[BUG] Druid Rip

90 Tauren Druid
I've been experiencing an issue with rip for the past few days while doing Bear runs in ZA. The issue has popped up somewhat sporadically, and has seen a couple of posts in the Druid forums (both US and EU). Because of the slightly sporadic nature of the bug, its hard for me to be able to reproduce 100%. what I do notice, is that when this bug persists, the Blizzard outfit manager does not contain any of my outfits that have been store (whether or not these are related is unknown to me).

Attempting to fix the issue, I had tried relogging, logging over to another toon and logging back, exiting the game completely and logging back in, swapping specs/gear, porting back and forth from Org; nothing really seems to fix the issues 100% consistently.

I have uploaded a combat log of a recent Bear run. My gear is a mix of tank and cat gear. With an unbugged rip, I notice 6-8k non-crit ticks, and 14-18k crits (5pt Rips, obviously). In this log, you can clearly see 2.5k non-crits, and 4-5k crits.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tijfqxopxdwldws
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
As another slight update to this:

Just did a 10m Naxx mini run for some minor achieves and was experiencing the exact same issue. While I don't have the saved log for the run, I did notice that when I refreshed Rip via <25% FB, my rips were doing substantially less damage (something like 300 damage crits).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Update:

Didn't notice any issues tonight while doing BWD and BoT. Seems very hard to pin down what might be causing this as its so sporadic in nature.
Reply Quote
I've experienced the same problem, although it seems to correct itself as soon as I leave the instance (after completion and the party has disbanded), as tested by hitting the raid target dummy.

Symptoms are pretty much the same. Rip dots go to ~2.5k hits, ~5k crits. I've also seen the issue with BitW refreshed rip doing 300 crit damage. The refresh was on a bugged Rip.

In my case, it's been in multiple different 5-man instances, and apparently random in nature as to when it will take effect. Once the Rip is bugged however, it stays bugged for the rest of the instance.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
I've only had this happen once, in BoT the week of the 4.1 patch. Restarting my game seemed to fix it for me, though leaving the instance might work as well. I thought it might have been a fluke on my end until I asked other people what their recount showed, and checked the combat logs from that night to confirm it.

It's funny you mention that your Rips do 2.5k hits and 5k crits. My gear is quite a bit better than yours, and I noticed the same numbers. I was originally wondering if maybe the game was bugging out and thinking we only had 1 combo point instead of 5 every time, but that still wouldn't explain us having around the same numbers with such different gear. I have no clue what would be causing this.

Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Actually, after thinking about that, maybe it's bugging out in a way where it assumes 1 combo point and doesn't take AP into consideration? I'll have to remove my gear and give 1 point rips a try on a target dummy and see what it shows.

Edit: Have to raid soon, but I did some quick testing on a dummy and it seems the closest I can get to 2.5k rips and 5k crits is by just removing all my gear and using a 5-point rip, which hits for around 2k normal and 4k crit... add any dmg increasing buffs you might get in raid and maybe that would bump it up to 2.5k and 5k? So I dunno, maybe there's a bug where it's ignoring AP.
Edited by Generîc on 5/9/2011 6:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Cropped up again in a Stonecore run for me. At least in this case, dying seemed to have reset it (due to not getting ground rumble effects on Corborus and having him pop up under me).

05/05/2011 03:45 PMPosted by Generîc
Edit: Have to raid soon, but I did some quick testing on a dummy and it seems the closest I can get to 2.5k rips and 5k crits is be just removing all my gear and using a 5-point rip, which hits for around 2k normal and 5k crit... add any dmg increasing buffs you might get in raid and maybe that would bump it up to 2.5k and 5k? So I dunno, maybe there's a bug where it's ignoring AP.

That sounds likely given the consistency of the reported values for different gear levels.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I'll agree with those assumptions. In every case I've had of Rip damage being lower than expected, the Blizz equipment manager lists zero outfits stored, which would coincide with a damage range equal to that with no gear on.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I have been seeing this too. My 5 point Rips do crap damage. 5-6k crits when before they were doing 15-17k

Some times (out side when Im just killing some lvl 70-80 world elite) I can see 12k crits with 5 points. But that is still less then before.

Note:
I started using the Bliz equipment manager not to long ago. Before that I used Outfitter.
Edited by Samamish on 5/6/2011 2:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm using Outfitter. I don't think I've ever even enabled the Blizzard equiment manager.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
05/06/2011 08:42 AMPosted by Baezle
I'm using Outfitter. I don't think I've ever even enabled the Blizzard equiment manager.

So then its a bug in Rip itself and not using blizzards EM.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
Huh now that you mention it, I kinda of remember not seeing my gear sets in the EM. I definitely had all my Feral gear equipped though. After seeing those numbers, first thing I did was to make sure I wasn't in caster gear. I didn't think anything of it due to it being the week of the 4.1 patch, so I assumed it was just some minor bug popping up.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I just got out of a 5man heroic about 30mins ago. I was pretty frustrated to see Rip tick for 98dmg. Looking through my damage tracking addon this is what Rip looked like for me throughout the 5man.

Min: 98
Average: 2995
Max: 5705

I submitted a Ticket in game which included the start/end time approximations of when I was in the 5man so they could look it up if they wanted. This Ticket prompted a response from a GM within about 10mins.

The GM requested the link to this thread after I mentioned that the issue has been spoken of briefly on the forums. I was asked to give him a few moments which I took to have meant that he was reading over the thread.

By the end of the conversation the GM said that he would be submitting this problem up as its own separate issue.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

thanks for your diligence on this issue.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Looking over this thread I think there is an interesting theory having to do with a gear check.

I just dummy tested naked with Food, Mark of the Wild, and Agi flask along with a full stack on Fluid Death buff.

Harder to test down to the exact detail is the 4pc set bonus' 3% AP which I assume even if the game thought you were naked for the purpose of calculating Rip's damage, it'd still count the AP buff from the 4pc.

Anyway, my highest Rip damage with Tiger's Fury in this test was 5154 leaving room for Might, horn of winter, or whatever other buffs.

If anyone can take this test further with all appropriate buffs they had in their 5man and match those buffs up on the training dummy while naked I think that'd be a good test to have numbers for.

Even if the numbers matched up to prove the game is some how assuming we're naked for Rip and it's only counting our Buffs, it doesn't fully explain why Rip's damage drops significantly to 3 digit numbers once you renew Rip through Blood in the Water talent using Ferocious Bite below target 25% HP.
Reply Quote
It's an ugly work around, but dying will get rid of the bug, at least temporarily.

I did an on-purpose suicide in a H GB run the other day and my rip damage was back to where it was supposed to be after zoning back in.

Haven't actually tried teleporting in and out of the instance yet.
Reply Quote
Im cat dps and rip is broken for sure, some fights are fine, others rip is hardly doing any damage. I cant pin point why or when, but i know for sure rip is broken
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
ONE
just did a ZA run and I was doing 10k dps, it was embarassing as hell.. Rip hitting between 2-5k. Lucky it hasn;t heppened in a raid yet
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
If this bug cropped up on me during ZA I think I'd be pretty livid.

I've had this Rip bug 3x today in regular 5mans. Twice in the same run. Usually when I see it I teleport out and back in and it seems to resolve the problem for a while. Today was my first time seeing it twice in one 5man.

For newer people trying to gear up and run 5mans, I can just imagine the vote to kicks on a druid that doesn't realize they've got this bug.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
So I had DI for the first time tonight ever since two spriests were not in raid.

My rips were averaging for 2.1k and critting for over 4k.

Got rid of it and it seemed to be back to normal. WoL is offline right now but I'll come back when it's back to show you this amazing information.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]