Coming in 4.2: the Dungeon Journal

85 Gnome Mage
Dear Blizz,
First of all i love the idea of the journal. I can clearly see the benefits and the bonuses but i do have one question about the journal. i know that you are not looking to put strategy in there and i think that is good. When i pug i find that have to learn a fight 8 diff ways is fun and keeps things interesting. however i was wondering if you were going to put a connotation system in the journal. What i mean is if a boss is gonna have an AOE in its description could you then put a 1 in a circle next to it. that way when someone is explaining the battle to new players they can go "when skill 1 happens everyone has to get out of range except the tank" Other wise with lengthy explanations I know there are many pugs to impatient to have the skill name still typed out for them. Just a thought. Keep up the good work.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
This is an excellent improvement, if I don't have time to look up a boss ahead of time, I often pass on rolls or roll and I am sorry afterward, because I don't have time to read everything on the item and know for certain:

1: It is an upgrade and enough of one to be sure I should roll.
2: It is completely compliant with the needs of my class and spec.
3: I have inspected other players and if it is a minor upgrade for me, they do not
need it more. Often some players have much worse gear and I pass for them.
Much of this depends on the group or raid leader and the time allowed for rolls which
are usually very fast. I try and inspect group members who might roll on the same items
I would roll on at the start of a run, and make a couple notes to remind myself.

This policy is a good one and continues to make the game more fun for everyone, including
me. It is fun to see others enjoy the game and it promotes an attitude of happiness among
the players.

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
I forgot to mention the other advantages, of learning more about that boss with out seeing
videos first. Time is a major constraint and bringing down a boss takes longer with out some extra information.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Listen Up Blizz if this crap is what I'm giving my keyring away for you can go screw... There is no need for in game EZ-mode which all but gives away how you need to kill said boss. Really is the general player really getting that young or stupid that they won't be able to put 2 and a 2 together and if that is the case then they shouldn't be breathing let alone in my pug or raid. It's called WOWHEAD.com blizz links to them already why and the hell would the educated veteran player go there like they have been for years. I don't want or need a change on that bar unless it is to add storage space for my toons ie. Increase in overall bag storage for moving not only Keys but Tabbards hell why not add Seasonal Items too like Costumes and other flavor baubles. You know what in game items are mostly held by veteran player for nostalgia why not throw us a bone and make a combine tab for those and save these crappy ideas for for April Fool's pranks. If the general player's age or intelligence is that low that all they can do is whine giving in to those crying babies and feeding them a bottle wouldn't stop them from whining. I say teach a man to fish and stop giving them fish altogether. My favorite saying in pug runs is get better or get going. The GTFO leet speak is there for a reason too many people somehow making it to lvl. 85 and not knowing jake crap about how to play their class or run run's. I like to call these peeps ebay toons because there is in my eyes no flipping way one who has soloed to lvl. 85 not know their toon's head from their buttholes. If you want a money grubbing idea blizz make and enforce a few realms by age. I would fork cash out to see adults only servers where if non-adult players can be blocked from the realm. That's what I would call premium. My other idea would be for grouping pugs by performance or skill. You blow or suck you shouldn't be allowed to get a free ride and make other talented players life miserable with your short-comings.
I know the only people that read these forums aren't you but other educated player's like myself so I feel pretty safe and good about saying what I said and topping it off by tell you developers to put that in your next patch and smoke it. I would glade love to have a chance to become a liaison of sorts on your pay role to point out what would be wise and rightly done by the veteran player and the future of this franchise. Lets face it your losing money it shows by your shallow tactics this company needs fresh people and it would be very easy to lure and attract people like myself to help keep this game going far into the future rather than lament it's passing because of a few greedy closed minded CEOs. That being said Starwars is on the horizon, Rift is out and doing very well and at an under-cutter's rate. Who's to say that with the addon of other MMORPG's that WOW won't go the way of the AOC dodo bird. Making bad decisions like throwing us rehashed crappy content, taking away whats fun enjoyable, changing challenging content or goal based content that one must work for, stripping one's sense of achievement, general nerfing without cause or good reason will kill this game. Please how much more could it possibly cost to do some polling to get public opinion on future content. Listen and nurture your loyal long-time players they really do know whats best. Oh and thanks for the lore changes.

Thebigbad, worgen
I'll Huff and I'll Puff and I'll continue to take it in the hind quarters while shoveling cash into your coffers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
wow who ever heard of a game coming with a built in walkthrough????
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Nerfing raids and adding new gear AND adding this? Just seems like far too much.
Especially with spoiling Firelands fights before you even play them.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
Using Archaeology to discover things for your dungeon journal is a really cool idea!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
05/02/2011 09:33 AMPosted by Fellandra
If the journal does include what items the boss drops, wouldn't it be possible (perhaps in the future, not necessarily in 4.2) to add some really nice support for loot distribution? For example, if players could mark which item(s) they want from an upcoming boss, when an item drops, the master looter could be presented with a list of all the players that marked the selected item (with 1-100 random numbers next to each, if desired, or the ML could simply do a /roll 1-N, where N is the number of players on the list). This would be minimal effort and make random, loot council, and fixed-cost DKP systems suuuuuuuper easy.

