Hunter Macro Guide

(Sticky)

85 Human Hunter
No, there isnt a macro for that. Atleast im not aware of it. Anyways its not hard to fear a feral or a pet
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
Strlder I just want to say I may just love ya.......this has helped so much!! Thanks for posting this, really has come in handy and made my life alittle easier!!
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Hunter
So is this the official Hunter page for Macros? If so can i pick some brains? I am trying to reduce the level of buttons at my disposal while getting some of my unused shots I really should have for CC on my main Keybinds(1,2,3...0,-,=) So here are some of the macros ideas I think may work, keeping in mind I don't have access to my alt key due to focus binding. If anyone can help me code them would be great.

Oh and only being lvl 70 and not having all my spells yet, some updating suggestions as the skills are acquired would be nice.

1) A macro for PVP that target's strictly players, and autocasts Hunter's mark. but I can use to target any mob, possibly on mouseover for PvE such as Raids and dungeons.

2) A pet macro for my 5 pets that can summon the needed one with a mod or something, and Cast Dismiss if a pet is out. This would likely be a click as I don't expect to do it much in active PvP just during down time. So having it on a keybind wouldn't be necessary. If it can cast random based on talent tree(Fer/cunn/ten) I could have that based on what 5 pets I have and their trees.

2) an anti-stealth Macro: for casing flair and setting my pet on defensive. and activating their attack. I am hoping this one will help with my issue of always getting saped and murdered in PvP. I normally keep my pet on assist. Any good Anti-stealth macro would be helpful so i can spam it and maybe catch that bugger before death's cold stair.

3) an anti-melee macro: that will do something with my war stomp, scattershot, intimidation, and possibly my wingclip. You know basically something I can spam to deal with all the rushers, and then activate my disengage to get the distance I need? I may need two macros for this due to the complexity and the consistency of me finding myself in melee range.

4) In case I want to double up on my macros is it possible to create a macro that changes my actionbar to one of the others? Whatever it is I think I'll have to have it on all of them for it to work properly. I do use two actionbars for my professions and other assorted PvE needs. So that is to less that need be added to the macro.

5) Buff Macro that does something with my Proc Buffs like Focus fire, and a normal one like BW, and fever, my rapid fire, ect.

6) possibly a shot macro that uses Kill shot when it is up but another shot like Multi-shot otherwise. I tried making a Kill Macro for both Kill shot and Kill command but could not figure how I wanted to do that.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Hunter
#showtooltip misdirection
/cast [target=focus, help] misdirection; [help] misdirection; [target=pet, exists] misdirection

Can you use a [mod:shift] to add growl to this macro? Such as:

#showtooltip misdirection
/cast [target=focus, help] misdirection; [help] misdirection; [target=pet, exists] misdirection
/cast [mod:shift, @target] growl

You would only want growl to work while holding shift otherwise not at all.

Reply Quote
81 Tauren Hunter
Does anyone even use the "target" line anymore? I thought it was always "@" now?
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Hunter
i know im going to sound stupid by asking this, but i want to know. what are macros for? how do i use them, and how do i set them up?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
08/31/2011 10:26 AMPosted by Cautemoc
i know im going to sound stupid by asking this, but i want to know. what are macros for? how do i use them, and how do i set them up?

O.o

Ok,

What's a Macro? it's a list of commands executed together (or more like one after the other).

What are macros for? It group a series of commands, saving you time and making it more efficient for you to get things done. Example: to misdirect to your main tank or your pet, you have to click on them, cast misdirect, then click on your target and start the attack. With the misdirect macro, you only click it once without loosing your original target.

How do you set them up? Go to your main menu and click on the Macro tab, write down the macro and save it, then add the icon to your action bar. When you click on that icon, your macro will run.

Hope this helps,
G's
Edited by Maracaibo on 8/31/2011 1:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
08/31/2011 10:26 AMPosted by Cautemoc

Essentially macros allow you to perform several actions at once, in other words macros are good for automating certain aspects of the game.

Type in /macro or click on the macro button in the main menu. Copy paste the text I included in the guide into the boxes. Then drag the button from the macro menu onto your action bar.

A basic macro that you can try to start out using macros is something like

#showtooltip Hunter's Mark
/cast Hunter's Mark
/petattack

this will cast hunter's mark on the target and send your pet to attack it. Leave the icon as the red ? and it will change into the ability icon based on what your write at the start of the macro.

I suppose I can include a small macro basics section at the start of the guide when I am back.

