Coming in 4.2: the Dungeon Journal

*cough* AtlasLoot
*cough* BossTactics

Reply Quote
55 Gnome Warlock
This is a great add to the game, I mean I've just come back from a two year break and I already knew some of the basics of raiding, but this will hopefully give me the boost to be even better. :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
its a good idea!
but i would like it more if the info was only avaible after you defet the boss, so you can fill your jornal with information as you progress.

I second this thought. Wow is after all a Role Playing Game. A Journal refers to a document where record is made of things that have happened or been experienced. Naming this tool a Dungeon Journal (although sounds cool :P) is not apt.

We could either change the name (To something like Dungeon Helper which sounds terrible) or change it so that it displays information about a Boss only after you have encountered it (probably not defeating it).
Edited by Padreraja on 5/4/2011 2:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
This sounds like a really great feature.
Reply Quote
I think this would be so much cooler if your journal actuallt acted as a journal, and only filled with information you have personally discovered.

Go into BWD for the first time and it is empty, but pages fill up as events happen. Walk into a fight and wipe, then look at the journal and see what the boss just did to you. Oh, electrocute? Have to be more careful of that.
Reply Quote
77 Troll Hunter
I love this!
I don't like using addons, and even looking stuff up doesn't always work, as my memory isn't the greatest. Watching videos can be confusing to me, depending on the zoom, angle, ui used, etc. (I suffer from several neurological disorders which makes it difficult for me to process some types of information.)

05/02/2011 10:16 AMPosted by Wopplethorp
On the one hand it will cut down the adventure of a dungeon

I'm assuming that it will simply be an option, and anyone who feels this way doesn't have to use it. :)

Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Warrior
That's nice!!!

Im always wondering what loot the boss can drop...
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
This is a wonderful idea! Having dungeon info available in-game means all of us in a guild group could read up while in the dungeon finder queue. Also, this is better than someone having to type in all the explanations on each boss. Now, tank could just say, "It's in your Dungeon Journal, lets review it together", and what better way to do this when helping younger players level?
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Hunter
As I understand it you do not have to use the feature. So don't do it. If somebody wants to use it that's fine too. DBM is required for raids. Isn't that taking away the challenge to? And what about: "Must know the fights.". That won't even be included in this feature.

I 'ld be happy if wow would make all highly used add-ons in game. Because everytime an update or patch is downloaded mine stop working and interfere with the game. And I don't even have that many.
Reply Quote
5 Tauren Shaman
What happened to Crabby!
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
So...you're implementing, 'officially', what AtlasLoot does already?
Reply Quote
Community Manager
I wanted to come back to this thread to update and clarify some information that I provided previously on how much information we plan to add to the Dungeon Journal. We actually do plan to provide specific information on the abilities and damage that will be done as well as information on the phases. We will not, however, be providing any strategies on how to defeat the bosses. That will be solely up to you to figure out. We hope that by providing this information in an easily accessible way, that it will help people be able to spend their time in game actually taking on these encounters more than spending it out of game doing research.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
/clap
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
its a good idea!
but i would like it more if the info was only avaible after you defet the boss, so you can fill your jornal with information as you progress.

I second this thought. Wow is after all a Role Playing Game. A Journal refers to a document where record is made of things that have happened or been experienced. Naming this tool a Dungeon Journal (although sounds cool :P) is not apt.

We could either change the name (To something like Dungeon Helper which sounds terrible) or change it so that it displays information about a Boss only after you have encountered it (probably not defeating it).

Dungeon Encyclopedia?

Crabby's Guide to 1001 Evil Hideouts?

Rand McNally's Index of the 101 Most Inhospitable Places on Azeroth?

Whatever they call it, it looks like a very nice feature.
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Hunter

We're planning to include a little bit of flavor lore associated with each boss.

A little? Your writers have written entire books about WoW, i think you can do better than just "a little".

Because that's what we all need... The noobs who are holding up the group while they read about the boss fight holding up the group while they read a book's worth of flavor text.
Edited by Lomor on 5/5/2011 10:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
05/05/2011 10:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
I wanted to come back to this thread to update and clarify some information that I provided previously on how much information we plan to add to the Dungeon Journal. We actually do plan to provide specific information on the abilities and damage that will be done as well as information on the phases. We will not, however, be providing any strategies on how to defeat the bosses. That will be solely up to you to figure out. We hope that by providing this information in an easily accessible way, that it will help people be able to spend their time in game actually taking on these encounters more than spending it out of game doing research.

Will Crabby be a part of this feature? :(
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Basically it's just an in-game version of the information something like DBM already provides. It also continues to open the way for more complex boss encounters as they don't have to worry about throwing things at you out of left field without any way of knowing.
Reply Quote
Community Manager

A little? Your writers have written entire books about WoW, i think you can do better than just "a little".

There has to be a certain balance between the amount of information shared. We want to make sure that what we're sharing is of value to those interested in it, without it being "tldr" for others. We want people interested, we just don't want to overwhelm people either. We'll see how it goes though.
Reply Quote
60 Night Elf Druid
05/05/2011 10:00 AMPosted by Nethaera
We actually do plan to provide specific information on the abilities and damage that will be done as well as information on the phases. We will not, however, be providing any strategies on how to defeat the bosses.

Sounds good. I hope you don't try so hard to avoid giving strategies that you leave out key information though. Some strategies are obvious once you know the mechanics behind them, and you really need to look up the mechanics to even think of them. Examples:

• Mechanic
  • The dragon's breath inflicts X damage on all players in a cone in front of him for Y yards.
  • Strategy (obvious, but shouldn't be included)
  • Only the tank, or as few people as possible should stand in front of the dragon.

• Mechanic
  • Boss summons a meteor that deals a colossal X total damage divided evenly among all targets in the affected area.
  • Strategy (obvious, but shouldn't be included)
  • Players should stack on each other so they each absorb a fraction of the total damage, lest a single player be hit and obliterated.
    Edited by Lorinall on 5/5/2011 10:57 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]