Dota 2

70 Human Mage
Cannot. Wait!

Any one else super excited? :>
Edited by Qtpockets on 5/3/2011 10:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
54 Draenei Paladin
first post on the forum

i used to be like addict to dota 1, after some months it got boring and i never played it again, i will certainly try dota 2 though
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
League of Legends and u wont hav to wait
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Priest
I refuse to play HoN or LoL so I can't wait either.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Dota 2 will be awesome for sure, but League of Legends is definitely a great choice if you want to play now. Keep in mind DotA was originally created by the now developers at Riot Games which does League of Legends, while Dota 2 is being done by the guy that the original developers left it with, IceFrog. Essentially both games are heavily intertwined and the developers seem to be pretty close.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
I hated DotA on WC3.

But that's only because of how terrible the community was.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
05/03/2011 10:59 AMPosted by Niyari
I refuse to play HoN or LoL so I can't wait either.

Any specific reason?

HoN is by far better then DOTA ever was...

DOTA was a cool idea, but it was always just a map within a game never REALLY meant to support itself. DOTA 2 will be no different...

HoN may be a clone of DOTA, but it is built from the ground up in a MUCH better way. The attention to detail, the cool features and the straight up balance of almost 90 heroes is mind blowing and the fact that S2 is consistently updating the game is another plus (We get a new hero every 2-3 weeks).

If you haven't tried it, I recommend it; aside from WoW it's by far the best buy I've had when looked at dollar vs. time.

Some key features of HoN that DOTA will never have:

- In-game store to add visual improvements (alt avatars, audio announcers, etc) that can be bought via in-game earned currency or bought with money but provide zero advantage.
- Full built in stats system with instant replies. Everything is recorded in every game you play, kills, deaths, assists, wards, etc and anyone can watch your full reply.
- A UI built for the game; the simply ability to pick your heroes prior to game play is amazing.
- Zero lag, unlike the way blizzard games work there is no "one person lags, the entire game lags".
- Griefing/Leavers dealt with.....in DOTA people would leave all the time and it was up to 3rd party mods that tons of people didn't even use to keep track. In HoN, if you leave too many games you are prevented from entering new ones until your leave % goes down.
- The ability to reconnect, games crash...internet dies...in DOTA thats it, you're done. In HoN you can reconnect.

HoN is amazing, anyone that knocks it without actually playing it is silly.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
lol at people believing icefrog can actually make a balanced game.

the community did 70% of the work, he just did all the adjustments and release.

if you want something thats team play balanced just play LoL, if you want another dota than play hon. its all the same in the end.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
lol at people believing icefrog can actually make a balanced game.

the community did 70% of the work, he just did all the adjustments and release.

if you want something thats team play balanced just play LoL, if you want another dota than play hon. its all the same in the end.

So LoL is balanced team play but HoN is just another unbalance DOTA?

If you've actually played HoN you know that it is very balanced considering the amount of items and heroes the game has.

LoL is just as much of a clone as HoN is, expect LoL is free to play so its full of special people and trolls.

A bought game will always provide a better experience then a free to play game if not just from the weeding out of trolls and griefers.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
HoN is far based off a team scenario than league of legends, if you look at it you have to "buff up the carries" by going "support" and basically sacrificing a fun aspect of the game-play for others to enjoy. although there is "skill aspect" in HoN theres no doubt about that, it does affect the game-play by a huge extent, but in League of legends that aspect is taken out and it isn't really depended on skilled players. generally speaking teamplay in LoL is far more superior in that aspect. while HoN does have its pros its got way too many cons. I've played both games for months(even quit wow for about 7 months) and thats what i got out of it.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
Of course its based off a team scenario, its a 5v5 game....

If the only form of fun you have in a game is actually getting the kills then simply pick a non support hero, theres tons to choose from. Many people enjoy playing support as things other then getting the killing blow can be fun too. I play support all the time and the only "sacrifice" I make it spending a stupidly small amount of gold on wards.

Care to list a few of these cons?

All I really got from your post is "HoN requires teamwork and skill, LoL doesn't".

Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
If the only form of fun you have in a game is actually getting the kills then simply pick a non support hero, theres tons to choose from. Many people enjoy playing support as things other then getting the killing blow can be fun too. I play support all the time and the only "sacrifice" I make it spending a stupidly small amount of gold on wards

you'll never win with this tactic unless you play at a low level bracket.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
05/03/2011 11:55 AMPosted by Zasus
If the only form of fun you have in a game is actually getting the kills then simply pick a non support hero, theres tons to choose from. Many people enjoy playing support as things other then getting the killing blow can be fun too. I play support all the time and the only "sacrifice" I make it spending a stupidly small amount of gold on wards

you'll never win with this tactic unless you play at a low level bracket.

I don't play extremely competitively so I'm not concerned with how games are "suppose" to be played 1700+.

Anything under 1700 is fine with little more then wards as long as you're not going out of your way to try and KS the carry.

Still not sure what "cons" you are talking about, just sounds like you want a FPS to me...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
then this discussion has been irreverent. in any case i enjoy both of them, i just consider league of legends to be the game with more pros than cons. i think dota 2 will be an okay game when it comes out, but i hardly doubt its going to win the majority of players that play arena-rts games.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
05/03/2011 12:04 PMPosted by Zasus
then this discussion has been irreverent. in any case i enjoy both of them, i just consider league of legends to be the game with more pros than cons. i think dota 2 will be an okay game when it comes out, but i hardly doubt its going to win the majority of players that play arena-rts games.

So a game's fun can only be weighed by its highest level of competition? If that were the case, I think WoW would be long dead.

Even if I did play sure competitively, if I wasn't enjoying playing support I wouldn't do it. If you're not having fun in a video game, you're doing something wrong and need to take a step back....

You keep saying pros and cons, but you're yet to actually give any.....
Edited by Mõnster on 5/3/2011 12:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm really looking forward to Dota 2. Playing LoL until it comes out and the only reason I stay away from HoN is the community surrounding it. The bit that I was exposed to it was enough for me.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
So a game's fun can only be weighed by its highest level of competition? If that were the case, I think WoW would be long dead.

Even if I did play sure competitively, if I wasn't enjoying playing support I wouldn't do it. If you're not having fun in a video game, you're doing something wrong and need to take a step back....

it depends on the player, and i'd love to make a list but my server is back up.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior
05/03/2011 12:09 PMPosted by Steakfries
I'm really looking forward to Dota 2. Playing LoL until it comes out and the only reason I stay away from HoN is the community surrounding it. The bit that I was exposed to it was enough for me.

It's true, people take stats pretty seriously in HoN and some people can get into major rage feasts (Which I find extremely funny and taunt....) but I think thats because your stats are all tied to your account and resetting them costs money so it sucks dropping your rating because of other bad players.

I've never experienced anything but trash communities from a free to play game so I can't imagine LoL being any better.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warrior

it depends on the player, and i'd love to make a list but my server is back up.

So then the cons are player based and have nothing to do with the actual game?

Reply Quote
90 Troll Priest
So then the cons are player based and have nothing to do with the actual game?

I quoted you from your beginning statement, not your last. it depends on the player if they see the game only competitive wise.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]