Why is research required for this game?

100 Night Elf Druid
04/28/2011 11:19 AMPosted by Elgreezy
I've played many other MMOs before and they didn't need "research"

Name them.

Final Fantasy?
Reply Quote
04/28/2011 04:18 PMPosted by Keepsayke
Please provide a single example of information that can only be obtained by researching outside of the game.

There are TONS of things... but internal cooldowns and procs per minute come to mind right off the bat.

You can't even get your own in-game dps without going outside the game to search for an add-on.

You don't need to learn any of those things unless you are theorycrafting for min/maxing, and even then you can learn them with training dummies. PPM is irrelevant now that weaons are all the same speed, and Internal cooldowns are something that you'll learn to guess with experience.

"Min/Maxing" to some degree is actually required for 5-mans... so to claim that it isn't needed is kind of silly.

Be that as it may, how about this then for "a single example of information that can only be obtained by researching outside of the game":

Tell me where in the game it tells me how much Strength a Hunter needs from his gear in order to perform well... the answer of course is "none"... but there are exactly ZERO tooltips, spell descriptions, or watever in-game sources to tell you this. And I think there are still a couple of Hunter abilities that use this useless stat.

There are LOTS more examples to give along these lines that simply REQUIRE research outside of the game in order to not be a total scrub.
Reply Quote
15 Gnome Rogue
You don't NEED to research. Many players now do so, because they don't want to wipe continuous times & have to pay for repairs. People have been reading up on/watching videos of boss fights since mid to late vanilla.

If you refuse to do research, you may be turned down in PuGs, when joining guilds, or in LFD. Sorry, but it's the truth. If you don't want to be completely horrible, you probably have to.
Reply Quote
1 Undead Rogue
Researching for a game. F*cking insane concept, really.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Rogue
Sometimes it's laziness on the part of other people, instead of a) not saying anything b)saying it's near blah, or whatnot, they would rather do c) tell someone to look it up.

Why take the time to not add anything productive to the question, why be a waste of time and pixels to type out wowhead, or thottbot, just don't say anything if you don't know.

Reply Quote
7 Blood Elf Rogue
I personally don't mind taking the time to learn more about my class (or any class I attempt to play, I admit I'm not good at non-healers, but I always, always make it a point to learn what I can). I do not look down on people who do not take the time to do this, however. If you do take the time to research and learn more, then kudos to you, that's awesome, and if you don't? If it's class related, anyone who loves their class would usually be happy to help. If it's mechanics...then yeah, you might have a hard time having someone explain that when they don't have to lol.

Being resourceful is more of a skill than anything - not everyone is good at it. I go absolutely insane if I can't figure something out, or figure out why two things aren't the same, how they compare to other healer classes, and so forth. I spend too much time looking up other people's characters to see what they're gemming and enchanting, probably to an unhealthy extent lol. This applies to gems, stats, talents and glyphs.

As far as boss fights and mechanics, I learn as I go, but I seem to catch on fairly quickly. I watch a video or two before trying it myself, that's about it. I haven't been kicked yet so I must be doing something right.
Edited by Lenne on 5/10/2011 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Why do people just dismiss others by saying "look it up on wowhead/mmo-champion/wowwiki/elitest jerks/etc"? I've played many other MMOs before and they didn't need "research" as you people put it like WoW supposedly does. And they were still fun. Phantasy Star Online is still going on after 10 years without any expansions or updates and people still enjoy it and they don't need to research a bunch of stuff for encounters and so forth.

So please, I think we are going in the wrong direction if the pre-requisite to playing WoW is akin to studying for a test at uni.

Thank you.

you're free to figure everything out on your own.. but I believe you got ppl telling you to look it up on websites cuz you "asked" some questions...

WoW doesn't "require" you to research.. and no one is stopping you to be a baddie either...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
The question in the title is like asking "why is a calculator required to do math?"

Its not, but it makes it easier and more efficient, especially when you are doing math with 4, 9, or 24 other people relying on you to perform well.
Edited by Specty on 5/10/2011 9:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
The OP has a very valid point about the community. I have queued for some heroics and admitted that it is one of my first heroics only to be kicked almost immediately. No explanations about dungeons other than "just go."

The community is the problem.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Death Knight
The OP has a very valid point about the community. I have queued for some heroics and admitted that it is one of my first heroics only to be kicked almost immediately. No explanations about dungeons other than "just go."

The community is the problem.

Ever consider that you're the problem?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Rogue
Almost all hardcore games require research. All of blizzard games require research for instance."wha's the best strat" in starcraft. "What are the runewords" in Diablo.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
research is not always optimal I just see it as a guideline. Especially when talking BIS loot. because BIS is always variable based on maintaining hit and expertise(well hit+expr for my spec).
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
This proves my point about the community having a significant portion of just plain jerks.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]