Coming in 4.2: the Dungeon Journal

85 Worgen Druid
Cause alt-tabbing and googling a boss encounter is hard ? This just makes things more convenient, more secure and probably way better looking.

Go Blizzard !

Edit: quote didn't make it in, this was in response to the QQ'ers.
Edited by Ramkir on 5/30/2011 10:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I wonder if this Dungoen Journal is still working as it does in the PTR, i.e. telling you where are the phase transitions, what happens when the transitions come, and what you should be doing.

because that is lame.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage
I would actually like an add-on to this feature where I queue for the dungeon, then WoW takes over and teleports me out with all the loot I wanted plus XP and reputation gains. This would allow me to never have to even think about dungeons again, or possess any skill on my part. It would also prevent ninja loots and make the game so easy my three year old could play it.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Cause alt-tabbing and googling a boss encounter is hard ? This just makes things more convenient, more secure and probably way better looking.

Agreed. It's nice to be able to look at the gear. I may have missed it, but being able to click on check boxes for wishlist gear that puts the red aggro box around that items window if it pops up: until you win it.
Edited by Criofandaigh on 5/30/2011 11:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
05/05/2011 10:18 AMPosted by Nysem
Will Crabby be a part of this feature? :(

THIS THIS THIS THIS!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Sounds to me like they r implementing part of atlas loot.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
I wonder if this Dungoen Journal is still working as it does in the PTR, i.e. telling you where are the phase transitions, what happens when the transitions come, and what you should be doing.

because that is lame.

And looking at Tankspot videos of encounters, reading EJs etc is lame.
Reply Quote
So it lists the loot a boss drops, and the abilities he has.......Atlasloot and DBM, just DBM will tell you exactly when they are happening and how long till the next one, as well as yell at you when you are standing in fire.

Nice idea Blizz, took you 3 expansions to incorporate the addons into stand ui.

Not QQing or complaining, just pointing out that most raiders already have these sets of info. The only upside change it seems is new content info without going to WoWwiki or MMOChamp to read up on the boss fight or Tankspot to watch the video and see how it's done, which is still better than reading and know the abilities since you see the effects.
Reply Quote
75 Goblin Mage
Why is this not stickied?
Reply Quote
05/02/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Barand
4.2) to add some really nice support for loot distribution?

Bosses should drop loot tokens instead of loot, IMHO. It's silly that, after 3-4 weeks, most of the items are DE'd cuz everyone has that upgrade. A loot token system would solve that problem. Instead of 2 loots, each boss drops 2 tokens that people roll on. They can turn those into a vendor in SW for an expansive list of items that would normally appear in boss loot tables.

Certain tokens would allow access to certain items, which would prevent someone from gearing up by only killing, say, Magmaw weekly. Or other items would require 2-3 tokens rather than 1.

This is a good idea, except for the fact that it would take longer to get everyone geared. Because everyone wants the tokens it means that less people will get look as opposed to where if a boss drops a spell dps piece only a certain amount of classes will want it, and the other classes will have to wait until a plate or leather or mail piece drops
Reply Quote
wow its just like the addons DBM + altasloot ...
Reply Quote
You should not add any info about the end game bosses, mobs and their skills and phases, not until a boss has be downed by the corresponding Faction for the first time, then all the info about that boss, adds and all the other mobs that are encountered on the way to the boss, the boss phases and all the abilities up to that point, becomes available to everyone on that faction after the first Tuesday after that boss fight has occurred, or whatever the day is when the raids are reset. A small text should also acknowledge the guild that has done the first boss kill. In such step wise manner the information about the new raid content will be "added" to the journal by the players themselves.

P.S. The journal is an excellent addition to the game. What I was suggesting was based on the fact that raiders love to figure out the new boss fights and they would probably hate it if they get "spoon fed", as the player under me called it.
Edited by Douka on 6/1/2011 8:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
06/01/2011 02:52 AMPosted by Douka
You should not add any info about the end game bosses, mobs and their skills and phases, not until a boss has be downed by the corresponding Faction for the first time, then all the info about that boss, adds and all the other mobs that are encountered on the way to the boss, the boss phases and all the abilities up to that point, become available to everyone on that faction. A small text should also acknowledge the guild that has done the first boss kill. In such step wise manner the new information will be added to the journal by the players themselves.

absolutely correct thanks blizz for spoon feeding us AGAIN
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
I can see it now.

Tank pulls boss and is fighting away, then notices he has no back up. He looks around and all dps are standing still doing nothing. After shouting "dps?" a few times without getting a response, he finally gets an answer... "Sorry was just reading the dungeon journal"

Or

Tank stops to read dungeon journal about a boss which is met with.. "GOGOGO".

Just to make it clear, I think a dungeon journal is a good idea. Its the attitude of some WoW players and their impatience with people still learning that I see as a problem.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
All you ppl complaining about how this makes doing dungeons too easy: IMO, if you regularly go to a website to look up a strategy, or even boss abilities, you don't have a leg to stand on. I'm guessing that 99% of you do. Not very many guilds allow their people to raid totally cold. If you do, you are probably doing it on PTR, and my hat is off to you. Googling a strat is not equal to skill, or hard work, and it contributes nothing to having fun. GJ Blizz for mitigating an extra hassle.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
Sounds useful and all but.......would still love to see a raid equivalent to the dungeon finder,I mean,how often do you see "Looking for 2 Dps and Heal for molten core",simply,you don't I think people who are new to the game shouldn't miss out on classic glory's like Molten Core just because they joined the game later on and I do get that sometimes you may get a horrid group,I still can see it as a very highly used feature in game and could help gear people for there adventures to come.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Hunter
Brilliant. Personally I don't sprint into dungeons that I've never done without reading up on mechanics. If your knowledge on the subject prevents one wipe, you'll probably save time there anyway.
Complaints about it seem ridiculous to me. I highly doubt any of the trolls go into a dungeon/raid wiping to learn boss mechanics and using trial and error to find a strategy.

The hardest part of raid completion is execution. Even if they WERE walking you through the boss, most average players couldn't execute the walk-through anyway for top level raids. Personally I'm glad they are forming a new in-game baseline knowledge without putting full strategy in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]