HUGE Framerate problems after 4.1

MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
04/26/2011 05:24 PMPosted by Sylaria
You know.. I do wonder how something like this made it past QA.

Probably a staffing issue. They only have 2 or 3 people in their Mac programming team. This is for all games Blizzard develops btw.

If that's the size of their mac development team I wouldn't be surprised if their Mac QA team was smaller. Or done in house in the mac dev team.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
i cleared 12 bosses tonight on alt and noticed no fps issues with working mods. only issue was instance server could not be found or transfer aborted errors from an overcrowded server.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
I think the issue with framerate and multisampling has to do with specific video cards. For people who aren't seeing the problem at all is probably not using an ATI video card, even then there might be specific models that is okay and others which are not.

If you are having issues like others here, check your system profiler and post your hardware config, which might help Blizzard narrow down the hardware affected.

Great Idea actually. I might add this to my sticky and email Tony about updating his 4.1 issues sticky.

04/26/2011 07:19 PMPosted by Sylaria
Again, this is *NOT* an addon issue, our tests were done without ANY addons loaded at all. It was also obvious that setting the multisampling down to 1x eliminated at least all of my frame rate issues.

The problem with this is it assumes there is a single cause of the FPS issue. Your only looking at the effects you were getting and the cause you personally found that worked for you.

There are multiple causes that can cause the effect of lowered FPS. For some this is addons. For others it's system updates. For some other it's multisampling.

The effect is the same the cause is different :)

Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
Guys if you're having frame rate issues after a patch the first trouble shooting step you need to take is to log out and drag the Interface and WTF folders to the desktop.

Then log back in and re-test.

This will reset your client to default UI settings. If your still getting lowered frame rates after you do that then it's not addons.

If you are then go to the addons screen and turn the "Load out of date addons" option on. This is turned off at every patch and can cause issues with your addons.

Once in game make sure you have "Display Lua Errors" turned on in Esc -> Interface -> Help.

People like to turn that option thinking it will solve Lua errors when it doesn't. It just hides them.

This matters because if the Lua addon system is logging a ton of errors it can cause slow downs. And what that option turned off your blind to what is actually causing the issue - it's like your UI is bleeding all over the place and you've turned off the only means it has of letting your know.

This is especially true after a patch - Blizzard changes things in the Lua API on every single patch. You need to eliminate addons as being a cause of slow downs before you move on to other means of troubleshooting an FPS drop.

Grab an error reporting addon like Bugsack. Bugsack has error flooding protection mechanisms. IE If it logs too many errors in a set period it will turn off logging any other errors. You can then go through the error messages and seek updates for the addons that are coming up with errors.

Another way of diagnosing which addon is causing the error is the binary search method. IE Disable half your addons at a time until the fps issue disappears. Then using that small sub set of addons do it again and again until you find which addon is causing the issue. This is after you've ascertained if it's due to an addon or not.

Lastly another thing you should check if it is addons and the addon in question has been updated is to go in the WTF folder , find the SavedVariables folders (there are toon specific ones) and wipe any saved variable files for the addon in question. Addons don't have direct control over how their sv files are built up so it's possible a corrupt SV file could be causing the error.

Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
also make sure cache is complete and client isn't in streaming mode from missing cache files. the client still is terribly dumb. If cache index isn't completely built, even if all data is downloaded, the client streams missing cache in, it doesn't copy it from data folder. i have verified and complained about this time and time again. alas, make sure the LAUNCHER builds the cache, it'll actually copy it from data folder unlike wow app which will tank game and network performance downloading the content missing from cache
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Warrior
For me, the only problems arose when I entered combat (lag to the point of unplayable). I disabled recount (somebody above said they tracked recount to be the problem) and my fps is fine in combat now. Hope this helps.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
Probably a staffing issue. They only have 2 or 3 people in their Mac programming team. This is for all games Blizzard develops btw.

If that's the size of their mac development team I wouldn't be surprised if their Mac QA team was smaller. Or done in house in the mac dev team.

