Survival PVE Guide (4.1)

(Locked)

85 Orc Hunter
I have a question Kal, Say i'm getting my HM Atramedes bow tonight, is it worth going SV since MM scales so high with wep dmg ?
04/21/2011 02:08 PMPosted by Agämath
I have a question Kal, Say i'm getting my HM Atramedes bow tonight, is it worth going SV since MM scales so high with wep dmg ?

Agamath,

Do you have all the necessary buffs for MM covered in yoru raid comp? Such as 10% melee/ranged haste, 3% damage, etc?

If you yes, then I would definitely say go MM and even depending on which buffs you are missing I would still probably go MM.

That bow is a pretty big DPS upgrade for MM.
100 Draenei Hunter
+1 sticky request. Wonder if we'll have more success getting this one stickied now that your MM guide finally got it.
04/21/2011 02:18 PMPosted by Vaelkyri
lol +10 for getting the sporebat vid in.

LoL thanks.

I am getting 500 server errors everytime I try to make edits to my posts and its getting really frustrating. It looks like the changes make it through but it takes quite a while. I am going to let this sit for a few hours before I resume back. Hopefully what ever is wrong will be corrected by the time I get back. This same thing happened when I was creating the MM guide and it eventually stopped.

In the mean time I apologize for the rough nature. I will continue working on the unfinished portions in note pad.

please feel free to continue posting suggestions or comments regarding the content of this guide.

Feedback is greatly appreciated.

Happy Hunting,
-Kalilah
90 Blood Elf Hunter
/bump

Thanks for helping me with my stat priorities. I will check back in later when you have more things finished. So far though, it looks great!
90 Troll Hunter
Oh yeah nice work on the guide once again Kal, will try to pick through it when i get a few!
Edited by Kaya on 4/21/2011 4:52 PM PDT
90 Troll Hunter
I might mention in the pet talent section that if choosing 3/3 OWN and 0/2 sic em' in your talent build and using a ferocity pet, you should go 2/2 shark attack and 0/2 wild hunt. 1/2 wild hunt is a dps increase with sic em's reduced focus costs.

If using a cumming pet in an aoe fight I would be curious whether it would be better to take roar of recovery and 1/2 wild hunt as well with 3/3 OWN?
Edited by Kaya on 4/22/2011 7:49 AM PDT
90 Pandaren Hunter
04/22/2011 07:19 AMPosted by Kaya
If using a cumming pet in an aoe fight I would be curious whether it would be better to take roar of recovery and 1/2 wild hunt as well with 3/3 OWN?

I'm still wondering how that made it through the profanity filter.

On topic, though, I have a speculative question about Serpent Spread and Multishot come 4.1 With the massive buff to Multishot's upfront damage, is it possible that we would rather take 1/2 in Serpent Spread and reapply Serpent Sting via Multishot every 6 seconds, instead of the current 9? This would enable us to place an additional talent in one of the other two trees, and exactly where that is placed would have to be a factor as well.
90 Troll Hunter
Freudian slip or my ravager is in heat. Pick one.

Most of us only have 1/2 Serpent spread as it is. ISS does not take into effect the duration of serpent spread but does the damage as if it were a full duration SS. The second point is unnecessary if you are spamming multi. Which in most scenarios of aoe we are.
100 Orc Hunter
Thanks for all your effort. Sticky requested.
Thanks for the guide. Hoping to get 2 sticky's on these forums pretty soon.
90 Dwarf Hunter
Great start on the guide. A few observations:

• Enchanting is missing on the professions list (also missing on the MM guide)

• The Simcraft spec seems to be outdated and probably something they've forgotten to update since the hawk buff (unless you've tested it and it actually provides more dps in Simcraft than a version that trades BD for OwN). I'm not sure I'd list it as an option without mentioning that caveat.

• You may want to mention that a factor in using a cunning pet is the bonus to damage below 35%. On some fights the damage late in the fight is a major factor and that may make a cunning pet more attractive. That being said, being able to use Call of The Wild during the end push on a fight may balance out to be more of a net gain.

• As Kaya mentioned I think it'd be useful to talk about how you want to adjust your pet spec based on gear level and whether you take Sic'Em

• In the glyph section I would list Glyph of Raptor Strike as being beneficial on some fights (such as Chimaeron and Nef)

• I realize you haven't written the shot priorities section but when you do be sure to talk about the value of explosive trap relative to black arrow, as well as the fact that multiple hunter explosive traps do not stack

• You might want to say something about why you would choose to use SV over the other specs (i.e. if your group is missing a physical haste buff or other significant physical damage buffs, or if you're doing a fight where extra AoE damage is needed)

BTW- I do recommend flagging the post as like, but suggest that people wait to report it as a sticky until after the rest of the sections are mostly complete. We don't want to report too soon and have them reject it as not a full resource.
Edited by Zeherah on 4/22/2011 1:09 PM PDT
100 Troll Hunter
requesting sticky of epicness! nice job mate!
Zehera,

Thank you very much for the observations. I will make sure to address each point.

Also I agree with Zeherah and we may want to hold of on the sticky requests until I get it finished. It is still a rough draft.

I will be finishing it throughout this week.
85 Troll Hunter
Looking good, I hope 4.1 doesn't change sv much since you posting this (hopefully) right before the patch. Also, it be nice to have a section for the haste breakpoints with and without 4 piece like the MM one has.

In glyphs I would mention g of raptor strike for raid instances where you can be in mele range and there is burst damage you can mitigate, aka, v&t, chimaeron, atramedes, neff come to mind. Though in atras case min range does exist.

Anyways, looking good, can't wait to see the finished guide.
90 Troll Hunter
04/25/2011 01:51 PMPosted by Mcbeaner
Looking good, I hope 4.1 doesn't change sv much since you posting this (hopefully) right before the patch. Also, it be nice to have a section for the haste breakpoints with and without 4 piece like the MM one has.
I don't believe that is possible. The only way that could work would be to pick up enough haste for the 4th cobra. And I don't think that is attainable yet.

Unless I misunderstand how or when the effect is applied, the .2 seconds off cobra shot is equal to 10% haste on the base 2 second cast time. Only way to dump that much haste is to not pick up Hunting party and lose the agility bonus.
I need some help with my napkin math for the agility ratings if anyone cares to help out.

I know as SV, thanks to "Into the Wilderness" we gain 5% extra agility (used to be 10% pre 4.06) so if the standard level 85 hunter ratings are as follows:

1 Agility = 2 AP
1 Agil = .55 Crit Rating

That means for SV with the Into the Wilderness the stats should be:

1 Agility = 1.05 Agility
1 Agility = 2.1 AP
1 Agility = .5775 Crit Rating

Can anyone verify this?
Edited by Kalilah on 4/25/2011 2:46 PM PDT
90 Dwarf Hunter
Kalilah that looks right to me (well technically 1 agil is slightly higher than .55 crit rating so I'm not sure if maybe you want to add another digit or two, say .5519 or .552), but if you're giving numbers with talents included, I would think it'd be best to also include the 2% agil from hunting party and the 5% from the mail bonus. That would cover everything unbuffed, then of course we have an extra 5% from kings.
89 Night Elf Hunter
/bump
i like the guide GJ
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]