portals in shattrath/dalaran?

85 Night Elf Druid
Ah I like this change. I miss Dalaran actually. Stormwind is just overly crowded. Too bad they won't put back the portals to the other cities. Or better yet, just put all the new cata portals in each of the major cities. That way people can hang out in their city of choice. I actually liked hanging out in Exodar. Nice and quiet and peaceful. I suppose this is a good start at least.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
This would have been cool if blizz just automatically set hearthstones to org or sw upon installing cata.
100 Blood Elf Priest
04/27/2011 09:24 AMPosted by Sikmode
This would have been cool if blizz just automatically set hearthstones to org or sw upon installing cata.

Just because a new expansion comes out doesn't mean ALL of us are ready/willing to play in the new areas... Many of us don't WANT to play elbow-to-elbow in the current zones and actually enjoy doing lower-level stuff.
The key word here is CHOICE. Just because YOU want to do the new raids, bgs, zones, etc. doesn't mean we ALL HAVE to.
Same with the portals... if you don't like them, don't use them. But WHY prevent others from having the convenience?? Boggles the mind...
Edited by Zurielle on 4/27/2011 9:35 AM PDT
85 Human Death Knight
Who. Cares.

Its a portal.
85 Draenei Shaman
04/27/2011 12:48 AMPosted by Effingy
1/10

I bet you feel extra stupid since the blue confirmed the portals being real. Idiot.
7 Gnome Rogue
I think the main reason for the hate, much like other changes that get repealed in this game, is jealousy. Most players leveled up without the portals, and now that they don't need them like they did while they were leveling up, are upset that other players get the option.

Just like the touring rocket thing using recruit a friend tool. People who had the horse were pissed that people who didn't cash in their mount thing for the horse were able to get the rocket. Their arguement? 'Well if I had known, I would never have had claimed that stupid horse'.

Go ahead, be upset, you are well within your right to be mad, but this change is hardly game breaking. You say how easy it is to get from place to place, awsome, you have your routes planned out. Too bad the people returning after a long break, or new to leveling in the game don't have that same route, and need a little help getting around.
100 Blood Elf Priest
[quote]I was in Dalaran last night. And I go to Shattrath at least once a week to run dailies there. The Rokk won't give up the recipe for Chocolate Cake to me yet.

This could have been a simple "fix" by having the dailies in Org/SWD give a rare chance for the Cata/BC items to drop as well. I am also having to continually go back and forth for the recipes (and croc pets from fishing) and I really REALLY wish I didn't have to! lol
Thank you for the portals, now leveling my alts through that content wont feel like I have lost touch with the rest of the player base. thank you blizz.
86 Night Elf Death Knight
I always thought that the "We're removing the portals to make people go out and see the newly 'renovated' Azeroth" argument was pretty lame.
At least up til Cata, you would find more than 2 people in either Shat or Dal. With the release of Cata, both places should have been revamped with boarded up windows, cars on cinderblocks, and tumbleweeds blowing around. The Exodar and Silvermoon are almost to this Detroit-like stage, too, and IF, Darnassus, and the rest are pretty abandoned as well, it seems.
Simply put, the idea failed because once you get to 80, everyone hangs in Org or SW waiting for queues to pop or uses the Cata ports to get places, because it's just too much of a pain to go anywhere else. The only reason I travel outside SW (besides Cata quests) is because I have my engineering transporters, Argent Tourney tabard, and Death Gate to get at least close to wherever I want to go.
I am all for bringing the city portals back, and if they opened them up from capital-to-capital, all the better. You can already link from all cities anyway using boats, zeppelins, the Gnome-subway, etc, so why not just make it less of a time-waster so people can actually get to content and play. Rather than wasting my time waiting for a boat in SW to take me to Darnassus, then running to the temple and porting to the Exodar just so I can find some darn eggs, just put a port to the Exodar in SW.
And to keep the mages from QQing, let them also have portals to ALL the secondary cities once they get to them and are at the appropriate level so they still can make a bit of coin (maybe even have portal trainers at dungeon entrances to replace those relatively unused summoning stones?).
Edited by ßloodßath on 4/27/2011 10:02 AM PDT
100 Blood Elf Priest
Wait. Someone actually "charged" you for a portal? I'm sorry. Did I mention gratuity? aka "tips?" Let's make something clear- I, for one, NEVER charge anyone for ports, enchants, tailoring items, etc. A tip is something that is offered, not demanded. If a tip is offered, I might take it, depending on the circumstances. i.e. if I have to teleport myself back to SW from the middle of Zangarmarsh where I've been fishing for 10 minutes to port someone to Theramore... I'd hope they would be nice enough to offer up gratuity, but I would never charge for it.

If someone refuses to open a port for you until they're paid- my advice is find another mage, or take a boat. It's not work. It's not that hard and you're right- the stones are cheap. 10g is a pretty good tip, if you ask me. That's generous, but it would be silly to demand it from someone.

Good grief. If you're an Ally on my realm and you need a port, just ask. If I'm free, I'll do it if I can. No need to charge for it. geesh. Charging for portals gives mages a bad name. :)

Yay portals are back in the big cities in limited fashion. Hey, whatever gets you there. Just don't be hatin! At no point did Blizzard get a council of mages together to ban city portals in the first place. It was not, I repeat NOT a conspiracy.

