Escape key doesn't work

85 Gnome Warrior
Hello,
I've tried two different keyboards on my Mac Pro since 4.1 and with neither of them can I use ESC within WoW. It works outside of WoW, but not inside WoW. Not just in the toggle menu sense (that bind is set) but if I try to bind esc to something else, it doesn't sense the keypress, and if I am just at the deathwing screen (login screen) it still does nothing.

Any ideas? This is just since 4.1 as far as I can tell. it is driving me crazy.

Thanks.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Confirmed the key is working and showing up via controllermate.. WoW just can't see it. Very weird. Anyone else seeing this?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
my esc key doesn't work as well. But then again, half my key binds don't work. So Im not really surprised.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
93 Draenei Mage
Your key bindings are in the WTF folder in the bindings-cache.wtf files.

There is an account specific file as well as one for each toon of yours.

So OP what you could do is open that file and make sure escape is bound and try to put it in manually.

EG adding

bind ESCAPE TOGGLEGAMEMENU

Will bind escape to bringing up the game menu. Which function are you wanting to bind escape too ?

@Reikou Make sure permissions for all groups on the WTF are set to read & write. Also make sure you apply it to enclosed items using the cogwheel.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
I have already tried that, escape is already bound to what its supposed to be, it just doesn't register in WoW. It doesn't even work on the login screen.

This is the most infuriating bug ever, I have to click everything and my brain still tells me to hit escape. agh.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
93 Draenei Mage
Maybe it doesn't have the permissions to that file.

Have you tried adding another key binding in to see if that sticks ?

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Yes, I can bind it to something else. Let me give you a concrete example of what happens:

I open WoW, and am at the login screen.

I hit esc, nothing happens. Expected behavior (up until 4.1) is for WoW to close

I login to WoW and go into my keybindings menu with all addons disabled. I click on toggle autorun's bind, and press spacebar. autorun is now bound to spacebar and jump is no longer. I click the bind assigned to space bar and hit esc. Nothing happens. It is not detecting I am pressing esc.

The same is true if I re-enable bartender and use its /kb command to attempt to bind a key. Other keys work, just not esc.

Pressing esc in the operating system works exactly as expected. Changes to keybinds do persist through WoW sessions, so it is not a permissions issue.

Any other ideas? Also, remember, this worked fine a few days ago before the patch hit.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
93 Draenei Mage
That's really odd.

What's your hardware specs including your keyboard and mouse. I am unable to reproduce this.

I assign ESC to the friends frame. Esc no longer exits the frame. I click the game menu away manually and press ESC. Friends frame. I changed it back to menu . Press Escape and it works.

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Edited by Bluspacecow on 4/29/2011 11:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
OS X 10.6.7, Mac Pro 2008 8 core, 16GB RAM, 5870 GPU. Keyboard is a Mattias Tactile Pro but it happens on others as well. Worked in 4.0.x
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Ok so, after rebooting several times, I rebooted again for the font update, and this time, when it came back up, the escape key worked in WoW. There was a launcher update but I can't imagine that had anything to do with it. I'm like 1000% happier now though! VICTORY.
Edited by Gnolie on 5/2/2011 4:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
75 Human Warrior
I had the escape key problem, but it was my own fault. When I was trying to bind some keys I accidentally pressed ESC at the wrong time, and I knew what I had done as soon as I tried using ESC the next time. If this is you too, you can access the interface menu from the bottom right action bar with the computer symbol. I saw where I set the wrong key to ESC but I couldn't get it right so I had to reset everything to the default (╯°□°)╯ ┻━┻

I want to add that I tried going to the .wtf file as Bluspacecow mentioned but it didn't work for me. (I have a mac if that makes any difference.)
Reply Quote
20 Night Elf Druid
My escape key is not working either, I tried resetting and it still wont show up, considering reinstalling the game.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
06/12/2012 12:41 PMPosted by Jaguire
My escape key is not working either, I tried resetting and it still wont show up, considering reinstalling the game.

When you reset your keybinds in game, it does not effect the status of the esc key?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I am actually still having this issue, and I have tried some solutions mentioned above. My ESC key is indeed bound to the game menu. I know two other people as well who have this issue. It also seems to be an off and on issue. Sometimes a restart of the game client will fix it and other times it will not. Is there any confirmed add-on that causes this issue or could it be something else?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Don't know for sure, as from all our test, it works fine.

The only way to test this out for sure is to try it with no add-ons on.

Reset the temp files
    1. Navigate to /Applications/World of Warcraft/
    2. Delete the Cache folder.
    3. Move Interface and WTF to the Desktop.
    4. Launch WoW.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Now, I don't know if this is your problem, but it's csomething that happens to me from time to time, and I have at times forgotten the cause. If I'm running Photoshop, WoW will absolutely not see my escape key (which is a real pain). So, you may have other software that somehow captures escape key events and doesn't let WoW see them.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
09/09/2012 01:53 PMPosted by Xormond
Now, I don't know if this is your problem, but it's csomething that happens to me from time to time, and I have at times forgotten the cause. If I'm running Photoshop, WoW will absolutely not see my escape key (which is a real pain). So, you may have other software that somehow captures escape key events and doesn't let WoW see them.

Thanks! I know this thread is kind of old, but Photoshop was the cause for my escape key not working!
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
What version of photoshop are you using? Also, was the game in fullscreen mode when this happened?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Same here just throwing some input in here and see what that bug is present... I am personally using Photoshop CS2.

I know the post is old but its still present and wonder if its os independant as its affecting me in Windows 7 x64.

Edit: I am quite aware this post is old but we still have the bug with at least photoshop running. I might open a separate thread later if it doesnt already exist.
Edited by Ölana on 11/21/2012 12:49 AM PST
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
I'll bring this up to our Mac team, but this may be something that Adobe may need to work on.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]