Heroic Nefarian down? Want to work for us?

(Locked)

96 Gnome Mage
I'm not sure I am comfortable having content designed and quality controlled only by elitists. Perhaps you folks at Blizz want to expand on that demographic more.

Yours Truley, Does Not Raid.

Think of it like this. You are going in for brain surgery. Who do you want doing your surgery, a pre-med student or the best brain surgeon around?

Wanting the best players to help them test raids and encounters is simple logic. Why do they want their time wasted and encounters not being tested because people can't raid well? Because they can't avoid fires and the mechanics and all that.

Besides that is pretty much how things happen now. Some of the hardest encounters are often hotfixed and/or changed as the worlds top guilds are doing them.

If you're comparing a game to brain surgery (a life threatening proceedure), I suggest you need to take a break from it.

But I digress...the last time I checked there was much more aspects to this game than raiding. As you'll note my level is 85; I did not not stand in the start up zone just killing bores to achieve this level. (Even if I did it would be considered another aspect outside of raiding.) Thus there are other fassets that Blizz could use quality control and better design than playgrouds for hardcore raid types.

In addition, if this was just heroic raiding you may have something. It is not. It look like they will be involved in other areas of the game. This makes me nervous. And likely to those who play other parts of the game that is not raiding. Like um...PvP.

I am also downgrading you for suggesting yo those who do not raid are "standing in fire" morons. Not cool!

Finally, what Austille said.
Edited by Utakata on 4/21/2011 11:46 PM PDT
85 Undead Priest
04/21/2011 07:31 PMPosted by Haifisch
As cool as it would be to work for blizz, I wouldn't live anywhere near a place that restricts my second amendment rights.

I can hear blizz' heart breaking right now........they are all thinking "gee, what we need is more employees that bring their glock to work"

lulz.

in all fairness tho, i live in CA and have plenty of friends that are avid outdoorsmen/gun enthusiasts, and they legally own their own small arsenals....but i guess for some, if ya cant mount a 60 cal on the roof of yer pickup, yer being deprived of something....in short dont let NRA propaganda fool you, you can shoot all kinda of crap in CA.

enjoy west texas. tell the dirt i said hi.
Edited by Lefthandpath on 4/22/2011 12:11 AM PDT
85 Undead Priest
04/21/2011 11:42 PMPosted by Utakata
But I digress...the last time I checked there was much more aspects to this game than raiding.

yer absolutely right.

lets say there were only 5 aspects to the game ABCDE (say raiding was E)

a lot of the folks here are saying "i shouldnt be excluded because i do ABCD", and the only thing im missing out on is "E".

heres where those folks are falling short:

those same folks IMPLY that people that do "E", do only "E". that is just not true. quite a few of the hardcore endgame raiders have their achievement points well above the 8k mark. "why does that matter" you ask? it shows that they've grinded pvp, or pve, fishing, cooking, exploring, questing, rep.........all kinds of crap that most casuals never touch. its a false claim to assume that hardcore raiders log on, raid, and log off.

some do, for sure. but the implication goin on in this thread is that they all do, which is false.

if you only cover 4 aspects of the game, and someone else covers all 5.......well guess what? id rather have the person doin all 5 QA a product for me.
85 Human Priest
What if youre a good player but you stopped raiding because of a job?
44 Human Hunter
04/21/2011 06:20 PMPosted by Mintjam
Such a shame that I'm in by no means in a guild with that sort of experience. Irvine is like 20 minutes or less away. Brb sticking head in oven.

EXACT same situation here. I just started the game, but game testing sounds like a great job, and it's SO CLOSE!

Agh.
85 Troll Druid
04/22/2011 12:15 AMPosted by Udenlo
What if youre a good player but you stopped raiding because of a job?

Then prove it with past experience?
85 Human Paladin
I'd rather not have the top 5% of players having any effect on the game design. These players don't represent the bulk of your players, and while they're skilled and dedicated, this does not make them valuable candidates for testing. If Blizzard is going to do this, you really need to take what these testers say with a grain of salt. Because I've seen how elitist guilds operate, .. it ain't fun. And they won't suggest fun.

