The Dresden Files.

90 Draenei Shaman
Only about two weeks to go!

I"m torn between the ebook version and actual hardcover. Conveniance vs. habit. Leaning towards conveniance, then a used hardcover copy later, but...we'll see.

Still attempting to avoid looking at the first two chapters. Might not make it past next weekend. Weekends = boredom = falling into temptation.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I really want to buy this book when it comes out. Unfortunately these days I only buy e-book versions of fiction (clutter used to be an issue), and the e-book version of this is listed as $14.99 right now on Amazon (the hardcover is listed at $16.18). This is ridiculously beyond what I'm willing to pay for an e-book (even considering the leeway this series gets for being my current favorite), so on the day this comes out I'll be reading Trapped by Kevin Hearne (which to be fair is also an awesome series), and then get Cold Days from the library when I'm lucky enough for it to be available.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It's a publisher issue and a nasty one that has been ongoing for some time.

Unfortunately, you're stuck with it considering who Butcher's publisher is. One reason I'm a big fan of Baen books is their independent e-publishing scheme. New releases are usually only 6-8 dollars.

It's still a bit cheaper than hardcover and I need my fix. I don't really see it changing in the near future. I'm persona-non-grata at most local libraries for my extended borrowing schedule. Apparently, they never got the memo. Who knew?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
11/12/2012 10:02 AMPosted by Rashadril
Still attempting to avoid looking at the first two chapters. Might not make it past next weekend. Weekends = boredom = falling into temptation.

I've successfully avoided the temptation to read the first two chapters so far. But I know this will turn out epically.

Quick recap about Ghost Story. When Harry was revived, Mab mentioned something about a parasite keeping him alive. Logic would intend that our fuzzy warm Queen of Air and Darkness means Demonreach, but could a fragment of Lash still be inside his head somewhere?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Lash? Debatable. Harry seems to think she's good and gone, but you never really know about things like this in Butcher's world. So many beings have been rummaging around in Harry's head, well, never say never.

Mab and Demonreach had an understanding about keeping Harry alive (his body anyway). How far that extends isn't known (best guess is "not very"). It seems to have been an alliance of conveniance.

The parasite suddenly takes on new significance. The Lash theory might hold water after all. However, again, Harry has had a lot of wear and tear on the mind (literally), so...we shall see. I'm about 40% through the book and things are really piling up quickly.
Edited by Rashadril on 11/28/2012 2:41 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I get my copy tomorrow. I"M SO EXCITED.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
11/28/2012 11:02 AMPosted by Alchemistia

You have no idea...what you think your foundations are in Butcher's little universe are about to change.

Enjoy!

And you will. Finished...and the clues are all there from the previous books, but...heh, get ready for a real ride.
Edited by Rashadril on 11/29/2012 11:06 AM PST
Reply Quote
87 Night Elf Death Knight
11/28/2012 08:47 PMPosted by Rashadril

You have no idea...what you think your foundations are in Butcher's little universe are about to change.

Enjoy!

And you will. Finished...and the clues are all there from the previous books, but...heh, get ready for a real ride.

good god...

so much that i thought, and you're right, so many clues were there even back to the first book.

but... things, entities, characters... purpose has been revealed, as has other information. and i hope this doesn't count as a spoiler, but... a respectful Harry Dresden?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
In hindsight, I should've seen this coming, for how that character was being set up. Damn. Just... damn. And that was the ship I was always rooting for that would really never sail.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
12/02/2012 12:15 AMPosted by Eithris
... a respectful Harry Dresden?

Not sure I'd go that far...Harry is still Harry.

Still, Harry has some perspective now he sure as hell didn't have before.

Mab could very well be a literal respresentation of the word "ruthless". You knew this before, but you never really saw her machinations unfold step by step until this book. Stunning and chilling.

