Why is research required for this game?

90 Undead Warlock
If you want to reach the maximum potential of your class, sure, there are number crunchers out there who will tell you the best talent and stat choices to make, spell/ability rotations, etc. But the information you need to be successful in your role is really all in the game. We've gone to great lengths to ensure things are clear enough that you can make some meaningful choices for your character's power on your own, and still have a great shot at catching onto what makes you excel.

If you're speaking at all about boss encounters, I think you'll dig the Dungeon Journal (formerly referred to as Encounter Journal) coming in patch 4.2. Once we're able to catalog more of our dungeons in this journal, you'll get a lot of essential information for each boss fight. It's not going to tell you how to beat the fight, but it's going to tell you what kind of abilities the boss will be using against you. You'll just have to figure out with your party or raid how to deal with those abilities when they're used. Dungeon Journal will also help you find the loot you're looking for from each boss ahead of time, so you have items in mind you hope to get before even setting foot in the dungeon.

One major flaw, no one will read it and then blame you guys for not writing a good enough guide. I can imagine the situation now. "Dungeon boss fight. Let's see. TWO PARAGRAPHS?! Only elitists read that, let's just pull." At least It'll make it so there's no excuse to fail on a boss, and I can rage as much as a want at a failed PuG, (I never PuG since they're so failtacular, but if this dungeon guide comes out, then I might just have give a try to see how many people still can't do the fights even when they're having the hands held by you guys.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Druid
This was a very hot topic for me in the EU forums for a long time. Eventually I gave up because every thread where I posted about this issue would inevitably reach the post limit and end up with people bickering about things that had nothing to do with the subject.

What I think the original poster is talking about is the requirement to read about content before attempting. It's an extremely explicit requirement for guilds, and I personally think that it degrades the quality of the experience a lot because the most important aspect for me in games is the learning experience.

You do not need to read up on every encounter prior to going in and learning it. Most guilds that raid will say you have to because they do not want to waste their raid time explaining basic mechanics. In my close knit circle of friends on WoW we've never been the ones to use excessive mods or read up on strats. Our approach is that we're all capable players and intelligent enough to pay attention to our surroundings and debuffs/buffs. You pull the boss pay attention to what is happening then dig a bit through your combat logs go and pull again. Progressively while putting in attempts on the boss you fine tune your approach based on the skills you see used by the boss and the effects of abilities.

Realistically, research and mods are not a requirement to play or raid in this game. They help but if you're capable and good at adapting you will be able to learn how to play the game just by playing it.
Reply Quote
8 Night Elf Druid
Why is research required out of WoW?
Because the information simply does not exist in game to provide you with nearly any of the information that outside websites do.
If you never once looked at any outside website would you know...
-What stats your class needs
-What gems are best for tanking dps or healing
-What a bosses mechanics are
-What a successful rotation is and how to achieve it
-What foods, potions, and buffs are best for encounters
-What a good talent tree is for your class
-What enchants your class/role needs
WoW itself provides very very little information on specifics. They rely on outside sources to do it. And that works for them.
If you are going to be raiding, you need the information outside sources provide. Just like you will do much better with add ons.
Blizzard designs encounters around people who have studied their classes, gearing, enchanting, and the encounters, they just don't provide that information themselves.

Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
04/28/2011 12:25 PMPosted by Zarhym
If you're speaking at all about boss encounters, I think you'll dig the Dungeon Journal (formerly referred to as Encounter Journal) coming in patch 4.2. Once we're able to catalog more of our dungeons in this journal, you'll get a lot of essential information for each boss fight. It's not going to tell you how to beat the fight, but it's going to tell you what kind of abilities the boss will be using against you. You'll just have to figure out with your party or raid how to deal with those abilities when they're used. Dungeon Journal will also help you find the loot you're looking for from each boss ahead of time, so you have items in mind you hope to get before even setting foot in the dungeon.

That dungeon journal sounds like a great idea. I'd love to be able to quick look up a bosses abilities to make sure i'm not forgetting something.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
But the information you need to be successful in your role is really all in the game

No, this isn't the case.

Look at professions in generally, especially Inscription. There's NOTHING in game to tell you how to learn the rest of the glyphs that can be possibly made. Or which come from discovery and which from Books.

Location of Quartermasters.

