Old Wow

85 Blood Elf Priest
ok, sorry to bring this up.

No more ammo....this seems to be for those who couldn't remember to bring arrows or bullets...making it easy...

If this hasn't been said, in regards to there being no more ammo, what other class, besides hunter, did one have to buy consumbles to play the class as intended?

Yes, Wars and Rouges could use guns/bows/x-bows, but the range slot seemed to be more of a stat builder instead of the core mechanic of the class.
24 Troll Hunter
Remember when wow felt like a job and not a game? Yea, lets go back to that.

Lets reward people that play 16 hours a day but pays the same 15 dollars a month. I am sure that will make this game great again.

Can't wait to do 40 man raids on my shaman again, where I was there to basically cure poisons and drop manatide, and get one piece of gear a month.

I can't wait to play 5 hours a day every day and do only pvp just so I can get to a rank that gave me an epic mount.

Man, those were the days. Remember when blizzard said they felt like it was a waste putting so much effort into content only 1% of players could enjoy, how foolish a statement was that? Clearly, this game needs to cater to the minority to become truly great. And Cata is the first step of returning the game to it's former glory.

- 40 man raids. Yes they took time to acquire the gear - hense the reward. Not oh hey guys next week i get enough points for purples.

-the 1% you refer to were defined by it. They spent the time and energy to grind out that 40 man = gear.

-Shaman still have no representation in pve - mages have BL, our dps is horrible, and our mana tide is still our ONLY purpose. I avoid the pvp aspect, whole other beast.

-And finally, Yes lets reward those people that spend TIME and EFFORT to "EARN" their gear.

- When I walked into naxx without even full MC gear, when we had been farming it since it came out, that is a problem with loot. In fact it wasn't even until NAXX came out that they even itemized items for the actual roles classes had to do for raiding.

- 1% of the population took up 90% of the development time. If you thin that was was a smart investment of resources for a business because the 1% defined 40 man raiding then I hope to god you are never put into a situation where your decision matters.

- Shamans might not be that great right now, but compared to were we were, it is leaps and bounds better. It can't even be compared. At least we have a choice to do crappy DPS because it still beats some specs. Manatide has always been a crutch for resto shamans, but make no mistake they are viable on there own so don't use that as an excuse.

- You bold words like TIME, EFFORT, and EARN, words I would use for describing a job or a sport. You do realize we are talking about a fantasy game, where words like Fun, Challenging, Innovative should come to mind.

- Last point, you don't actually own anything on your account, I hope you realize that. Gear is not a tangible item, and anything related to the game belongs to blizzard, not you. Putting in time and effort to earn gear seems like a terrible use of time if you don't actually own any of the gear you put time and effort into "earning". If people stopped to actually enjoy the game instead of pretending they have ownership of anything they get in game maybe we could actually, oh I don't know, have fun?
So it's constructive to QQ about things in the game that are in the past? There are hundreds if not thousand posts just like this one.

Everything like it or not changes over time, just like real life nothing stays exactly the same.

Makes me wonder what your thoughts will be when we get to go after Deathwing himself.
Edited by Deagra on 4/10/2011 10:22 AM PDT
If you really want "old WoW" back, add something to that list: Relics with specific effects. Back in WotLK, my shaman had this totem from BC that gave extra mana on water shield, a different totem that increased spell power on only shock spells, and yet another that would give some extra power to healing spells. Now i'm not complaining about relics w/o effects any more, but they were nice, and if you're gonna complain about how WoW has grown and evolved, you need to make sure your list has relics with effects.
80 Human Death Knight
04/10/2011 10:07 AMPosted by Urmmom
although it is better now that both raids share the same loot, that would have been a good improvement to Wrath without the rest of Cata).

this is the epic fail that crushes the epic feel - There is no reason to do 25 mans if the same loot is offered in 10's.

People did 40's without to much issue. Those that missed out simply needed either more time to dedicate to a game. If they couldn't make it then QQ go play d2 or something else. Don't hinder those that enjoy 39 other people recking pixels.

If there is no reason to mke 25s when 10s give the same loot, then why are a lot of people still doing 25s?

The epic fail is your statement, which is disregarded just by reality.

Its just as hard to down a boss with 10 people than with 25 (actually, most bosses are harder in 10) why would 25 give different loot? That's an epic fail.

VERY FEW PEOPLE did 40s without too much issue, which was the problem, most people couldn't actually even enter the dungeon because they couldn't gather the 40.

