Secretly disabled WoW player (until now)

91 Blood Elf Paladin
I /salute you on your courage to post to the forums. Your post and people's kind and supportive responses to it warmed my heart. I too, am differently-abled so to speak, as I struggle with dyspraxia. Yes, the jokes I have heard over the years about how "she can't tell her left from her right" are true. I can get confused very quickly, especially in new places I have never been to before. For 5 years I played on EU servers before I rerolled here. I was very lucky to have dear friends there who when content was considered old, would take me back to these places so I could see them. Once I've seen a place a few times, I make the needed adaptations, and then it isn't a scary place anymore.

Finding patient people who don't mind taking time out like that seems harder to find these days. I do know there are many that are like this, but it is hard to figure out where they are with so many servers. I've been content as I always have been with helping people with hard quests or a boost here and there, but the way the game is now, it is hard to even find people who need help in that way. So, looking for Mr. Time-Lost and grinding rep factions keep me away from the harshness that would have me in tears years ago, trying to keep up with content in pugs and the like.

I play with the arrow keys (like WASD) for movement, and yes, I'm a clicker. So left fingers are on the arrow keys right next to the number pad and my right hand is on the mouse. Autorun helps me so I can type in game, but during a fight I can't type too well. Push to talk key helps with that (left control key), although my left pinky has a mean callous on it since I've used it so much to talk while playing. I would prefer to play the mouse with my left hand, but over the years I trained my right hand because it would be faster for me to react without my hands being crossed over each other like they were when I first started playing.

Good luck with the project, I will love to read more about how it all progresses!
85 Human Hunter
for the OP i dont know if any one has posted about this or not but recently at bestbuy i saw a trackball like mouse that had a full 10-key style number board attached to it with the ball being below the keys. had +- all that other mess with it. i dont remember the manufacturers name but when i get by there again ill look for it and post it but this also might be a helpful tool for someone like yourself. that would lead to a massive amount of keybinds.
85 Dwarf Warrior
Thank you, OP for this post. It has honestly had a good effect on my attitutde in WoW.

I will be the first to admit that I have generally been a good person on WoW, but then a bad day at work or school would set me against anything that moved when I logged onto WoW that day. And, sadly enough, the first people I would take out my frustration on were people who weren't performing like Jesus himself in their role. This had led to many many frustrations and me feeling like a complete douche afterwards, but I waved it off, telling myself "4/5 people on WoW are trolling idiots."

Then today I read this post, and let me just thank you for the attitude you have. I always thought in the back of my mind there would be that one person who really had a disability outside WoW, and they were performing excellently, but being the jerk I am, anything short of utter perfection set me off and I would get unexplainedly mad for the stupidest reasons. But now, that little niggle in the back of my mind is a real possibility, and thank you for brining this to the forefront, OP.

Now if we could just get all healthy people to realize this :P
Edited by Folkvar on 4/15/2011 11:49 AM PDT
100 Blood Elf Priest
www.ablegamers.com is certainly cool, but it doesn't focus on any one game. I think it would be nice to develop something dedicated to WoW. People don't like to wade through a bunch of stuff to find the few bits related to the one game.

I have contacted Walaman directly and I hope to work with him and maybe a small WoW users group to determine what kinds of things people would like to see for this website. I need this kind of information to look for funding for upkeep of the site. Too many times I see people volunteer to get things started then it all falls to pieces for upkeep because there's no funding.

Walaman's idea is really awesome and I hope I can help get a users group started that will have the ear of the Blizz team through their website and other venues to expand possibilities in this game.
85 Troll Shaman
04/14/2011 03:27 PMPosted by Nethaera
We would also like to encourage everyone to share any additional small script functions or changes that might help make better addons for disabled gamers so that we could look into the feasibility of adding these into the game as well.

So maybe the UI thread would be better for this, and the following suggestions are actual game suggestions rather than scripts or macros. But all the same, I'm a C5 quadriplegic (no feeling below my armpits, no use of my fingers or triceps) and I've been a WoW gamer since release. I use two "typing aids" (basically a stick with a rubber tip that sticks out of my palm) to play and it's not that difficult as long as I don't have to press 3 buttons at once. It's basically just like playing WoW only using your two index fingers. For a mouse I just use my laptops touchpad, and I've been able to play fully including vanilla Naxx raiding, and downing heroic mode Ulduar bosses while it was still top content.

That all being said, anything I can do to avoid the mouse is the way to go for me. Here's stuff I would love to see in the game personally, although I understand these might make it easier for people to exploit the game with bots or scripts. If some of these things exist already feel free to call me an idiot.

#1. A hotkey to target the nearest unlooted corpse, and a hotkey to loot the target.

#2. I use f1-f5 to target group members and heal a lot. I wish there was an option to make me always be the top of my group in the raid frame display. Sometimes F2 is the second person and sometimes it's the first person. I know why it does this and I adapt but it'd be nice to fix it.