I like the idea, the problem is that generally you try to be fair with loot, if someone has already gotten an epic that week, or is side grading an epic, or is a part time raider then you will probably pass them over for someone upgrading a lower ilevel item or who has had no luck on rolls or is a full time raider.

It would nicely speed things up but I think most guilds probably have too many little intricacies in their allocation of loot for it to work.

Bosses should drop loot tokens instead of loot, IMHO. It's silly that, after 3-4 weeks, most of the items are DE'd cuz everyone has that upgrade. A loot token system would solve that problem. Instead of 2 loots, each boss drops 2 tokens that people roll on. They can turn those into a vendor in SW for an expansive list of items that would normally appear in boss loot tables.

Certain tokens would allow access to certain items, which would prevent someone from gearing up by only killing, say, Magmaw weekly. Or other items would require 2-3 tokens rather than 1.

This I both like and dislike. It is kind of like how tier tokens work. If boss A drops a token for DPS bracers and tank head and healer legs, boss B a token for DPS legs, tank chest, healer ring, etc, etc.

For people like me who have no luck with loot rolls and RNG loot tables (full i359, 3 raid pieces) it would be a great way to actually gear up. The big problem is that it takes a lot of the fun out of the game. A big part of the boss kill is the opening the body to check the loot. Knowing it is your turn for X token and if the boss is dead you have a 100% chance of getting it takes the fun out of it.

Blizzard need to fix their broken RNG loot drops to get rid of the frustration of some things never dropping (21 twins kills in ToC, 1 trinket dropped) but I think the tokens go too far in taking the fun away from loot.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
I have heard complaints about this already. People feel they are babying people in the game. I think this idea is definitely a great idea because it helps those who are new to the game to help learn about the boss and help those who arent so good at the game to know what to look out for. I do not understand the mentality of people who would be against this at all...
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Hunter
Good idea.
My suggestion would be to add a note section under each description that we can fill in our self, like reminders.
Edited by Velren on 5/26/2011 1:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Sounds very cool to me. =)
Reply Quote
60 Gnome Death Knight
Reading the comments on here, I've come to this simple conclusion: You guys are going to complain no matter what. You cry because people have to go outside the game to learn lore or watch "how to" videos on certain dungeons, yet when they add stuff into the game to try and help that, you find a reason to cry against it.

If anyone is "ruining" this game, it's definitely the community.

Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
05/02/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Barand
4.2) to add some really nice support for loot distribution?

Bosses should drop loot tokens instead of loot, IMHO. It's silly that, after 3-4 weeks, most of the items are DE'd cuz everyone has that upgrade. A loot token system would solve that problem. Instead of 2 loots, each boss drops 2 tokens that people roll on. They can turn those into a vendor in SW for an expansive list of items that would normally appear in boss loot tables.

Certain tokens would allow access to certain items, which would prevent someone from gearing up by only killing, say, Magmaw weekly. Or other items would require 2-3 tokens rather than 1.

Item I want drops, I roll against 1-2 competitors for it...in your system, token drops and I roll against everyone that would like a corresponding item...potentially 24 other people rolling against me. I fail to see how this would be better.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Listen Up Blizz if this crap is what I'm giving my keyring away for you can go screw... There is no need for in game EZ-mode which all but gives away how you need to kill said boss. Really is the general player really getting that young or stupid that they won't be able to put 2 and a 2 together ...

Thebigbad, worgen
I'll Huff and I'll Puff and I'll continue to take it in the hind quarters while shoveling cash into your coffers.

Remember when there wasn't a key ring? Yeah, we managed back then. Get over yourself.

They DID implement a system for removing people who are not performing up to your standards. if you kick someone from your raid they get warped out. If you're in a pug, you can vote kick someone...and for crying out loud...STOP PUGGING! Join/Start a guild of people who play together...always group with them. Then if they really fail to perform to your standards, GKICK them.

Stop Whining about Blizzard catering to the lowest common denominator when it's YOU! YOU are catering to the lowest common denominator by choosing to USE the dungeon finder, by choosing to PuG with people who can't seem to figure out their class. By constantly putting yourself into situations where players will disappoint you, you are poised for failure, and when you fail, you blame blizzard. Then you offer yourself as a paid consultant!? yeah, Blizzard definitely needs people who can't figure out how to WORK WITH OTHER PEOPLE...to consult on the development of their MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER online game.

Final Thought: Don't call yourself educated in the midst of a wall of Text
Edited by Soema on 5/28/2011 9:56 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Hunter
The whole point is - there is NO MORE DISCOVERY LEFT to do, you've put it all in. Where is the fun in going in and trying the boss WITHOUT know what they will do, now you tell them what they do per phase, really?

What discovery is there now? Only the cutting edge top-of-the-line world first guilds are doing any real discovery, and they do it on the PTR for the most part. Most other raids (at least those that want to succeed in a reasonable time frame) look up strats on websites before their very first pull. The Dungeon Journal just gives people the tools to come up with strats without either rapid-fire wiping or headin' to the websites.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
lol on a boat? were they trolling us?
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Nerf all raids and explain all fights.
Reply Quote
92 Human Hunter
lol it says your an orc but your toon is a blood elf XD
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]