Coming in 4.2: the Dungeon Journal

Community Manager
With 4.2, we’re introducing the new World of Warcraft Dungeon Journal. The feature is currently deep in development, so while we don't have anything to show off just yet, we’ve put together a FAQ with a bit of information. Please enjoy!

Q: What is the Dungeon Journal?

A: The Dungeon Journal is a new piece of UI in World of Warcraft that players can use to find out more about specific dungeons, and the bosses within those dungeons, including what abilities they have and the rewards they offer.

Q: How will I access it?

A: While in a dungeon, hitting "M" (the default key for Map) will open the Dungeon Journal. A new button will also be available in the navigation tray. The Dungeon Journal can be accessed from anywhere - in a dungeon, in a raid, on a boat, etc.

Q: Will I have to experience a dungeon or encounter in order to see the associated Dungeon Journal content?

A: There won’t be any "gating" or limitations placed on what content a player can see in the Dungeon Journal. All boss/dungeon/raid information will be available to all players regardless of level, gear, or content experience.

Q: What will it show me?

A: The dungeon/raid map will display the locations of each boss in their respective locations, marked by unique icons.
    Players can access boss information by clicking on boss icons on the map, or by clicking on the boss’ name in the associated tab of the dungeon/raid map page.

General loot information for the dungeon/raid can also be accessed from the dungeon/raid main page by clicking on the Loot tab. This will show all loot dropped - from bosses and trash - in the instance, of a certain quality.

Boss abilities will be available via the boss’ page, either by clicking on the map or by going through the Dungeon tab. The Dungeon tab on the boss’ page will list out all major spells, abilities, and phases for that fight.

Q: Are the descriptions going to be simplified or detailed?

A: Descriptions will be verbose and complete. Our goal is to give a lot of context to the abilities in terms of how they’ll play out; however, we will not be giving any strategy tips in the Dungeon Journal. For example, while the Dungeon Journal might say something like "This ability will cause all players in the affected area to take damage," it won’t say anything explicit like "All players except the tank should stand behind the boss during his Shield phase."

Q: Will this include adds?
    A: Yes. If a boss has adds, like Ascendant Council or Erudaxx, their abilities will be listed, too.

Q: What bosses will be included in 4.2?

A: That's still being determined. We want to include as many as possible and add more as we go along. We'll provide additional information on availability as we progress through the Public Test Realm process.

We'll provide a more comprehensive look at the Dungeon Journal, including the interface and examples of the information it provides, as we move closer to the release of 4.2. Have fun storming the castle!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
This sounds very useful.

Many new players are too embarrassed to ask for explanations about encounters they haven't tried before. This should solve that problem.

Great idea all around.
Reply Quote
- World of Warcraft
85 Dwarf Paladin
Can't wait to have a look at it!
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Very cool!
Reply Quote
I'll be personally missing figuring stuff out.

There will be yet even less interaction between people in dungeons.
Reply Quote
11 Troll Hunter
05/02/2011 08:58 AMPosted by Kaivax
A new button will also be available in the navigation tray.

Ack, does that mean that yet another existing button will be removed?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Does this really solve the inherent problem with the raids, though?

Let's take the first 3 raids in Cata. BWD, BoT, and TOFW.

Why are we here? I miss the days of "raid quests" that'd lead you to a raid and make you want to complete it.

I'll take BRC as a great example of a dungeon setup. You find it from Hyjal and get a quest that brings you there and you follow the story of Raz as he plows through the place. While this sort of thing isn't optimal for a raid set up, something similar could be accomplished.

In Vanilla, you'd get quests for AQ in Silithus which made you want to raid it. If you were new to WoW, right...would you even know that BWD or BoT existed without trade chat? There are no quests to even guide you there, and while knowing why this boss must be killed is nice...if he's so bad and mean, why not a quest for it? Item rewards are, of course, not a necessity, but you'd think - at least - the King of SW would give a quest to kill that Nefarion fellow who is hovering over SW in that mountain over there. In the mean time, kill some of his abomination experiments while you are it.

I guess, in my view, raiding is summed up excellently by Adm. Stockdale: "Who am I and why am I here?"
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
If the journal does include what items the boss drops, wouldn't it be possible (perhaps in the future, not necessarily in 4.2) to add some really nice support for loot distribution? For example, if players could mark which item(s) they want from an upcoming boss, when an item drops, the master looter could be presented with a list of all the players that marked the selected item (with 1-100 random numbers next to each, if desired, or the ML could simply do a /roll 1-N, where N is the number of players on the list). This would be minimal effort and make random, loot council, and fixed-cost DKP systems suuuuuuuper easy.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
05/02/2011 09:33 AMPosted by Fellandra
4.2) to add some really nice support for loot distribution?

Bosses should drop loot tokens instead of loot, IMHO. It's silly that, after 3-4 weeks, most of the items are DE'd cuz everyone has that upgrade. A loot token system would solve that problem. Instead of 2 loots, each boss drops 2 tokens that people roll on. They can turn those into a vendor in SW for an expansive list of items that would normally appear in boss loot tables.

Certain tokens would allow access to certain items, which would prevent someone from gearing up by only killing, say, Magmaw weekly. Or other items would require 2-3 tokens rather than 1.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I appreciate this functionality a lot. Hopefully players will become less dependent on addons such as Atlas/Atlasloot and strategy pages as a result. Having everything you need within the game is awesome.
Reply Quote
61 Worgen Hunter
05/02/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Barand

Bosses should drop loot tokens instead of loot, IMHO. It's silly that, after 3-4 weeks, most of the items are DE'd cuz everyone has that upgrade. A loot token system would solve that problem. Instead of 2 loots, each boss drops 2 tokens that people roll on. They can turn those into a vendor in SW for an expansive list of items that would normally appear in boss loot tables.

Certain tokens would allow access to certain items, which would prevent someone from gearing up by only killing, say, Magmaw weekly. Or other items would require 2-3 tokens rather than 1.

I like this idea!!!
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
I totally agree with this but with respect is has absolutely nothing to do with this new feature for helping newbies out.

GG blizz this does seem like a good idea too.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Awesome.

But I would still make it progress as a guild perk.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
So now noobs dont even have to know how to use google anymore. So cool!

Just kidding. This sounds dumb. There's plenty of online resources already. Don't coddle the players by putting the walkthrough directly in the game
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
But remember, it's not going to have the exact fight down, just what the boss does
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
05/02/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Barand

Oh yes, lets just remove loot from wow hell why not remove item s altogether because upgrading is hard and takes too much time and WHY do i always have to remember so many fights and press SO many buttons!?!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
05/02/2011 09:51 AMPosted by Káàrox
Oh yes, lets just remove loot from wow hell why not remove item s altogether because upgrading is hard and takes too much time and WHY do i always have to remember so many fights and press SO many buttons!?!

Is that really what you gleaned from this? It makes no sense that can repeatedly get the mace from Magmaw and never get the chest or bracers to drop (13 weeks!). It's not about removing loot, it's about making loot not a waste or a letdown.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
I like this idea. Too many people do not speak up when they do not a fight, and that just takes up even more time. Being able to read what a boss does simplifies explaining fights, so groups can move on quicker. Will be nice to only have to say what to do for each ability than having to explain each ability and what to do for it....Of course all this is assuming those players know enough to look at this feature. Otherwise we're right back where we started LOL.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]