Secretly disabled WoW player (until now)

85 Troll Warrior
Good on you Walaman for being an all around awesome person and so concerned for the well being and enjoyment of your fellow disabled gamers. The world needs more people like you.
As a Speical Education teacher I commend you, and your articulation for that matter, on your post. I haven't had the time to read all the replies, but will do so when I am able.

Although I work with student's with mild disabilities, and have one myself, I think that your adjustments articulate one of my favorite comments to my students: Just because we are labeled as "Special Ed" doesn't mean we can't do something, but rather means that it might take us more time in order to do so.
90 Human Mage
04/14/2011 03:27 PMPosted by Nethaera
I wanted to follow-up with a bit more input into this thread with some information that you may find helpful. Awhile back, UI developer Slouken had developed an addon called “MovePad” http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info5476-MovePad.html which would allow people to use the mouse to move around the world with. This is something we are planning to implement as an option in a future content patch. We would also like to encourage everyone to share any additional small script functions or changes that might help make better addons for disabled gamers so that we could look into the feasibility of adding these into the game as well.

Um, the ability to move with just a mouse has been in the game since beta. I am not sure what you are saying this add on does.

To the OP. Go for it!
85 Blood Elf Hunter
04/15/2011 09:10 PMPosted by Llwyd

Hey, this sounds familiar. *waves* I was diagnosed with systemic lupus (and rheumatoid arthritis and tendonitis) three years ago. The prednisone I needed to treat it wrecked all manner of brain chemicals, and it wasn't until it was too late that I discovered the med I took to level them back out is linked to memory loss. /rude Effexor.

Ahhhhh yes! I'm on Effexor after trying several other drugs that affected me badly or became practically useless. Honestly the Effexor isn't working so great anymore either. But it's truly a horrible medication, with an extremely short half-life, so if you miss two doses (and I take it twice a day) you go into withdrawal and it's very unpleasant. A lot of medications that deal with brain biochemistry (for mood disorders that are biologically caused, etc) have pretty bad long term side effects.

Oh god, the withdrawal is ten million kinds of horrid. >.< In my case, that was severe vertigo and tinnitus for three weeks straight -- I had to hold onto furniture and walls when I moved around my apartment so I wouldn't fall over. I'm on Wellbutrin now and so far, so good. Have you given that one a crack?
Would gladly slaughter helpless creatures with you anyday.
85 Orc Death Knight
04/15/2011 11:15 PMPosted by Athulryes
Would gladly slaughter helpless creatures with you anyday.

This :)

I will be contacting you to see what I can do to help. This has done my heart good. Keep it up brother.
11 Troll Hunter
I wanted to follow-up with a bit more input into this thread with some information that you may find helpful. Awhile back, UI developer Slouken had developed an addon called “MovePad” http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info5476-MovePad.html which would allow people to use the mouse to move around the world with. This is something we are planning to implement as an option in a future content patch. We would also like to encourage everyone to share any additional small script functions or changes that might help make better addons for disabled gamers so that we could look into the feasibility of adding these into the game as well.

MoveAnything: http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info11208-MoveAnything.html

Which allows you to move all frames and make them larger - for the purposes of READING them - not just because it looks KewL
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I /salute you on your courage to post to the forums. Your post and people's kind and supportive responses to it warmed my heart. I too, am differently-abled so to speak, as I struggle with dyspraxia. Yes, the jokes I have heard over the years about how "she can't tell her left from her right" are true. I can get confused very quickly, especially in new places I have never been to before. For 5 years I played on EU servers before I rerolled here. I was very lucky to have dear friends there who when content was considered old, would take me back to these places so I could see them. Once I've seen a place a few times, I make the needed adaptations, and then it isn't a scary place anymore.

Finding patient people who don't mind taking time out like that seems harder to find these days. I do know there are many that are like this, but it is hard to figure out where they are with so many servers. I've been content as I always have been with helping people with hard quests or a boost here and there, but the way the game is now, it is hard to even find people who need help in that way. So, looking for Mr. Time-Lost and grinding rep factions keep me away from the harshness that would have me in tears years ago, trying to keep up with content in pugs and the like.

I play with the arrow keys (like WASD) for movement, and yes, I'm a clicker. So left fingers are on the arrow keys right next to the number pad and my right hand is on the mouse. Autorun helps me so I can type in game, but during a fight I can't type too well. Push to talk key helps with that (left control key), although my left pinky has a mean callous on it since I've used it so much to talk while playing. I would prefer to play the mouse with my left hand, but over the years I trained my right hand because it would be faster for me to react without my hands being crossed over each other like they were when I first started playing.

