Escape key doesn't work

90 Draenei Shaman
I'll bring this up to our Mac team, but this may be something that Adobe may need to work on.

I would take a note that its not just Mac but affecting windows as well.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Hunter
You should also double-check what bindings you have set in MacOS System Preferences. The Keyboard Shortcuts in the Keyboard panel is where you assign some system-wide keybindings.

While I don't think it will affect the Esc key, you'll also want to make sure that the Universal Access settings are not conflicting with WoW. For example, "Press the Shift key five times to turn Sticky Keys on or off" can cause some really confusing behavior if you don't know what is happening.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I just ran into this on Windows 7 with Photoshop CS4 .
(I know, it's and old version but PS is pricey.)
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Hey guys.
Wanted to thank everyone for this thread its helped me and saved me from irritation.
I have an HP Pavilion dv7 running windows 7.
The escape key wasn't working for me as well.
Thanks to your thread I was able to see that having Adobe CS3 open was causing the problem.
Just wanted to let you know that the issue is not limited to Macs.

Thanks again!
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can y'all post your OS versions, so we can see what OS X versions this is happening in?

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the 'Option' Key and choose System Profiler/Information from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I am also having this issue.

My ESCAPE key will bind to other actions but not to toggle the Main Menu. I have reassigned it in the Key Bindings Interface several times. I can assign NO OTHER key to the Main Menu either.

I do not have Photoshop installed as some have.

I am running an iMac with OC 10.8.2 2.66 GHZ Intel Core 2 Duo processor w/ 4 GB RAM
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Have you tried to reset your keybinds all together and see if it works?

We're investigating the photoshop reports with various PC and Mac and see if the escape key event is being tapped by PS and not WoW when running. Thanks for the reports.
Reply Quote
I'm running Windows 7 and had Photoshop Elements 9 open and had the ESC key problem.
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Shaman
I don't see this happening with my installation of Photoshop CS3.

Do you guys have 3rd party Photoshop plug-ins installed?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
^^ This.

We need to know this information to better look into this issue.
Edited by Machkhan on 2/20/2013 10:39 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hello - and I apologize for the bump but Google brought me here.

I too was having trouble with the ESC key and when I closed Photoshop CS3, it began to work again. I am running on Windows 8 64 Bit, though I couldn't tell you much else about my specs.

At any rate, I wanted to thank the person who mentioned closing Photoshop. I feel like you saved my life because this computer isn't even two months old. :)
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Hunter
try closing photoshop or any other programs that are running besides wow
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
I also had this problem. After reading this thread, I noticed I was running Photoshop Elements 8.0 on Win7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1. I closed Elements and restarted WoW, and the Escape key works in WoW as expected now.
Reply Quote
**Assign the ESC key to "Toggle Game Menu" under the "Interface Panel Functions" section in Key Bindings, if you are here because of a Key Bindings mishap.
Edited by Quaestorial on 6/11/2013 8:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I confirm that Photoshop being open in the background can cause this ESC key problem.
Reply Quote
Confirmed, this was my problem as well. Esc immediately began working once I closed PS
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I just had the same problem, and it was driving me crazy! Thanks Xormond! I'm using CS3 with WoW in windowed full-screen, and yes, this is still a problem as of today! Seems hard to blame it on Adobe when the ESC key works in all other cases and WoW is the only place it doesn't work, but you never know. Note to anyone else having this issue: after closing Photoshop, I had to restart the game in order for the key to start working again.
Edited by Fiddlewidget on 3/31/2014 1:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
my esc wont work as well, so I cant go to interface and fix things for other stuff.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
i am having the issue i might have accidently bound my escape key to something else or maybe my menu key to something else and now i can not bring up the menu. is there a way i can get the menu to pull up
?
Reply Quote
92 Tauren Paladin
I am having the same issue using photoshop CS2, but on a PC running windows 7, not a mac
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]