Remote Guild Chat Feedback and Bugs

Community Manager
As you might have seen ( http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2653949#blog ), we recently rolled out an update to our Android, iPhone and iPod touch apps that adds the ability to chat with your guild mates directly from your mobile device. We wanted to make sure we have a consolidated place where you can report bugs and offer us feedback on the features after trying Remote Guild Chat during the free preview period.

If you have the app and have been able to try guild chat on the currently supported realms, let us know what you think: Have you run into any issues? Any bugs you’ve been able to reproduce? What about the feature itself -- how do you like it? Any thoughts on how we can make it better?
Edited by Bashiok on 4/26/2011 1:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm extremely psyched for this feature to hit Android phones because that means that one could run the application with the Android SDK's Emulator tool.

http://developer.android.com/guide/developing/devices/emulator.html

Since this is an official Android emulator released by the company, I imagine that Blizzard has no problems with people running the SDK on their computer, logging into their Android accounts on the emulator, and then running Remote Guild Chat, correct?

You can basically then use the emulator plus this app as a way to keep in contact with your guild instant-messaging style without having to log on to WoW. I finally won't have to idle in Orgrimmar 5 hours a day waiting for my friends to log on; I can just look at my second monitor's desktop where I can have guild chat running in the corner 24/7 using up probably 1/10 of the resources that WoW would use. When my friends log on, I can then immediately follow and we can PvP together or level or do heroics or whatever.

As for the topic itself, a cool feature would be a better way of doing this without the SDK Emulator from Android. Perhaps you could have a web version of Remote Guild Chat just like you have a web version of the Mobile Auction House?
Edited by Simcá on 4/20/2011 3:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
Glad to hear that you're supporting us android users... any word on us getting the armory too sometime soon?
Reply Quote
1 Orc Rogue
Haven't tried it yet, just waiting for the Android update. Thank you very very much for the update on the Android Armory!!!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Hunter
Updating our remote Ah, great. About time.

Why the glaring lack of any word, at all, for those of us who use Android and want a mobile armory app? You know, the one we were promised when you released the Iphone version. We now outnumber Iphone users, it can't be that hard to port the armory over to android considering multiple developers have both Iphone and Android versions of their apps. They usually have both versions out within a few days of each other to boot.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
I tested out the remote guild chat yesterday on Lightbringer, while I was logged in game too. I was logged into my main (<---this toon) and also using my main to post from the remote guild chat. The second I posted something to remote guild chat, it automatically demoted me in guild. I am an officer in my guild (Rank 3), so now I'm just a member (Rank 5).

Possibly, from what I can deduce, is that since the remote gchat app does not require an authenticator to log in, our guild rank settings prevent people without authenticators to be in a raider or officer rank. My guild master has it set to not allow any promotion higher than member, since this became a feature prior to the Cata xpac.

Not sure if this is "as intended" but definitely an inconvenience to anyone who gets demoted, and then has to have the GM re-promote them. Basically, I can't use the remote gchat as an officer. It could also conflict with any DKP or EPGP loot systems, as well.
Reply Quote
Yes, I'd like an Android Armory App.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Still why only phones are blessed with the ability to be used remotely.
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Druid
Feature isn't available yet on my realm, but I wanted to point out one concern about the app: it's rating on the app store. I checked to see what it's average user rating was, and while still generally good, there were quite a few 1 and 2 star ratings from users who clearly didn't understand how the trial worked and didn't read. One guy writes something to the effect of "I pay 3 dollars a month subscription and the feature isn't even available on my realm?!?!" (To be clear, this guy fails because a) Blizzard said they're expanding the list of realms, and b) it's a FREE trial; the subscription doesn't apply to this feature yet.) I think that one was the epitome of fail reviews, but there are a few morons out there rating the app with a low grade because they didn't bother reading the entire announcement.

On a related note, the Authenticator app has a few poor reviews because people are asking for retina display compatibility. Boggles my mind why you'd think that makes the app a 1 out of 5, but Blizzard would do well to increase the resolution on that one. It's not like there's too much art in it to begin with.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
We ran into a bug with the Remote Guild Chat feature earlier today which resulted in a few people being demoted within their guild. We’ve already applied a temporary fix to prevent this issue from affecting anyone else, and we have a full hotfix scheduled to go in the game around mid-day tomorrow. In short, the bug affected players whose guild rank required an Authenticator. When logging into Remote Guild Chat, the game assumed the player had logged in without an Authenticator, so that player was mistakenly demoted due to the security mechanisms in place in the game.

