Why do we need to be nickeled and dimed?

100 Blood Elf Paladin
You know, there's another reason the price is high. They're trying to limit the people who switch to the ones who really want to.

Could they do it for a reduced cost? Absolutely, but then you have to think about the consequences. What about the low population servers? Suddenly, more people can transfer off the server, leaving it more barren than it already is.

There's more than just profit on their minds.
Because they can charge what they like?. There is no-one else you can pay to give you those features
85 Night Elf Druid
I think they would makemore money if the realm transfer were about $10. I have never once payed for a realm transfer, but I have thought about it many times but not wanted to because of how much it costs. I probably would've actually done it a few times if it were a lower price
85 Blood Elf Priest
05/03/2011 09:46 PMPosted by Segovia
Luxury services are generally not free.

Please explain what is "luxurious" about changing your mind?

What one calls a "luxury" in a virtual world is debatable. Blizzard could have made ALL mounts a paid for "luxury", with the argument that you don't actually NEED a mount to function in the game. What they chose to charge people for wasn't completely arbitrary; however, they were significant, age-old changes that people had been asking for for years, so of course, fleece your flock.

Considered a luxury item because it's not necessary.

Say you have a level 85 Draenei shaman on Proudmoore.

But you WANT to play a Troll shaman on Mal'Ganis.

You don't HAVE to pay $55 to faction and server change.

They're offering you, for the price, the LUXURY of not having to reroll on a new server.
85 Blood Elf Mage
because these are optional servces that are not required to play the game, Just like a surround sound system for a new tv., does it enchance the experience of course is it needed for the tv to function no
85 Human Paladin
05/03/2011 09:50 PMPosted by Segovia
Again, by that reasoning, riding skill falls into that category. Why don't we pay for that?

There are many areas in the game that can't be reached without a flying mount. Therefore you actually need those flying mounts to have full access to the game.
87 Gnome Mage
Blizzard is a business, here to make money. Why give away something for free when people will pay for it?
85 Blood Elf Mage
I have no problem with the 15 a month subscription. It's fine.

However, I fail to see why a character rename is ten dollars, why a realm transfer is 25 dollars, why a faction change is 30 dollars, and why a character re-customization is 15 dollars. It makes little sense to me why we would have to pay those kind of fees in order to play the game how we want on top of a 15 dollar subscription. If the prices were divided in half, Blizzard would still make money.

Why can't the players ever feel like they're getting a deal?

Because they do not want you to feel like you are getting a deal.

The entire point of these services being priced the way they are is so people do not do it impulsively. A lot of these things if dont a lot can be harmful to the game so they want the price to be such that a player who pays for one of the services does so because they feel they need to, not just because they want to.

Imagine it this way. If a character transfer was $5 it would be easy to see a lot more than 5 times the number of server tranfers. This would make Blizzard more money, however, it would affect server economies much much more which would cause Blizzard a lot more serious headaches.
85 Draenei Shaman
Social control. They don't want you changing name, gender, race, server, or faction on a whim. I imagine some players would change race daily if it were free.

The only other option to inhibit it would be to impose some sort of cooldown, maybe you can only change your character once a month or so. But whatever cooldown they impose will be QQ'd about by the player base.

None of these vanity options are necessary, BTW.
You understand the concept of "labor", right?
85 Blood Elf Mage

Because they do not want you to feel like you are getting a deal.

The entire point of these services being priced the way they are is so people do not do it impulsively. A lot of these things if dont a lot can be harmful to the game so they want the price to be such that a player who pays for one of the services does so because they feel they need to, not just because they want to.

Imagine it this way. If a character transfer was $5 it would be easy to see a lot more than 5 times the number of server tranfers. This would make Blizzard more money, however, it would affect server economies much much more which would cause Blizzard a lot more serious headaches.

Oh, that's why they do it? Then why don't they just lower the price but triple the cooldown time?

Because sometimes a person does have a need of transferring sooner. This was learned when the cooldown was 6 months.

Honestly, a person does not have to transfer. You can reroll for free on any server you want and leveling is incredibly easy, even without heirlooms. In some ways it's better without heirlooms.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]