Carnelian

85 Undead Mage
Ok guys I just ran into someone who wanted to get rid of 14 stacks of Carnelian and he sold it at 2800 gold which seemed like a good price. I want to craft it for DEing purposes so which item is best for crafting when it comes to Carnelian and Nightstone?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
You just saved him the time of having to cut and vendor all that. I wish you were on my server.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
I know but he agreed to become my full time Disenchanter so it was a win win for me. Best item to craft for DEing plz?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
highest ilvl with lowest mat requirement
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
match the price of a single carnelian to how much a greater celestial essence sells for. if its around 20g on your server for the essence and 10gfor the carnelian you bought for, then you just made 2k gold.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
For DE

Carnelian Spikes. Three Carnelian and three Setting each.
Nightstone Chokers. Two Nightstone and a Setting each.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
btw, the spikes de for at least 2-3 greater celestial essences with the occasional hypnotic dust. so spikes hands down bru.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
/agreed, make spikes.

Damn, someone complaining about 10 gold per carnelian? (not the OP). I wish you were on my server, I pay up to 20/25 gold per and make money doing it. I would buy 50 stacks of carnelians at 10 per.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
04/12/2011 09:00 PMPosted by Erison
btw, the spikes de for at least 2-3 greater celestial essences with the occasional hypnotic dust. so spikes hands down bru.

Don't say "at least" when you're describing the best possible result.

People need to know the actual math behind this kind of thing or they're going to make bad decisions.

Carnelian Spikes DE into 2-3 GCE 75% of the time and 2-5 HD 25% of the time, so you get on average 1.875 GCE and 0.875 HD per DE. They take 3 Carnelians and 3 Jewelers Settings to make.

On my server the going rate for GCE is 18g and Dust is 4g. Obviously this varies, so you have to calculate it locally.

So, 18*1.875 + 4*0.875 = 37.25g avg return. Minus the cost of the Settings, even assuming vendor Exalted + guild level 24 is 1.05g each which means 34.10g value out of 3 Carnelians.

Which means that if you buy them for 10g each, you personally only make about 1g40s per gem at the cost of a fair bit of running around and also absorbing the risk of having to sell the enchanting materials.

Now I know a lot of servers probably don't have the huge pop of JCs and Enchanters mine does - we always seem to have rock bottom enchanting mats prices - but my point is, do the math, work it out. It isn't automatically a good deal.
Reply Quote
I tried the carnelian spike route and then DE. I didn't do that for long. Now I send them with heartblossom to my transmute alchamist. Make a stack of inferno ruby's which still sell for 100g cut on my server. At that rate I can pay about 25g a carnelian, but since I prospect it I get it for much cheaper.

In any event sounds like you got a good deal OP
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
The problem with buying Carnelians (or any other uncommon gem) to DE is that when the next patch hits, EVERYONE will be doing this, will will bottom out the price of enchanting mats. If you can't sell them before patch or before others realize this, you'll lose money on this strategy.

Don't think that greater celestial essence is going to maintain its price when uncommon gems are no long worth vendoring instead of milling to enchanting mats.

Very true. lots of affects to 4.1. Everything said here varies by server. On mine, GCE go for 50 gold, sometimes even higher. Therefor the spikes are great deals here.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I am hoping that 4.1 encourages some people to leave the Jewelcrafting industry. Never was a fan of FOTM individuals.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
04/13/2011 10:56 AMPosted by Sorelai
I am hoping that 4.1 encourages some people to leave the Jewelcrafting industry. Never was a fan of FOTM individuals.

FOTM=Flavor of the Month?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/13/2011 11:34 AMPosted by Aresheals

Yep. Tends to flood the market. If people don't see quick and easy ways to profit in a profession, they move on the the next best thing. It allows the people dedicated to make more money.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
Are the threads which discuss the incoming ore nerf getting nuked?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/13/2011 11:55 AMPosted by Zinn
Are the threads which discuss the incoming ore nerf getting nuked?

Several threads around about it.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Rogue
Glad there are so many threads in this forum and the PTR forum which have official blue posts about.. anything.
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Paladin
04/13/2011 11:51 AMPosted by Sorelai

Yep. Tends to flood the market. If people don't see quick and easy ways to profit in a profession, they move on the the next best thing. It allows the people dedicated to make more money.

Ok I get ya. Yeah, every month or so some troll posts a ton of glyphs for 10 gold, (not leveling glyphs, I recognize them), if I get too ticked I just stop posting all glyphs for a week or two. Same with JC, some dude will undercut everything by 50 gold for a few days, then he is gone, (and probably here on the forums QQ how JC is "broken")
Reply Quote

Ok I get ya. Yeah, every month or so some troll posts a ton of glyphs for 10 gold, (not leveling glyphs, I recognize them), if I get too ticked I just stop posting all glyphs for a week or two. Same with JC, some dude will undercut everything by 50 gold for a few days, then he is gone, (and probably here on the forums QQ how JC is "broken")

haha "wai kant I make any monies with JC>?? BLIZZ ANSWER MEE!"
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]