That it?

Community Manager
I think the thing to probably take away from this is that content is not infinite, and so we have to look at everyone who plays the game and try to be smart about where we focus this finite pool of development resources we have.

As someone else very astutely mentioned earlier, Sunwell had 6 bosses, and I remember people being outraged that they were gated to unlock over time to stretch out that content. Firelands has 7 bosses and they aren't gated. We hope people enjoy them as much, and will be able to look back as fondly on it as they do on Sunwell.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warrior
04/28/2011 04:42 PMPosted by Bombmagic
Come on people. You know all their talent is focused on the next MMO.

Its not the "next" MMO. Its a new game that coexists with the others. Its like how Starcraft and WoW coexist. They said so in an interview during Wotlk. Whether they changed their mind on that though, who knows.

Titan is their next IP. Thus, their next MMO. I don't see a problem with the wording.

Interview with Blizzard COO Paul Sams:
"The thing that we hope will happen is that it will not stop World of Warcraft but we believe will eclipse it."

Wow isn't going anywhere, but their A team is on Titan and WOW content will be further and further apart.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock

p.s. more non progression raids plz.

there are plenty of them. feel free to venture to northrend, outland or wait a few months for BoT, BD and TotFW to cease being progression.
Reply Quote
19 Night Elf Rogue
04/28/2011 03:20 PMPosted by Zhebrica
they're still obviously going to be extremely challenging

I hope you know I'm holding you to this.

<3 the increased difficulty as compared to wrath

I think they proved their point with T11 content, I'd expect firelands to be no different
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Well, Sunwell was an ending to an expansion. Firelands i don't think can be as epic as Sunwell, I think the 7 bosses thing will work if we get another content patch in the next 4 to 5 months. If you guys keep it the same length between content patches it gonna get real...bad i guess you can say, heroics to count. I really don't think heroics justify a content patch, giving us 2 heroics that we can do every day for another couple months isn't gonna make us happy. I think every single person would have traded ZA and ZG for Firelands faster. This is just my opinion, doesn't mean anything.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
The problem in general is that besides Sunwell, you had a heck of a lot of more content.

Say you have 7 bosses, and all are ridiculously hard. No one kills anything, people get frustrated, leave. All are ridiculously easy, people kill everything, get bored, leave. People hit a difficult brick wall only a few bosses in, get frustrated, leave.

You understand that to keep a community interested with as few an amount of bosses as this, it's even monumentally harder to do then if you had 7 really hard bosses and like 6 "fluff" ones?

The key for developing this type of content is giving people enough progress to feel like they're actually progressing, while also running into brick walls.
Edited by Meia on 4/28/2011 5:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I really hope the "more to come" means another raid? Like they said before they wanted more than one raid per tier.
Reply Quote
56 Human Death Knight
04/28/2011 05:04 PMPosted by Catlitter
Wow isn't going anywhere, but their A team is on Titan and WOW content will be further and further apart.

Repeating stupid rumours doesn't make them any less stupid.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock
The problem in general is that besides Sunwell, you had a heck of a lot of more content.

yep. i'd venture to say most guilds actually progressing in Sunwell were still doing a BT and maybe MH clear still every week. i'm sure that decreased as they got further into Sunwell... but thats still a bunch of content that was still relevant to many players.

i guess we can still clear BoT, BD and Throne every week too. hope the iLevel doesn't scale up too much then.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
This is honestly a really bad idea. Having only 7 bosses in order to "lower the commitment to raiding each week" is not the best idea as some people will eventually kill all 7 and have it on farm and may be able to do it in one day,but one day a week will bore people as a result.

That's just my 2 cents
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
I find it somewhat interesting that people are perceiving a seven-boss tier as somehow being a slight to the hardcore raiding community. I distinctly remember that, after the progression race was over, one of the largest complaints from the top guilds was just how brutal they found Cataclysm progression. A lot of superb guilds were destroyed by it. So it seems to me that making the tier a bit shorter, while making sure that the encounters are each as interesting and, on hard modes at least, challenging as possible is doing the hardcore raiders a favor.
Edited by Weebey on 4/28/2011 5:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
How could you possibly release the NEXT tier, when almost no one downs Nefarian as it is?
And The throne of four winds is so complicated, that no one does it?
Ya we will get 359 gear through JP, but that just means you have geared noobs.
I would wait a month in a half for people to just start getting through ZG and ZA without difficulty.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
I find it somewhat interesting that people are perceiving a seven-boss tier as somehow being a slight to the hardcore raiding community. I distinctly remember that, after the progression race was over, one of the largest complaints from the top guilds was just how brutal they found Cataclysm progression. A lot of superb guilds were destroyed by it. So it seems to me that making the tier a bit shorter, while making sure that the encounters are each as interesting and, on hard modes at least, challenging as possible is doing the hardcore raiders a favor.

It was only 'brutal' because they raid non-stop until the race is over, seven days a week, for as many hours as possible. These guilds are a statistical anomaly even within the raiding community, and should not be, and are not (other than acting as beta testers for the encounters, heh) designed around. They will raid at that pace regardless of how long or short a tier is, until it is cleared, always.

That has nothing to do with the average raiding base that raids between 2-4 nights a week for 3-4 hours a night, and is not concerned with world firsts. However, how many one night/week raiding guilds do you see? Do you really believe the sparsity of them is (even partly) because they worry they cannot keep up with progression at such a low rate, thus force themselves to raid more than they 'want' to? No. And to those few who do feel that way, there -are- the rare single night a week guilds to join now. And as stated, the previous 'short' tiers were helped by the fact that raiding old content was not nearly as useless as it has been post 3.2 with gear resets every tier.
Edited by Ophidon on 4/28/2011 5:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Troll Priest
The content as it is now is great. There's a lot of uber hard fights, a lot of hard fights, a lot of medium fights, and some easy ones.

How do you HAVE that cross section with 7 bosses? 1 uber hard, 2 hard, 3 medium, 1 easy?
Reply Quote
100 Human Warlock

again, zg/aq20/za/ubrs all non progression raids. just do more of that. just stuff for people to run thats still current but not end game. blizzard used to be good at putting out raids like that. do it again.

well, ZA was pretty much progression for lots of people when it came out... so i'll pretend you didn't even say that one.

the rest occurred in vanilla. almost 6 years ago. i wouldn't hold your breath.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]