40 man raids are part of the past, like punched cards computers. They were inneficient, requiered more resources and had a lot more problems.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I understand and respect gaming masochism. But, I think that changing mechanics to be more reasonable and less punishing is an improvement, not a detriment, to games in general. Many of us Original Gamers pine for the days of D&D-based yore when games were seemingly intended to break us down into sobbing masses created by an uncaring necromancer of pain and suffering, or at least didn't try to avoid it. Overcoming all of the obstacles (I CHOOSE NOT TO SHOOT HER WITH THE SILVER ARROW... NOOOOO) was a big part of what gaming (I HAVE 1 LIFE!?), and especially PC gaming (HOW DO I LOAD MOUSE DRIVERS?), were about. But, I feel we're lucky to now be in an age where those ideals (intended or not) are giving way to actual fun, actual challenge, and not fabricating it through high-reach requirements (I NEED A FAIRY MONK WITH A MAGIC LOCKPICK?).

What we've always been trying to do, what WoW has always been about (and to which much of its success is due) is to make an accessible MMO. Anyone that looks back at the game at launch and wishes it was as challenging now as it was then is not aware of the painstaking effort put into making this game accessible as compared to its predecessors. Since release we've refined that intent, eventually evolving the very few masochistic designs WoW actually ever started with, but ideally still offering those same prestige goals that give that feeling of achieving something great if you're able to pull it off. We've made a lot of progress toward striking that balance and continuing to evolve the game, but it's not something we're ever likely to perfect, and we'll be constantly working to hit that elusive goal. Hopefully it's to the benefit of everyone playing and enjoying the game, and they'll continue to enjoy the journey that a living, breathing, persistent universe will take us on.

10mans are currently overtuned big time >.<

But even so, the game is much better now than it was in vanilla. Vanilla was tedious, not fun. Sadly the game has tilted more towards tedious in cata (mainly because of the bane of my existence, archaeology) but it's still far better than vanilla.

I somewhat miss the days of wrath because of how accessible raiding was, and how I could choose to do both 10man and 25man in the same week. It gave me more to do. But at the same time I like this new model. Just wish it wasn't put into old raids too, that was kinda lame imo.

Also with wrath it was possible to carry less skilled friends which made the game fun for them because they could see everything. I've long gotten over my elitism and need for everything to be nearly impossible for people who don't have competence like me, they should get a shot at all those mounts too. Just nerf the content a few months after its out, the "elitist core" will have everything on farm by then anyways and it shouldn't harm their progression.
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'd like for the game to be more challenging, but I do like a lot of the changes that Blizz had made recently in the past expansions.
85 Gnome Warrior
There are two sides to the accessibiility coin. Naturally Blizz wants to make the game accessible to anything that can wield a mouse and keyboard. That means more $$$ in their pockets. At the same time they have to avoid making the game Sesame Street Online so their older more experienced userbase doesn't get bored. You will never convince Blizz that keeping features which exclude more "gamers" because of required skill/effort/etc is a good idea.

That said, the detriment to making the game TOO accessible and streamlined is that you remove the need for players to put effort into things. In classic WOW, you had to actually talk to each other once in awhile (read: every fight) to keep things organized. You stuck with your guild and your circle of friends because any random Joe could not jump into a dungeon and instantly know how to mesh with your style of raiding. Heck, you couldn't even mark mobs with giant primary-colored symbols so you actually had to coordinate who is attacking what based on names, etc.

Now you have the all-PUG group being the standard of play and the encounters dumbed so far down that anyone a group can hop in and run a full instance without ever speaking a word to each other. Is this an improvement? I don't think so. WOW now feels more like a single-player game where your allies are driven by really good (or really bad, depending) AI, rather than a community experience which is kind of the point of any Massively Multiplayer game.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
ok, sorry to bring this up (not really, but I somehow think that it will make people listen to me).

I used to play wow in 2005-2006 and it was capped at lvl 60. Back in the day was so much worse than now. I feel current wow has just the right difficulty, and a lot of the annoyances erased for the ease of the the people who enjoy playing for fun and a challenge.

Ex:
No more 40 man raids (they were hard to coordinate, and although that was made it challenging to get a group, it wasn't fun or rewarding to know half the raid was AFK and you would rarely get gear.)

No more Class specialization... remember when you needed a dwarf priest just for Fear ward and had to cancel raid because he didn't show up? Now any 5 classes can do a group run and complete the instance, you aren't required to have a specific race/class combo to have hopes of surviving.

No more ammo....this seems to be for those who realized it was stupid to have to upgrade your weapon and your ammo and hearth back to get more if it was a long night of wipes...making it annoying...

