Blood elf RP Names

92 Blood Elf Warlock
Hello, I recently came up with an idea of a dark blood elf templar (male paladin) and I need a name for him. I have checked everywhere. I want your own personal opinions and names, not links to a random name generator. Any names you can come up with would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Warlock
22 hours and no one posted? Wow. I feel hurt. Is that what you guys are trying to do? Hurt me? Cause I am hurt. Really.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Mage
I'd advocate using your own imagination to come up with a name...

... in fact, I'm going to do something similar.

Look up Roman sounding names, and then modify them a bit.

For example: Iralius = Aurelius.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm trying but OCD hasn't been kind to me. Neither has this ****ed medication.

I have an idea for a name but so did 200 other people apparently.
Reply Quote
89 Blood Elf Paladin
I really tend to like more old-english names, a few that I've staked my claim to include
Antioch, Alastair, and old Mord here. I'm also working on a Death Knight Belf by the name of Devereaux, also taking from the old-fashioned European list. If it's not available just make use of a slight accent on a vowel, you don't even need to pronounce it. (å,î,ø,é) etc.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Hunter
...a few that I've staked my claim to includeAntioch, Alastair, and old Mord here. I'm also working on a Death Knight Belf by the name of Devereaux, also taking from the old-fashioned European list. If it's not available just make use of a slight accent on a vowel, you don't even need to pronounce it. (å,î,ø,é) etc.

While some old-fashioned European names do, in my opinion, suit some old-fashioned blood elves, basically most blood elven names tend to roll off the tongue very easily, and their consenants (I think that's spelled right) are emphasized rather than the vowels. How should I put it...the vowels in other blood elven names are more of "connectors" between the consenants. For example, my blood elf paladin is named Varania Il'andare (vuh-RA-ni-uh ill-ahn-DA-ray). Notice the pronunciations are not on the first syllable. (Some elven and non-elven names stress the first syllable, like Joronus and Landria.)

Basically, female blood elven names tend to have more repeating vowels next to each other in syllables, as like the given example of Varania. However, there are some blood elven names that do not have that, such as Lindria (but notice there are only three vowels). But this goes for male names as well, as typical elven names lack the numerous hard consenants in non-elven names (such as Roktrudigon. /shrug). Just imagine a flowing river as a foundation for a name - and I know it sounds crazy. I mean, take your name, for instance. gil-AR-rus. It has the emphasis on the second syllable, which can indicate that your character may be somewhat vain (that's just my typical, non-judgmental, psychological view of syllable emphasis ^^;), while names like Joronus tend to hint to a hard-headed, staunch kind of person. The whole basis of your character can be described in the name, so choose wisely.

Rather than just give up on one name you like, try to respell it or rearrange it, and still give the same exact description as the original name. For instance, I thought of the name Sefin, but there were many others who had the name; thus, I doubled the 'n' and added an 'e' at the end, giving it more of a French tone, and it turns out that no other person has it. It's kind of basing off of Mord's idea of slightly accenting it, but if you don't want to look desperate for your name by putting in a slight accent, try and add a certain flavor to it, and give it more meaning. I'll use Mord's name as an example.

Mordecay (original)
Mordekai (k & i)
Mortecai (t & i)
Teicaus (i -mor + us)
Morterius (-cay + ius)

Or the name Land (a name that many people can have.)
Land (original)
Landria (+ria)
Landaras (+aras)
Lindari (rearranged for same meaning)
Lindaria (+a)

Either you can do this, or change the letters but keep the pronunciation right. For example:
Flare (original)
Flair
Flayre
Flaer
(And add some endings)
Flairica
Flayrein
Flaerus

For the next one, you can follow in Mord's steps and find a very uncommon name with your taste, or take your original name and rearrange it for the same meaning as well as adding some foreign flavour to it.
Alan (original)
Alarius (blood elf flavour)
Alastair (old-fashioned English flavour)
Araonia (creative female flavour)
Alasseloran (long-creative, blood elf flavour)
Alacai (combination of Alan and Mortecai)
You get the idea.

Did this help some?
Edited by Jinshu on 4/10/2011 8:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Warlock
Very much, if not more than what I asked for! Thanks very much. You deserve a virtual cookie. (:.:)

If you look at it, elven names are just as complex and varied as human names. You have Ravandwyr, a high elf npc in Netherstorm, sounding nothing like Halduron, which sounds nothing like Anasterian.