Until the full hotfix is implemented tomorrow, anyone who is still of a guild rank that requires an Authenticator will not be able to use the Remote Guild Chat feature and will receive an error message in the Mobile Armory app if they try. If you were affected by the bug, in order to be re-promoted to “Authenticator Required” ranks, you must first log in to either the game or website for the game to recognize that you have an Authenticator attached (you can do this now – no need to wait for the hotfix). 72 hours later, you will be able to be re-promoted to a rank that requires an Authenticator. We will unfortunately not be able to re-promote those who lost rank as a result of this issue. However, leaders should be able to promote guild members appropriately after the 72-hour timer has expired.

While we managed to catch and address this before it affected too many people, we apologize for any inconvenience or interruption this issue caused you or your guild. One of the reasons we’re rolling out the guild-chat preview gradually is so that we can catch and address issues like this. We’ve worked hard to ensure that Remote Guild Chat is a solid and useful feature, and we want players looking to keep in touch with their guildies to have a great experience with it.

There is some good news! On the realm-support side, we've rolled out the feature to all of the realms in the Ruin Battlegroup today. We're happy with the stability of the service and the feedback we’ve seen so far, and if all goes well, we’re planning to introduce the service on all North America realms within a week’s time.
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Druid
04/20/2011 07:17 PMPosted by Bashiok
We ran into a bug with the Remote Guild Chat feature earlier today which resulted in a few people being demoted within their guild.

rofl
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Paladin
My biggest issue is that it's not free. Normally I wouldn't care.. such a feature is certainly a premium, but this seems like it would be immensely important and useful for guild cohesion and guild activity. Would Blizzard keep more game subscribers opening this feature to the general public, or would they retain that money with the $2.99 Armory subscription fee?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Druid
I have to bring up an issue. Why isn't this available on the web? I pay for the remote subscription so I can AH while on my laptop, but I can't connect to warcraft where I am. I feel as if the mobile guild chat feature would be very good for the web as well and hope you consider implementing it!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I couldn't care much less about whether the guild chat feature is coming out for Android if it doesn't mean we get a full armory app as well. I can't rightfully pay for this content when basic free features are being pushed aside for the money-making ones.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/20/2011 07:57 PMPosted by Warstehdruid
I have to bring up an issue. Why isn't this available on the web? I pay for the remote subscription so I can AH while on my laptop, but I can't connect to warcraft where I am. I feel as if the mobile guild chat feature would be very good for the web as well and hope you consider implementing it!

As I mentioned in the first reply, there are ways to use the Android service from your desktop or laptop PC if you really want to. They aren't exactly the easiest things in the world to set up, so I'd see why a web solution would be ideal though.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
04/20/2011 08:52 PMPosted by Simcá

As I mentioned in the first reply, there are ways to use the Android service from your desktop or laptop PC if you really want to. They aren't exactly the easiest things in the world to set up, so I'd see why a web solution would be ideal though.

Well ideal would be a documented protocol so it just shows up in my IM client, so long as I'm a paying customer.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
How about adding an option to type in landscape mode? Typing in portrait is a bit obnoxious.
Reply Quote
89 Undead Priest
04/20/2011 07:50 PMPosted by Lapis
My biggest issue is that it's not free. Normally I wouldn't care.. such a feature is certainly a premium, but this seems like it would be immensely important and useful for guild cohesion and guild activity.

You could always, oh, I don't know, just text each other like normal human beings.

Unless nobody in your guild can be trusted with such information.
Reply Quote
- Diablo Fans
80 Human Paladin
Serious feedback:

Ive been looking forward to this for a long time, and i will (or would) pay the $2 a month, but as of this second, its missing to big of a feature for it to be worth it...and thats allowing it to be turned on its side to type.. typing with it in the vertical form is just a pain, if you guys can add support for this, I ill be paying the fee in a heartbeat, thank you for you time

[if this is planned would you mind updating the post let us know this...as it is indeed a big deal for us who will be using it a lot to type thank you]

update: another feedback: Im not sure of iphone development abilities, not something I have had the ability to work with, however, when you whisper someone, it puts their name "tell name" in the chat bar.. if its an odd name (and lets face it, 99.9% of namesare) it will put the nice red lines under it for misspelling... I would recommend not putting that in the chat box, or finding a way for it not to be checked.
Edited by Fearinlight on 4/20/2011 10:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Draenei Paladin
04/20/2011 10:08 PMPosted by Coleo
My biggest issue is that it's not free. Normally I wouldn't care.. such a feature is certainly a premium, but this seems like it would be immensely important and useful for guild cohesion and guild activity.

You could always, oh, I don't know, just text each other like normal human beings.

Unless nobody in your guild can be trusted with such information.

Many of our guild members are spread across Canada, US, and Europe. Please don't assume things.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]