Honestly unacceptable. Blizz is not suffering at all from any kind of recession related staffing issues or net profit margins. If its a lack of bodies/applicants, they can call me anytime. Pay me what I make as a Web Developer for my current employer (plus cost of living adjustments for moving to Cali) and I will GLADLY come work for them testing WoW, SC2, and any other games they wan to throw at me.

This is not a garbage collector position that is hard to fill. QA/Testing for a game dev should be one of the easiest roles to fill.

So, not buying that rationale.

Since they had been working on this for quite some time, this patch came off rather poorly in my view. I'm not quitting any time soon as far as I can tell or anything, but the Mac User experience has gotten worse and worse since 4.0 came out in the fall.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Same problem, dropped from a normal 35-40 fps to FOUR. When I first started the game, non addons were working ( I assume they were disabled?), still low frames. Updated them all and they worked, still low frames.

Came on here and I dragged my Interface and WTF folders to the desktop like suggest above and now when I log in, there is no characters to choose from! I only have the option to start a new toon....

Older PC, 2.08 Ghz AMD Athelon, 1GB RAM, ATI X800 GT video card, I think....

Trouble Shooting continues. We should really be reimbursed for the several days it takes to get the game running after EVERY patch and expansion. A free month would make me a happy customer, ya know?

EDIT: Pulled just he interface folder and turned graphics to LOW in game and I got up to 35-40 FPS, like normal. What gives????
Edited by Enoc on 4/27/2011 4:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I was having trouble where I was ok just standing around, but casting caused my game to constantly stutter until I stopped. I was able to narrow it down to X-perl as the cause. Even with updating it to the 4.1 version didn't help it at all. Just thought I'd add that as another potential addon for people to keep and eye on.
Reply Quote
30 Worgen Rogue
Sigh...annoying....now that that is out of the way. I actually played a little yesterday and did not notice this issue. Tonight the same is unplayable. I have zero addons even installed, I have killed the cache, I have deleted WTF, I have checked and rechecked permissions. So this is obviously an issue effecting only some people and not addon related and is really annoying. Reminds me of the dalaran issues when we had to disable the "new" opengl just to move 3 steps.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Just checking back in here, updated my video card drivers. Still can only play with graphics set to LOW. Very sad, game looks like ish.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Rogue
Don't knock Blizzard about their staffing for Mac when the issue really has nothing to do with the type of computer you are using. It's mainly an issue with Addons and the installment of new upgrades to the system such as the new Internet Optimization along with DirectX11 capabilities..

Before sending people on a wild goose chase the best route is to disable all of your addons. Check for driver updates for your graphics cards as well. It also doesn't hurt to read patch notes not just about the gameplay but full content surrounding your system which include Latency and graphics.. Blizzard is in the process of increasing their graphics engine and enhancing the overall gameplay. There is bound to be a few bugs in the system.

So if the following up above do not solve your issue I suggest deleting your cache folder and WTF folder and clean install of any addons that you have or simply drag the folders out onto your desktop until you can narrow down your issue.

And you can't blame Blizzard for staffing 2 to 3 people for Macs.. PCs are still the dominating gaming platforms out there. And I'm not bashing Macs. They have great features for videos, and music. PCs are just more expandable at this point still and hold the highest percentage of consumers all over the world.
Edited by Synthetik on 4/27/2011 9:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
39 Undead Priest
I experienced the same problem as many have said above. For me my FPS was fine in cities/even in combat (at least in SM), but when I zoned into WSG my FPS completely plummeted (even when out of combat). For me, Afflicted and Power Auras were the culprit. I'm not sure what to do though because I rely on those 2 addons so much! Anyone know an up-to-date alternative to Afflicted?
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
04/27/2011 09:37 PMPosted by Synthetik
Don't knock Blizzard about their staffing for Mac when the issue really has nothing to do with the type of computer you are using. It's mainly an issue with Addons and the installment of new upgrades to the system such as the new Internet Optimization along with DirectX11 capabilities.

I can bash them. I'm the customer....so I am paying for their services. If I do not like those services, I have every right to call them out on what I feel any issues are.