Still, there are a few shoes yet left to drop. We still know very little about Harry's mother, what she was up to, or her death. The Leanansidhe is very conspicuous by her absence. All this goes down, and we never see Mab's right hand during the entire episode. I suspect the next book will seriously smoke.
Reply Quote
12/02/2012 01:24 PMPosted by Rashadril
Still, there are a few shoes yet left to drop. We still know very little about Harry's mother, what she was up to, or her death. The Leanansidhe is very conspicuous by her absence. All this goes down, and we never see Mab's right hand during the entire episode. I suspect the next book will seriously smoke.

well, i remember from interviews way back when, Jim Butcher did let a few things slip. Apparently Lasciel is going to come into play again, and of course the three Swords. I'm hoping that the next book centers more on Molly though, and that we get back to Lash and the coins later on in the series.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
12/02/2012 08:08 PMPosted by Eithris

well, i remember from interviews way back when, Jim Butcher did let a few things slip. Apparently Lasciel is going to come into play again, and of course the three Swords. I'm hoping that the next book centers more on Molly though, and that we get back to Lash and the coins later on in the series.

He let it slip that Lash would come back somehow? Score. I knew that'd happen with the mention of the parasite back in Ghost Story. And the Denarians are too big a threat to simply let slide. They've taken one of the back burners compared to recent stuff with Faerie and the Formorians. I think it's time for Nick and the rest of the Nickelheads to make a reappearance. With a vengeance.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I don't think the parasite is the remnants of Lasciel's shadow. Once the outsider "infection" was made known, no one ever really brought up Harry's difficulties with the parasite--they all tip-toe around it--and both Mab and Demonreach know he has it. Of course, Mab did say they reached an agreement with it, which seems unlikely if it is an outsider influence. Dunno. Not enough info yet.

Lasciel may very well show up again, but I still think Lash (her shadow) is long gone. I do believe Nick still has her coin. The Denarians will surely make another appearence, but I wonder if they're being duped by the outsiders as well.

I think it's safe to say Molly will be back in the next book. She has a lot of deal with, but the Winter Court is going to be central going forward. Can't see how they can be avoided.

We haven't seen much from the White Council for a book. I dare say we'll see more of them and the fragmentation they seem to be undergoing. I think more reactionary heads are going to explode when they realize some of their bete noires are now central members of the Winter Court.

A whole year to go now...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Just did my firest re-read. Picked up on a number of things that might be going forward.

Although Harry's mother isn't really dwelt on in this book, she does come up in passing. What caught my attention is originally it was assumed that her deal with the fae was with the Leanansidhe. This might not be true. I'm beginning to wonder if it might not have been with Mab herself...or possibly Mother Winter.

Next up...ever wondered where the Blackstaff came from? Or what it is? There's very little information about it in the earlier books, except that Ebenezer is in possession of it with the knowledge of the White Council and he's their torpedo. You do get to see it used once in Changes. It's not a pretty sight. Still, what is it and where did it come from? The clue: "She rarely leaves our cottage anymore. She lost her walking stick."

That and Wormwood gives you a pretty good idea what you're really dealing with here.
Reply Quote
i've always felt like ebenezar was guiding harry along to eventually become the new blackstaff at some point, but harry being harry he's gone his own way.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I just got done reading the first book a few day ago. Loved it. I'm glad to be able to say that I found a new series that I will probably enjoy buying and having a plentiful supply of :D. I will be reading through The Hobbit before buying the second book, however.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Since I'm bored and just finished another read of Cold Days, I'm going to resurrect this thread (despite dinky mana pool and all).

Looks like Book 15 might be named "Skin Games". Probably won't see anything definitive before mid-summer, but...food for thought.

