Hunter Macro Guide

(Sticky)

90 Night Elf Hunter
Hello everyone,
My first attempt at macro writing not sure if anyone can you them but I created 4 macros that have a good rotation, I was able to average 1K DPS at my level so it might scale you pretty nice. The key is that these can be hot keyed and then each tap is a new shot that follow the last in damage and ability.

Beast Master Regular battle (average attacks for working a room)
#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=5 Arcane Shot, Serpent Sting, Concussive Shot, Dire Beast, Bestial Wrath, Intimidation, Kill Command, Arcane Shot, Readiness, Dire Beast, Bestial Wrath,Serpent Sting, Arcane Shot, Concussive Shot, Arcane Shot, Steady Shot

Beast Master Heavy (Boss fight)
#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=5 Arcane Shot, Serpent Sting, Concussive Shot, Dire Beast, Bestial Wrath, Intimidation, Arcane Shot, Kill Command, Readiness,,Dire Beast, Bestial Wrath,Serpent Sting, Arcane Shot, Concussive Shot, Arcane Shot, Mend Pet

Marksman Regular
#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=5 Arcane Shot, Serpent Sting, Concussive Shot, Dire Beast, Rapid Fire, Aimed Shot, Chimera Shot, Steady Shot, Steady Shot, Aimed Shot, Chimera Shot, Arcane Shot, Steady Shot, Aimed Shot, Steady Shot, Arcane Shot, Mend Pet

Markman Heavy (very focus heavy so mangement is key)
#showtooltip /castsequence reset=5 Arcane Shot, Serpent Sting, Concussive Shot, Dire Beast, Aimed Shot, Chimera Shot, Rapid Fire, Steady Shot, Steady Shot, Aimed Shot, Chimera Shot, Readiness, Rapid Fire, Dire Beast, Chimera Shot, Aimed Shot, Steady Shot
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Cast sequences like that are a pretty terrible idea outside of may be leveling or farming easy mobs.

Also i am not sure why you have conc shot in every one of your macros. Also I do not see how you are managing to use even half of what you have in the macros with a 5 sec reset.
Edited by Strlder on 10/28/2012 7:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Cast sequences like that are a pretty terrible idea outside of may be leveling or farming easy mobs.

Also i am not sure why you have conc shot in every one of your macros. Also I do not see how you are managing to use even half of what you have in the macros with a 5 sec reset.

Fair question and the sequence it is for leveling as I am still at 65 and this is my main. Conc Shot is to slow movement a slower target means my hits strike (not that I have alot of misses) but since the cycle is not target specific I can change targets and keep shooting there by using my pet to go from target to target. The reset is from the last use not first strike and gobal cool is one seconfd, so one key stroke can be done in less then 5 seconds.

Finally No one has to use any of this and maybe there is a tweak or two that could be added but it is a start and isn't that what a thread like this about sharing and helping.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Im trying to get this macro to work but Dire beast going goes off half the time
#showtooltip Arcane Shot
/cast Arcane Shot
/cast Dire Beast
/startattack
any idea's?
Reply Quote
85 Human Hunter
nice post
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Im trying to get this macro to work but Dire beast going goes off half the time
#showtooltip Arcane Shot
/cast Arcane Shot
/cast Dire Beast
/startattack
any idea's?

In theory it should not work at all, because both abilities are on GCD, but Bliz tinkered around with how macros work so it does work, but I think it works almost like a 1 sec reset castsequence type thing except you need to have enough focus for at least 2 arcane shots or the 2nd ability wont go off and you need to spam the macro.

So yea most likely a focus issue for you.
Edited by Strlder on 11/4/2012 2:22 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Great thread. A lot of macro's I'll definitely be using.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
5.1 has broken the macros that I had posted here so I have removed them.
Edited by Ewing on 12/10/2012 6:54 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
Could someone please tell me how to turn on/off Growl in a macro - thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
10/28/2012 07:47 PMPosted by Strlder
Also I do not see how you are managing to use even half of what you have in the macros with a 5 sec reset.

The reset actually only starts counting seconds when you stop calling on the macro. If you keep calling the macro, it continues to the next item in the sequence regardless of how much time it takes to go through the whole sequence. I just found this out from testing on dummies. I have a macro I seldom use with three shots in it and a one second reset. With nimble fingers, all three shots can be fired, but if you let up for a second, it restarts back to the first in the sequence. I did this trying to get around some disparate cooldown times.

11/15/2012 08:19 PMPosted by Chond

Try:
/petautocasttoggle growl
Edited by Rafaella on 11/15/2012 10:04 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
11/15/2012 08:19 PMPosted by Chond

Here is what I use:

#showtooltip
/cast Hunter's Mark
/petattack
/cast Charge
/petautocastoff [group] Growl
/petautocaston [nogroup] growl
/petautocastoff [nogroup] Cower
/petautocaston [group] Cower

However if you just want the grow on and off them you would want the following:

/petautocastoff [group] Growl
/petautocaston [nogroup] growl

Both macros will off growl when you are in a group, and back on when you are not..

