Coming in 4.2: the Dungeon Journal

90 Human Warrior
My question as I am starting too love wow's own built in add on's and enjoying deleting certain adddons from my intereface folder this one cancels atlas loot but will it be a replacement for DBM????? are there raid warnings involved
Reply Quote
Good Idea... Bye Bye Atlas Loot.
Also, it appears DBM is getting closer to gone.
Reply Quote
Im not understanding the goal or point you guys are after.

You spend countless hours designing dungeons, encounters, environments, all with the intent to immerse the player and allow the world to give him sensory feedback and clues as to what's going on and what to investigate.

Then you negate all that work by just handing us the playbook. I'm curious if devs understand this will foster even less community interaction. Players will need to cooperate even less. Whenever the devs give the players this kind of tool, you are taking interaction from amongst *us* (the players) and directing it amongst *you* (the players and the devs). So the question is really who do you expect players to interact with: you or each other?

I generally support tools which facilitate gameplay. Bestiaries are excellent at this. Is there any reason we could not just get an ingame bestiary that tells the *story* of the creatures in dungeons, with ONLY HINTS about what he may drop?

In other words, why isn't this tool headed more toward lore creation than toward in-game wowhead?

Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
When i first read the blue post about this, i figured that it was going to be a good thing. Shortly after i came across rob boss mods.

If your not familiar with it, it posts a notify (type !boss in partychat if you don't understand boss and you will get a explanation) when you target the boss for the first time in a run. Say everyone in the run knows the fight... disregard and move on... if not someone will type it and a very clear instructional on how to complete the boss is provided (even has spell ID links to click to get a better picture).

Yet still after running it for about 2 weeks, theres new people to the fights which is no problem... but we still wipe cuz hey the healer/tank/dps "didn't know" that standing on a green line is bad, standing in a bodyslam zone and taking a shadow crash is gonna one shot you, or popping all the bubbles then dpsing the chains will result in time lost due to not having the buff on the chain. The worse part is its clearly explained. The info is there and they ignore it.

Im prolly just ranting but this isn't going to help anything... short of playing the game for them, lazy people will remain lazy, uninformed, and oh so deserving of the boot from party.
Reply Quote
40 Dwarf Paladin
for this journal there should be some sort of linkable that says this person has read about this instance/raid, so people know that they have tried to research the fight and want to learn and not just get carried. plus this will help teach the fight since they have read it about it
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
is this going to include information on heroic encounters as well? or just normal modes?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Currently I have to scour the internet for this information, which really doesn't make sense. I'm very glad that it will be available in the game. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Info on boss abilities is better than strategeis because it still allows players to figure things out for themselves, plus there are usually more than 1 way to handle a boss...

I've often thought the popular addon DBM should be provided in-game as well. Blizzard should provide everything you need to succed and many/most raiders consider DBM mandatory. Other popular/neccessary addons could be implemented in the game as well (better raid frames plz).

I personally have never liked 'figuring it out by doing it.' I don't consider myself a skilled player at all; traditional MMOs like final fantasy literally required 0 skill as they were 'turn based.' Given my lack of skill I like to know as much about the encounter as possible BEFORE doing it. And having all the pertinent information before the encounter lets my focus on honing my skill.

Wait wait wait....did you just say FFXI required no skill? Because it's turn based? First of if you are indeed referring to FFXI it's not turn based at all. While it's at a slower pace than WoW it is *definitely* not turn based. So that argument is out of the window. Secondly, FFXI required and STILL requires more "skill" than most other MMOs as far as PvE is concerned. You obviously have never done an endgame fight in FFXI, Dynamis alone roflstomps the difficulty of most fights in this game.

Let's not forget fights like Fenrir and Diabolos or even BCNMs/KSNMs. I could go on and on about the difficulty of Einherjar, the CoP missions, or the Sky and Sea Gods (the general WoW populace would cry until the next millenium about how hard the God fights were). Please try harder next time... please.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Love it!!

Edit to comment on the above post... DBM is most certainly NOT needed. Never used it and I do better than a lot of people who do. :)
Edited by Kalici on 5/10/2011 8:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
You should learn to pay attention, it says right there that they're NOT going to include strategies, just a list of what abilities the bosses have. But I guess it's easier to QQ than read eh?
Reply Quote
89 Draenei Death Knight
I know it's been said before, but I would appreciate if the journal would be something that "unlocks" so to say. That you don't get all the information on a boss without actually seeing it, or perhaps world discoveries (found items either through Arch or some other means) that fills your book. . .that would be fun.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This will help newbies and veterans alike.
Reply Quote
Blizzards answer to Atlasloot

Love the idea thou ..ittl help with explaining fights
Edited by Program on 5/11/2011 8:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
4 Blood Elf Warlock
Can you guys put in little video's where appropriate for the dungeon journal?

Here's a for instance: In Heroic Dead Mines, I think people can benefit from a video explaining the controls on the suit for the FoeReaper 5000 fight. This suit is the key to unlocking victory in this fight. The suit is not something that people use every day. And it is a certain trip for the entire party to the graveyard if the suit is used improperly. A simple 30 or 45 second video (300x230 pixel res) explaining the controls and how to best put them to use would be excellent in this book.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
This is a very interesting idea that is being implemented in the next patch. Hopefully this new tool will show older raid loot as well from raids back in Vanilla WoW, The Burning Crusade, and Wrath of the Lich King!

Hopefully it will prove useful for many players on many realms. I look forward to seeing it when the patch comes out. =)
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
To the OP: I think this is very nice. I am sure people will complain that it dumbs down the game, but with how far content has progressed, there are plenty of 'new' people that are still clambering to catch up with the veterans and are often left clueless and lost.

SO - I think this will be an awesome addition, and will help people to learn to be more self-sufficient and confident when entering dungeons they have never been to before.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
05/02/2011 09:47 AMPosted by Shewulf

Bosses should drop loot tokens instead of loot, IMHO. It's silly that, after 3-4 weeks, most of the items are DE'd cuz everyone has that upgrade. A loot token system would solve that problem. Instead of 2 loots, each boss drops 2 tokens that people roll on. They can turn those into a vendor in SW for an expansive list of items that would normally appear in boss loot tables.

Certain tokens would allow access to certain items, which would prevent someone from gearing up by only killing, say, Magmaw weekly. Or other items would require 2-3 tokens rather than 1.

I like this idea!!!
i think this should be part of what you get when doing randoms, ex: maybe you can get the gear of king wyrn or thw dwarf kings armor if you have 500 of these tokens.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
To the OP: I think this is very nice. I am sure people will complain that it dumbs down the game, but with how far content has progressed, there are plenty of 'new' people that are still clambering to catch up with the veterans and are often left clueless and lost.

SO - I think this will be an awesome addition, and will help people to learn to be more self-sufficient and confident when entering dungeons they have never been to before.
i've been on wow for almost a year and im still trying to catch up.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Hunter
Sounds to me like Blizzard is making their own version of Atlas Loot with a boss explanation added in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]