Anyone having time machine problems ?

Ah, but it is, even if not much. As was explained by Bluspacecow.

Any file that shows a modified date current is candidate for backing up.

These files aren't changing. MD5 checksums confirm it.

While deleting older backups, it doesn't delete files that are not in newer places that haven't been changed recently, so you don't lose anything.

But it does delete older versions of files that change legitimately.

Edit: Blizz: Please tell us there will be a patch tomorrow to fix this.
Edited by Shaker on 5/2/2011 10:41 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Yeah, throwing my hat in with this report. I only notice it because my Time Machine lives on a file server a room away so 15 gigs takes a bit of time to transfer. But I figured it was some quirk with old archives getting pruned and new hard links needing to be made, so when Carbon Copy Cloner started getting in on the act and telling me that I changed 23gigs of data during its overnight backup, I had to dig in and look. It's annoying, but hopefully there's a better answer coming down the pike.
Reply Quote
89 Goblin Rogue

How are you determining the actual space being used for the backup?

Time Machine tells you how much space it is using to back up the files. Also, you can look in the Console and it will tell you how much was copied to the backup drive. And, you can look at how much space is being used on the backup drive.

Reply Quote
I am having the exact same issue.

And I have made sure that there were no changes at all.
Reply Quote
99 Human Warlock
Having the same issue... Excluded WoW from my TimeMachine backups and it's fine for now.

There is a Mac app called TimeTracker found at http://www.charlessoft.com/
which allows you to see what is exactly being backed up... and when i ran it, WoW was the culprit for sure.

hope this helps until they can fix this!
Reply Quote
It's been a week since the issue was reported. How are we doing on a fix?

Edit: this bug is in the PTR 4.2 client. Blizzard, please fix bugs before adding new features.
Edited by Shaker on 5/5/2011 8:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Bump -- sorry. Just curious if this is the way it's gonna be, or if this is acknowledged as an issue that will eventually be addressed.

Reply Quote
So yea did some more tested

Time machine fully backed up.

Tried manually ran it - fully backed up

Then, opened wow.

Hit run again

15.54 Gig's to be backed up again.

The same number ever time I run wow.

This is certainly new, its not a time machine issue because its not - this just started in the last patch.

Any news?
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
I get the sinking feeling this is linked to how the "cache" system in WoW works, as that modofies literally everything in the data folder. I would simply exclude the entire WoW folder from any scheduled type backup tasks and just manually back up WoW. That's a heck of a lot easier than fighting time machine every time WoW is launched.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
95 Draenei Mage
05/09/2011 08:29 PMPosted by Tiapriestess
I get the sinking feeling this is linked to how the "cache" system in WoW works, as that modofies literally everything in the data folder. I would simply exclude the entire WoW folder from any scheduled type backup tasks and just manually back up WoW. That's a heck of a lot easier than fighting time machine every time WoW is launched.

It didn't use to do this tho' Tia.

Me and Ressie compile patch mirrors for both patches and tools whenever a patchs or tools update comes out.

This is the first time it's touched *everything* in the Data folder on launch. It never used to do that - we used to be able to look at the modification dates of stuff to look where it's put data.

Now we can't - we can only go off what new files appear and the updater log (which doesn't get updated with all the changes)

Mac Tech Support MVP (moonlights in other forums)
Here to Help :)
Reply Quote
05/09/2011 08:29 PMPosted by Tiapriestess

The .MPQ files in the top level of the Data tree don't actually change each time - MD5 checksums confirm this. Only the time stamps are changing and it wreaks havoc with a set-and-forget backup strategy.

Edit: And it's now two weeks since it was reported. And I reported it months ago when I saw it in the 4.0 PTR.

Between this and stutter, the Mac client is looking more and more like a neglected stepchild.
Edited by Shaker on 5/10/2011 2:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
For me time machine will report failed backup copying files. I look at the logs and it fails on the interface/addons folder and the WTF folder.

At first I thought it was because I copied those over from windows. So I deleted those and the backup completed without error. Then I redownloaded my addons from curse and set everything up again and now time machine errors out again on the backup of those files.

I ran a permissions repair with no luck.
Reply Quote
Time Machine backups run as root, so if root can't read it, there's a problem, like maybe a weird ACL. Did you remove the Interface directory altogether or just purge its contents?

Try

chmod -R -N /Applications/World\ of\ Warcraft

?
Edited by Shaker on 5/12/2011 11:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
Time Machine backups run as root, so if root can't read it, there's a problem, like maybe a weird ACL. Did you remove the Interface directory altogether or just purge its contents?

Try

chmod -R -N /Applications/World\ of\ Warcraft

?

I originally did a clean install of wow and copy and pasted the addons and WTF folder. Then I completed deleted the addons folder and built a new one.

I did what you suggested and am now running another backup. Time Machine still wants to backup 15.27gb every time though.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Priest
backup completed successfully. Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
On two different MacBook Pro's patch 4.1 had the same result as did the first live "cataclysm" patch.

First bug, live "cataclysm" patch (4.0.3 if i recall?) - admittedly unrelated to the original topic but adding it here for background - this patch rendered WoW unable to launch and run from any user but an "admin" user (both 10.5.8 and 10.6.x). Clean re-install post patch 4.1 and now non-admin users can play WoW again (on a MacBook Pro running 10.5.8).