However I use the following if case the tank dies.

#showtooltip
/cast Hunter's Mark
/petattack
/cast Charge
/petautocastoff [nogroup] growl
/petautocaston [group] Growl
/petautocastoff [group] Cower
/petautocaston [nogroup] Cower
Edited by Ewing on 11/16/2012 9:37 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Im trying to make a macro like this: "/castsequence reset=5 Bestial Wrath, Rabid, Lynx Rush" and its not working, prolly cuz Rabid is a pet skill. Any sugestions?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
11/27/2012 02:51 PMPosted by Tashanevikov
Im trying to make a macro like this: "/castsequence reset=5 Bestial Wrath, Rabid, Lynx Rush" and its not working, prolly cuz Rabid is a pet skill. Any sugestions?

You don't need a cast sequence for this since BW and Rabid won't trigger a GCD.

/use Bestial Wrath
/use Rabid
/use Lynx Rush

And yes, /use and /cast are interchangeable for abilities. If Rabid isn't working, verify that your pet is in fact ferocity specced, and that it isn't already on cooldown when hitting the macro (due to autocasting).
Edited by Goldthwait on 12/5/2012 10:34 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
08/31/2012 08:51 AMPosted by Wìx
Can anyone post a macro just for aspect switching for the new patch. Or does the GCD causing it now not to work?
So you guy will answer this question or we still talking about raptor strike macro ?And useless 1 button every thing macro ........
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
12/06/2012 08:11 AMPosted by Uldyr
Can anyone post a macro just for aspect switching for the new patch. Or does the GCD causing it now not to work?
So you guy will answer this question or we still talking about raptor strike macro ?And useless 1 button every thing macro ........

What?x2
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
BM Main Shot

/castsequence reset=target Serpent Sting,null
/castsequence reset=1 Cobra Shot
/castsequence Arcane Shot
/castsequence Kill Command
/castsequence Dire Beast,Focus Fire
/cast Glaive Toss
/cast Bestial Wrath
/cast Lynx Rush

I'm not that savvy with macros... Can someone explain why all the use of /castsequence in this one? This looks like something I'm trying to fiddle with... a 1 button that casts Kill Shot when available, Kill Command when IT'S available, and Cobra Shot any other time.

Could the above macro work the same if all those /castsequence were changed to /cast?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
BM Main Shot

/castsequence reset=target Serpent Sting,null
/castsequence reset=1 Cobra Shot
/castsequence Arcane Shot
/castsequence Kill Command
/castsequence Dire Beast,Focus Fire
/cast Glaive Toss
/cast Bestial Wrath
/cast Lynx Rush

I'm not that savvy with macros... Can someone explain why all the use of /castsequence in this one? This looks like something I'm trying to fiddle with... a 1 button that casts Kill Shot when available, Kill Command when IT'S available, and Cobra Shot any other time.

Could the above macro work the same if all those /castsequence were changed to /cast?

Dont' think you will be able to do it with a macro because even in a cast sequence it will get stuck on kill shot, I imagine, which you wont be able to fire until the boss drops to <20%. Regardless, castsequence macros like that are a bad way to play the game and you should use the abilities yourself.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
12/06/2012 01:51 PMPosted by Strlder
Regardless, castsequence macros like that are a bad way to play the game and you should use the abilities yourself.

Then why even have macros at all? I'm running out of room on my bars, and I want to aggregate some buttons into a single button. I'm not really trying to make a "PUSH THIS ALLA TIME" macro.

I'll probably make a macro with all my burst cooldowns on it, but I'll probably also keep a lot of them on their own buttons.

In a /castsequence, it can't just skip over Kill Shot if it's not active?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
12/06/2012 02:05 PMPosted by Zalzi
Regardless, castsequence macros like that are a bad way to play the game and you should use the abilities yourself.

Then why even have macros at all? I'm running out of room on my bars, and I want to aggregate some buttons into a single button. I'm not really trying to make a "PUSH THIS ALLA TIME" macro.

I'll probably make a macro with all my burst cooldowns on it, but I'll probably also keep a lot of them on their own buttons.

In a /castsequence, it can't just skip over Kill Shot if it's not active?

The point of the macros is to make things easier that would otherwise take several key presses, eg my pvp burst macro. It is not to make them play the game for you.

Any cast sequence macro will end up getting broken or delaying abilities by a few secs even if you do make it work. That's why I dont put any in the guide or even try to see if I can make the ones posted by other people work. It will always be a dps loss or bad for pvp.

The only reason to use castsequences (and im not even trolling here) is if you are somehow impaired and you physically cannot press the buttons fast enough or have enough reach etc, but it will be a suboptimal way to play the game because it was not designed with this in mind.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]