Old Wow

85 Troll Priest
actually i have less reason to log on and play lately than i did in 2005. rep grind? trivial and all done. gear? nope, got it. pvp? hate it thanks to arena and AV nerf to "rush the boss". raids? well, i'd love to, and i do on occasion, but i'm not about selling my soul/social security number to a "hardcore raid guild" and never believed raids should be only seen by 1% of the population to begin with. though i do think the completion of said raids should be, as it's the pinnacle of the game.

back in classic i had reps to grind, tradeskills to grind(and anything that wasn't leatherworking or tailoring was a nightmare), dungeons that seemingly never dropped "my class's" gear to grind, class quests to complete, relationships to form... almost none of that exists anymore. :(

im inclined to agree with you abit here, i've always felt there needs to be more to do endgame than just a playlist of bosses updated every 4-8 months, or just pvp, and this should involved everything related to the above two, which includes rep and gear grinds, because that has proved to be boring and time consuming, which is why the time allocated to these goals was cut.

i have always felt that here is this huge virtual world, and 90% of it is utilized only for questing. to me thats a huge waste of potential
and the first time around, questing is pretty fun, but after that, most of the fun comes from leveling a new class.

i believe there should be huge daily events, large scripted events maybe, im not sure, but something epic. think of stuff like the battle for gnomer, although a lag fest, on a more frequent and slightly smaller scale, you could make alot of events like this that would emerge us back into the game.

as well as just things to do on your own, perhaps something that makes use of phasing. wow has abit of this here and there, and i think its in the right direction
but nothing on the scale of how big and awesome it could actually be. this is World of Warcraft, not Raid of Warcraft, not Arena of Warcraft, where did the World go?
there is all this unused space that has been reserved for quest and farming.

everyone reaches a point where they only log in because they need to do something, at the core this game is still fun. but that feeling where you want to log on because there is something insanely fun to do that doesn't involve a raid or pvp, is a rare and lost feeling.

i know im not getting across exactly what im trying to portray here, but generally i just think the rest of the world in warcraft could be alot more fun, alot more alive.
does it need to break outof its shell? maybe alot of complaints and dissatisfaction comes from people expecting blizz to break outof this shell to free us from the same thing we've been essentially doing for 10 years, wich is level up, gear up, and kill the bad guy of the year
85 Worgen Death Knight
if you dont like wow how it is now then go play something else like rift and quit with the QQ
90 Draenei Shaman
And this is why console games, especially Modern Warfare beats WoW in so many ways.
41 Night Elf Druid
I agree that Old wow was worse because this char used to be lvl 1 and I had no iea what to do and now i`m 40 in one day because I just started this player again.
24 Troll Hunter
Remember when wow felt like a job and not a game? Yea, lets go back to that.

Lets reward people that play 16 hours a day but pays the same 15 dollars a month. I am sure that will make this game great again.

Can't wait to do 40 man raids on my shaman again, where I was there to basically cure poisons and drop manatide, and get one piece of gear a month.

I can't wait to play 5 hours a day every day and do only pvp just so I can get to a rank that gave me an epic mount.

Man, those were the days. Remember when blizzard said they felt like it was a waste putting so much effort into content only 1% of players could enjoy, how foolish a statement was that? Clearly, this game needs to cater to the minority to become truly great. And Cata is the first step of returning the game to it's former glory.
85 Draenei Warrior
I remember many good and bad things about Vanilla wow:

-grinding essence of water in a very crowded area in Felwood on my first 60 (a bald human mage whose hair I had to deal with). I also remember spending day upon day farming owlbeasts for ironfeathers and sellable grey items to help fund my epic ground mount purchase.

-waiting in BG queues for a very long time only to get absolutely roflstomped by Horde on my first server (Scarlet Crusade) and waiting at the end of the week to see what new rank I had reached.

-Extremely epic, day long Alterac Valley matches

-Getting Unstoppable force pig head on a stick with my troll enhance shaman so I could lolwindfury one shot noobs in ratchet who thought I was AFK.

