HUGE Framerate problems after 4.1

100 Human Paladin
I've noticed that Carbonite can really drag performance down. If you're attached to the addon (like I am), one useful tip is to uncheck the "auto-scale map" function on the minimap toolbar. Makes a noticeable difference.

Tech Specs:
MBP 13" 2010 with Nvdia 320m integrated vcard.

Graphics Settings:
Windowed (1280x800 wide)
1x MS
Vsync OFF

Texture Resolution: High
Texture Filtering: 2x Anisotropic
Projected Textures: Enabled

View Distance: Good
Environment Detail: Good
Ground Clutter: Fair

Shadow Quality: Low
Liquid Detail: Low
Sunshafts: Disabled
Particle Density: Good

Addons Running:

Atlas
Atlasloot
Auctionator
Bartender
Carbonite
DBM suite
MagicRunes (for DK only)
Omen
Recount

Performance: 50-60fps (have max fps capped at 60) in most areas, 20-30 in cities, 30-40 in heavily cluttered areas (forests, etc.), 40-50 in PVE combat, 20-30 PVP combat.

If you're playing on a MBP try these settings; see how they do for you.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I just updated my macbook pro through software updates and my FPS went from 60 to 6 and the game is unplayable. I deleted my interface, cache, and WTF folders and STILL get 6fps. I also ran the repair, there were no issues. Still have horrid FPS. What the hell is going on here, can I backdate my software update? It seems to be a problem with whatever update I downloaded from Apple that messed up my fps.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
did you follow the tips about sunshafts?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
MacBook Air
4g ram
320m gfx

Nothing special but with no add ons, lowest settings, prior to 4.1 getting 50+ FPS

Just downloaded 4.1 today, resubbed ready to play....19fps average, can't really play like this =~(

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I was running Wow just fine, even after 4.1. My wifes account was having some issues being stuck in first person mode. After several hours with a gm, trying about everything you can think of to fix the problem, he said i needed to run a repair module to see if there is a problem with the game. So i ran it and still didn't fix her problem, however my account on the same computer worked just fine. So being as frustrated as i was i deleted my entire Warcraft folder, and consequently spent most of the day re-downloading wow. Now her account is STILL stuck in first person view, and my account will not get above 5 fps, where i used to get at least 60. So brand new Wow, no add-ons= More problems? Honestly, I have been messing with technical difficulties since vanilla, it's starting to get old to say the least. I realize that is the nature of the game, but when nobody seems to have the answers to what i would think is a simple, common issue, it makes me really just want to not strain my brain and stop playing. If anyone has a tip or suggestion I would love to hear it. Thanks for reading :)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Seriously, anyone looking into dis?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
05/11/2011 08:03 AMPosted by TonyM
Sunshafts is a FPS tanker on some machines. Try what Splertiki tried and disable that to see if it helps.

So how come this is an issue post-4.1 but it wasn't an issue pre-4.1? I finally found this post and gave it a shot, and that was the issue. So what we're left with is:

Multisampling doesn't work if Liquid Detail is Good or higher.
Multisampling and Sunshafts hose your system when used together, but either one separately is okay.

I bought the high-end iMac a few months ago— the second time I've bought a new computer specifically for playing WoW— and it's annoying to be playing with these limitations.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue
05/12/2011 11:48 AMPosted by Omegal
honestly i think tony should advocate for the removal of "show lua errors" having an option at all to be turned off. load out of date, has its uses when used properly, as long as errors are never turned off, yu can trouble shoot/use "out of date" mods that weren't broken by patch. but errors under any cercomstance should never be turned off, allowing user to do that is what causes 90% of these threads. Addons are broken and you don't know it cause you turned the errors off. that's like taking the bulb out of your check engine light cause the light bothers you. that doesn't fix your engine.

I'm tempted to turn off Show lua errors because I'm sick of Blizzard's raid UI code throwing errors every time I join a raid.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
05/19/2011 01:10 PMPosted by Azreluna
honestly i think tony should advocate for the removal of "show lua errors" having an option at all to be turned off. load out of date, has its uses when used properly, as long as errors are never turned off, yu can trouble shoot/use "out of date" mods that weren't broken by patch. but errors under any cercomstance should never be turned off, allowing user to do that is what causes 90% of these threads. Addons are broken and you don't know it cause you turned the errors off. that's like taking the bulb out of your check engine light cause the light bothers you. that doesn't fix your engine.

I'm tempted to turn off Show lua errors because I'm sick of Blizzard's raid UI code throwing errors every time I join a raid.

then fix the mod causing the error. also consider installing !buggrabber and !bugsack together to have a much better user experience from error reports.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Rogue

then fix the mod causing the error. also consider installing !buggrabber and !bugsack together to have a much better user experience from error reports.

It's not a mod. It's part of the Blizzard code. I can't fix Blizzard code.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Rogue
Yeah, I've been having major fps problems since 4.1 as well. I'm on an 8800GT/12 gig ram/3.2GHz quad core Mac Pro and I'm capped around 19 fps at almost the bare bones settings (Fair).

Changing Multisampling from 1x to 4x brought me up to a playable 29fps, but still unacceptable considering my system and the video settings.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
Ok so this time if a blue responds we can tell if they are reading our responses because...

