Why do we need to be nickeled and dimed?

Why are you renaming, transferring a char, or faction changing a character so often?

I'm not. That's the point.

Ironically, you're right. That is the point. It's not something that's easy to do, hell the majority of MMO's don't allow you to do any of this at all. Want a name change? Go reroll a new character from scratch.

The reason they do charge so much is that they don't want people doing it often.
90 Tauren Hunter

Ironically, you're right. That is the point. It's not something that's easy to do, hell the majority of MMO's don't allow you to do any of this at all. Want a name change? Go reroll a new character from scratch.

The reason they do charge so much is that they don't want people doing it often.

People keep saying that, but what's wrong with adding a longer cooldown? Win-win.

Because they did try the longer cooldown thing and it wasn't as good an idea as having a reasonably high price for a luxory service.
85 Tauren Druid
You have to decide what's more valuable to you: your money or your time. If your time is more valuable, then pay away. If money's more valuable, go reroll. The prices are the way they are because they do not want you to change things on a whim.

Though I agree, I think they could come down a little bit on some things. No telling how many hundreds I've spent in the past few years server transferring. Then if they lowered the price on that, people who have had to pay the full price in the past would fill an ocean with their tears. There's no winning with the WoW population.
Community Manager
These are premium services added to better accommodate the wants and needs of players. They do not factor into what you get for buying the game/expansions and paying monthly for access to the serers. By no means do you need any of these premium services to enjoy World of Warcraft gameplay to the fullest extent. Should you desire to take advantage of some extra services to enhance your enjoyment of the game though, they're certainly there for you... if you feel it's worth the price.

We've made countless quality-of-life improvements to the game in terms of content, UI, data storage, character profiles, etc. We've expanded upon what you get for your monthly subscription by leaps and bounds since the game was first released, but the subscription price has not changed.

Everything we do and every service we add costs more money than you might realize. So, if we do occasionally add some premium services which are purely to give you more options for enjoying the game how you want (changing your realm, faction, race, name, physical appearance, etc.), we need to make sure there is an appropriate value added to those services so we can sustain them, sustain our business, and keep focusing on making this the best game possible. :)
90 Tauren Death Knight
These are premium services added to better accommodate the wants and needs of players. They do not factor into what you get for buying the game/expansions and paying monthly for access to the serers. By no means do you need any of these premium services to enjoy World of Warcraft gameplay to the fullest extent. Should you desire to take advantage of some extra services to enhance your enjoyment of the game though, they're certainly there for you... if you feel it's worth the price.

We've made countless quality-of-life improvements to the game in terms of content, UI, data storage, character profiles, etc. We've expanded upon what you get for your monthly subscription by leaps and bounds since the game was first released, but the subscription price has not changed.

Everything we do and every service we add costs more money than you might realize. So, if we do occasionally add some premium services which are purely to give you more options for enjoying the game how you want (changing your realm, faction, race, name, physical appearance, etc.), we need to make sure there is an appropriate value added to those services so we can sustain them, sustain our business, and keep focusing on making this the best game possible. :)

I should do every thing I want to do now while our Aussie Dollar is kicking America's butt :-)
86 Draenei Paladin
The only thing I don't agree with is how expensive some of these things are. I'd use them more often if they were cut down a good margin.
90 Draenei Mage

And lose months of work. Surely people wouldn't buy powerleveling then!

Oh, lord! All that work, and time, wasted! Whatever shall we do?!

OH, WAIT!

It's a freaking VIDEO GAME! Why should we care?!

You make my small ranch of mount animals cry, Huatar.
29 Dwarf Rogue
05/03/2011 09:29 PMPosted by Reptilia
Why are you renaming, transferring a char, or faction changing a character so often?

I'm not. That's the point.

Working as intended.
90 Tauren Warrior

Oh, lord! All that work, and time, wasted! Whatever shall we do?!

OH, WAIT!

It's a freaking VIDEO GAME! Why should we care?!

You make my small ranch of mount animals cry, Huatar.

My utmost condolences to your animals.
90 Human Paladin
Unfortunately, greed rules, and you have to bite the bullet if you wish to just change your name, a service many games offer for free. If the usage of these services were an issue, hefty cooldowns would be implemented, not ridiculous prices. That argument also contradicts the 'we need it for maintenance and upgrades to future/existing services' stance.

Irrelevant of whether Blizzard is a company or not, they are a video game developer. Their first outcome should be that of creating (and maintaining, in WoW's case) good games, not milking their playerbase.
29 Dwarf Rogue
05/03/2011 11:29 PMPosted by Vìndictus
Their first outcome should be that of creating (and maintaining, in WoW's case) good games, not milking their playerbase.

They don't want you doing it.
But, for $10, they'll let you.
It's called capitalism.
29 Dwarf Rogue
05/03/2011 11:31 PMPosted by Bstabbinu
but I would be my left ear that 150M per month is more than enough to provide FREE Xfers and/or name changes etc...

They don't want you doing it at all.
But, if you're willing to pay, they're willing to let you do it.
Is it worth $10 to you to change your name for your character? No? Then don't do it.
05/03/2011 11:14 PMPosted by Zarhym
We've expanded upon what you get for your monthly subscription by leaps and bounds since the game was first released, but the subscription price has not changed.

There it is in Blue folks...Vanilla sucked :P

05/03/2011 11:14 PMPosted by Zarhym
So, if we do occasionally add some premium services which are purely to give you more options for enjoying the game how you want

More character slots maybe...$10 for 2 more maybe...hint hint.

Good post it was honest straight forward and kind...wait...that is not like Zarhym, the snarky blue we have all come to know and love. SOMEONE HAS REPLACED ZARHYM WITH A DOPPELGANGER!!! (seriously...I will be quoting it often never the less. :P)

This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]