Also does anyone think premonition is the worst movie ever. My gf is watching it and my brain is wilting ~.~

Strlder
Edited by Agrodk on 8/31/2011 2:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
My macro I use for aspect switching:

#showtooltip steady shot
/cast [mod:shift] aspect of the fox
/cast [mod:ctrl] aspect of the hawk
/cast steady shot

Replace steady shot with cobra shot if you are bm or survival. Hold shift when moving to cast steady on the move, and hold control and click steady to switch back to hawk. More effective than some other aspect macros I have found.
Reply Quote
59 Night Elf Hunter
Strider: Thank you for these macros...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
Thanks so much for these macros!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
I am a BM and have been playing around with a couple macros, these work with spirit beasts so make sure you only have that pet out.

First one is my oh crap button
#showtooltip spirit mend
/target darhews
/cast spirit mend
/use endless healing potion
/cast disengage
/targetenemy

this heals me for a ton, gets me away from mob and allows the pet to regain agro

I also have a blow stuff up macro for burst damage
#showtooltip kill command
/cast call of the wild
/cast bestial wrath
/cast rabid
/cast roar of courage
/cast kill command

you can add /use if you have any trinkets or clickies, this works great for a quick burst of damage it also allows me to take those skills off my pets rotation so i have one button to use them when needed
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Thanks for the macros! Your guide is very neat and well put together. I have a few questions however...

Firstly... What is the purpose of:

/castsequence reset=1 !Aspect of the Hawk, null
I noticed many, many guides have said to use it. Is it any different than just doing:

/cast !Aspect of the Hawk
as in:

#showtooltip Chimera Shot
/cast Chimera Shot
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Secondly, Repins stated (page 2):

Never macro aspects into your shots. Ever. Go do a five minute test on a dummy with them and without them. You'll have less gcds spent with them. The game ques the macros funny resulting in a ton of lag on the shot following the aspect.

Is this accurate? I have noticed some oddities with my shots using these macros (mostly getting stuck in one of the Aspects and it not wanting to swap like it should). My guess is I shouldn't mash keys as much as I do and that's what is causing the problem.
Edited by Zardon on 9/18/2011 1:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Thanks for the macros! Your guide is very neat and well put together. I have a few questions however...

Firstly... What is the purpose of:

/castsequence reset=1 !Aspect of the Hawk, null
I noticed many, many guides have said to use it. Is it any different than just doing:

as in:

#showtooltip Chimera Shot
/cast Chimera Shot
/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear()

Puts in a 1 sec delay before casting the aspect again (the aspects GCD is 1 sec). Works better while spammed that way.

Secondly, Repins stated (page 2):

Never macro aspects into your shots. Ever. Go do a five minute test on a dummy with them and without them. You'll have less gcds spent with them. The game ques the macros funny resulting in a ton of lag on the shot following the aspect.

Is this accurate? I have noticed some oddities with my shots using these macros (mostly getting stuck in one of the Aspects and it not wanting to swap like it should). My guess is I shouldn't mash keys as much as I do and that's what is causing the problem.

Because of a 1 sec CD on aspects there can be times when you are stuck in one aspect for a fraction of a second if you are mashing your keys.

As to globals loss I dunno if it's true and I have not tested it. I doubt it, due to aspects being on their own GCD, but well anything is possible. You are welcome to try and report your findings =P
Edited by Strlder on 9/18/2011 4:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
Thanks for the macros, they've been really helpful. I'm looking for a particular macro that I haven't been able to find, however. I remember that warriors had a one-button stance dance macro that read something like:

/cast [stance:1]Berserker Stance;[stance:2]Battle Stance;[stance:3]Battle Stance

Which would put you in berserker stance if you were in battle stance, and battle stance if you were in berserker or defensive. This was particularly useful if you wanted to change stances without activating your rotational ability macros, without using more than one button.

I'm looking for a similar macro for Hawk/Fox which would put you in whichever one you currently were not in. I've tried to re-create it for myself, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'm not sure whether it still exists, or whether cataclysm broke it, or if hunter aspects are no longer considered stances for the purposes of macros. Any help would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
88 Orc Hunter
my pet wolf's name is pancake
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
I have a macro request. There have been a few times where in a dungeon the tank has died and in order to not wipe i would have to summon my tank pet. Problem is he just doesn't hold aggro in groups well enough. Is there a way to make a macro that automatically casts "Misdirection" on your pet without dropping your current target?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
yea.. and it's in the guide.

only thing i dont think it would work unless you /clearfocus

so you could run with something like

/use [mod:alt,@focus][@pet,nodead][] Misdirection

dunno if the syntax is completely right and cant really try it out atm, nobody is online to check it with.
Edited by Strlder on 9/28/2011 5:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
What macro do most hunters use to control their pets? At the moment I am just using a single bind to attack my target and a single bind to put the pet on passive.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter

I would like a macro that will throw up hunters mark for me, tied to steady shot maybe?

and another that executes kill command with something else like SS or whatever?

is this a bad idea? dps drop?
lemme know
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]