Old Wow

85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I understand World of Warcraft is a game and a buisness but its a MMORPG, there are supposed to be elements to cater to ALL the RPG player demographics. Heroic Dungeons and raids are supposed to be there to cater to us who enjoy the punishment and sense of accomplishment we get when we complete it. Its supposed to be there for us masochists who actually found it fun grinding for weeks on end to get our Hydroxian Warlords rep to exaulted. Those of us who wiped 9 billion times on C'thun before his nerf just because we enjoyed the challenge. If you keep making content more and more and more accessible to the "Herp Derp Casual" demographic, your gonna be like Nintendo who said "Screw you loyal fans, your no longer my target audience....now who wants a free sparkle pony!"

God I hate Nintendo so much for doing this.
90 Goblin Mage
04/09/2011 12:27 PMPosted by Alisonprime
I swear if blizzard implemented a code which dis-allows the use of Bigwigs and Boss Mods, most guilds would fall apart because they would actually have to think

Boss mods were allowed. Hell, required for some fights. Neferian - if you're a hunter you'd BETTER know the class call was coming or else, whoops, no dps for you. Done. May as well afk rest of the fight.

Vanilla wow was incredibly easy, but incredibly time consuming. As a mage, I would just sit there and cast frostbolt for 10 minutes at a time. That was it. That was the extent of my role. Maybe decurse on Chrom or something. Yipee. Sure fights like Flamegor were a pain because of hardcore RNG with flame buffets not getting resisted by tank or taunt not working because there was no such thing as a hit cap back then (and of course taunt was affected by hit....lol).

Naxx was sort of challenging, but only because a second of lag wiped the raid. Everyone had an incredibly simple mechanic to perform, but failure to press 1 quickly enough causd a wipe for 40 people. That's what was "hard".

I quit after vanilla. Was in two raiding guilds throughout, went all the way through naxx and quit around 4hm (tbc was coming out soon and we got burnt). Now that I"m back for cata, I can honestly say the game is way way more fun. There's always something to do. I have three toons ready for raiding, some in multiple specs. Hell, to have three 60s back in vanilla was considered masochism in and of itself.
Edited by Terrorific on 4/9/2011 1:40 PM PDT
90 Human Warlock

I guess what I am saying, is the game is much easier and it is sad to see what I would put so much time into (doing calculations, finding groups, having pride in what I did) is no longer in the game. I wonder if Blizzard will ever put challenge back into the game...maybe make an expansion that is like the old days. (maybe just one 40 man raid with uber epic gear... or one class that has a real purpose in the game again).

Thanks for hearing me out,

Poppy

Let me know what I have left out that you remember and wish was back, even if it was not easy. Too many people want something for nothing and they should not necessarily get it just cause they wined. Doesn't make the game fun.

There's no pleasing some people. I for one think there was very little challenge to classic WoW, other than PvP - which has remained the same or similar in terms of balancing skill with gear. Has the game changed? No doubt it has, but rather than pining for what is gone, you should look to the future and inject positive feedback into the system. Perhaps they reintroduce an ammo system for hunters that doesn't require the amount of space it used to but allows for a variety of ammo types to exist. Rather than going back to an old system, move forward and adapt.

You're always free to quit playing too, if it's too "under" your talent level. I think someone like that is pretty worthless, though. Talk is cheap. You say you're hardcore, and that there's no pride in the game anymore. Sounds like the talk of a has-been who gave up on trying. There's pride and elitism in the game yet. Believe you me there is. Just depends on where you're looking. You seem to -want- people to fail that aren't on your level. That's not pride, that's arrogance.
86 Draenei Hunter
ty for your post but how many times do we have to see this post ...if the game is that bad go to rift or where ever just quit crying...move on.... get over it
90 Human Paladin
04/09/2011 01:51 PMPosted by Repriesent
Like how you guys made healing reasonable and less punishing with cataclysm?...oh wait, you ruined healing, and ruined the LFD tool with it...well done.

Healing seems fine to me in Cataclysm, don't really see how it was ruined.
5 Orc Hunter
Like how you guys made healing reasonable and less punishing with cataclysm?...oh wait, you ruined healing, and ruined the LFD tool with it...well done.