While I, also, do not "charge" for portals - I do NOT begrudge ANY mage from placing a "fee" for services (or ANY other profession/class from charging for anything they do that interrupts their own gameplay for others). It's called "free enterprise" and those of us looking to "buy" (or "take" as is so often the case) can simply CHOOSE to pay their price or look elsewhere.
By belittling or criticizing those that do charge, we say that the time they took out of their OWN gameplay is worthless and should be given away free regardless.
It then becomes an "entitlement" society - which is despicable in game or out - and everyone - EVERYONE - should be free to buy or sell or give away as they so CHOOSE without being told to do otherwise, or even slammed for doing so.
We are free to buy on the AH at any price the seller chooses to post... or not buy.
The same with services.
MANY do the service for "free" - taking time away from their own gameplay to help others out (while hoping for a small fee for their trouble)... and MANY take advantage of that by not paying anything most of the time.
But it is absolutely OKAY for someone to set a price and charge for anything they can do in game. Because you are free to choose whether to pay it or not.
Don't belittle enterprise and trade... NO ONE should be "entitled" to someone else's goods/time/money for nothing if they don't choose to give it away.
85 Night Elf Mage
While I, also, do not "charge" for portals - I do NOT begrudge ANY mage from placing a "fee" for services (or ANY other profession/class from charging for anything they do that interrupts their own gameplay for others). It's called "free enterprise" and those of us looking to "buy" (or "take" as is so often the case) can simply CHOOSE to pay their price or look elsewhere.
By belittling or criticizing those that do charge, we say that the time they took out of their OWN gameplay is worthless and should be given away free regardless.
It then becomes an "entitlement" society - which is despicable in game or out - and everyone - EVERYONE - should be free to buy or sell or give away as they so CHOOSE without being told to do otherwise, or even slammed for doing so.
We are free to buy on the AH at any price the seller chooses to post... or not buy.
The same with services.
MANY do the service for "free" - taking time away from their own gameplay to help others out (while hoping for a small fee for their trouble)... and MANY take advantage of that by not paying anything most of the time.
But it is absolutely OKAY for someone to set a price and charge for anything they can do in game. Because you are free to choose whether to pay it or not.
Don't belittle enterprise and trade... NO ONE should be "entitled" to someone else's goods/time/money for nothing if they don't choose to give it away.

Whoa. Ease up a bit. I wasn't trying to belittle anyone. I'm sorry if you took it that way.

I have no issues with you or anyone else charging whatever you think is a fair price for whatever services. Please do. Likewise, the buyer has a right to refuse. The person in question was mad over what he was being charged and taking it out on our whole class. Not all mages charge for everything.

Let's separate fantasy from reality for a moment. While my time is valuable to me, I'm here to have fun. I would likewise hope, given that it's an MMO, that other people are here to do the same. If using one of my character's class abilities will help someone else out, and it keeps them from spamming Trade chat for half an hour, why not do it? It's a game. If I had real money tied up in my character's gold (which is VERY against the rules) maybe it would be different. I don't mind donating time, mats and effort to make the game fun for others. I can always go out and earn more gold.

That said, I don't like being taken for granted and if someone was to start acting all "entitled," I might have to refuse to open a portal. Likewise, I expect people to have mats ready when they ask for an enchant or Embersilk bags. If you're 3 Hypnotic Dust short, it's not a major deal. I would definitely ask for some compensation if there were BoP Orbs involved (not that it's my concern currently...) And you probably should charge for using BoP Orbs, because those take considerable time and effort to obtain.

I don't begrudge anyone charging for services. But we don't have to. It's a choice. Mage ports are just part of the game. It's fun for mages to cast spells, right?

All I'm trying to say to the OP and others is: Yay. Portals to a couple of cities are back. Don't forget, kindly mages can still help you get around. Have fun.
Edited by Seylia on 4/27/2011 10:32 AM PDT
80 Human Priest
04/27/2011 01:26 AMPosted by Bashiok
One that still exists, at least for me, is bag clutter. I'll log into alts, look at my bags and bank, and be so overwhelmed I'll log out

Happens quite often to me :(
For my part - thank you Blizzard for bringing them back!
90 Draenei Death Knight
Awesome! This rocks! Thanks for listening to your players, Blizzard!

:-)
90 Troll Priest
The portals are back??
WOOT!
Goodbye Orgrimmar, hello Dalaran!
I hope it IS still a ghost town... I'm so sick of crowds...
04/27/2011 09:14 AMPosted by Hollyberry
I'd rather see the whole hearthstone system revamped. We should be rewarded with hearthstones to major cities/hubs, once we clear the content, that way, we could hearth to Org, Shatt, Dalaran, and whatever else comes in the future, once we've been through the content, and new players won't be able to world hop.

Yes! I've said this before myself and I completely agree. Once you've traveled someplace a dozen times, what are you gaining by taking forever to get there every single additional time?

As to the thread itself, I am extremely thankful for the return of even a few portals. It'd be great if we could get them all back (or change to the idea above) but I'll happily take what I can get. Hooray!
You can already link from all cities anyway using boats, zeppelins, the Gnome-subway, etc, so why not just make it less of a time-waster so people can actually get to content and play. Rather than wasting my time waiting for a boat in SW to take me to Darnassus, then running to the temple and porting to the Exodar just so I can find some darn eggs, just put a port to the Exodar in SW.

Agreed.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]