Speaking of thoughts, the more I read Cold Days, the more I"m convinced the Winter Court is a reflection of the Morrigan (the triple goddess) of the Mythological Cycle. Particularly telling is the fate of the Fomor and the prophecy she/they utter involving the end of the world--and you know Butcher is going to go there.
Reply Quote
i should do another reread of the entire series again soon. the next book being called "skin games" makes me obviously think of skinwalkers, but also of body-stealers and shapeshifters.

one of the things that dawned on me after i took a break from reading fantasy fiction and went on a sci-fi kick, was when mab took harry on that walk to the portals to outside where he talked to the gatekeeper and found out what that guy's title and job really meant, and then later at the end when mab says that bit to herself about finally having a knight worthy of being called the winter knight.

mab is the queen of winter, and the way she knows things, or experiences knowing things, what was it called, "genius loci" or some such?

i think she knows things are about to get tough. i mean, we the readers know it's all going to get downright apocolyptic eventually, but i think mab knows another extremely dangerous time is coming, as far as historic cycles go. i think she NEEDS harry as her knight, and harry specifically, or someone like him, because she's soon going to be preoccupied with her job, her purpose as the queen of air and darkness, and she's going to need to not have to micromanage as much stuff as she can get away with.

now she's got harry as her knight, paired up with a new winter lady, and while she can't predict harry's actions, she can be utterly sure of his motives, especially now that he understands the purpose of winter. existence is eternally under siege by the most unimaginably horrible forces, and you need the coldest, hardest, cruellest of them all to stand the gates.

god i'm getting chills just thinking about where JB could be taking the whole story...
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
It's just a working title. Cold Days was originally referred to as Winter Knight, but, well, it didn't last. Also, I suspect the title refers to masks. Butcher spent a lot of time in Cold Days hammering on the theme of appearences and how they change over time--even for immortals.

As for Mab, she's going to be central moving forward. We know some things about her. She's been around since the fourth book off and on. We now have a glimmering of what her purpose is. The last couple of books have been her recruitment drive and her setting Winter's house in order (in her own inimitable fashion). Now, I think we're going to see Mab throw down. She has some very serious grudges against the Black Council and the outsiders. Paybacks and all that...

Mab always (well, that we've seen) works through proxies. In this case, she now has a new Winter Knight she can actually count on and of considerable power even without the mantle. Also, she now has a Winter Lady of similar virtues (from Mab's point of view). We don't know what the Lady's roles really are, but Maeve does give us a clue before she meets her fate when she refuses to be Mab's good little hunting falcon. This is Winter after all.

Lastly, Molly. She's the new Winter Lady and Butcher has harped on the fact that she's very talented, but lacks staying power in magical confrontations. That is no longer an issue. He also has stressed that Molly isn't exactly overburdened with scruples when she feels she's in the right on something. Now she's practically a demigoddess. There's going to be some readjustments in a lot of peoples' attitudes in the next book, I'm thinking.

I suspect the Winter Lady's role is that of direct confrontation with immortals and creatures from the Nevernever. When serious magical trash needs to be taken out, it's probably the Lady's role to do it. The Winter Knight's role is dealing directly with mortals. The two have been intimated of working closely together. I think we all can see where this is going.

Regardless, it'll be a fun ride. Butcher hasn't let us down yet!
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
Skin Games sounds like a working title since it doesn't match the naming scheme of the series, barring Changes. But the title does possibly drop some hints for the content in the book.

The games part could refer to the mind games that are going to occur at some point in the book. We know that the Winter Lady can push thoughts into the Winter Knights mind, hence Maeve's psychic !@#$ during the party. And we know that Molly can read thoughts by proximity. This could have serious issues regarding their relationship, either pushing them further into the mantles, or even working as each others anchor against the mantle's influence.

The skin part could also refer to the fact that Molly at some point is going to have enter Harry's mind to deal with the parasite mentioned by Demonsreach. This will probably bring her into contact with Alterna!Harry, or even Alterna!Molly with Alterna!Harry. Given his lack of restraint and her desires that could be interesting.

And speaking about the mantles, while we have Bob's comment that they twist into the bearer into the mantle. He was woefully uninformed about what Soulfire truly is. We also have it from Uriel, Ebenezer, and Mother Summer that you can retain your sense of self. We're told this once per book leading from Changes while Bob's comment is in the book that he was twice proven to be fallible.

We also have Kringle's comment that is possible to remove the mantle at certain times and places. If the Lasciel and the Denarians still have a part to play in the series, could they have the answer?

Anyway that's just my 2 cents on the topic.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]