Why is research required for this game?

Wait, what mmo doesn't require research. I've played a lot of them, and every single one needs it if you want to succede at the game.

Just so I don't post a huge list, I'll give a small one: UO, EQ, RO, SK, GW, RS...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Death Knight
04/28/2011 11:15 AMPosted by Kaletha
You don't HAVE to research. You could like, y'know, wipe countless times on those bosses and learn the fights that way like how the original writers of those guides did.

This.

The game design does not require any research. Everything can be learned by just playing the game and learning from how things go as you try different things.

Those who wrote all those "guides" you see on other web sites did this.

Players may yell at you for not doing research but that is a player thing, not a game design thing.

Everything in game can be learned from within the game or from official Blizz posted information.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
I think I understand what the OP is asking. Key word being "think"...

WoW is a pretty complex and well developed game. There are many stats associated with each class... there are primary and secondary stats... there are many abilities associated with each class, etc. Fair amount of math in terms of how they relate to each other and affect each other. Different boss abilities that are affected by different player abilities, etc.

People LIKE that. It's part of what keeps some of us interested in the game. Part of what is fun in a video game is that it occupies your brain, and gives you something to work on and puzzle over. And since things are always changing (/eyetwitch) you always have something new to think about (to a point, anyway).

The other part of the answer is this - Blizz has got a pretty good deal going for itself. They don't really have to document much of anything in their game (even the tooltips are incorrect or out of date a lot of the time). Other sites go and do it for them, and then they do countless hours of testing and lots of math to figure out how exactly the game works. So instead of having actual in-game documentation, you have an extensive collection of add-ons and also external sites (aka research).
Reply Quote
it doesn't require research to play.

it does require research to excel though unless you are able to figure out all the mechanics of fights, of class stat priorities, and are able to theory-craft on your own.

This.

BTW - ALL of this stuff is optional. Don't like to research? Don't do it. Just expect to wipe a lot if you're doing the harder content.

And if this isn't for you, there is always Phantasy Star.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
guides and online stuff are there for the people who dont want 10+wipes in an attempt to "learn" the instance. Doing research isnt required but it will save a lot of time/wipes. For instance if you do a raid, and raiders have looked up guides before hand, your raid will be more repaired and we have better succession results. On the other hand, 1 person could do it and then start explaining the fight in ten minutes....leading to people getting bored and premature pulls which cause wipe. Research b4 hand doesnt guarantee a win, and is not required..but it sure helps.
Reply Quote
57 Draenei Death Knight
Playing OK just takes a brain and the time to read the tooltips on your abilities and stats. Playing optimally requires the research you described. Not dying is just a matter of awareness, and you can learn the fights through a wipe or two just fine if need be.

People like to send others to those resources because you can ultimately be told what to do, if reading the tooltips is hard. Blizzard has made the general operation of a class easy, and it's practically outlined for you in your talents what buttons you should press to do what.

If you consider any of this as complicated as studying for a test, god help you.
Edited by Lacorna on 4/28/2011 12:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Research is optional. It's not required.
And to be honest, this is not the only game that takes research to improve game performance....
I can think of a few right now, actually.

Everquest... *shiver*
Reply Quote
Every game requires lernin'

That's the joke.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
this reminds me of my teenage son....

Dad says... I am here to help you, just ask... I will explain. (wowhead/youtube)

Son says... I don't need the lecture, I'll figure it out myself. (original poster)

because you refuse to cooperate, take advice from those who have experience, conform to the norm, and keep messing everything up. EVERYONE considers you a failure. (WoW PuG)

Reply Quote
Community Manager
If you want to reach the maximum potential of your class, sure, there are number crunchers out there who will tell you the best talent and stat choices to make, spell/ability rotations, etc. But the information you need to be successful in your role is really all in the game. We've gone to great lengths to ensure things are clear enough that you can make some meaningful choices for your character's power on your own, and still have a great shot at catching onto what makes you excel.

