Easiest tank class?

59 Troll Hunter
What's the easiest tank class to play for us newbs? Most of a tank's life is tanking in 5-mans, isn't it? Which one allows us to concentrate most on the fight and the group?

Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
I haven't tried any of the others but Paladin is pretty easy.
Reply Quote
There is no "easiest" tank class. What is easy for one might not be for another. My advice to you is to choose a race / class that you like to play and dump your points into the tank tree.
Reply Quote
Like Akosi, I can't vouch for other tanks but paladins are pretty easy. Hammer of Righteousness spam, avenging shield, judgement etc etc.
Reply Quote
55 Night Elf Hunter
Paladin for sure. You get protection spells to boost your defence and your party members defence. Healing spells to heal yourself and your party members and one of your spells generates Agro/pulls enemies towards you. I have a tank and I NEVER run out of mana. Its definitly the easiest for you and it's easy on your healer cuz there's emergency heals in case they fall behind a bit.

If your playing Horde they're only available on Tauren and Blood Elf, for Alliance it's Human, Dwarf and I believe Drenai.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
I have only tanked on my paladin as well. Must say it was easy.

The one class I will suggest NOT starting out on is a DK. If you are learning the basics of TANKING you need to learn it just as slow as you learn a new class. Death Knights , while a slowish pace, still just throws you to the wolves while learning the class. You don't need to be learning general tanking at that same pace for the sake of the random people you are matched with.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I've tanked on all of them that you can, and I have to say, Warriors are the hardest to tank on, Bears are now a challenge, but my Paladin is an amazingly fun and easy tank. 70% of my groups tell me I'm a good tank too, even when I'm not trying, or falling asleep on the keyboard. lol

Edit:Forgot DK, never tried tanking on a DK, I don't feel safe without a shield, and I dont like healing DK tanks either. I feel they are unequipped to tank and dont hold aggro very well.
Edited by Tonkerauqs on 4/26/2011 11:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
66 Troll Hunter
Paladin's because they have their healing spells if the healer is in a pinch.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/26/2011 11:43 AMPosted by Equalization

A paladin that uses anything other than Word of Glory or Lay on Hands while he's tanking is stupid and going to die quickly.
Edited by Icedragon on 4/26/2011 11:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
04/26/2011 11:48 AMPosted by Icedragon

A paladin that uses anything other than Word of Glory or Lay on Hands while he's tanking is stupid and going to die quickly.

If you need your tank to use word of glory to stay alive you need to replace you healer.

As for the easiest tank class. I have played them all. In order of easiest to hardest (Based on TPS (threat per second) and how many spells you have to use to maintain that TPS) I would say DK > Paladin > Warrior > Druid. If you want a more detailed reason why i say this than ask but for this post Im not going to far into detail.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
I've tanked every class to 80 pre-cata with a tank spec and paly's and DKs post-4.0 and cata.

Pre-cata - warriors were probably the hardest to tank on because all 5-mans were basically AoE grinding and warriors were harder to snatch aoe aggro over paly's, DKs, and bears. Bears were mindless, charge and swipe spam. Paladins and DKs had a lot of PBAoEs and were great at AoE tanking.

Along came cata - And Blizzard decided AoE dungeon grinding wasn't hte right direction and made it harder to get aggro and also severely hampered mana regen on healers (which was part of the AoE grinding problem. Not only could you AoE tank entire dungeons, but healers never ran out of mana). I think in cataclysm, paly's and DKs stayed relatively same as far as managing aggro and how they grab it. Warriors (though I didn't really play one yet) seem to have remained the same. Bears were really hurt w/ AoE aggro with the increased rage cost of swipe and it being put on a CD. I haven't yet tried to adjust to my bear tank since 4.0, but if you hear that bears make bad tanks--it probably are old bear's that haven't quite figured out how to do it when you have to push more than 1 button.

Currently, I'd say all tank classes are equally fit to tank any situation and depending on the situation some may be better equipped.

I have an 85 paly and DK and I'd say, I prefer tanking on my DK. They can be squishier because they don't have shields to block but they have a lot of passive self-healing and blood shield and excellent aggro generation. I tanked Baradin hold on my DK and I couldn't use death strike or rune strike when it wasn't my turn to tank becaus I would out threat the warrior. I used that time to keep my diseases on.

Also, I love death grip, and strangulate to help gather up casting mobs.

04/26/2011 11:54 AMPosted by Kasandre
If you need your tank to use word of glory to stay alive you need to replace you healer.
or they are too low to have shield of repentance and have nothing else to dump holy power on.
Edited by Jåy on 4/26/2011 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
99 Tauren Druid
I'd like to know why you have DK at the top of the list. I've never been in any group that a DK is better at holding threat than any other tank. Even when I target what the tank has been working on for awhile my high burst damage can quickly pull from a DK tank, I normally don't have that problem with any others.

EDIT For spelling
Edited by Dasffion on 4/26/2011 11:58 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/26/2011 11:54 AMPosted by Kasandre

Have you forgotten that there are low level dungeons or should a lowbie prot paladin just die because his "healer isn't good enough" to get mileage from a healing cushion provided by Word of Glory? It's one of two Holy Power dumps that paladins get early on.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter

Have you forgotten that there are low level dungeons or should a lowbie prot paladin just die because his "healer isn't good enough" to get mileage from a healing cushion provided by Word of Glory? It's one of two Holy Power dumps that paladins get early on.

Im saying that you should not NEED your tank to use it. Now personally I do on my paladin unless i need my shield bash for more threat but I only do it to save my healer mana so we dont have to stop for a mana break as often. There will always be times when you have to make that call of whether to trust your healer to keep you up or spend you holy power on the heal. But I think that if you have to use word of glory constantly in order to stay alive perhaps your healer needs to get a few more levels before attempt to heal you or perhaps you as a tank are too squishy.
Reply Quote

And very early on, it's the ONLY holy power dump. Even at level 80 I still find time to use WoG in different situations. It's definitely a nice thing to have.
Edited by Bavra on 4/26/2011 12:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
04/26/2011 12:04 PMPosted by Kasandre
Im saying that you should not NEED your tank to use it.

Lowbies do. Does that mean lowbie healers suck by default? You made an over-generalized statement that doesn't apply to a lot of prot paladins based on their level.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
04/26/2011 12:11 PMPosted by Icedragon
Im saying that you should not NEED your tank to use it.

Lowbies do. Does that mean lowbie healers suck by default? You made an over-generalized statement that doesn't apply to a lot of prot paladins based on their level.

Also, even at high levels, you are probably better off using one of your defensive cooldowns. An instant 10k heals or so, isn't going to help the healer as much as 10 seconds of taking 50% less damage.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter

Im not saying all lowbie healers suck. Im speaking from experience of having leveled every healing class and have never had the issue of not being able to keep my tanks healed unless they did something ridiculous.

When I said that you should replace you healer if you need word of glory to stay alive I was really just speaking of lvl 85s. Perhaps I should have specified. When you only Holy Power dump is word of glory, then obviously you are going to use that because what else are you gonna do with it?
Reply Quote
59 Troll Hunter
"Easy" and "fun" aren't exactly the same, but this is a fun thread on the most "fun" tank class to play:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2301720351

Q: how do I make this link active?

Warrior seems to be getting a lot of votes. Everyone seems to think DKs have a challenging rotation. Druids sound like they're hard to maintain AoE threat with -- though I imagine that could change with 4.1 today.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Q: how do I make this link active?
I believe only internal links to wow websites will be active, external links will never be active. To easy to spoof links on forums and have people click a link like the one you have above but actually re-direct you to any other site.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]