Anyone having time machine problems ?

Support Forum Agent
From what I can see this should be been fixed with a tools patch a bit back. Is the issue still happening?

Pfft! Secret doors, who needs 'em? What do I care about secret doors?... and the unparalleled delights they keep hidden from the world!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
I am not sure. I have not tried my time machine in a long time. I was curious if it had been fixed in an update since the last post? I will try it for the next few days and see.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Cool let us know. Last status update I see from our team is that this was fixed in a previous tools patch :)

Pfft! Secret doors, who needs 'em? What do I care about secret doors?... and the unparalleled delights they keep hidden from the world!
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Not meaning to necro a thread, but it's the most relevant place to post I think.

I didn't see any posts after Machkhan's on 15 Mar this year, so I'm not sure if this issue is still occurring.

I've just reinstalled my machine, and am running a time machine backup as I type this. I'll kick of the WoW launcher once it's done and then get TM to back up again, and see if it's been resolved. My main reason for looking into this was because I wondered about D3 and whether it had the same issue. Will see soon I guess :)

*edit* I'm stopping the backup and will restart it when I go to bed. It says it'll take 7 hours :|
Edited by Cillian on 6/18/2012 10:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Okay, so this doesn't appear to have been fixed. After last night's full backup, I kicked off a manual backup, and it backed up 16kb.

I then opened the WoW launcher, closed it, and started another manual backup - the size of the data to be backed up was 16Gb (which I then stopped). I proceeded to open the Diablo launcher, closed it, and started another manual backup, and the data to be backed up was now 24Gb.

So it's not just a WoW issue any more, it's D3 as well.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Thanks for ping the thread again. I'll poke around and see what the status of this is.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Thanks mate :) I'm going to cross reference this on the D3 forums as well, so that they're aware of the issue.
Reply Quote
62 Blood Elf Warlock
i cant install wow on my mac. it keeps telling me that its in the time machine and i cant get it out. every time i try to install it keeps giving me the error message
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Do we know the current status of this conclusively in light of the additional patches that have dropped since 4.3? Thanks for any info.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
06/19/2012 03:14 PMPosted by Machkhan
Thanks for ping the thread again. I'll poke around and see what the status of this is.

So.... did you find out anything?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Nothing yet. The team is always very busy, so it might take a bit to get a response. I'll keep poking with a stick in the mean time.

Are you saying this issue is still present with 5.x?
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Nothing yet. The team is always very busy, so it might take a bit to get a response. I'll keep poking with a stick in the mean time.

Are you saying this issue is still present with 5.x?

Well, my data folder has today's date still, however there have been so many legit patches and changes lately that I can't say for sure that is an invalid "touch". I'll keep and eye on it
Edited by Kayla on 9/13/2012 10:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Thanks. I'll see if they answer soon, but having confirmation of if the issue is still present would help :)
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
Here's the best test I could think to do without running a lengthy TM backup.

(1) Initial date/time on the data folder was 10:42 Today. enUS folder inside data same, no other file or folder says that time. (Cache says earlier in the day)
(2) Start launcher and close it without starting the game -- dates of these folders remain unchanged.
(3) Start launcher and press play. Quit log in screen without logging into the game -- time on these folders change to 11:05.
(4) Start launcher and press play again, quit again without logging into the game -- time on these folders change to 11: 06

So.... it seems like these folders are touched whenever the game is launched. It seems unlikely the actual files were changed between 11:05 and 11:06.

Is there a better way to test this?

Thanks for the help.
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Priest
I finally got a chance to actually test this with time machine and the problem for me appears to be resolved. My backups are running normal amounts well under one Gig with all the folders included.

I'd still love to hear a confirmation from someone else that they've seen it go away, or hear that something was changed.

Thanks
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Sorry about the long weekend.

This hasn't been actively worked on, but the Launcher/Updating itself was reworked with 5.x, so this might have been a self resolved. I'll get this info back to the appropriate team and see what they say.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
[UPDATE]

I removed the exclusion today for the WoW data (/Applications/Games/World of Warcraft/Data), and started a backup. Over 20GB to backup since it had been previously excluded. I ran the launcher, then started a backup. I had over 1GB of data to backup due to the upcoming patch 5.2. I stopped the backup, ran the launcher, waited for the data to download then I started a backup. After the 1GB+ of data had been backed up, I started another backup to make sure there was nothing of consequence to backup, and there was not. I ran the launcher, saw there was nothing to download, saw that the game was up to date and then I clicked the play button. At the login screen I quit and then I started a backup. There was no data of consequence to backup. It looks like this problem has been resolved.

Please note, when you remove any WoW data exclusions from Time Machine, it will still need to backup the files at least once. After that, any time the launcher is run there should be no further backups unless it is upcoming patch data, like I just had.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]