The majority of people:

1. Don't use addons, dont tell us to disable them/update them
2. Have cleared WTF and Cache folders.
3. Are already playing on LOWEST settings.
4. Far outclass even the MINIMUM recommeneded settings.

Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
K, I will be reading these threads to find out some other things or what I can find out. It's hard for me to reproduce FPS issues since between the Macs I have here at work (2) and the 3 I have at home, I haven't been able to see the low FPS (except when camera stutter occurs, like mentioned in the Camera Stutter thread, but thats different from constant low FPS). Please give me some time to look at this and research it. I may have to hit up S4d1K for any additional feedback.
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Tu-Sat 8:45 am - 5 pm CST
If you can't find it here, contact a rep direct :http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. Haala at your sheep!
Why did the Shadow Priest's account expire? Too lazy to drop Shadowform to Renew.
Bah-ah-ah-ah-rains!!!
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
If you have a PC(the one with Windows), please go to the PC technical support forum.

We know that some addons kill the performance in 4.1, please try without your addons.
There seems to be a problem with multisampling and ATI video cards in 10.6.7, if you have an ATI/AMD video card, try to set the multisampling to 1x.

If after this you still have big FPS issues, please post:
Your video card, OS version, system RAM amount, external display?
What graphic settings you use.
The worst areas
Do you also have FPS issues when you're standing still?
Did you try turning off Vertical Sync?

Now, if you feel very helpful today, please try to install the PTR and see if there's a difference. Please post any feedback about the PTR in this forum. Be aware that the PTR is still in an early stage and some unrelated problems(like server disconnect) might occur.
Edited by S4d1k on 5/20/2011 10:44 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Ok here are somethings to check for to see what may be causing low FPS. I do have to eliminate these as possibilities.

This is ensuring that you've already done the following:
    -Deleted/Moved your WTF, Cache and Interface folder outside of the WoW folder.
    -Lowered your Shadows/Liquids/View Distance to Low.
    -Disabled Sunshafts
    -Multisampling is set to 1x

Additional things to try:
    -Make sure your add-ons are uninstalled (I have to make sure, as I stated before disabling add-ons is not the same as removing them)

-Ran a repair from the Repair Tool inside the WoW folder.

-Try Capping your FPS in game to see if's a heating issue.
      /console maxfps X
      X can equal any number. I would say 30 for the first test and then 45. I would limit the test to 60. Nothing over 60 is really recommended, specially for portables. This keeps your GPU from overheating and provides smoother framerate in most cases.

-Do a SMC reset to ensure voltage is proper to the GPU.

-Ensure you OS X is up to date by running Software Updates.
      We recently changed the requirements, for our games, ensuring that the most recent OS version (like 10.5.8/10.6.7) is the required version.

-After your OS X is up to date, try running Repair permissions and Repair Disk for general maintenance:

Please use the steps below to repair file permission settings on the hard drive.
      1. Navigate to /Applications/Utilities/ and open Disk Utility
      2. Select the hard drive the game is installed on
      3. Select the First Aid option
      4. Click on the Repair Disk Permissions button

Repair Directory Procedure:
      1. Start from your Mac OS X Install disc: Insert the installation disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.
      2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)
      Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.
      3. Click the First Aid tab.
      4. Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.
      5. Select your Mac OS X volume.
      6. Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.
      **Always start up your computer from an Install or Restore disc when using Disk Utility to verify or repair your startup volume. Otherwise, you might see some disk error messages.**

-Disabled Time Machine

-Run Activity Monitor (Applications/Utilities) and make sure nothing else is running with WoW open (no chat apps, or games like Chess, etc).

-Make sure you have 10GB of free HDD space. This helps your Mac run smoother overall.

-If you don't have 4GB of RAM, try upgrading. This is in our recommended specs. The game evolves, so this is optimal for better performance.

Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment || Tu-Sat 8:45 am - 5 pm CST
If you can't find it here, contact a rep direct :http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. Haala at your sheep!
Why did the Shadow Priest's account expire? Too lazy to drop Shadowform to Renew.
Bah-ah-ah-ah-rains!!!
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
ah i always forget to mention time machine that's a big one for the performanec issues.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Thanks for that summary list of debugging/correction steps. For the second time in two weeks (the other time not related to wow) a support person's suggestion that sounded an unlikely fix to me actually worked! We tend to discount these measures but they really help delineate separate issues that may have similar symptoms.

In my case, resetting the SMC (and PRAM, but the SMC did it) worked for me. I went from 8 fps to maxed at my limit of 45, and the game is playable again. As a newbie Mac user I was unaware of this "function" so reading some about it on the Mac site was very helpful. Thanks for the list and that link.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
05/19/2011 01:10 PMPosted by Azreluna

*shrug* It's not throwing errors for me in a raid.

Try this :

Go in your Data folder -> enUS and wipe backup-enus.mpq
Next start up the Repair and do a repair.
Then Wipe the Blizzard folders in the Interface folder
Then open from the Launcher.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Sorry, but how do I disable addons?
Reply Quote
74 Blood Elf Priest
I have attempted all the suggestions on this forum and I am still experiencing the issue. If I lower ALL the settings to the lowest and turn off sunshutter I can get up to about max 20FPS but I went from 60FPS on the "good" setting to 5FPS since the patch. Can the mods please get some answers from developers?
Edited by Danuvue on 5/29/2011 5:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]