The Dark Tower

90 Dwarf Shaman
The Dark Tower series by Stephen King!
Who has read it?
What did you think?
Go!

Also new book, a TV Mini-series and movie planned so I'm pretty excited about that
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
I read them and loved with them. I especially liked the tie in to his other characters from other books. I remember going hey she was in rose madder! Great series by a great author.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
I've read them as well, very good. My brother got them for me for Christmas and told me I had to read them.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Fantastic series, but really tells you a lot about King and how he views himself. What an ego. Writing your self into a series is rather tasteless as is, but making yourself godlike... well somehow it worked out well with the way the story involves all the worlds he created in other novels.

I am very excited about the TV series/movies to come. Last I heard Javier Bardem was being considered for Roland. I like the choice.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Fantastic series, but really tells you a lot about King and how he views himself. What an ego. Writing your self into a series is rather tasteless as is, but making yourself godlike... well somehow it worked out well with the way the story involves all the worlds he created in other novels.

I am very excited about the TV series/movies to come. Last I heard Javier Bardem was being considered for Roland. I like the choice.

You didn't read the disclaimer in the last book, did you? If you read the disclaimer it actually makes some sense as to why he did that.
Also (yes I have read this series about 20 times already), if you read carefully, he explains (while underhypnosis) that he is an agent of Gan, not Gan himself. However, he is also the creator of the Dark Tower series, therefore if he died some worlds would collapse (that is my understanding of the truth). He's like the rose. It took me a few reads to finally figure that part out.

As far as Javier Bardem goes, I'm undecided. If they can get him to lose about 25 pounds and put him in blue contacts- then I can see it. Should be interesting who they get for the others though. I'd love to see Clint Eastwood play Callahan (since he's too old for Roland).
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
05/03/2011 01:42 PMPosted by Jujubiju
You didn't read the disclaimer in the last book, did you? If you read the disclaimer it actually makes some sense as to why he did that.
I read it but I felt like it was more of him trying to justifly it because he realized how it came off. I'm not saying it was a mistake or anything, It does work with the series, it just says alot about him is all.

As far as Javier Bardem goes, I'm undecided. If they can get him to lose about 25 pounds and put him in blue contacts- then I can see it.
That stuff is easy, look what Christian Bale did to himself for the Fighter.

I'd love to see Clint Eastwood play Callahan (since he's too old for Roland).
That would be very interesting. I LOVE Clint, a tougher man has never lived.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
I want to see Oy (lol) he was cool; also I hope they do a good job with the Low Men and Flagg
Reply Quote
I read the first book... Meh.

Picked up the second book, and couldn't put the series down until I was done! Many nights I would stay up way too late just to read one more chapter. My favorites were books 2 through 4. Wolves of the Calla was a bit of a shift, but it didn't disappoint!

The ending... My God, the ending...

The last book had me crying, more than once. I've never cried while reading. Ever. I'm a man, damnit! A MAN!! *cries*
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest

Kinda makes me wish they'd got started on this years ago. He would've been perfect.

I love the series... but I don't like the last couple of books. I know why he did it, but it just scans wrong with me.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
05/04/2011 04:39 AMPosted by Shadowkittin

Kinda makes me wish they'd got started on this years ago. He would've been perfect.

I love the series... but I don't like the last couple of books. I know why he did it, but it just scans wrong with me.
King is just bad with endings. This ending may be the worst of the bunch, but he has a lot of bad ones.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I read the first book... Meh.

Picked up the second book, and couldn't put the series down until I was done! Many nights I would stay up way too late just to read one more chapter. My favorites were books 2 through 4. Wolves of the Calla was a bit of a shift, but it didn't disappoint!

The ending... My God, the ending...

The last book had me crying, more than once. I've never cried while reading. Ever. I'm a man, damnit! A MAN!! *cries*

I was the exact same way with the first book. Picked it up a few times just couldn't get through it. What finally got me to read the first book was reading the second book. Calla wasn't my favorite of the seven- just seemed like he was continuing on with the series to just quit having his fans yell at him.

The last book still gets to me. The first time I read it, I just wanted to put the book down after Eddie (he's my favorite out of the ones drawn; besides Oy).

When I finally finished the last book, I ended up rereading the series again (we all know how it ended.)

So did anyone else find themselves seeing 19 in- well- everything?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman

King is just bad with endings. This ending may be the worst of the bunch, but he has a lot of bad ones.

I've seen him do a lot worse endings. I loved The Stand, but honestly that novel just has the worst ending. "It" is the same way, the ending in that feels entirely rushed. Both seem to just end abruptly.

On the subject of the movie/TV series, I just hope Howard does it right. The mockery that was The Stand and IT (where did the drain scene with Ed's come from?!?) did neither of those books justice. I know there's A LOT of backstory they probably won't be able to fit in (ie: Callahan's wanderings; Ted's story), but as long as they stick to the main plot I'll be happy. I know on some of the Harry Potter movies, I've heard people that have never read the series get confused because of some of the things left out. The Dark Tower can be confusing enough to someone that's read the series avidly, leaving too much out in the movie will just manage to confuse those that have never read it.
Edited by Jujubiju on 5/4/2011 8:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Oh one more thing on the subject of endings: at least it wasn't space aliens playing a video game (I thought that book was otherwise good and the cover reminded me of old Dalaran). Under the Dome had probably the worst/stupidest ending I've ever seen him write.
Edited by Jujubiju on 5/4/2011 8:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/04/2011 08:51 AMPosted by Jujubiju
Oh one more thing on the subject of endings: at least it wasn't space aliens playing a video game (I thought that book was otherwise good and the cover reminded me of old Dalaran). Under the Dome had probably the worst/stupidest ending I've ever seen him write.

This, a thousand times this. I was so excited to read The Dome. I enjoyed the whole damn thing. Then when it was... gawd!! You know...
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest

I've seen him do a lot worse endings. I loved The Stand, but honestly that novel just has the worst ending. "It" is the same way, the ending in that feels entirely rushed. Both seem to just end abruptly.

On the subject of the movie/TV series, I just hope Howard does it right. The mockery that was The Stand and IT (where did the drain scene with Ed's come from?!?) did neither of those books justice.

I actually liked the mini series of the Stand. The characters honestly seemed just the way I'd imagined them. IT was a travesty however. I'm planning on trying to finally overcome my coulrophobia and watch the remake. It's supposed to be very close to the story in the book. Not sure how they'll cope with that scene though.

The ending in the Stand does feel kinda of rushed too. Never really sat down and though about it before, but you're right. Everything kinda plods along, and then *bam*.

I've always been more partial to his short stories. The Mist is amazing, as is Christmas Delivery.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
05/04/2011 08:37 AMPosted by Jujubiju
I've seen him do a lot worse endings
Seriously? I don't want to go spoiling anything so It is pretty hard to discuss the topic.. Suffice to say I threw the book across the room after reading the ending. It was crap.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Warlock
I've only read the first book so far, but really enjoyed it. I should probably continue reading the series at some point...
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Priest
The series was kind of ruined for me when I read that Roland looked like King. Barf. Not only is King not a terribly handsome, rugged, or visually stunning man, but the audacity of King to shatter the image his readers had developed of Roland over the course of several books was depressing. Part of what I hate about movies based on books is that they forever alter whatever vision of the characters you had previously developed. King screwed me before I'd even finished the series.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
05/05/2011 11:21 PMPosted by Drfeelgud
The series was kind of ruined for me when I read that Roland looked like King
I don't remember that.. I always pictured Roland as a shorter darker Outlaw Josey Whales style Clint Eastwood.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]