I really hope that this position only effects Heroic Raid design.
20 Tauren Hunter
I find this a little discriminating towards a player like myself. Not overly discriminated... Just a little upset due to the fact everyone in spotlight is offered opportunities like this and are praised.

I've never been one to join a high end guild and raid with the best, although I've always wanted to. I've always sat on the sidelines and watched everyone "gear up" from greens to purple items. I've had good friends turn "elitist", join those top end guilds, and stop talking to me entirely. Finding out the hard way that the person you've played with for 3 years would turn his back on you in a heartbeat to seem cooler with his new friends really hurts.

Shyness plays a factor. Yes, some people have shyness issues even over the internet.

I've been in the same guild since release of this game in 2004. We've never had a "first", and I could say we've never had the "twentieth" either . We eventually get the content down though.

I'd love to eventually fight Heroic Nefarian or Sinestra. But I doubt I'll even get to see any heroic fights. I'm the quiet guy that comes prepared to every raid with every single consumable appropriate. I know all the fights, even though I've never seen them personally, but hell I could tell you every mechanic and how to counter it.

I love playing games. You could say that playing games defines me. Nothing is better after an exhausting day to come home, turn on my PC or one of my consoles and sit there for hours playing a game I love. Honestly, a job like this one... This job is a dream job. Especially for me. I love Blizzard Entertainment.

But I'm just blabbering now, doubt anyone will care. I'm sure a troll will read this, and rip me up and tell me to stop being such a wimp. I'll shut up, sit down, and let all the people with no personal problems get the job.
43 Goblin Priest
For you guys out there that are thinking, "Oh jeez, if only I was in a heroic Nefarion guild!" I wouldn't take what Bashiok says as the final word. If you visit the employment page, you'll see a lack of any mentioning of Heroic Nefarion. Really, it seems most emphasis is placed on the game analysis. Ya know, showing that you can communicate the junk and the gold, but that's including mechanics of basic game controls and boss relations while keeping it condensed.

04/21/2011 06:20 PMPosted by Mintjam
Such a shame that I'm in by no means in a guild with that sort of experience. Irvine is like 20 minutes or less away. Brb sticking head in oven.

So.. if you're interested, then go for it. Bashiok probably isn't in HR.
85 Orc Warrior
I'd rather not have the top 5% of players having any effect on the game design. These players don't represent the bulk of your players, and while they're skilled and dedicated, this does not make them valuable candidates for testing. If Blizzard is going to do this, you really need to take what these testers say with a grain of salt. Because I've seen how elitist guilds operate, .. it ain't fun. And they won't suggest fun.

This is a terrible train of thought. While it may not seem like it to someone who's never completed hardmode achievements, I, for one, can say that hardmodes are too easy. I was in an Alliance guild at the end of Wrath where I came to the fight after reading a list of his possible skills; no guides, no videos; nothing but the list of skills. Then again, I think this whole game is stupidly easy or just plain RNG based where no amount of skill can save you. It was enjoyable hearing idiots complain that Cata's heroics were "Oh so hard!" Unless you're a healer, shut up and sit down. HP has quadrupled. DPS has almost doubled. Healing has gone up about 20%. That's not right. That's stupid.

Also, what about PvP? You know, you can actually train 25 monkies to complete scripted boss encounters, why not balance around a situation where your opponent actually thinks?
85 Troll Priest
I think it is pretty obvious that the reason they want only high end raiders is the same reason why high end raiders find the exploits. These people think outside the box and look at ways that encounters aren't supposed to be done and try and see if they can make it do that. Who the hell thinks of standing on a torch? Kungen does. Who the hell thinks about bringing trash from another room of the instance into Hodir's room? Ensidia does. Who thinks about keeping a paladin in the brain room to evade bug mobs? Exodus does. Who brings 11 druids to H Nef? Paragon does. These players are the people they want.

They want people that can logically complete encounters and think outside the box. God knows I'd love to apply, I've thought every single heroic encounter this tier has been easy and simple, not to mention many are exploitable beyond belief, but you know, that whole central Canada thing screws me, WTB work visa sponsorship please?
85 Human Paladin

QA != game design.