04/27/2011 09:37 PMPosted by Synthetik
And you can't blame Blizzard for staffing 2 to 3 people for Macs.. PCs are still the dominating gaming platforms out there. And I'm not bashing Macs. They have great features for videos, and music. PCs are just more expandable at this point still and hold the highest percentage of consumers all over the world.

Yes I can. It does not matter if one person uses a Mac or a billion. They make a product for that platform and take on support of their software on said product. Either support it properly and fully and ensure your software functions reasonably; or dump support for it and simply say "Sorry, not enough financial benefit." Plenty of other game developers have done that and have not gone out of business or hurt their business formula.

Blizz says they support it, they build their products for it. Plain and simple.

And at no point should a Mac end user expect a lesser gameplay experience based on their OS/hardware choice. If I install Win7 on bootcamp and run the game, it will work perfectly fine, and many have reported it functions much much better. Blizz needs to address the Mac user community, or simply cut ties and say "too bad so sad".

But pick a stance please. I do not appreciate a piss poor gaming experience. I would rather begin to spend that $15 a month elsewhere if thats the case.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
Any updates from the devs?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
Here is an update from a player! All the people saying it is add ons- pipe down! It isn't in many cases!

This is what worked for me. Very simple. Shadows need to be turned to the LOW setting. I put my graphics to fair, like they have always been and then drop shadows to low. The game is instantly fixed. So all the Blizzard fan boys can stop knocking add ons!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
Hi Guys,

I just bought a macbook air yesterday, 13 inch, cpu 1.86GHz core2duo with 6MB cache, nvidia 320m (48 processing cores with 256MB of shared ram integrated gpu), 2 GB of 1066 DDR3 ram, 128 SSD. I know its not awesome but base on all the reviews i read it is suppose to do some acceptable WoW at med to low settings. Fresh installed WoW on it and been getting 5 fps on default resolution, default settings . Taking everything down to low puts me at about 20 fps. i have done all that has been advised by the blue poster but still the same low fps. Deleting the cache, moving the WTF and Interphase folders to desktop and all the other stuff with permission granting and what not. Nothing seems to work to improve WoW game play. This is a brand new copy of WoW, freshly downloaded with the WoW launcher, i have also not downloaded or installed any add-on of any kind at all, and all this on a brand new mac. Yes i also have multisampling at 1. Any other possible solutions? Thanks for the help.
Edited by Jaggy on 4/28/2011 3:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
Here is an update from a player! All the people saying it is add ons- pipe down! It isn't in many cases!

Like I've kept saying since the patch come out.

There are many varied causes for FPS issues. For some people it's addons. For others it's lowering graphical settings. For others it's some other thing that works for them. There isn't one single cause for FPS issues.

Blizzard changes the Lua API at every patch and many people turn off Lua errors. There are also settings in the WTF folder that could be causing issues.

This is why your first step in diagnosing FPS issues should always be to remove the Interface & WTF folders to reset the game back to a default setting.

But like i said above it's not the only cause. So that step is only to eliminate it being due to a setting in the WTF folder or addons. If that doesn't solve things then it's on to try other things.

Reply Quote
30 Worgen Rogue
Update: All of my issues are gone this morning so something must have been updated server side and/or client last night. I have all my original addons in place and my original backed up WTF folder so no issues were in there after all. I had 4 friends with the same issue and have verified they are also good.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
After 4.1 I had a framerate that fluctuated between 10 fps and 30 fps with lower settings than I'd previously had. And when I say fluctuated, I mean literally - you could have graphed my framerate and it would have looked like a sine wave. Anyway following the steps here:

Permissions had no effect, but deleting the cache (and rebuilding it via the launcher) solved all of my framerate issues.

For those who don't know, when the game says "applying non-critical updates. This may take a while" you want to just let it do that. It's the launcher rebuilding your cache. Seems like some of the old data in there was tanking my system. Now I'm back to a full 30 fps, with no change in combat, and even higher settings than before!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]