Why raise level cap in each expansion?

85 Goblin Mage
What's the point?
To make players feel more powerful?
To make players do more quests?
Can't blizzard just introduce new skills,raids or maybe classes&races to WOW without raising the level cap?
Is it really necessary?

By raising the level cap, new players will never have the chance to do "old" raids.

That's really a pity.
Imagine if we were still at lvl60 in this expansion and all the lvl70,80, 85 contents are re-amplified to lvl60, we could do so many more classic raids. Those old contents would become challenging and interesting once again.
Wow would then feel like a "World" instead of just org,TB, arenas, dungeons and 3 raids.

The only reason to raise level cap I can think of is, if people are getting better gear in each expansion, they may become too powerful as time goes by.

Here is my suggestion:
Blizzard can change the parameters to make it right.
For example, in patch 4.0, 400 intellect offers 400 extra spell dmg, in patch 4.1 400 intellect may offer only 360 extra dmg. So if you want 400 extra dmg, you need new gear or 'upgrade' your former gear.

1. By 'upgrade', I mean you can use justice(honor)/valor(conquest) points to increase your gear's item level. You can use justice point to upgrade gear from 1 to 346, valor points to upgrade the gear from 346 to 359.Old raid should offer (less)valor points too because they don't become easier. In each expansion, there is a hard item level cap, meaning you can't infinitely increase the item level.

2. Make the items with same item level have the same states, no matter it's grey or purple.So that players can use whatever gear that they like. It would be cool if you were wearing grey gears and could still do well in everything. On the other hand, make the purple ones really rare and have extra fun(non combat) effects. Make the bosses drop white or even grey gears with high item level and have a small chance of epic gear drop instead of dropping all purple ones.

Maybe that sounds too complicated, but all I want is to do the old raids and experience the world as it was. Why should we pay for 4 expansions when all we can do is 3 raids in PVE?
Isn't it better if blizzard don't raise the level cap? Will you be exited if in the next expansion, we became lvl60 and could do all the classic raids again?

Thank you for reading this and please tell me what do you think of this idea.
Sorry for bad English.
Edited by Lobukong on 4/17/2011 3:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Any response?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
They raise level cap to give people something to do other than gear insanely high. They must input new quests to explain new lore.

If you really want to do old content raids, which I admit can be very fun, try making a twink guild. There are quite a few on my server. They are 60, 70, and even a few 80, that dedicate themselves to nothing but their level content.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
Two words: Character Progression.

When an expansion comes out, we want to get the feeling of moving forward. Levels accomplish this in ways gear can't even compare to-that is why the level cap is raised.
Reply Quote
75 Human Mage
Something tells me since there is two more expansions apparently that they are going for the lv100 mark, I could be wrong though but it seems like they are, if the did the same thing between LK and Cata with the next two.

On why they are raising it, perhaps to reel in older players as well as new players when each expansion comes out.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior

Those old contents would become challenging and interesting once again.

It was never that interesting.

@**! YEAH!! MOLTEN CORE AND BWL!!! BLACK.. RED.. SOME ORANGE. TURN BOSSES AWAY.

Don't bring the whole chair...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Tl:dr

Reason for doing it is probally to give players more to do, The leveling process isn't really that fun, But i wouldn't wanna still be stuck at level 60 for all these years, It just wouldn't feel right in an MMO.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Couldn't really be bothered reading the whole thing because I came up with a few points in the first few sentences. first, yes you can do all the old raids, if you want to do them with difficulty reroll! can't be bothered make a deathknight... secondly, your lazy! you probably just don't want to grind through levels. A popular mmo needs new content otherwise people beat it all and become bored and people stop playing wow and thats not good for blizzard. You would really like to do classic raids over and over again? well I know I don't want to do MC 10 times in one night and get epics that are nothing compared to the greens and blues I can get from BC dungeons.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
http://i641.photobucket.com/albums/uu131/Dementiaprime/Roguegodhand.jpg

Made me laugh too hard.

I can hear the whispers, "Don't heal the rogue. Vanish failed."
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Thanks for the responses.

Two words: Character Progression.

When an expansion comes out, we want to get the feeling of moving forward. Levels accomplish this in ways gear can't even compare to-that is why the level cap is raised.

If in 4.1 the level cap raised to 90, and only 2 dungeons are introduced, would you like it?
I don't think leveling is that important. leveling up really make you feel that great?

They raise level cap to give people something to do other than gear insanely high. They must input new quests to explain new lore.

If you really want to do old content raids, which I admit can be very fun, try making a twink guild. There are quite a few on my server. They are 60, 70, and even a few 80, that dedicate themselves to nothing but their level content.

Blizzard can make some quests compulsory for a certain dungeon or raid.
Also, no matter what, soloing raid bosses as a player ruins the lore. That doesn't even make sense.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter

By raising the level cap, new players will never have the chance to do "old" raids.

What?

Last time I checked I can go down to AQ and still do it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
I think half of it is to, essentially, get people to buy expansions. A few MMOs did away with raising level caps with expansions, and instead simply added more content available for those who purchased the expansion. This way everyone, no matter what expansion they were up to, could still play with each other. This did however leave a small portion of the playerbase simply opting to continue to play the content they enjoyed, with everyone else, but not worrying about purchasing the new content.

On another positive note, things were easier to balance, as the numbers didn't get completely nuked every time a new expansion came out. We can see how long it's going to take until the numbers finally get tuned again for Cata.
Edited by Real on 4/17/2011 2:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
28 Orc Warlock
Personally I would not like the feeling of decay. I don't want to feel like I'm losing power over time, that doesn't make sense,

Missed chance for Blizzard to make Malygos' "sucking the magic out of Azeroth" meaningful imo.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
we wouldn't have gotten any of the spells we get at 81 83 and 85.

Hmm, they can introduce spells at any level they like. Hell, Smoke Bomb could have been introduced at level 75 :) They were simply introduced at those levels to give a sense of progression while leveling.

Not only that, but you'd see someone level 80 in fill cata gear in wotlk heroics pulling 10k, which would make them even more faceroll.

You'd assume they'd release the same number of heroics as they did with Cata. As for old heroics, people would still run them if they needed the gear, otherwise everyone would run the new heroics. It's akin to current Normals > Heroics > ZA/ZG Heroics. You run dungeons appropriate to your gear level. Come 4.1, there'll still be people in Normals (< 329 ilvl), still people in Heroics (<346 ilvl) and people in ZA/ZG (>346 ilvl).

Well, it's all been done before in other MMOs :P Though WoW is an MMO where expansion are going to be level based. Albeit they've had to slow down a little, as they don't want the level gap problem to become too serious.
Edited by Real on 4/17/2011 2:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Agreed.

I suggested, quite some time ago on the forums, that they instead just add some new talents/quest content/items/dailies at some point rather than always adding 5 or 10 new levels.

For example, there are so many long time features players like which could be packaged as an expansion. I seem to remember Everquest doing that at least on one expansion.

This last one was especially weird. It seemed like it took me 15 minutes to go from level 80- 85, on this character, while soloing and not even really trying. Then I was level 85, yay.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
What's the point?
To make players feel more powerful?
To make players do more quests?
Can't blizzard just introduce new skills,raids or maybe classes&races to WOW without raising the level cap?
Is it really necessary?

actually to keep you playing and paying. rest of post tldr

and i'm really getting sick of old rehashed revamped w/e content. give us some brand new stuff just not all at once like you did here in cata.
and leveling still sux with boa gear. ughh 1-85
Edited by Riotact on 4/17/2011 3:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
3 raids? nobody on my server ever does throne of four belts, its 2 raids.... we need more content
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]