If you're speaking at all about boss encounters, I think you'll dig the Dungeon Journal (formerly referred to as Encounter Journal) coming in patch 4.2. Once we're able to catalog more of our dungeons in this journal, you'll get a lot of essential information for each boss fight. It's not going to tell you how to beat the fight, but it's going to tell you what kind of abilities the boss will be using against you. You'll just have to figure out with your party or raid how to deal with those abilities when they're used. Dungeon Journal will also help you find the loot you're looking for from each boss ahead of time, so you have items in mind you hope to get before even setting foot in the dungeon.

Why do people just dismiss others by saying "look it up on wowhead/mmo-champion/wowwiki/elitest jerks/etc"? I've played many other MMOs before and they didn't need "research" as you people put it like WoW supposedly does. And they were still fun. Phantasy Star Online is still going on after 10 years without any expansions or updates and people still enjoy it and they don't need to research a bunch of stuff for encounters and so forth.

So please, I think we are going in the wrong direction if the pre-requisite to playing WoW is akin to studying for a test at uni.

Thank you.
Reply Quote
04/28/2011 11:09 AMPosted by Lourdes
So please, I think we are going in the wrong direction if the pre-requisite to playing WoW is akin to studying for a test at uni.

You don't need to research anything, but if you can't get a descent guild because your DK is loaded with int, spirit and spell power, then don't complain.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
It's not really research, it's just a few minutes of reading and some judgments based on what you read vs your own experience. You pick up the basics naturally for the most part and outside sources just help you sharpen that to a level good enough to participate in a end game heroic/raid.

If you're skilled you can pick it all up yourself, but since not many possess that level of ability there's mountains of info just waiting to be given a glance. The mark of a good player is a desire to improve and if people find reading something easily found and taking less then 10 minutes to improve their play then well, they deserve to flounder a bit.
Edited by Cogspoke on 4/28/2011 12:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
I'm not really sure what the problem is. You can learn to play any class in maybe 10-15 minutes, by reading a guide and then trying the rotation at the dummy. Of course practice will make you better, but the research part of it takes hardly any time at all.

Other people have already done the work for you in writing some really helpful guides. You have nothing to complain about, just do what's written in the guide.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
04/28/2011 12:25 PMPosted by Zarhym
If you're speaking at all about boss encounters, I think you'll dig the Dungeon Journal (formerly referred to as Encounter Journal) coming in patch 4.2. Once we're able to catalog more of our dungeons in this journal, you'll get a lot of essential information for each boss fight. It's not going to tell you how to beat the fight, but it's going to tell you what kind of abilities the boss will be using against you. You'll just have to figure out with your party or raid how to deal with those abilities when they're used. Dungeon Journal will also help you find the loot you're looking for from each boss ahead of time, so you have items in mind you hope to get before even setting foot in the dungeon.

that would be really cool to have. I would honestly prefer making up a strategy on my own with my guild than having everyone watch a video and copying it. It might increase the wipes, but then I would feel like i am solving a puzzle. Under the current system I don't get that feeling just because the boss mechanics come at me too fast to catch them all, so I look up videos that list what they are.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
INC
If you want to reach the maximum potential of your class, sure, there are number crunchers out there who will tell you the best talent and stat choices to make, spell/ability rotations, etc. But the information you need to be successful in your role is really all in the game. We've gone to great lengths to ensure things are clear enough that you can make some meaningful choices for your character's power on your own, and still have a great shot at catching onto what makes you excel.

Why do people just dismiss others by saying "look it up on wowhead/mmo-champion/wowwiki/elitest jerks/etc"? I've played many other MMOs before and they didn't need "research" as you people put it like WoW supposedly does. And they were still fun. Phantasy Star Online is still going on after 10 years without any expansions or updates and people still enjoy it and they don't need to research a bunch of stuff for encounters and so forth.

Thank you.

I am sure you get this all the time Zarhym, but it is really difficult to read your posts and not pretend like your avatar is talking to us.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Dungeon Journal do want.

I can't wait for the day I can tell someone to RTF-DJ
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]