new action bars

85 Worgen Death Knight
Hi Blizzard,

You know with each expanion, it looks like there will be no more room for action buttons, and key bindings are not enough. What is blizzard planning to do with so many spells and not enough action buttons (bars that is) to keep up with the many combinations of action buttons for players needing to setup their action bar UIs according to pve, pvp, tanking... Can we add another section Action Bar in UI?
Edited by Proudkan on 4/25/2011 11:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
O.o
If anything last batch of UI changes considerably helped with this. They got rid of some major bar bluff like all the individual pally buffs, mage buffs, teleports, portals, even stuff like priest buffs got a trimming. Every single one of my toons including my dk got more bar space as a result.

You also might want to look into making some macros.
It can consolidate your bars a ton. Scrunch what you normally use 3 bars to show, into one.
http://www.wowpedia.org/Making_a_macro
Reply Quote
If you really need more bars with the default UI, use Button Forge. If you want to replace the default bars with better ones, use Dominos, Bartender or Macaroon.

http://www.vranx.com/bars.htm
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warrior
O.o
If anything last batch of UI changes considerably helped with this. They got rid of some major bar bluff like all the individual pally buffs, mage buffs, teleports, portals, even stuff like priest buffs got a trimming. Every single one of my toons including my dk got more bar space as a result.

My warrior has more keybinds than he used to (the same number plus Heroic Leap and Inner Rage).

My warlock has more keybinds than he used to (the same number plus Soulburn minus Drain Mana plus Fel Flame plus Demon Soul).

My warlock literally has no space on 5 bartender bars.
Reply Quote
86 Tauren Warrior
Have you ever been in that moment where you realize you forgot something on your bar, and you need it RIGHT NOW!

its like

"/cast Swiftmed"

d'oh, he died :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest

Have you ever been in that moment where you realize you forgot something on your bar, and you need it RIGHT NOW!

First time it occurred to me to use LoF on Ala'kir. I didn't have it bound to a mouse button since I almost never used it and I was searching through my bars going where? where??!!! WHERE!!!??
Ah crap he's dead....
Edited by Sedivy on 4/26/2011 7:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest

First time it occurred to me to use LoF on Ala'kir. I didn't have it bound to a mouse button since I almost never used it and I was searching through my bars going where? where??!!! WHERE!!!??
Ah crap he's dead....

LOL, I went through the exact same thing on Erudax in Grim Batol.

On-topic, I really can't see a need for more than 120 action buttons (the maximum capable using the Blizzard frontend). There aren't that many abilities in your spellbook. Hell, most people don't have that many keys on their keyboards. If you think you need more...you're wrong. This is one area of the game that Blizzard overengineered.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin

On-topic, I really can't see a need for more than 120 action buttons (the maximum capable using the Blizzard frontend). There aren't that many abilities in your spellbook. Hell, most people don't have that many keys on their keyboards. If you think you need more...you're wrong. This is one area of the game that Blizzard overengineered.

the action bar DO really not enough, if u don't use any addons on that. by default it got only 60 buttons not using any addons to show other hidden action bars. and u are not only putting spells on it, but might also putting other things like prof skills, items like heartstone, usable trinket, bandage, potions, foods etc, they occupy ALOT of the button if u really wanna put them on the bar. its even worse if u r an engineer.
Edited by Lachdanen on 10/6/2012 4:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
If you're having trouble button space wise, you should by all means get at least an actionbar mod and get access to the hidden bars unless you want to switch to them via paging.
Otherwise, if 120 buttons isn't enough for you, you can always go for one of the mods with independently generated buttons like:
http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/info17592-ButtonForge.html
which will put as many buttons as you want, wherever you want them.

I also highly recommend looking into macros, as I've already mentioned. They can literally half your required button space for you.
Edited by Sedivy on 10/6/2012 7:29 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
10/06/2012 07:28 AMPosted by Sedivy
If you're having trouble button space wise, you should by all means get at least an actionbar mod and get access to the hidden bars unless you want to switch to them via paging.

I do not agree with that. making a better gaming UI is always game developer's responsibility, not some addon authors job. if u cannot play the game without addon that means blizz fail on developing a very basic PLAYABLE environment. addon is only an added bonus not a must have!
Edited by Lachdanen on 10/8/2012 9:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It isn't a must have at all. You have access to all the bars via paging and they provide you with keybinds to switch between bars.
You can also keybind to those bars without showing them at all.
I'm using 2 bars for my spells, and half a side bar for profession/food/pots macros. Actively you watch maybe 20 cds tops. You can display by default up to 60 cds. People who bind more usually do so for macros (but they don't need to watch 120 buttons, just bind the other 60).
So other bars are hidden unless you page to them. If you want to see what you've bound where for the other 60, page to other bars and they're right there.

Just because they chose not to clutter the screen with 120 buttons doesn't mean you can't access them.
Edited by Sedivy on 10/8/2012 3:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]