Shaman BOA gear.

84 Blood Elf Paladin
Hi,
I've just started a new Orc Shaman. I have the whole cloth BOA set including Tattered Dreadmist Robe/MAntle, also, Dignified Headmasters Charge. What im wondering is if its a big deal that i dont have the mail gear. Im hoping i can get some other opinions on this topic.
ty.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
No it does not matter. Its only purpose is to provide you with the exp bonus.
Just don't go tanking in it. I hate that.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
attributable stats while playing enhancement and full mail bonus are lost
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
It's not an issue until you hit lvl 50 when you get the armor bonus. Even then it's not an issue if you're elem because you will have tons of cloth anyways until you hit cata. Mail gear itemization stinks for elem. I have a leveling elem sham and using the cloth gear.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Vex
It really isn't much of an issue. The only thing you'll be losing out on as compared to the mail equivalent, would be the damage reduction from armor, and the 5% stat bonus past level 50. Depends on how much you want/need those additional benefits, i suppose. *shrug*
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
It wouldn't even begin to matter until level 70 or so. If you go enhancement you'll probably want the mail, but if you're ele/restro stuff shouldn't be hitting you anyway. Cloth is pretty bad, but if you really can't afford it just do it for the exp.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I'm pretty sure at 50+ its only 5% to the primary stat of each class
Reply Quote
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=86529

at level 50+ is when the armor & stats of mail will override the 10% XP benefit. getting an extra 10% XP isnt worth losing out on 5% of overall stats, so get the mail shaman boa gear ASAP so you can have it both ways. 5% stats for mail spec, AND 10% XP bonus.

20% XP is far better than +5% to one stat.

Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
04/20/2011 12:14 PMPosted by Solaru
20% XP is far better than +5% to one stat.

Easily

The cloth BOA gear is more than fine if you're leveling Resto or Ele. Won't do you a lot of good as enhance, but the +XP is worth it if you're mainly just trying to fast-level him.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
http://www.wowhead.com/spell=86529

at level 50+ is when the armor & stats of mail will override the 10% XP benefit. getting an extra 10% XP isnt worth losing out on 5% of overall stats, so get the mail shaman boa gear ASAP so you can have it both ways. 5% stats for mail spec, AND 10% XP bonus.

And the fact that mail gear stats are horrible for elem shams until about cata. so you'll have the cloth gear for the better dps.
Reply Quote
04/20/2011 12:23 PMPosted by Hamburglerer
They have mail BoAs you know...

Maybe you should read the OP a bit better. He is wondering if it is ok to just use the cloth ones or if he needs to grind out the mail ones.l
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
04/20/2011 12:23 PMPosted by Hamburglerer

Which shamans don't really need to use if they have the cloth heirlooms.

The benefit of the much quicker leveling outweighs the 5% bonus to a stat.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Vex
04/20/2011 12:30 PMPosted by Fangloria

The point they're making is that if you have you'll level even MORE quicker with the mail BoAs, because mail BoAs give both the 5% bonus plus the 20% exp bonus. They are, after all, BoAs too >.>

tl;dr: Buy the mail BoAs if you have the JP/time to farm them, to spare. Its really time saved + added ease while leveling vs not needing to farm for JP in heroics on your main.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
04/20/2011 12:34 PMPosted by Kaletha

The point they're making is that if you have you'll level even MORE quicker with the mail BoAs, because mail BoAs give both the 5% bonus plus the 20% exp bonus. They are, after all, BoAs too >.>

tl;dr: Buy the mail BoAs if you have the JP/time to farm them, to spare. Its really time saved + added ease while leveling vs not needing to farm for JP in heroics on your main.

But you won't if you level elem because all the mail off pieces are made for resto and you would be seriously gimping your dps.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Vex
[/quote]
But you won't if you level elem because all the mail off pieces are made for resto and you would be seriously gimping your dps.[/quote]

I just yanked off a random piece off wowpedia: * Mystical Pauldrons of Elements
* Binds to account
* Mail
* Shoulder
* 1156 Armor
* +76 Stamina
* +51 Intellect
* Requires Level 1 to 80
* Equip: Experience gained is increased by 10%.
* Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by 51.

Crit rating is only usable by resto how? Heck, even SPIRIT is usable(and highly treasured if you're below hit cap) by Elemental. Even if this wasn't the case, the odd 20ish stat isn't gonna "seriously gimp your dps" while leveling.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
04/20/2011 12:41 PMPosted by Kaletha

But you won't if you level elem because all the mail off pieces are made for resto and you would be seriously gimping your dps.[/quote]

I just yanked off a random piece off wowpedia: * Mystical Pauldrons of Elements
* Binds to account
* Mail
* Shoulder
* 1156 Armor
* +76 Stamina
* +51 Intellect
* Requires Level 1 to 80
* Equip: Experience gained is increased by 10%.
* Equip: Increases your critical strike rating by 51.

Crit rating is only usable by resto how? Heck, even SPIRIT is usable(and highly treasured if you're below hit cap) by Elemental. Even if this wasn't the case, the odd 20ish stat isn't gonna "seriously gimp your dps" while leveling.[/quote]
Notice I said off pieces, not the boa's themselves. At lower levels hit isn't that important because it takes so little to hit cap at lower levels. Adding spirit onto that is a gross overuse of hit. As an 85 I would think you would understand the concept of too much hit.
Edited by Inkubus on 4/20/2011 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
04/20/2011 12:34 PMPosted by Kaletha

I'd argue the time spent farming the mail heirlooms would be greater than the time saved by having the extra 5% to stats. You might save a few seconds here and there, but if you are grinding up in dungeons everything dies so quickly that the difference would be negligible. If you are grinding up with solo questing, i would think that the difference between 2 shotting a mob and hitting a mob twice and letting them kill themselves by hitting your lightning shield once would be pretty negligible as well.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]