portals in shattrath/dalaran?

85 Undead Priest
I'm amazed at how many people think that every other player has the same amount of time to play this game as they do. Let me see those people set a timer for one hour and only one hour, not a second more, and travel to where they need to go only using their hearthstone (because not all of us have other means of transportation) ground mount, flying mount and the boat/zepp and see how much you get done.

This isn't about being hardcore or lazy or what's hard and what's easy. It's about getting the most you possibly can get done in the amount of time you have. Lessening the amount of time I spend in transit allows me to get more stuff done that I want to do. If I played 8 hours a day too, you bet I wouldn't care either way about the portals being back or not. No one said you had to use them anyway.

So thank you Blizz for putting the portals back in.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
04/27/2011 12:47 AMPosted by Dokilar
i thought these weren't going to be re-implemented?

bam! in your face!
85 Undead Mage
Never noticed, GO MAGES! whoooo!
85 Human Paladin
I'm glad they're back. Makes leveling up alts much more convenient. The first time (or 2) through, it was fun to do the travel thing and "see the world". But now, it's so much nicer to be able to get around quickly with alts, or to help friends on their alts.

Thank you Blizzard!!!
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Only thing I want? Have those lazy mages move that port to Caverns from Dal to org! Cmon!
81 Troll Hunter
Thank you so much Bliz. When I came back before for my free trial I missed the portals so much that I left again. Now I can stay. I really missed being in Dal and Shat.

Jetzabella etc.
85 Night Elf Druid
Haven't read through the pages of this reply so I hope I am not repeating anything here...

I don't really understand the point of removing the portals in general. I understand that Blizzard is going for immersion but I think they are missing the mark on this one. I don't believe that Dalaran would continue to be a hub that everyone still hung out in unless they had portals to Twilight Highlands, Deepholme, Hyjal along with the major faction cities. Then characters would never leave Dalaran for sure.

That being said if you are going for immersion boy have you missed it! Why are there portals to the new content in only Orgrimmar and Stormwind? Why are they then not in Under City, Darnassus, Thunder Bluff etc.? Go to your local Darnassus and I bet you it looks just like Shat or Dalaran at the moment. Sure I can fly from Darnassus to Hyjal. But I can also take the boat from Stormwind and accomplish the same.

I say the more portals the better and the more immersed the player base will be. Mages will be happy they aren't getting pestered a ton and the player base will be happy for the convenience. More people will most likely be spread out into the major cities if there were ports to the new content in all of them and ports between each major city in them as well!

To remove the portals from Dalaran and Shat was silly in general because players naturally had to just shack up in Stormwind or Orgrimmar for the new content. So you have basically gone from all of the characters sitting in Dalaran or Shat to all of the characters sitting in Orgrimmar and Stormwind. What's the difference?
85 Human Hunter
WoW
glad to see them back. thanks blizz
90 Night Elf Rogue
04/28/2011 06:30 PMPosted by Elysianna

I'll stop hating mages when mages stop charging ridiculous amounts of gold for their portals.

The stupid stones only cost 50s. I see no need to charge 10g or more to do 10 seconds of work.

But thankfully, these new portals in Shatt/Dalaran can allow me to say "screw you, mages!" a lot easier. I ain't paying those prices, portals or no portals. But the portals are most certainly welcomed, even if it is only SW/Org. Heck, we never need the other Capital Cities anyways and there are ways to get them if one needs.

I'll stop charging 10g+ on my mage when this stops happening:

[Randomnoob] Port me to Darnassus
[Me] Sorry, I'm busy
[Randomnoob] It takes all of 10 seconds.
[Me] No. I'm busy
[Randomnoob] Come on, just port me
[Me] Fine. 10g
[Randomnoob] wtf. the stones cost you 50s
[Me] Don't like it, go bother someone else

Either I (a) get left alone; or (b) I get 10g. Win-win.

I like you.
We had a number of instances where people were coming back to the game after not playing for a long period, in some cases years, and having a really difficult time finding their way to where they should be.

