrage plus a frost trap will effectively handle the Congealed Blood Oozes.

*** Throne of the Four Winds ***

Conclave of Winds
  • Masters Call - Prevents immunity from ice patches on Nezir's platform.

• Al'Akir
  • Disengage - You can disengage through the Squall Line(Tornadoes) as long as they do not cross your starting spot before you land.
  • Disengage - You can Disengage back onto the platform after getting knocked off by wind burst. This is demonstrated by Paragons Hunter Devai in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGeY1Hxv-u8
  • Masters Call - This will prevent immunity on the ice patches while active.

Edited by Kalilah on 4/11/2011 8:07 AM PDT
X. Links and Resources

Where did all this information come from and where can I get more?

Listed below are Links that contain very useful Hunter Information. Many if not all of these links were used in compiling this guide:

• http://elitistjerks.com/f74/

• http://www.femaledwarf.com/

• http://www.simulationcraft.org

• http://www.warcrafthuntersunion.com/

• http://www.wowhead.com

• http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/1012664/

• http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addons/default.aspx

There are a few Hunter specific guides over on the WoW EU Hunter forums that may be of interest. The links can be found below:

[PVP] MM Hunter Guide - All You Need to Know: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1302896500

The Beginner Hunter's PVP Guide: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/1549391854

Pets Buffs/Debuffs: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/824972647

This guide has been copied from My original post. The Original Post contain lots of valuable information from the Hunter community and can be found at the following link:
*- http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2267490605

Edited by Kalilah on 4/11/2011 1:12 PM PDT
4/25 * Updated Professions (added Enchanting) + added JS' Hunter Bar Addon
4/26 * Updated Pet Scaling stats
Edited by Kalilah on 4/26/2011 6:56 AM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]