Recount: Is it accurate?

I'm not quite sure here, but I'm getting really random results with recount. One random instance, I'm seeing a hunter with blues and greens showing up at 10k DPS on recount, and myself at around 8500 DPS arcane. Next moment, I'm shooting 13k DPS at a random moment (we're in Halls of Origination), and then dipping back down to 9k.

I can't trust these numbers at all, it seems. Other counters have been more accurate as far as I could tell.

Anyone recommend a different type of DPS counter addon? The results I'm getting are far too random to tell me if my rotation or spell combations are correct or not.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Both Recount and Skada are reasonably accurate when it comes to your DPS.
Reply Quote
56 Worgen Death Knight
Skada
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Recount is fine.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
DPS itself is random. You deal damage within a range. Default tool-tips show your average. You can toggle them to display min and max range.

It also varies from encounter to encounter for different classes.

Then factor in crits, misses, etc. There are many variables that result in wide range DPS variations.
Edited by Rhosyn on 4/23/2011 6:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
I don't know if I can trust recount. Maybe I have it configured incorrectly, but after talking with some people I ran with in WotLK, I did 2k more dps than my own recount showed for some reason, as a petless class to boot.

So I dunno what the deal with it is. I generally just use it to see if I'm really slacking or whatever, not as a personal measurement tool.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I find skada inaccurate. recount is fine to me.
Reply Quote
80 Undead Warlock
It's always within 100 dps of where it should be, so yes, it's very close.
Edited by Britneyfears on 4/23/2011 6:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Hunter
The thing with damage meters is that they tend to only start recording when you enter combat, as a result if you are using it to compare with other people in a group then you might find that not everyones recount or skada will show the same dps/damage done but in terms of accuracy they are rather good at showing an average dps over a period of time.

If you want to see how well your dps is on a target dummy then you may need to do 10mins of constant dps to get a good sense of your average dps on long fights. Not just your burst damage while you have cooldowns and such.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Rogue
I don't know if I can trust recount. Maybe I have it configured incorrectly, but after talking with some people I ran with in WotLK, I did 2k more dps than my own recount showed for some reason, as a petless class to boot.

So I dunno what the deal with it is. I generally just use it to see if I'm really slacking or whatever, not as a personal measurement tool.

Recount likes to share data between other recount users I believe, which makes for more average results. If you were getting completely outlying numbers, then you were probably looking at the wrong data, or a bug happened on your end. From my experience, Recount is very accurate.

And DPS will never be completely predictable. Factor in parries(doingitwrong)/dodges/blocks/misses, crit chance, the fact that damage is done in a range and not a set number, all of the other factors such as mechanics in the individual encounters, etc, you can get huge ranges from the same person in just one dungeon.

A good player in crap gear can do amazing DPS. A bad player in awesome gear could do crap DPS. If you blow your load on the boss 2 seconds after you pull, you can do some ridiculous amount of DPS, and still do almost no damage because you died right away. Not sure if they fixed it or not, but I know before once you died and all of your dots are off the table, your DPS stays unmodified for the rest of the fight. So, like I said before, go nuts on the boss and die immediately could yield you some insanely high numbers that nobody else can catch up on.

Besides, what matters anyway is damage done. I don't care if you can do 15k DPS but still can't do more than the tank, you're useless.
Reply Quote
my numbers look teirble if the fight is to short.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Priest
04/23/2011 06:54 PMPosted by Nork
Besides, what matters anyway is damage done. I don't care if you can do 15k DPS but still can't do more than the tank, you're useless.

Exactly, I have my data tab set to damage done instead of DPS these days. Granted sometimes tanks still outdo me (thank you no CC and vengeance!), it's a better measure of a player who's good at their class rather than good at smashing their face on the keyboard at the start of a fight.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Shaman
Recount can be off anywhere from 200 to 3k dps at any given time. That's quoted by the creators back in wrath. If its gotten better with updates since then IDK. But that's what they said.

It's very dependent on how close you are to other people. It does have a range on it.. and it's not huge. It also depends on latency and what not.

it's not TOTALLY accurate, but its fair id say.
Reply Quote
Recount makes absolutely no sense to me.

Really wish they'd build in an ingame feature for feedback on DPS.
Reply Quote
45 Troll Mage
You have to keep in mind... recount counts from when you reset your numbers. Some people rest their recount if there's a drop in the party or they just do it because they want to see more recent numbers without looking at an individual fight. Sometimes, my recount numbers are dead on with someone else that posts it, but sometimes it's off... most likely because we both started our counters at different times. Individual fights, on the other hand, are almost always the same as mine when someone else posts it in party chat.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the feedback.

One thing that I have noticed are huge network issues on my side (thanks, Comcrap), having lag spikes as high as 2200ms, which, of course, can also mess with DPS counters.

I'll check the mage class forums for DPS tips and rotation and what not, try to see what I can do to average higher numbers.

My ultimate goal is to achieve as high of DPS possible for the classes I use, Frost and Arcane, depending on what the group wants, not necessarily trying to be the best of any class (this is impossible.)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]