I have a few names I commonly use:

Myralion for my warrior,

Kianin for my rogue,

Thaelis for a possible future priest,

Oriavis (maybe) for my paladin (or Tyrael)

And I also play goblins in addition to blood elves, but goblin names are easy.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Dro
I personally nominate my own name because I like the sound of it and it gives you this image of a hero you know...
Reply Quote
71 Blood Elf Paladin
04/10/2011 06:10 PMPosted by Iralius
Look up Roman sounding names, and then modify them a bit.

the vowels in other blood elven names are more of "connectors" between the consenants. For example, my blood elf paladin is named Varania Il'andare (vuh-RA-ni-uh ill-ahn-DA-ray). Notice the pronunciations are not on the first syllable. (Some elven and non-elven names stress the first syllable, like Joronus and Landria.)

Essentially these are the guidelines I followed. Take something Roman, modify it slightly, then stress the consonants instead of the vowels. I chose the Roman venue because the Blood Elves always reminded me of Romans.

This particular name also integrates a Classical reference. Agrippina was the wife of Emporer Claudius and the mother of the infamous Nero. If you're into that sort of thing.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Warlock
Roman? Not sure, blood elves seem somewhat Byzantine, Persian, mixed with French aristocracy.

Some common themes I found in elven names:

-Use of Ae
-Use of Th
-Lots of L
-Never ends with a hard letter, ending with S, N, or TH is common
-Never under 4 letters, never over 12. Common is six to nine letters.
-Can sound elegant and yet have a slightly shadowy/evil (i.e. Sapheron)
-Can commonly end -rodis, -redis, or -nicus, among others

Just some common themes I've spotted.
Edited by Gilaras on 4/12/2011 3:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Byzantine, like in cat litter? O.o But yea, I just take a bunch of blood elf names blizz already has and snip them up and stick them together until I have something I like.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Warlock
I'm sorry, I do not know what's wrong but I can never seem content with a name for my character, I'm not even happy with the name Gilaras for my warlock. I never like anything I call my characters-and this has taken a lot of time out of me. For a warlock I always wanted something dark and sinister sounding, yet elven and lithe, but nothing seems to fit the bill just right.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Hunter
-noms on the virtual cookie- Mmm, tasty...thanks!

Also, to answer your question, maybe Sathirus? Kandriel? Darilien? To me, those names seem to fit the bill of your sinister-elegant name. (Well, Sathirus sounds like Sapheron, and Kandriel looks a bit too girlish...do you want him to look more masculine, buff-lithe? Or dainty-sinister-lithe? Because maybe Kandarius can fit for the buff-dark elf, and Kandriel can be the dainty-sounding one.)

For names that you desire to have a combination of both, you would need to do a bit more of combining names. For example, if you like what the names of Catherine and Lyn mean, you could combine them into something like Celvytherane or something like that. (Pronounced sell-VYTH-er-ann)

The '-th-' of a blood elven does in fact add a bit more dark flavour to the character, as with Sathirus stated above. But, I'm not going to go into another rant right now, so I hope you're satisfied with just this.

>^^>(::) Here's your thank-you virtual cewkie.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
When in doubt, I play around with elf or elf language generators found around the interwebz. While some of the suggestions aren't very blood elf-y, they at least give me something to build off of.
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Warlock
Well I got what I wanted (at least for now!)

I also, while searching, came up with a really good name for a gnome death knight.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Prefixes are usually made up of vowels that connect to the suffix, which are usually made up of consonents. Most of the time Prefixes start with either an A or a softer consonent (such as M, N, S, or L).

-Suffixes:

-wen(Usually F)
-wyn(Androgenous)
-rian(Usually M)
-ryn(Usually F)
-nel(Androgenous)
-thir(Usually M)
-rion(Usually M)
-thyr(Androgenous)
-ith(Usually F but relatively androgenous).

With these you can make any combination of names. Maiwen, Maiwyn, Mairian, Niewen, Niethyr, Ararion, Arathir, Aranel, Araryn, Arawen, Lirwin, Nyrith, Nyryn, etc.
Edited by Avienha on 4/13/2011 8:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
I just came up with this off the top of my head, and it isn't as detailed as the other's posts, but I really like the color and sound of "Obsidian," and just realized it might be a good RP name, especially for a blood elf.

.... Which probably means I'm going to go off and name a pet this later. :|
Reply Quote
92 Blood Elf Warlock
Yes thank you.

I almost got everything I need. (Fortunately I only play elves and goblins, but goblin names are easy).

Got a blood elf paladin name, a goblin hunter name, a blood elf warlock name, a goblin priest name. That's four out of five classes I play.

I'm just looking for a name for my pyromaniac blood elf fire mage (male), and I'll quit pestering you guiz. Heh.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Do not know if this will help but i based my name off of Scheherazade from 1001 Arabian Nights.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]