QA is for finding bugs and exploits with encounters, and they can't do that if they hire random schmucks that lack the skill to complete the encounters.

I feel that "test future content, and provide feedback on Heroic raids" are two different things. One is testing to see if everything works properly including bugs and exploits. The other is giving feedback on the mechanics, like does it cause enough pain or is it chaotic enough. Ultimately, these guys will tell them that the encounter is too easy, which influences the design. I'm worried about seeing that influence in normals.

And Castro, I think we're on the same page. Let these guys go wild on Hardmodes (I said Heroic Raid but meant hardmode). I just don't want Heroic Nefarion skilled players influencing the design of a normal encounter for the other super high majority of lesser skilled players.
85 Undead Rogue
Well firstly Id like to say GG blizz for offering employment to people who play the game. So many companies get employee's from outside of the company to fill hire positions, rather than putting a person up in employment, who knows all about the company. Sure this is a little different as the people who play Wow arent existing employee's but similar, they are already familiar with the content.

My BF has always loved Blizzard, he is always wearing his Blizzard shirt to work (when its clean) and wishes he had 7 of them so he can wear one every day. He is currently (finally) studying, and one day will be in the business of what he loves, and will still aim for employment with Blizzard, so while he is not qualified yet, and neither am I AT ALL. I just want to add one comment.

If it wasnt for the guild achievements now in WOW people would be able to join a raiding guild that suits them, not either be stuck in a guild, that they dont want to be in because it would be imposable to get into a REAL guild at this stage in the expansion, or they simply dont want to lose their rep by changing. Then there is people like me. Guilds fell apart when Cata was coming (as with all expansions) I was looking for a guild once I hit 85, but most were 'social' or levelling guilds, when I finally joined one, that was raiding, they didnt have a full raid group & kicked everyone and sold the guild when it reached level 25. I dont care about the guild level, so I have now joined a level 2 guild, but we are also finding it hard to find raiders due to the above reasons.

My point being, it would be easier to find more experience raiders should it not be so hard to be able to find a decent guild, or if it was easier to pug (for the smaller guilds) At no point do I think I would be farming heroic content if the guild xp wasnt bought in, but I sure would be in a guild doing casual content if it wasnt for the guild XP. Yes there are still good guilds out there, but no where near as many people are finishing content due to the new system. Content was too easy in WOTLK, yes, but I dont believe it was because everyone was pugging it, I think it was because pre-wotlk, you had to do instances followed by heroics, then harder heroics then start raids, then harder raids. Wotlk made it so you could practically go from 80straight to heroics then raids in no time. Which is like logging into a lvl1 toon, going afk and being at end game. bring back the old gearing up system, thats what WOTLK lacked, it had nothing to do with being able to clear it in pugs, you could clear old content in pugs.

So fix the guild XP issue, where people cant enjoy end game due to not being able to find a guild at this point, then you would have much more applicants.

*Edit :o my game card expired, so I had to log my other/sons account to post....Noooooooo(brb adding game time)
85 Draenei Shaman
Ah! This is wonderful ;]

One day... Somewhere in the far far far, future I shall work at Blizzard >:O
100 Human Mage
I wouldn't worry too much about elitists ruining the game for you. It's got to be very hard finding qualified people who can write up a good analysis as well as play the game at the highest level so they are fishing around on the forums to try and shake a few more their way.

I'm guessing they have plenty of general testers but need some very hardcore players in order to catch more problems before the actual high end guilds have to suffer with them. There's no way world first guilds should have the encounters changed on the fly as they are doing them because of bugs - that's just bad quality and needs to be addressed.

Even so, if you live in the area and are extremely interested in testing games go ahead and apply - what's there to lose. Just make sure to spend some good time on the analysis they ask for since that's where I'm guessing most apps will fail even before they ask about raid experience. Maybe if you have a stellar analysis they will have a spot for you even if you aren't 13/13.
90 Night Elf Druid
DANG DUDE!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]