Coming in 4.2: the Dungeon Journal

85 Human Paladin
Currently I have to scour the internet for this information, which really doesn't make sense. I'm very glad that it will be available in the game. If you don't like it, don't use it.

Info on boss abilities is better than strategeis because it still allows players to figure things out for themselves, plus there are usually more than 1 way to handle a boss...

I've often thought the popular addon DBM should be provided in-game as well. Blizzard should provide everything you need to succed and many/most raiders consider DBM mandatory. Other popular/neccessary addons could be implemented in the game as well (better raid frames plz).

I personally have never liked 'figuring it out by doing it.' I don't consider myself a skilled player at all; traditional MMOs like final fantasy literally required 0 skill as they were 'turn based.' Given my lack of skill I like to know as much about the encounter as possible BEFORE doing it. And having all the pertinent information before the encounter lets my focus on honing my skill.
Edited by Simar on 5/2/2011 10:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
So now noobs dont even have to know how to use google anymore. So cool!

Just kidding. This sounds dumb. There's plenty of online resources already. Don't coddle the players by putting the walkthrough directly in the game

You mistake this implementation as a walk-through. While you will be told the items and abilities the boss will employ, it will not tell you when, how much damage, where to stand etc. This is merely an extra in-game tool to help players get into the encounters, understand them a little better, and enjoy them. The ability to take down the boss is still soundly within player hands and abilities.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
its a good idea!
but i would like it more if the info was only avaible after you defet the boss, so you can fill your jornal with information as you progress.
Edited by Close on 5/2/2011 10:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Just kidding. This sounds dumb. There's plenty of online resources already. Don't coddle the players by putting the walkthrough directly in the game

You mistake this implementation as a walk-through. While you will be told the items and abilities the boss will employ, it will not tell you when, how much damage, where to stand etc. This is merely an extra in-game tool to help players get into the encounters, understand them a little better, and enjoy them. The ability to take down the boss is still soundly within player hands and abilities.

How will players switch between heroic and normal versions of the data?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I can't wait for this feature to come out!!!!

Quit whining that this is simplifying WoW because it is not. Atlas and Atlas Loot Addons have been around since nearly the launch back in 2004. I think it was 2005 these addons were available but I could be mistaken.

Blizzard is not putting strategies in this at all. A list of abilities is actually a heads up rather than a guide. Just something to say "Hey what does this boss do again? I can't remember....oh that is right he does this. Ok I remember the strategy now."

For clever people all they need is a list of abilities and they can formulate the best plan to do when he uses said ability. Other than that, I am sure that guides and online resources are going to continue to provide way more strategies and information on boss fights than this.

This was a long wait, but I'm glad that Blizzard is releasing such an invaluable tool for everyone. XD

EDIT: Maybe to add to this Blizzard can make it so if you are looking at boss loot, the loot link will be shaded green or red or something to indicate whether or not the item off the boss is an upgrade or not. Maybe an option to filter through items by clicking on stats in a box and cross referencing them with dungeon boss loot your level. this would be extremely helpful. Kind of like the armory where you find an upgrade for a piece of gear, but for ingame.
Edited by Realmweaver on 5/2/2011 10:35 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Ahhhh yes, the first of many who will call this new feature "a cater to the noobs/casuals".

I think this is going to be a great feature... Perhaps now we won't have to alt+tab out to wowwiki.com every time we get to a new boss, and hey... maybe we'll even opt to come up with a strategy of our own on how to down the boss, rather than have it spelled out to us step by step on said sites.

(I know people can technically choose not to ready the strategies on these websites, but once you're there you might as well anyways... with a feature like this though, you can at least give it a couple tries on your own before you say "OK, this isn't working, time to go to wowwiki to see how we should handle it".)

Hooray to Blizzard. /liked
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
Loot will always be rng other wise it becomes not so unqiue. If its easy to gear a toon than the game becomes boring. I remember back in icc when for 6 months I did not see a dfo drop. Soon after I got it on my warlock I was so happy. 3 weeks later my boomkin got one. Just wasn't so happy after that since it wasn't so special to me since it dropped again. Just like. SM once so maany people had it just wasn't so unqiue anymore. This game is based off rng and I like it. My priest finally got mirror off val in bot it made me happy. If people are doing 10 man raids and complain about loot well there is always 25 man for more drops.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Shaman
I for one am both excited and sad. On the one hand it will cut down the adventure of a dungeon. Maybe they could leave new dungeons that come out off the list for a week or so. On the other it will be nice because I as a full time student don't have the time to do much as far as raiding/dungeons. So to be able to not be a step behind everyone on fights that I haven't had a chance to do yet will be nice. And it should save some time because now we don't have to spend 5+ min before every fight doing the "ok so how does this fight work" dialogue.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Personally, I believe it's a great idea, I know people ((Including myself)) hate asking about what certain bosses do, and such, this makes it easier to understand the dungeons a bit better, and make people less annoyed when you ask, So it seems like it could create a better understanding, and less reason for people to argue and leave groups.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
So it's like wowhead meets atlasloot.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I love this!

