Why is research required for this game?

70 Blood Elf Priest
Why do people just dismiss others by saying "look it up on wowhead/mmo-champion/wowwiki/elitest jerks/etc"? I've played many other MMOs before and they didn't need "research" as you people put it like WoW supposedly does. And they were still fun. Phantasy Star Online is still going on after 10 years without any expansions or updates and people still enjoy it and they don't need to research a bunch of stuff for encounters and so forth.

So please, I think we are going in the wrong direction if the pre-requisite to playing WoW is akin to studying for a test at uni.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
You don't really need to research much these days to just play. It is only required for min/maxing.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Hunter
I see what your saying. I have several friends that play with me. They refuse to research anything. I'm the guy that sits pouring over guides and what not in my downtime. So they come to me with ever little question. Gets a bit annoying.

Yet, if you want to not suck it is what it is. You have to read up on things.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Death Knight
it doesn't require research to play.

it does require research to excel though unless you are able to figure out all the mechanics of fights, of class stat priorities, and are able to theory-craft on your own.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Priest
You don't HAVE to research. You could like, y'know, wipe countless times on those bosses and learn the fights that way like how the original writers of those guides did.
Reply Quote
78 Goblin Rogue
You don't needa' research the game to do any part of it, provided you meet up wit' players who don't require it of you.

Yeah, it helps a whole lot, but you can do stuff the old fashioned way. I ain't seen an encounter that's harder to pull off than, say, Bertoxxulous or Coirnav in EQ:PoP in six years of playin', and we did all that stuff without readin' spoilers or cribbin' strats off other people.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'm getting sick and tired of people queuing for ZB and ZA and not even looking up the fights. So now you find yourself having 100-200g repair bill because someone was too lazy to open up their browser and google the fights.

Whoever doesn't do research does not only affect their performance, it affect the outcome of the party/raid.
Reply Quote
84 Night Elf Druid
04/28/2011 11:11 AMPosted by Bubbajoe
You don't really need to research much these days to just play. It is only required for min/maxing.

^.

It's possible to do everything, up to and inlcuding all normal mode raid bosses (and possibly heroics) without looking it up. It'll just take you longer, and be a bit harder.

The wow community is larger, hence more people to work the math out, and streamline it into sites like EJ/mmo. That's all. And people like the "easy" way out by looking it up instead of working it out.
Reply Quote
04/28/2011 11:09 AMPosted by Lourdes
I've played many other MMOs before and they didn't need "research"

Name them.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
04/28/2011 11:09 AMPosted by Lourdes
Why do people just dismiss others by saying "look it up on wowhead/mmo-champion/wowwiki/elitest jerks/etc"?

Asking me what stats you need is research, and no different than going to EJ other than the fact that when I answer, I will omit some details I feel aren't quite as important. This means you are better served by going to theorycrafting sites if you want to know what the community at large thinks is true.

However, treat these sites as opinion/concensus data, and not necessarily the complete truth. A lot of times, ideal stats are situational.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Anyone is perfectly welcome to figure out the mechanics of the fight themselves, it's simply going to take longer figuring out the strat through trial and error than if you did some research. This isn't really a new concept, either. Take Street Fighter. You could learn how to play any one character simply through trial and error, but it's faster to ask someone more experienced to teach you what the main moves, combos, and basic strategies are.

And what does the Op mean 'going in the wrong direction'? WoW has always been on this path.
Reply Quote
37 Orc Hunter
Hmm yes clearly the devs need to model this game after Phantasy Star Online
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter
Don' worreh, they're adding Wowhead to the game, basically.

Reply Quote
90 Gnome Rogue
To add to my earlier post, and to elaborate on the "these days" - in the past, such research was somewhat required for caps such as hit, expertise, and to some extent crit. The first two have been resolved with the new character sheet information, and the latter is not yet an issue.

My earlier post also forgot about boss/instance mechanics, but others covered that - you can still learn them the old fashioned way. Similarly for character mechanics.
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Shaman
Depends on the level of research your asking about.

Exact rating => point conversion? Look it up. Your at that level. However, until you reach this stage, you just need to know how to mouse over a stat in the character window - make it as close to 0% as possible, your golden.

Best talent build? Look it up. It'll take too long for me to tell you every talent to take.

Rotation? easier if you look it up, as these days there's a lot of "do this when.." stuff.

Items in an instance? Look it up. Too large. You can get in game loot browsers which do the job, and don't require me to link every single item to you.

Boss strats? This is mostly because seeing the fight makes it a lot easier to understand. This is a needed for raiding(and I'd say ZA/ZG right now too) because there is so much going on, reading it all is overwhelming - you will forget most of what you're told. In leveling content it's pretty easy to say "Kill adds, then boss". You'll find most people hate answering this question because you tell someone this, then they just sit on the boss all fight. Heroics, you can do it a few times on normal, then spend 30 seconds on wowhead to see the new heroic additions and your set.

Frankly, research isn't required to play - it's required to not to make everyone else's life harder because you still won't listen after we explain it to you.

The games you're thinking off aren't as complex or involved as wow, either - guarantee it. I wouldn't expect someone to study for a primary school test, but uni? Sure. Study that stuff like it's a paladin on nerf day: TO THE GROUND! Remember relativity before drawing comparisons(If you'd studied more in math... /cackle).
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Basically so you dont get your group wiped in a dungeon or raid a lot of times
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
Research is optional. It's not required.
And to be honest, this is not the only game that takes research to improve game performance....
I can think of a few right now, actually.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
04/28/2011 11:16 AMPosted by Manzarrek
You don't needa' research the game to do any part of it, provided you meet up wit' players who don't require it of you.

This is pretty much why you have to ask the question. If you're playing with friends or guild members, you guys can go do whatever you want. If you queue for ZG and land in a group of 4 people who have cleared it and wipe the group because you stood completely still when toxic linked and are mad that they're telling you to learn the fight?

LFD is not your personal playground. It matches you with 4 other actual players across other servers. The majority expectation of LFD is that you know how to play your class and to know the fights, whether that means having looked them up or having cleared them. In other words, guilds and friends are for learning fights, LFD PUGs are for clearing dungeons fast.

What you have to remember when queuing in LFD is that the people there expect to clear what they're doing and most of them want to faceroll it. If they've already done ZG or ZA, then they're progressed past that content and they resent wiping on it constantly, not because there's someone who hasn't been there before but because that person didn't bother to learn anything at all about it. It might be fun for you to learn new bosses by doing them, but the other people in that group aren't there to learn it.

guilds and friends are for learning fights, LFD PUGs are for clearing dungeons fast
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]