Elemental Shaman Help - DPS Seems Low

85 Draenei Shaman
Hi!

I am writing because I am curious if our guild's Ele shaman is playing to her full potential (I am resto so dont really know dps)

She normally does like 15k or so dps on bosses, while some of our other dps are pushing the high teens.

I understand that Ele shamans might not be the highest dps class at the moment, but am curious if anyone has any pointers regarding rotation/spells cast/spec/glyphs/enchants etc.

Please see the armory below:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/lightbringer/emalissa/simple

Please see a WOL report below:

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-od6do9p7sh45i76o/sum/damageDone/

Any helpful tips would be most appreciated!! If you have any questions please feel free to post.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Ur not hit capped and you are reforging some mastery into haste. Those are the 2 best stats for us (other then int) and if you have a piece with mastery/haste you probably shouldn't reforge anything. But getting hit capped will help.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
04/22/2011 02:33 PMPosted by Kaboodle
Ur not hit capped and you are reforging some mastery into haste. Those are the 2 best stats for us (other then int) and if you have a piece with mastery/haste you probably shouldn't reforge anything. But getting hit capped will help.

If you look at Emalissa's armory she has 15.93% hit. That's not including the draenei passive 1% hit, so she is just shy of the cap. It's not really the issue.

Depending on fight and what she is doing depends on her DPS. I really don't know how to navigate WoL as I really don't use it that much.

I am the guild mechanic *!@!@. Interrupts, jumping on magmaw, dispels...etc. I do it all so my dps is always lower than most of the raid. I use stopcasting macros for purge and wind shear which greatly affects my dps. If you're making your ele shaman do the same then it stands to reason that her dps will also be lower.

However, on fights like chimearon I can really be competitive.

Everything gearwise checks out fine other than the reforging mastery to haste thing, which is kind of a debate going on between most shamans. If anything mastery to haste reforging is a minuscule DPS increase that you won't really notice.

You can always have her to refer to the guide to check to make sure everything she is doing is right.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Hey,

Thanks for the responses so far.

She is normally not on interrupts, we have our enhancement shaman do that at the moment.

Just trying to see if 15K on most fights is generally good for Ele shamans, and if not, any areas for improvement.

For example, on Chogall 25M, she did ~13.7K dps (we are having her help on the little adds so maybe that lowers her dps) with her spells in terms of damage being:

1. Lightning Bolt
2. Lava burst
3. Flame Shock

Here is the Logs: http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-od6do9p7sh45i76o/sum/damageDone/?s=5207&e=5668

She doesn't seem to be using unleash elements that much, is that critical for DPS shamans?

Thanks again!
Edited by Boboguysham on 4/22/2011 6:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Things that jump out me from the (Using V&T as an example here) logs:

1) Not enough Lava Burst casts. 25 Lava Bursts in a 4:56 fight is rather low. The minimum expected value if you gain 0 lava bursts from the Lava Surge is 36.

2) Too many Flame Shock casts. In a 4:56 fight with 3 target switches (at least I think 3, 5 minutes seems like enough to get to a 2nd Theralion phase, not 100% sure though) you should get 14 casts maximum.

3) 0 Spiritwalker's Grace casts. There's more than enough movement in this fight for you to cast it twice and use the majority of the uptime.

4) 0 Unleash Flame casts. You only use it when you move, and V&T has enough movement for you to use it quite often.

5) Not enough overall casts. Unless you're spending over 1/3 of the encounter moving and doing nothing about it you shouldn't have this few casts.

6) Poor use of Fire Elemental. It was alive for maybe a second. Use him when he won't either be immediately killed (which I'd imagine would only be by a boss on the pull, but even that doesn't make sense) or when he'll go and be stupid.

Basically, for V&T, place it almost on top of Valiona as soon as your SP procs are all rolling at the beginning of a fight and you should get a good 80-85 seconds out of it before Valiona lifts off and he just sits there and stares at him.

Overall issues seem to be:

1) Not managing movement well (if Ema's managing it at all.)
2) Not tracking LvB cooldown
3) Poor FE usage.

I can do more fights if you want, and I'd be willing to bet there may be other issues as well (possibilities are poor FS uptime and poor management of LS stacks.)

Edit: Editing to underline that I used V&T and not Cho'gall. I can do Cho'gall too if you really want me to.
Edited by Gistwiki on 4/22/2011 7:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
-
Edited by Coralin on 1/22/2014 4:46 PM PST
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Gistwiki,

Thank you very much for your response!!

If you would be so kind to do chogall as well that would be fantastic.

I found your post to be very helpful!

Reply Quote
85 Troll Shaman
04/22/2011 03:53 PMPosted by Ukaa
Liax, isn't there some compromise for interrupts in your guild? Like, it's obvious that melee lose a ton less DPS by interrupting (rebuke, kick, mind freeze, enhancement wind shear, skull bash, pummel, etc) and wouldn't the overall damage be better?

I'm the most reliable because I'm ranged, and because wind shear is a 6 second CD.

If I was in a 25man I wouldn't be interrupting as much.

But on Maloriak, for example, when the melee (and we only have one btw) might be on adds during green phase and they can't get it as easily.

However our DK is doing maloriak adds while I get arcane storm.

The other interrupts we have is a healer shaman (who kind of is replaced with a pally now since he's bored of raiding) and a mage with a long CD on his interrupt.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Bump, if there is any additional advice I would really appreciate it!

Thanks to everyone that has responded so far and happy Easter!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Gistwiki,

Thank you very much for your response!!

If you would be so kind to do chogall as well that would be fantastic.

I found your post to be very helpful!

What jumped out at me on Cho'gall:

1) Poor Fire Elemental use. For your guild that fight is long enough that Em will get a dps boost out of using Glyph of Fire Elemental over Glyph of Flame Shock (if Em's uncomfortable with an 18 second flame shock, have them drop Lava Burst instead.) In the fight you linked Em only got 1 minute 14 seconds of uptime, and he was only doin 4500 dps while he was up. This tells me that Em isn't lining spellpower procs up (Lightweave, Volcano, and a Volcanic Pot) to boost the damage of the Fire Elemental.

2) Very poor overall Fire Totem uptime. 460 seconds of fight, 156.3 seconds of Fire Totem uptime. Your Fire Totem is your #1 dps priority. Keep it up 100% of the time.

3) Poor personal uptime. Emalissa was alive the entire fight (460 seconds) but was only actively dpsing for 93% of it (427 seconds?) Did they d/c for a portion of it?

4) Poor Flame Shock uptime. 74% is unacceptably low.

5) Not enough Lava Bursts. 33 casts, with an expected minimum cast # of 56 (knock that down to ~50 for blood dpsing)

6) Not casting Lava Burst on targets with Flame Shock. 5 Non-crits? I get 1 or maybe 2, but 5? That hurts.

7) Wasted Lightning Shield charges. 13 Fulmination casts, 91 LS charges gained. That means that at an absolute minimum 13 charges were wasted. Could be more though.

8) Repeat #3, #4, and #5 from the V&T parse

9) No Chain Lightning Casts. EQ is a waste on the first round of bloods and on the tentacles in P2. Chain Lightning is great however.

Overall issues seem to be:

1) Repeat issues from the V&T parse
2) Poor management of shocks
3) Poor management of Fire Totems overall
4) Not actually hitting your buttons 100% of the time

Hope that helps :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]