#3. As mentioned I use f1-f5 a lot, but this only works for my party, for raids I still have to click to heal, which is much slower. If I could change my "focus party" with a hotkey so that when I press f1-f5 it selects the 1st-5th member from that party, that'd be amazing. (IE: I hit shift f2 to target group 2 then f4 to target the 4th member then 9 to purge that terrible BH dot... No clicking!)

#4. Options to change the order of tab targeting, no one seems to understand what it's priority is. This could just be me being ignorant. (in fact, I guess I haven't often tried using target nearest and the other targeting functions... I'll look into those again...)

#5. A flip around button, as in rotate 180 degrees instantly. It's hard to turn around quickly as a keyboard turner. I wouldn't even mind if there was a 10 second cooldown on this capacity so people can't use it to kite any easier.

And that's it for now.

Props to everyone who has been sharing their stories and to everyone who supports us disabled gamers! :) I'm proud of it, notice my guild tag.
61 Worgen Death Knight
Well my dear friend Walaman. It seems you have become a hero to alot of people and not only did you change my life but it seems alot of others as well. I hope your family knows how lucky they are to have you. They did a fantastic job of raising you into a fine person.

It is wonderful to see all the support and encouragement you have received. You have started something wonderful for the betterment of WoW society. I do believe what you have started here will have longer reaching effects than you ever thought possible. I also play a free MMO called Requiem. I mentioned this and several have mentioned interest in this as well. So it is not just WoW players needing this but all MMO players.

I would suggest starting a Facebook Group for disabled gamers. maybe Enabled Gamer Group or some such.

Keep up the great work. I am trying to work on some things from this end that might help but it is slow going thus far (time restraints).
Edited by Razghoul on 4/15/2011 2:22 PM PDT
90 Human Hunter
am hunter and i can mainly use 1 hand am tryong to use class of characters with a bit difficulty ...the game takke mind mine off been stuck in bed all day and relaxing me ..like most dungen with me guild since am not fast enough to cast skills ...this game give us disabled people opstion to feel somwhat better about our self ...am glad to play this game with mine friends and other people ..btw pls let me know when u'r website gets online lov to sing up
good luck
100 Undead Priest
i would be more than happy to go out of my way to help someone who is disabled in game with a difficult quest that would require you to do something that might be diffucult. I personally havent seen or talked to someone who i have found to be disabled but if i have they are completely normal and would have never known it if they havent told me. if you have an alt on aerie peak i would be more than happy to help you or just to simply hang out if u prefer.
85 Draenei Shaman
I am also a partially disabled WoW player. The day I was born, my right shoulder broke, healed wrong and nerves ended up in a bad place, my right arm goes mostly numb randomly for a long painful time.
Then when I was young and stupid I broke my right (dominant) hand pretty badly (as in crushed to the point that my pinkie slid between my index and ring fingers...)it also healed poorly. I can only use my thumb, index and middle finger well on that hand, and as a result, I learned to mouse left handed.

Fast forward to WoW, and all the people who jump on your case about being a clicker, how you will "Never set foot in MY raids because clicking = fail" Well, sure I use my right hand to move on the WASD keys and keybind most of my abilities to my mouse where I can and where I can't, I click. I have VuhDo setup when I heal, with keybinds to my mouse, and it works for me. I DPS well on several toons, and even tank on a couple. I make it work for me.
I can tell you I searched for a very very long time to be able to find a left-handed friendly gaming mouse when my last one died....and it was a hard thing to do. I did settle on a Razer Lachesis and while I love it...I wish I could bind all the buttons on the mouse without resorting to Razer's driver keybind scheme.
I Salute everyone who has shared their experiences with being a disabled gamer, and those people who may not be disabled, may not know someone who is disabled, but are offering their genuine support and help to people who can use some courtesy and understanding.

We are gamers too
Edited by Gouka on 4/15/2011 3:14 PM PDT
85 Orc Shaman
Mighty impressed.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
04/14/2011 12:05 PMPosted by Pitchkart
I've suffered chemical brain damage due to drug treatments

Hey, this sounds familiar. *waves* I was diagnosed with systemic lupus (and rheumatoid arthritis and tendonitis) three years ago. The prednisone I needed to treat it wrecked all manner of brain chemicals, and it wasn't until it was too late that I discovered the med I took to level them back out is linked to memory loss. /rude Effexor. It's like trying to think past a thick wad of cotton, with moments of focus and clarity fewer and further between, and I need constant visual reminders to do simple things like picking up med refills from the pharmacy. I'm on something different now, but the damaged bits are still fraying like so much cheap cloth and affect how well I play; all the signals get disrupted at random and I end up either doing nothing or doing the wrong things in my moments of disorientation. It happened during my raid last night: I pulled aggro twice during one H Maloriak attempt and died because hitting Feign Death to drop threat like I had the previous try simply evaporated into the ether. I'm not dumb, but damn if I don't feel that way a lot because of this bloody frustrating thing I can't control. :/ I haven't bothered mentioning it to my guild because I know it'll just sound like an excuse to the less tolerant for poor performance, so I try to work past it as best I can instead.