Healing seems fine to me in Cataclysm, don't really see how it was ruined.

Noticing the longer que times? Thats kinda a hint that a good majority of healers will be slotting as dps instead of heals. Kinda like how I ended up with my hunter being in a pug with 4 plate classes dk tank , pally healer, with warrior and pally dps . Sorta same issue with tanks.
Edited by Sendrunna on 4/9/2011 2:01 PM PDT
90 Human Mage
Not to beat the horse again. (Poor thing.)

I think Old WoW had it's charm in that it was easier than previous MMOs, but it didn't feel completely trivial to level and "be somebody." When the game knocks down a lot of the time constraint barriers, it cheapens both the journey and the destination.

To go back to the D&D reference. I had more fun when we were really playing our characters and killing kobolds than when we were high level and killing demons because we had essentially given up on continuity and all rocking staves of power, rings of wishes, and vorpal swords. What eventually happened was there was nothing left in the game. We had become demigods relatively overnight. (Over the course of maybe a summer or two.) Mundane tasks like clearing a low level dungeon or ridding a town of a vampire were beneath us. Our GM had to keep showering us with platinum because gold just wasn't good enough.

WoW was better during release and BC. The model was better. It was more of a grind, but we liked it (even if we #%#@@ed about it.) You (developers) made the same mistakes that our GM did back in the 1980s. He listened to us too much and ruined his campaigns by giving in.
90 Human Paladin
Noticing the longer que times? Thats kinda a hint that a good majority of healers will be slotting as dps instead of heals.

Can't see why, as I enjoy healing myself. Plus all the healers in my guild don't seem to be switching to dps. *shrug*
85 Dwarf Shaman
So, this is a troll thread right?
100 Gnome Warlock
04/08/2011 05:22 PMPosted by Zhulgreb
and by better you mean half of the game was broken and half the specs couldn't raid? Sounds fun
85 Human Death Knight
The blue talked about what made D&D exciting and then said he's glad that games are moving away from it. Sad. Just because most people are inane doesn't mean you should bring the game down to their level. Oh wait, they pay money. Nevermind I guess? I wish the blues would at least stop yanking our chains and just come out and say it's all about the money.

Blizzard is going down an unfortunate road, and I'd hate to see any of WoW's current design ideology taint Diablo 3. Maybe since there is no monthly fee for D3, they can actually make the game interesting.

Think about it. There is a reason people keep talking about vanilla. Almost all of the most legendary dungeons, raids, and bosses came from vanilla. All of the best fan-made machinimas came from vanilla. WoW's legendary status was forged in Vanilla. Almost all of the nostalgia regarding WoW comes from Vanilla, and to a lesser extent TBC. Now that WotLK is past tense, I can safely say that people are not talking about it the same way that they talked about Vanilla and TBC. Aside from the occasional "wrath baby", people are glad it is over. And you know what? Cata seems to be heading in the same direction.

Blizzard needs to get back to the place they were a few years ago and before. It's like how all of the car manufacturers decided to go retro with their sports car designs because they realized their current designs sucked and the original ones were way better. Yes, there are new things implemented in them: Far more efficient engines, more power, sleaker designs, etc. But the fact is, they decided to go back to a time when their products had soul, and it has been immensely popular because of it.

I keep playing because I'm hoping Blizzard will someday realize the error of their current ways.
85 Blood Elf Mage
I will now attempt to summarize what i have read in alot of these responses, this is not my opinion but merely my interupretation of the general mass and i think how blizzard interpreted it.

Wow in vanilla and The burning crusade required me to spend time playing the game.
This was too difficult for me as it cut into my beer pong time on the weekends, and often during weekdays. How can i be expected to spend more then 1 hour playing a video game even if its supposed to take a commitment like any good mmo.