As someone with memory issues, it will be so handy for me to do a quick reread of the information whenever I'm in a dungeon, rather than having to alt-tab and possibly miss something (like a random person pulling -_-;;)!

It's not about removing loot, it's about making loot not a waste or a letdown.

Ah, but that "waste" and "letdown" loot is important. Why? It keeps you going back until what you want drops. Like a slot machine, if you were guaranteed a win after a certain number of pulls, people would only play until that pull. If the reward is random, people will pull that lever until they win, no matter how many hundreds of times and copious amounts of money/time they may spend.

Read up about Skinner Boxes, and you may be enlightened. :)
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
It took me 2 months to get the tank trinket out of Heroic Stonecore, so I totally agree with you :)
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
since this is a new feature, and still in development, ie not finalized etc... , could we PLS get a note area (ieither guild ro personal) so we can keep pertinant info for that fight in it? It would be avery nice and useful feature for guilds.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
05/02/2011 09:38 AMPosted by Barand
4.2) to add some really nice support for loot distribution?

Bosses should drop loot tokens instead of loot, IMHO. It's silly that, after 3-4 weeks, most of the items are DE'd cuz everyone has that upgrade. A loot token system would solve that problem. Instead of 2 loots, each boss drops 2 tokens that people roll on. They can turn those into a vendor in SW for an expansive list of items that would normally appear in boss loot tables.

Certain tokens would allow access to certain items, which would prevent someone from gearing up by only killing, say, Magmaw weekly. Or other items would require 2-3 tokens rather than 1.

This idea sucks. Yeah you can get tokens and have less of a disenchanting "problem" if that's what it really is. Just because higher geared more progressing guilds DE the loot you wish you could have doesn't mean its a bad system. With tokens you wont get the dust/shards that sell for a pretty penny on the AH and you get to build your set in the best possible way with a guarantee you'll finish gearing up before you see the final boss and the view towards raids will be something like "oh hey you know that raid we've been doing but were too trash to finish? Well yeah we've collected enough tokens to finally make it to the final boss being carried by our gear." At that point what incentive do you have to go to the last boss more than once ever? Nothing, tokens are a terrible idea.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Finally! Too long raid leaders and skilled players have had to suffer through groups where people can't/won't look up fights. This should help.
Reply Quote
74 Blood Elf Warlock
It would be nice if each boss dropped a piece of loot for every member of the party. That way, everyone gets a nice upgrade, and no one has to complain about someone rolling on something they didn't need. But I do admit that being able to find out what will drop is a good thing. However, it will just make it that much more disappointing when it doesn't drop.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warlock
I honestly think you should limit to release it a certain period of time after the initial patch of 4.2
Like in a mini patch. The fun of new content is learning the fight and the abilities. Wiping on a boss and going okay we learned not to do that. That's the fun it's what makes the game challenging.
By just giving us the answers to the question we learn nothing. It's like a teacher taking a test for you.
I know people are gonna whine about what I have to say but I don't really care.
The thing is people who don't know the fights are too lazy to look up how to videos or the abilities on wowhead. Even fights that don't have how to's on them there are videos of the fight in range, melee and tank POV's which you can pretty much grasp what you need to do from them.
It's not rocket science people.

The whole token thing is an awful idea as well. Grinding out the boss for gear is how it's always been done. The saying if it's not broke don't fix it should apply here. The loot system is broken so don't fix it. People who are too impatient to grind out the gear can go quit or QQ somewhere else. Omg my wand won't drop, no one cares it'll drop next week or tomorrow so just wait. If you think gear is what makes the player it's not. Yea sometimes gear is the issue but thats the last issue you think of when you can't do a boss. Gear has always been a very rare issue so I wouldn't suggest helping bad players think they're good cause they have on shiny gear.
Edited by Kepo on 5/2/2011 10:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I like it! Keep adding stuff like this and some day I won't even need dual monitors :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]