Stormwind and Orgrimmar portals now exist in Dalaran and Shattrath to help them get to the relevant cities in Cataclysm; one for each faction, and only those two portals exist to facilitate that intent.

So what you're saying is that people who have been gone for years came back to a different game and had to re-learn it all? Huh, imagine that.
We had a number of instances where people were coming back to the game after not playing for a long period, in some cases years, and having a really difficult time finding their way to where they should be.

People had trouble flying to Warsong Hold and taking a zeppelin. I don't really care about the ports but this made me laugh.
90 Draenei Mage
Oh look, the players were right and blizzard was in the wrong, again.

I'm not surprised, I knew this would happen.

You a geneous.

/win XD

Edit: Also - the people complaining about portal prices? Have never had to level a mage.

"Table plz"
"mage water please"

Or the ever infamous:
"LF port to <insert city here that's one zep / tram ride away from current city they're in>"

I charge 1-5g, depending on the place, and people STILL complain.

There's just no pleasing some people.
Edited by Caesosthosi on 5/3/2011 11:32 AM PDT
90 Blood Elf Priest
05/03/2011 11:06 AMPosted by Oogaboogaa

People had trouble flying to Warsong Hold and taking a zeppelin. I don't really care about the ports but this made me laugh.

Actually? Yes.

I took an extended break from playing a level 50-something character on a server I rolled on because I knew someone IRL who played there. My hearth was set to/I was based in Dalaran due to the ease of travel afforded by the portals. I have known quite a few people who did the same thing with characters of all levels. Made world travel easy.

When I logged in after the portals were removed . . . oof. I couldn't fly on my own; too low level. I had no Warsong Hold flight path. I had very little gold and whenever I logged in no mages were in Dalaran. With the little gold I had, I could not get a mage to come to Dal and port me out. I knew no mages personally on that server since I hadn't played on it for such a long time and never really met that many people there in the first place.

It was really no skin of my nose since I didn't really care about that character that much. My main characters are on other servers. I just gave up. But what about people who took a break/quit and came back and were in the same predicament? The last thing you want as a money-making business is a player who quits/takes a break (stops paying) and decides to come back (paying again) to find themselves trapped in a dead city with no viable exits outside of being clever or paying stupidly high amounts of gold they may not even have (gave away their stuffs . . . were newish players . . . etc.). Immediate hassle frustration is not good for business.
85 Tauren Paladin
I didn't read all 23 pages. I am one of the players that could have benefited from this a few months ago. I left after WotlK and came back to Cata. I log into Dalaran and it's vacant and there's no way to get back to org short of flying to BT and catching the zepp. To be honest I had to wowhead it because after a year of not playing I couldn't remember how to get back.

85 Draenei Priest
Protals in Dalaran are completely useless, in my opinion. There are boats/zepplins back to the mainland easily accessible (and at no cost) so portals out of Dalaran just strike me as silly. Even Draenor have easy access back to the Eastern Kingdoms through the Dark Portal. If people are too lazy to use them or find a mage, that's on them.
90 Tauren Druid
yay now i can go afk in dal again just like the old days lol
90 Tauren Druid
05/03/2011 11:32 AMPosted by Imei
Protals in Dalaran are completely useless, in my opinion. There are boats/zepplins back to the mainland easily accessible (and at no cost) so portals out of Dalaran just strike me as silly. Even Draenor have easy access back to the Eastern Kingdoms through the Dark Portal. If people are too lazy to use them or find a mage, that's on them.

what about those who are coming back to the game after a long hiatus? everyone doesnt know everything about the game like you claim you do
85 Human Death Knight
I love having the portals back.I have a lot of toons at all levels and hate sitting and waiting on a boat to get somewhere.Plus i like doing the instances for guild rep.The portals make it a lot easier to get a group of guildies to a instance on the other side of the world.It will help out doing all the farming for mats for the lower level things you may need to make from time to time.Not all people have done all the quest in some parts of the world.I like going back and doing some of them after i get to level 85 and not waisting 30 min to get where i need to go.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]