Rep easier to get... remember when you would grind something for months and finally get the item, only to realize it wasn't that great... you were one in 5 on the server with the item and no one cared. And most of that rep grind consisted of killing the same mob over and over to collect something to turn in for minimal rep gain. Now anyone can gain rep through questing, dailies, running dungeons, etc. and the stuff you get for the rep is actually worthwhile. I am elitist and think I am a special snowflake...I want something I spend a lot of time at and no one else has.

I guess what I am saying, is the game is much better and it is awesome to see that I don't have to put so much time into (doing calculations, finding groups), is no longer in the game. I wonder if Blizzard would ever be stupid enough to put massive headaches back into the game...maybe make an expansion that is like the old days. (maybe just one 40 man raid with uber epic gear that the smallest percentile of players will actually be able to see... or one class that has a real purpose in the game again so when they don't show up, 39 other people can be screwed).

Thanks for hearing me out,

Poppy

Let me know what I have left out that you remember and am glad you no longer have to do, even if it was not easy. Too many people want to have to do massively annoying things just so others won't want to play and they should not necessarily get it just cause they wined. Doesn't make the game fun.

Fixed it for ya.
90 Tauren Druid
OP, lose the Rose tinted glasses. the game was better in TBC than vanilla. went strongly downhill into wrath, and has now climbed back up just below where it was in TBC.
Edited by Øtaku on 4/10/2011 11:26 AM PDT
90 Tauren Druid
ok, sorry to bring this up (not really, but I somehow think that it will make people listen to me).

I used to play wow in 2005-2006 and it was capped at lvl 60. Back in the day was so much worse than now. I feel current wow has just the right difficulty, and a lot of the annoyances erased for the ease of the the people who enjoy playing for fun and a challenge.

Ex:
No more 40 man raids (they were hard to coordinate, and although that was made it challenging to get a group, it wasn't fun or rewarding to know half the raid was AFK and you would rarely get gear.)

No more Class specialization... remember when you needed a dwarf priest just for Fear ward and had to cancel raid because he didn't show up? Now any 5 classes can do a group run and complete the instance, you aren't required to have a specific race/class combo to have hopes of surviving.

No more ammo....this seems to be for those who realized it was stupid to have to upgrade your weapon and your ammo and hearth back to get more if it was a long night of wipes...making it annoying...

Rep easier to get... remember when you would grind something for months and finally get the item, only to realize it wasn't that great... you were one in 5 on the server with the item and no one cared. And most of that rep grind consisted of killing the same mob over and over to collect something to turn in for minimal rep gain. Now anyone can gain rep through questing, dailies, running dungeons, etc. and the stuff you get for the rep is actually worthwhile. I am elitist and think I am a special snowflake...I want something I spend a lot of time at and no one else has.

I guess what I am saying, is the game is much better and it is awesome to see that I don't have to put so much time into (doing calculations, finding groups), is no longer in the game. I wonder if Blizzard would ever be stupid enough to put massive headaches back into the game...maybe make an expansion that is like the old days. (maybe just one 40 man raid with uber epic gear that the smallest percentile of players will actually be able to see... or one class that has a real purpose in the game again so when they don't show up, 39 other people can be screwed).

Thanks for hearing me out,

Poppy

Let me know what I have left out that you remember and am glad you no longer have to do, even if it was not easy. Too many people want to have to do massively annoying things just so others won't want to play and they should not necessarily get it just cause they wined. Doesn't make the game fun.

Fixed it for ya.

Best response Yet.
Edited by Øtaku on 4/10/2011 11:30 AM PDT
85 Goblin Hunter
I like the fact i don't have to dedicate 80 hours a week anymore to actually play this game :) Oh the days
Edited by Dantte on 4/10/2011 11:50 AM PDT
87 Tauren Paladin
Does anybody remember the special bug mounts that like 2 people were able to get per server on new years eve (circa 2005?). I was so jealous..
90 Tauren Druid
are you talking about the quarji resonating crystal, to make the battletank?

everyone who rang the gong got the bug mount. the rare part was the TITLE, "Scarab Lord" whitch only the first person to ring the gong got.

might be remembering wrong?
85 Worgen Warrior
The only thing I miss about Vanilla is the community, to be honest. And the awesome amounts of World PvP, even on PvE servers. Horde/Ally seemed less hostile to each other than nowadays.

Then again, I was in a family guild and we never even downed MC by the BC, so I can't speak about the raiding on my part.
90 Draenei Paladin
The only thing i miss about classic is my old server Thrall, before all of the free and paid transfers. I miss the people, not the content. the game is much better and polished then classic.
Edited by Lleonn on 4/10/2011 1:01 PM PDT
90 Undead Rogue
A few realms that are listed as vanilla would be cool. Lol only on those realms will players get to enjoy the old days, and they are never affected by patches :3
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]