Second bug, since patch 4.1, time machine backs up 15GB of WoW files anytime WoW is run (as has already been documented in this thread). On the MacBook Pro (10.5.8) that has had a clean re-install of WoW, this bug is not present but on the MacBook Pro (10.6.x) with a copy of WoW installed since "wrath" launch patch, this bug is present. The bug as identified is when WoW is run, the next time machine backup will back up 15GB of WoW files. I have used a utility called timedog to review which files where last backed up. Here is the information from that utility :

timedog -d 5 -l
==> Comparing TM backup 2011-05-12-205801 to 2011-05-12-172359
Depth: 5 directories
2.9KB-> 2.9KB /.Backup.log
0B-> 0B /.com.apple.TMCheckpoint
1.9KB-> 1.9KB /.exclusions.plist
340B-> 577.5KB [17] /Macintosh HD/Applications/Games/World of Warcraft/Cache/
13.3GB-> 13.3GB [25] /Macintosh HD/Applications/Games/World of Warcraft/Data/
14.1KB-> 18.0KB [4] /Macintosh HD/Applications/Games/World of Warcraft/Logs/
37.0MB-> 36.0MB [125] /Macintosh HD/Applications/Games/World of Warcraft/WTF/
460.7KB-> 460.7KB [2] /Macintosh HD/Applications/VLC.app/Contents/MacOS/
8.9KB-> 8.9KB /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/com.apple.TimeMachine.plist
2.0KB-> 2.0KB /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.PowerManagement.plist
6.8KB-> 6.8KB /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.airport.preferences.plist
44.5KB-> 44.5KB /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.network.identification.plist
14.4KB-> 14.4KB /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist
67.7KB-> 67.7KB [4] /Macintosh HD/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/
3.7KB-> 3.7KB /Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/Blizzard/com.blizzard.World of Warcraft.prefs
320.8KB-> 320.8KB [3] /Macintosh HD/Users/Shared/Blizzard/Battle.net/
21.0KB-> 21.0KB /Macintosh HD/Users/###/Desktop/.DS_Store
21.0KB-> 21.0KB [1] /Macintosh HD/Users/###/Desktop/
3.4KB-> 3.4KB [2] /Macintosh HD/Users/###/Library/Application Support/
1.7MB-> 1.7MB [1] /Macintosh HD/Users/###/Library/Cookies/
487B-> 487B [3] /Macintosh HD/Users/###/Library/Google/
110.8KB-> 112.9KB [14] /Macintosh HD/Users/###/Library/Preferences/
329.9KB-> 330.6KB [3] /Macintosh HD/Users/###/Library/Safari/
1.0KB-> 1.0KB /Macintosh HD/private/var/db/.TimeMachine.Results.plist
8B-> 8B /Macintosh HD/private/var/db/ntp.drift
1.2KB-> 1.2KB [3] /Macintosh HD/private/var/db/
==> Total Backup: 250 changed files/directories, 13.35GB

While the above shows 13GB, time machine reports 15GB. This is a known size difference with the utility from what I have read on forums.

To recap : patch 4.1 is causing WoW files to be copied to the backup anytime WoW is run. I experienced this both on Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Mac OS X 10.6.7. Please rectify this bug. Backup space is not on a TARDIS.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
This is being investigated. I brought this up to Padim and he has confirmed this. No ETA yet when this will be updated but we are aware of the issue.
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment|| Tu-Sat 8:45 am - 5 pm CST
If you can't find it here, contact a rep direct :http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. Haala at your sheep!
Why did the Shadow Priest's account expire? Too lazy to drop Shadowform to Renew.
Bah-ah-ah-ah-rains!!!
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Thanks for that confirmation TonyM.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Np, I also added it to the 4.1 known issues list for tracking.
Mac Tech Support for Baaaaahlizzard Entertainment|| Tu-Sat 8:45 am - 5 pm CST
If you can't find it here, contact a rep direct :http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/company/about/contact.html
http://www.surveymk.com/s/RF8K3KG ---- Rate my Baaaaalue Posts. Haala at your sheep!
Why did the Shadow Priest's account expire? Too lazy to drop Shadowform to Renew.
Bah-ah-ah-ah-rains!!!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Here's my update (and thank you for the notice TonyM).

Fresh install of cataclysm, full update done (took about six hours to complete both tasks - left it running over night). After testing the two bugs I mentioned, here are the results :

First bug, (unable to play from non-admin account, only admin account can play WoW) - issue resolved with a clean install (if not already, this could be reported as a possible solution to this bug I reported).

Second bug, (launch WoW or the launcher and Time Machine is forced to backup 15GB of data) - issue remains after a clean install. System that this bug exists on is as follows :

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,3
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.48f2

In short, my MacBook Pro is a stock system running Mac OS X 10.6.7 with all current updates applied. If any additional information is required, I would be willing to provide it, please let me know.

Thank you for looking into this, I look forward to a resolution in a coming patch.

I close with a funny quote - "Backup space is not on a TARDIS."
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]