Walaman, I'm very glad you've gotten so much positive attention from your post and that so many have offered their help for what you want to do. You have some big brass ones just for putting this out there in the first place and it's heartening to see so few practitioners of the Greater Internet D!ckwad Theory mucking around your thread. I most eagerly look forward to the results of your endeavor and the good it will bring to all those who have posted and those who are afraid to.
85 Human Warlock
This guy plays WoW with one hand... I bet he is a better player than half the players I get in random's lately!!
85 Draenei Paladin
so glad i decided to watch Totalbiscuit's Azeroth Daily on youtube today, it sent me here, i my self have Aspergers Syndrome, its a form of Autism, i find myself tunneling alot and i have trouble focusing on more than one thing at a time, but i also have a very good memory and i even used to raid lead for my guild on the horde back in TBC, i'm a bit of a perfectionist and i love achievments, there are so many different ways to play this game, solo, 5 man group, 10 man group, 25 man group, you can farm minerals, herbs and leather, you might be on trade chat selling your proffesions, you might play the Auction House, being disabled whether physically or mentally or both shouldn't stop you from doing what you love, i applaud you for creating this eye /mind opening post, maybe in time your efforts will lead to "normal" people being more understanding of the many different condtions that are suffered around the world.

some of the posts i read brought tears to my eyes, there are alot of caring and generous people out there who would be willing to help you achieve your goals with the website that you are trying to create
55 Worgen Warrior
i am very proud that u adapted to wow with cerebral palsy (did i spell it right?). it is very sad u have cerebral palsy.
67 Human Paladin
finaly something like this i have albinism and im half blind so it is hard for me to see the games text and npcs i cant wait to see the website when its up in running
I'm lucky. I have audio processing problems - I hesitate to label myself hard of hearing, because it's not the same. I can hear fine, but I simply have trouble processing the noise to interpret it, especially something like speech that's so detailed and nuanced. As an example, when I was at university a lecture meant that my attention couldn't stray at all. I had to focus on the words coming from the lecturer for the entire hour (or two hours!) of the class, or I'd get completely lost. And it gets worse when there's a lot of other input as well. It took me a long time to decide to use ventrilo for the first time and sometimes it's very difficult - I've learned that I cannot do lower level raids with my guild on our high level toons because, since they're so easy, there's not as much organisation and the chaos is simply too much. After half an hour or so the noise from vent is incomprehensible and game warnings are meaningless noise as I forget what they mean. I'm just too scattered to understand any of it. Since I'm also diagnosed with an anxiety disorder it often triggers that as well.

So my problem isn't with the game itself, since most of the speech isn't vitally important and a lot of it is also written in the chat pane anyway. It's just that almost every raiding group requires vent. Normally, I just try to raid in the same groups as my sister, so that if I miss things she can tell me what's going on. I also try to always read up on things before I do them so I'm not relying on an audio explanation over voice chat, taking particular note of the things I need to pay attention to - I'll frequently just skim right through instructions for tanks so that what I need to know is stronger in my mind.

I'm never going to be a hardcore raider because I just can't do it for more than two or three hours at a time - my guild raids for three hours twice a week with a five minute break each hour, and if we down a boss with less than half an hour to go and we don't have TB, we'll often just finish early. It's really casual and fun which is perfect for me because I don't have to worry about missing something important because I had to focus on something else.

(On this note, it bugs the hell out of me that not all DVDs come with subtitles!)
04/15/2011 05:42 PMPosted by Kalithrien
I've suffered chemical brain damage due to drug treatments

Hey, this sounds familiar. *waves* I was diagnosed with systemic lupus (and rheumatoid arthritis and tendonitis) three years ago. The prednisone I needed to treat it wrecked all manner of brain chemicals, and it wasn't until it was too late that I discovered the med I took to level them back out is linked to memory loss. /rude Effexor.

Ahhhhh yes! I'm on Effexor after trying several other drugs that affected me badly or became practically useless. Honestly the Effexor isn't working so great anymore either. But it's truly a horrible medication, with an extremely short half-life, so if you miss two doses (and I take it twice a day) you go into withdrawal and it's very unpleasant. A lot of medications that deal with brain biochemistry (for mood disorders that are biologically caused, etc) have pretty bad long term side effects.
85 Human Mage
04/15/2011 09:10 PMPosted by Llwyd

Hey, this sounds familiar. *waves* I was diagnosed with systemic lupus (and rheumatoid arthritis and tendonitis) three years ago. The prednisone I needed to treat it wrecked all manner of brain chemicals, and it wasn't until it was too late that I discovered the med I took to level them back out is linked to memory loss. /rude Effexor.

Ahhhhh yes! I'm on Effexor after trying several other drugs that affected me badly or became practically useless. Honestly the Effexor isn't working so great anymore either. But it's truly a horrible medication, with an extremely short half-life, so if you miss two doses (and I take it twice a day) you go into withdrawal and it's very unpleasant. A lot of medications that deal with brain biochemistry (for mood disorders that are biologically caused, etc) have pretty bad long term side effects.

And here I thought being on Warfarin and Ambien/Lunesta was bad.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]