I liked toc the best because it only took me 20 minutes to full clear leaving me plenty of time to become beer pong champion and now girls like me. I have the good gears in the game to thank you new wow now i am the best in game and outside it.

p.s.-Thank you for making leveling so quick now everyone can start playing and raiding right away. But i still don't understand why so many people don't know how to use there class's?
Bah who cares we can always nerf content if people don't understand how to play the game.
Edited by Zyprexxa on 4/9/2011 2:27 PM PDT
100 Gnome Warlock
You're always free to quit playing too, if it's too "under" your talent level. I think someone like that is pretty worthless, though. Talk is cheap. You say you're hardcore, and that there's no pride in the game anymore. Sounds like the talk of a has-been who gave up on trying. There's pride and elitism in the game yet. Believe you me there is. Just depends on where you're looking. You seem to -want- people to fail that aren't on your level. That's not pride, that's arrogance.

And then I had your babies.

Yeah, I failed to recognize that the OP posted on a level 70. Where's your 85 with all the hard mode achievements, Mr. "WoW is too easy now"?

Of course, my absolute favorite moment in WoW history was when 25 HM LK was reached, and was made virtually impossible to kill without the nerf. Hardcore elitist raiders crying for nerfs to Hard Mode content pretty much made my year.
Edited by Virina on 4/9/2011 2:24 PM PDT
85 Dwarf Shaman
Not to beat the horse again. (Poor thing.)

I think Old WoW had it's charm in that it was easier than previous MMOs, but it didn't feel completely trivial to level and "be somebody." When the game knocks down a lot of the time constraint barriers, it cheapens both the journey and the destination. You (developers) made the same mistakes that our GM did back in the 1980s. He listened to us too much and ruined his campaigns by giving in.

could not have said it better myself - Its not "CRYING / QQ" that we are stating here. Its feed back from those that miss "earning our loot" instead of finding how many weeks its going to take to get it. Were asking the dev's to deliver a grind cause that is what makes it memorable and to EARN it.

- in summation; please bring back 40man raids - implement some ele shaman mechanics that well level the playing field - EQ is horrible. Return to the grind that was once our cherished memory of wow.
90 Human Paladin
04/09/2011 02:25 PMPosted by Urmmom
Were asking the dev's to deliver a grind cause that is what makes it memorable and to EARN it.

I find an actual challenge makes stuff memorable, not simply because it took x hours. As someone else said earlier, the game shouldn't be about trying to feel accomplished simply for spending more time in front of the computer than most people.
85 Dwarf Shaman
04/09/2011 02:23 PMPosted by Virina

And then I had your babies.

Yeah, I failed to recognize that the OP posted on a level 70. Where's your 85 with all the hard mode achievements, Mr. "WoW is too easy now"?

Of course, my absolute favorite moment in WoW history was when 25 HM LK was reached, and was made virtually impossible to kill without the nerf. Hardcore elitist raiders crying for nerfs to Hard Mode content pretty much made my year.

another win for the vanilla squad.
85 Human Paladin
I am a ret pally, admittedly I don't like some things they have done, but in vanilla a ret pally wouldn't be taken anywhere so no, I don't want to go back to vanilla.
85 Blood Elf Mage
[quote]

Hardcore elitist raiders? Some sure but if you had done vanilla c'thun you would know for a fact that to even state hardmode litch king was the most difficult fight is a bad joke. You can say you did etc etc but from your statement its very clear you didn't.

It's also clear you never saw the skill sets i did in the burning crusade. The "hard" content in wrath and cata thus far doesn't hold a candle to how difficult sunwell was upon release.
Edited by Zyprexxa on 4/9/2011 2:35 PM PDT
90 Human Mage
04/09/2011 02:27 PMPosted by Kurnea
Were asking the dev's to deliver a grind cause that is what makes it memorable and to EARN it.

I find an actual challenge makes stuff memorable, not simply because it took x hours. As someone else said earlier, the game shouldn't be about trying to feel accomplished simply for spending more time in front of the computer than most people.

But ironically, that's what RPGs are about. The time spent playing your character is supposed to be a big part of the fun. You're not supposed to level up super fast or have everything handed to you on a silver platter. (There are some quests which should be reserved for playing as a team. Not just a token ring of blood-esque per expansion.) You're supposed to have to devote a rather large amount of time investment into a character to be something worthy of killing a dragon, demigod, etc. You're not supposed to go from zero to hero because you put on an invulnerability suit. That makes the game lame and leaves people feeling jaded.

There's too many things in WoW that have been sacrificed to convenience. The ADHD generation has spoken, and we're going to be getting more ponies I guess...
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]