-raiding UBRS, having to acquire tanks target to sheep and make sure I didn't hit tab or click any other mob until he was done assigning every other party member a CC target or task for the upcoming pull

-whole raid wiping on second snake boss in ZG except one dwarf paladin named Eolph who bubbled and finished him off

oh the list goes on. I definitely feel nostalgia for Vanilla, just like BC and to a lesser extent WotLK. However, there were frustrating moments all along the way. I only have two contentions with Cata:

-the over simplification of talent trees / lack of creative speccing (almost every talent tree was gutted, and many abilities just straight up lost like eyes of the beast, sentry totem, things that wouldn't seem to be useful but that helped to make classes unique)

-lack of things to do beyond archaeology in the radically changed world of azeroth. I realize that I could go explore these zones (and, I have leveled two characters from 1-85 since cata came out and loved the new zones <3 Blasted Lands is very neat), but on my 85 all I seem to do is go to TB and Uldum.

it's just not the same is all. people are just sitting around in SW and Org, occasionaly going to the AH or flying up to the portals. I don't see people out and about anywhere.

/end nostalgic nonsense post

85 Dwarf Shaman
04/09/2011 08:10 PMPosted by Minimalistix
Simple fact: 40mans made you feel like you and your guild were the %%%@.. take it down to 10 and 25s you have an idiot you see every raid standing in the fire so you don't feel so hot even if your the best of the best.

C ordination - Class leaders - even guild web sites with "Guild Strat's "
25 mans don't feel epic - gear has lost its luster, anyone in a 10 man can get the same gear. This needs to change.

well put sir
85 Blood Elf Paladin
no one ever said you had to continue playing at max level. Stop all these qq threads please!!
85 Dwarf Shaman
Remember when wow felt like a job and not a game? Yea, lets go back to that.

Lets reward people that play 16 hours a day but pays the same 15 dollars a month. I am sure that will make this game great again.

Can't wait to do 40 man raids on my shaman again, where I was there to basically cure poisons and drop manatide, and get one piece of gear a month.

I can't wait to play 5 hours a day every day and do only pvp just so I can get to a rank that gave me an epic mount.

Man, those were the days. Remember when blizzard said they felt like it was a waste putting so much effort into content only 1% of players could enjoy, how foolish a statement was that? Clearly, this game needs to cater to the minority to become truly great. And Cata is the first step of returning the game to it's former glory.

- 40 man raids. Yes they took time to acquire the gear - hense the reward. Not oh hey guys next week i get enough points for purples.

-the 1% you refer to were defined by it. They spent the time and energy to grind out that 40 man = gear.

-Shaman still have no representation in pve - mages have BL, our dps is horrible, and our mana tide is still our ONLY purpose. I avoid the pvp aspect, whole other beast.

-And finally, Yes lets reward those people that spend TIME and EFFORT to "EARN" their gear.
90 Human Paladin
- 40 man raids. Yes they took time to acquire the gear - hense the reward. Not oh hey guys next week i get enough points for purples.

-the 1% you refer to were defined by it. They spent the time and energy to grind out that 40 man = gear.

The 1% were defined as being jobless basement dwellers that were rewarded for having inordinate amounts of free time. They 'earned' their gear more by having nothing better to do. Personally, I think it's better to focus on challenge, not simply being tedious and drawn-out.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I remember vanilla wow, and personally I don't miss it.

People who say vanilla was hard are wrong. It was a giant pain. Rep grinds, gear grinds, all so that you could see content? And unless you had the time and patience to deal with setting up a 40 man raid group, you probably didn't get to do a whole lot. And if you were. Paladin at the time, or a shaman or druid, or even priest, you were cornered into one role and that was it. All you paladins now, be thankful your blessings last an hour instead of the five minutes they used to.

And apart from the content, just leveling was a pain. I wonder how many people now would be able to stand having to run all over the continent without a mount until level 40.