Where to get rep based item enhancements. If you were a new person to the game, there's NOTHING telling you "hey, if you want decent shoulder enchants you need to go do a boatload of Therazane rep quests in Deepholm"

That reforging even exists. We had a few folks come back to the game from Wrath and they had no idea that gear could be reforged until it was mentioned in casual conversation.

So can you raid without doing research? Yea.
Can you perform as well as you could WITH doing research? No chance. none. nil.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
Gotta say Dungeon Journal is a great idea. Being able to do the research in-game adds to that immersion feel.
Reply Quote
80 Tauren Druid

Will this have a wishlist similar to Atlasloot? If so that would be amazing.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
04/28/2011 01:44 PMPosted by Dangerclose
But the information you need to be successful in your role is really all in the game

No, this isn't the case.

Look at professions in generally, especially Inscription. There's NOTHING in game to tell you how to learn the rest of the glyphs that can be possibly made. Or which come from discovery and which from Books.

Location of Quartermasters.

Where to get rep based item enhancements. If you were a new person to the game, there's NOTHING telling you "hey, if you want decent shoulder enchants you need to go do a boatload of Therazane rep quests in Deepholm"

That reforging even exists. We had a few folks come back to the game from Wrath and they had no idea that gear could be reforged until it was mentioned in casual conversation.

So can you raid without doing research? Yea.
Can you perform as well as you could WITH doing research? No chance. none. nil.

This might be surprising to you, but standard raid content is not tuned to min/maxing. It certainly makes it easier, but the game isn't tuned against that.

Yes, there is room for poor decisions, but an intuitive gamer will make connections pretty easily. I don't believe we need any hand holding.

Certain things are indeed left of to player discovery, and I think that's necessary. If you want to know it all without the search for it in game, the sources for information are readily available.
Reply Quote
80 Dwarf Warrior
I'm getting sick and tired of people queuing for ZB and ZA and not even looking up the fights. So now you find yourself having 100-200g repair bill because someone was too lazy to open up their browser and google the fights.

Whoever doesn't do research does not only affect their performance, it affect the outcome of the party/raid.

It's lazy to look it up on the internet instead of doing to instances yourself and learn. And repair bills is part of the game.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage

LFD is not your personal playground. It matches you with 4 other actual players across other servers. The majority expectation of LFD is that you know how to play your class and to know the fights, whether that means having looked them up or having cleared them.

LFD is not your personal playground either. It matches you up with 4 other actual players across other servers, who will all have different levels of skill. If you want to faceroll stuff, you do it with your guild or the group of friends you play with regularly. As I understand it, LFD was introduced to ease the time it takes getting groups together. Common sense tells me that this is more to benefit the unguilded or solo player (who are generally less knowledgeable/skilled) in fiding groups to run dungeons with, as opposed to the player in a guild, who has a ready made pool of players to group with (if your guildies dont want to run heroics with you it's not LFD's fault).

The real problem is, the more skilled players are going in and treating LFD as their personal rep/gear/points farm and expecting everyone else to be playing to their standards in an environment where they should know less skilled players will be in abundance. Expecting things from total strangers is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Edited by Besh on 4/28/2011 2:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
We've gone to great lengths to ensure things are clear enough that you can make some meaningful choices for your character's power on your own, and still have a great shot at catching onto what makes you excel.

LOL
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
You research the game for the same reason you research anything else, so you don't look like a worthless scrub. If you're too lazy to do research then don't complain when you get kicked or people say you suck.

The worst part of this game is having to play with lazy stupid people.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Mage
[ , then I might just have give a try to see how many people still can't do the fights even when they're having the hands held by you guys.

So, reading up on strats and watching videos, going to EJ/Wowhead, etc is all good, but doing pretty much the exact same thing in an in-game DJ is "having your hands held"?

Right then.
Reply Quote
26 Night Elf Warrior
The amount of people posting* here who mindlessly focus on making the game easier for themselves only to come over to the forums and complain about it is mind boggling. What's the point of playing a game if you're just going to bypass all the challenge in it by reading strategy guides?

not knowing how to play would make the game pretty challenging, I guess
Reply Quote
50 Draenei Shaman
You cannot succeed as an enhancement shaman without research.

You just can't.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Research is not really required. You can still play the game ok with just standard messing around. It's only if you want to be "good" that you need research. If you want to raid, be decent on pvp, or have less grief with dungeons then you need research. Just standard playing, you really don't.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]