GetPlayerMapPosition broken in 4.1

- Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
it seems GetPlayerMapPosition() returns 0,0 for anything other then player, this results in map not displaying party members, only self, as well as any addons using it also not to work, such as range finders. Seems like a shortsighted break, or intentional one aimed at boss mods using it for complex range finders or arrow functions. But I'm hoping it's not latter. I'd hope blizz would add their own range finder before breaking mods that do it, especially since so many encounters are designed around the assumption of having one.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Hm...this would explain why my BigWigs rangefinder wasn't working for Maloriak last night.

Oddly enough, I did notice it working outside of the boss fight. Maybe it's just not returning values when in combat? If so, that seems like pretty blatant intent to break range-finding addons.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Yes I noticed this exact same thing as well and my guildies did too. In BWD25, I could see only myself on the world map (no map addons) and both my range clustering and range arrows either did not work or worked very sporadically.
It was fine in SW and in ZG/ZA. Maybe it has something to do with inside/outside (ie. mountable areas)?
Edited by Sedivy on 4/28/2011 12:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
well i tested it, it worked in ruby sanctum, it did not in BWD or BoT. Ruby sanctum is a mountable area though. interesting thought. your theory could have merit
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Does it work outside the instance(s)? If yes, then it was likely done on purpose.

<<Your face got palmed.>>
www.wowpedia.org/User:Egingell
wow.curse.com/members/egingell.aspx
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Yes it seems to. But it also works in some instances. The ones you can mount in (I haven't tested every instance so this isn't for sure).
So I'm not sure why they'd on purpose exclude instances based on whether you can mount in them or not. Doesn't make sense.
Edited by Sedivy on 4/28/2011 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I use KLE, so I don't know how much this will help you.

Tuesday, on our raid in BWD:

• Entered the room of Chimaeron
  • KLE correctly opened range finder
  • ONLY showed the player's range that I had targeted first
  • When I would target someone else, still only showed the same person

I'll try raiding tonight with DBM to see if I can help you any.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
i don't think mod preference has anythin to do with it, it's basically whoever you can see on actual in game map. just open map should have same results. when you open blizz map it just does GetPlayerMapPosition("raid"..i), which is equally as broken
Edited by Omegal on 4/28/2011 2:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
This is getting pretty interesting. Really though, I'm kinda leaning towards this being a bug. I mean why would they choose now to break range finders? They've been around for years with nothing done. What would make now any different?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
It isn't inside/outside either. This looks like a bug now. I'm sitting in Cho'gall's room and for half the raid members, blips, for no discernible reason do not show on the map. But others do show up just fine. Range finders work fine on those, but on those without blips it does not work.
Edited by Sedivy on 4/28/2011 6:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
04/28/2011 06:05 PMPosted by Sedivy
It isn't inside/outside either. This looks like a bug now. I'm sitting in Cho'gall's room and for half the raid members, blips, for no discernible reason do not show on the map. But others do show up just fine. Range finders work fine on those, but on those without blips it does not work.

I'm having a similar issue in Atramedes' room tonight.

Would be nice to get a blue on this, just so we know what's up.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
I'm sure it's a bug... Though addons could always go back to the old way of doing range checking...
Reply Quote
85 Troll Mage
If they were going to break this, they would've done it over a year ago when DXE's arrow came out, and especially when AVR combined map coordinates with camera information. But when they broke AVR they chose only to break the camera part and left the player coordinates. I'd actually complained and asked for the coordinates removed. :P I don't think they'll ever do it.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Warrior
04/28/2011 07:17 PMPosted by Tseerah
I'm sure it's a bug... Though addons could always go back to the old way of doing range checking...

addons still support that for 10 11 15 and 28..the problem is blizzad uses so many other numbers now. Doing range 10 on 25 man chimereon is a lot les inefficent then range 6 since it's a 6 yard spell. it puts more poeple out of range of certain healers, etc, we still managed to kill it on heroic with range 10, but it was by no means as efficent. Basically now you have to go over spell ranges to be certain. if it's a 12 yard spell, gotta use a 15 yard range finder. i remember saurfang with 15 yard check, you actualy didn't have enough room without stacking, with 12, you did. reason i suspect this is a bug is from their own ansswers on Q&A

Q: Some Addons are so powerful they simplified the game content to a degree (e.g., boss fights). Do you think that when the majority are using these Addons, the original reasoning behind the game design is violated? And isn’t it unfair for players who don’t use Addons? - 冷影幽光 (Taiwan)
A: This really deserves a long answer. It sounds like a good topic for a future developer blog. To tide you over until then, we can say that some addons do a great job of providing information we really should be providing (and have long-term plans to provide).This includes information like threat, the distance you are from other players

so it seems odd they'd deliberately break that specific function when they themselves feel it should be there.
Edited by Omegal on 4/28/2011 9:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Wow, nice find on the dev quote Omegal. Thanks for the info...helps this terribad healer breathe easier at night. (lol)
Reply Quote
I've noticed intermittent behaviour in battlegrounds and Wintergrasp too (haven't tried TB). Sometimes teammates' dots didn't appear at all, sometimes some of the team would fail to show. In one AB game I did, for example, we had a duo who did a great job staying on one of the flags, but at one point their dots didn't show at all and I thought they'd left.
Edited by Letsy on 4/29/2011 4:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
It is really bizarre, seems to work half the time, then it won't work at all. Too me it seems really random, I've had Chimearon pulls where dbm rangefinder will beep at me constantly, then next time I don't hear a peep from it, even if i stand right on top of someone :(
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Yeah bwd was terrible with this tonight. I could barely get any range or clustering info. Majority of the time none of the raid blips were up on the maps.
Reply Quote
Community Manager
This is a known bug and should be fixed in the next patch.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Yay! Ty for the news.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]