Although, the world pvp is something I do kinda miss. Tarren Mill vs South Shore anyone?

Don't get me wrong, when I played vanilla, I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't ask for any aspect of it back.
85 Worgen Rogue
Wrath was far too easy, I didn't mind BC content, Cata content is harder than wrath, but there's just something about it I don't like. I did have more fun pre BC, I think mostly because everything was so new. The 40 man raids were a bit too hard to put together, and would be even worse now since everyone is used to smaller raids.

I found BC had more balance, not too hard and annoying, rep grinds were not that bad but you had to put some effort into it. You could get epics if you put a bit of effort into it, but they didn't drop off anything that moved.

I found alot of my friends had the same opinion so we started a lvl 70 group and we're capping xp and running BC stuff until we get bored of it, not a twink guild, just a BC guild.
80 Human Death Knight
ok, sorry to bring this up.

I used to play wow in 2005-2006 and it was capped at lvl 60. Back in the day was so much better than now. I feel current wow is now too easy, and a lot of the complexities erased for the ease of the less intelligent.

Ex:
No more 40 man raids (yes they were hard to coordinate, but that was what made it challenging and fun and rewarding)

No more Class specialization... remember when you needed a dwarf priest just for Fear ward. Now any 5 paladins can do a group run and complete the instance.

No more ammo....this seems to be for those who couldn't remember to bring arrows or bullets...making it easy...

Rep easier to get... remember when you would grind something for months and finally get the item...you were one in 5 on the server with the item. Now anyone if they spend two hours can get what everyone else has. I am hardcore...I want something I spend a lot of time at and no one else has.

I guess what I am saying, is the game is much easier and it is sad to see what I would put so much time into (doing calculations, finding groups, having pride in what I did) is no longer in the game. I wonder if Blizzard will ever put challenge back into the game...maybe make an expansion that is like the old days. (maybe just one 40 man raid with uber epic gear... or one class that has a real purpose in the game again).

Thanks for hearing me out,

Poppy

Let me know what I have left out that you remember and wish was back, even if it was not easy. Too many people want something for nothing and they should not necessarily get it just cause they wined. Doesn't make the game fun.

Painfuly unnecesary and fun are not the same. There is no fun in people not beign able to raid because they cant get 39 other people to coordinate schedules, neccesitys and play style.

Wrath was the pinnacle of wow, too bad blizzard listened to a couple elistists and destroyed what it was the best MMO around.

Everyone could see the content, those that wanted challenges had the HARD MODES/HEROICS (and dont come with it was easy, less than 2% of raiders killles HEROIC LK after 8 months beign there and with a 30% buff), you always had something to do, mainly because of raids lockouts being different (although it is better now that both raids share the same loot, that would have been a good improvement to Wrath without the rest of Cata).

Vanilla wasn't better, problem is that people always tend to think past times were better.
85 Dwarf Shaman
As I read the plentiful amount of replies, if feels like 40 - 60 ratio. 40 wish current content was more meaningful and 60 miss certain aspects but not all of vanilla wow.

I would like to see 2 things - scale the gear so it feels epic - just having a HEROIC title means little when it looks the same - add an option for 40 man raids.

reach out to those who have the time / NO LIFE as many put and offer a gold like title / reward - aka aq mount?

keep 25 mans for those wit less time

10's for those who want 10 mans -

overall, if we could cater to these "HEROIC" battles we once had, more then confident you could offer more variety to hardcore gamers.
81 Blood Elf Death Knight
Everything in the original post was what sucked about original WoW.
85 Dwarf Shaman
04/10/2011 09:40 AMPosted by Semerov
although it is better now that both raids share the same loot, that would have been a good improvement to Wrath without the rest of Cata).

this is the epic fail that crushes the epic feel - There is no reason to do 25 mans if the same loot is offered in 10's.

People did 40's without to much issue. Those that missed out simply needed either more time to dedicate to a game. If they couldn't make it then QQ go play d2 or something else. Don't hinder those that enjoy 39 other people recking pixels.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]