Good luck with the project, I will love to read more about how it all progresses!

thumbs up for the great post walaman(hope i got ur name correct), your post really touched me. really good work

i don't know if it will help but im currently playing on Thaurissan and Jubei'Thos so if any of u needs help with anything like tanking for heroics or see old content on this servers or just plain rep grind i will definitely be willing to :> just drop me an ingame mail ^^ btw its aluunatic on jubei :P

Edited by Fitte on 4/16/2011 9:00 AM PDT
90 Pandaren Priest
It's really nice to see someone speaking out about this. When people encounter players in WoW, a lot of times they're harsh and judgmental about that player's gaming ability. So few people really stop to think that maybe there might be a reason that the person plays that way. Not everyone is capable of Top 10 guild skill, but that doesn't mean they're BAD. Kudos to you on working with what you have. A close friend of mine who played WoW similarly just passed away recently and it brightens my day to see someone reminding me of his refusal to accept defeat against what he was given in life.
85 Worgen Warrior
what about ppl out there that make gadgets oriented for disabled pc users, someone else thinks this could also happen for wow oriented gadgets? and/or disabled gamers as a whole? dont take me wrong i just think it could be great to let everyone play and enjoy a game from the start equally
76 Undead Mage
This is an awesome idea!

I myself have no disabilities, physical or mental, but I have friends who do. They also struggled to adapt to the game, so I'm sure they'd be thrilled to have other people like them (and I don't mean that in an offensive manner) to talk with and share their strategies with.
85 Tauren Shaman
I'm not sure a lot of people have considered this (and I hadn't
either until I read the OP's post), but the TapChat pedal might
make a good peripheral to recommend for disabled users that
have trouble using their hands.

Though its intended purpose was for hands-free VOIP, I've found it
far more useful as an extra key bind that I can call on whenever
I need it and I only need to move my foot for it.

Maybe that's mentioned in their advertisements for it (I have no
idea) or it's been mentioned somewhere before, but it's some-
thing to think about.

It's a relatively cheap thing ($30 when I purchased it), so it's not
terribly out-of-reach for most people on a budget.

Now that I think about it...I wonder if I could use more than one?

Anyway, food for thought.
65 Undead Death Knight
I have dislexia and memory problems which make learning many of the classes too hard and limit my ability to play in groups, I usually just dodge requests to party until the guildies and friends quit asking instead of trying to explain, which means that you eventually end up left behind...nothing new.lol

Since I can speak well and converse socialy alot of people don't really take to the fact that I "claim" to not be able to function in group settings at a rapid pace so i mainly solo with hunters.

I'd like a place (forums or website) where these things could be shared with others who have similar things going on.

90 Human Paladin
what if everyone did something nice for one other person - just one - in WoW everyday? What a different game we'd have if, instead of yelling and trolling someone, we stopped to try to help them out and teach them something new, or help them succeed at something they previously thought was impossible.

OP, when you get your website set up, I want to see it. :)

This is a great idea. It doesn't just apply to WoW, but real life as well. And the link will be posted soon.
90 Blood Elf Hunter
We would also like to encourage everyone to share any additional small script functions or changes that might help make better addons for disabled gamers so that we could look into the feasibility of adding these into the game as well.

I don't have a script or anything for this, but I have said it before, I would LOVE for Blizzard to add some features to turn flashing off for epileptics. I don't want them to remove the flashing effects from the game, but just give us a graphics option to turn it down or off.

Seizures are not fun to have, and flashing lights can trigger them. WoW has several flashes... Such as the new dying elementals, a lot of the lightning effects and so on.
85 Troll Shaman
I just found this post today while looking for a macro for I don't even remember what. It really touched me, and I hope that this site gets up and running soon.

I too am a disabled gamer, though not physically. I suffer from PTSD, Bi-polar disorder, anxiety, and Intermittent Explosive disorder, partially hereditary, and partially from traumatic experiences as a child. I also have social issues as well. I don't like going into PuG's, especially as a healer, because of the whole "blame the healer" mentality. My DK has a tank spec that I hardly use, because of the fact that I get very nervous trying to tank.

I usually don't post with this toon, I usually use my DK (who is male), but this seems to be a very nice thread to be more like myself in.

I may be sending you an email at a later time, Walaman, I'd love to help out with the site. I can do wonderful things with GIMP (the Photoshop-type program, that's what they called it!).
85 Human Warlock
Truely an inspiring story indeed. I hope everything turns out great, and after reading the majority of these posts, your website will thrive with quantities of people on it at once. Ala traffic.

Best wishes to you and all your supporters.
86 Worgen Rogue
I have had some work with web coding... I would be more than happy to help with anything on the site.

This is something that all WoW players should read!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]