Why do we need to be nickeled and dimed?

90 Dwarf Hunter
I would gladly pay $100 if it meant i could race change to a gnome hunter.
85 Blood Elf Hunter
While I agree that there has to be some sort of fee paid for premium services and that the content and benefits that we get for our monthly subscription has improved since vanilla; the problem is that the charged amount for these premium services seem arbitrary. Why is changing a name $10 and re-customizing your toon only $5 extra? Or why is a faction change cheaper than a server transfer?
85 Dwarf Shaman
RAR
05/03/2011 11:44 PMPosted by Oswell
World of Warcraft gameplay to the fullest extent.

Did you really just say that? Isn't that a bit much? I would almost guarantee that MOST players would need a realm transfer or two to FULLY enjoy WoW... to the extent of what you have stated. Because making toons on multiple realms means you'd have to spend a CONSIDERABLE amount of time on each realm with each toon to figure out which you like most, where you can find the best people to get along with, best guild to be in, place with the most playing of your playstyle, etc.

Just.... take out "to the fullest extent." That's way too much of an ultimatum for me man; that means I could not enjoy WoW anymore, at all, no matter what other Race, Realm, or Faction I was/on, and no matter how much more I changed my appearance.

You might be pretty content, and ignorance to that which is better may be bliss, but it's still ignorance. And there's still a fuller "extent."
Edited by Kwanyin on 5/4/2011 12:09 AM PDT
33 Night Elf Druid
Unfortunately, greed rules, and you have to bite the bullet if you wish to just change your name, a service many games offer for free. If the usage of these services were an issue, hefty cooldowns would be implemented, not ridiculous prices. That argument also contradicts the 'we need it for maintenance and upgrades to future/existing services' stance.

Irrelevant of whether Blizzard is a company or not, they are a video game developer. Their first outcome should be that of creating (and maintaining, in WoW's case) good games, not milking their playerbase.

Paying the workers that make these services possible is not greed.
05/03/2011 11:18 PMPosted by Nassri
I should do every thing I want to do now while our Aussie Dollar is kicking America's butt :-)

Want to like over 9000! times.
90 Dwarf Hunter
05/03/2011 11:43 PMPosted by Helbereth
If these services were less expensive, more people would use them with greater frequency.

I suspect this is a big factor in why they cost what they do. I don't think people should be changing character names, servers, factions etc. without giving it a reasonable amount of thought. Making it free would encourage people to use it all the time for little reason, and would remove the last bit of disencentive to ruin your reputation on your current server (at least right now people know they'll have to spend some money to start over).

Clearly they also do it to make some money, and I expect when determining where to allocate developer time it's easier to justify spending the time on new features that will more than pay for themselves. Some of the service pricing might be a bit out of whack, I can't honestly say I've looked closely at the prices, but I don't think the features should be free.

The only time I've ever used the features is the one server/faction transfer I did of my shaman when I decided I didn't want to play on 2 servers anymore and that did seem a bit high, but it was essentially multiple services in one. I would say they might want to consider offering some sort of bundle pricing for people who wish to move all their characters to a new server since that can get very expensive when you have a bunch of chars.

I do wish they'd put a little more effort into some of the racial balances. I won't say that it's deliberate to encourage us to spend more money on switching to the new races, but it does look kind of bad how unbalanced the new races are compared to the old.

I do agree that for servers that are essentially dead, there really needs to be a better solution. This seems to be a problem that Blizzard keeps trying to address without much success unfortunately. I don't think the solution is making the services free to all customers on all servers though.
Edited by Zeherah on 5/4/2011 12:26 AM PDT
29 Dwarf Rogue
05/03/2011 11:54 PMPosted by Elseadrena
Quality of Life huh? Please...ask any visually or physically disabled person who plays this game where the QoL in the UI (chat text size, quest dialogue box colors and quest text colors) has been given improvements

They actually have a colorblind system for Archaeology's survey system and reduced the flash from some elementals. They did this to accommodate the disabled.

05/03/2011 11:54 PMPosted by Seducerer
I think it's silly to try to justify the pricing as anything other than corporate greed.

And Blizzard is a corporation. They'd rather no one did it at all, but, hey, if you're willing to pay for it, they're willing to do it.
85 Dwarf Paladin
While the blue summed up the reasons enough, there are also other reasons for these type of changes coming at a cost. The biggest one to me is you are playing an RPG, you really shouldn't be able to change things of your character like race/name/eye color/etc.

RPGs are very player oriented and these type of changes change the actual game/server. There's a reason players want a name change, just as much as theres a reason they shouldn't get it for free.

And Blizzard is a corporation. They'd rather no one did it at all, but, hey, if you're willing to pay for it, they're willing to do it.

Agreed, if people didn't want it, they wouldn't have spent the programming time on it. They saw the opportunity to make money and went with it. It's called being innovative.
Edited by Leroi on 5/4/2011 12:32 AM PDT
29 Dwarf Rogue
05/04/2011 12:31 AMPosted by Reptilia

Wouldn't that explain the corporate greed argument more than yours?

Both. Blizz would rather no one did it at all.
But, if it's worth $10 to you, by all means, change your character's name!
90 Human Warrior
05/03/2011 11:57 PMPosted by Sidxvicious

Quality of Life huh? Please...ask any visually or physically disabled person who plays this game where the QoL in the UI (chat text size, quest dialogue box colors and quest text colors) has been given improvements - despite my suggestions that have apparently been ignored. I had posted a thread in the suggestion forum on the old sites forums, but it didn't make it's way over in the transfer and I don't see a new one to post again - and even though it was a highly rated question in Ask the Devs #1, it was passed over for answering (in favor of a couple questions that seemed to be repeated).

Pics or it didn't happen and I won't believe it til I see it in game.

Uh, can't you make chat text size larger by going into the chat options?

18pt is as large as it gets....some people need larger than that at times. But you can't adjust the font size that's in the quest dialogue box at all. That's the main issue. Might also give an option to quit using that medieval type font and go with plain normal - I know, goes against the feel of the game...but if you can't read it plainly...).
Edited by Elseadrena on 5/4/2011 12:35 AM PDT
85 Dwarf Paladin
05/04/2011 12:31 AMPosted by Reptilia
Wouldn't that explain the corporate greed argument more than yours?

Is it greedy to sell a hungry man a sandwich? Yes, somewhat... but anyway. Welcome to America.
90 Human Warrior
Quality of Life huh? Please...ask any visually or physically disabled person who plays this game where the QoL in the UI (chat text size, quest dialogue box colors and quest text colors) has been given improvements

They actually have a colorblind system for Archaeology's survey system and reduced the flash from some elementals. They did this to accommodate the disabled.

Colorblind does nothing for chat text and quest dialogue boxes. Nor does it change the color of mining/herb/fishing nodes (trying looking for a bright yellow dot on a bright yellow section of ground like in Uldum when someone with vision problems has issues with contrasting colors (light color on top of same brigher color and vice versa). A GM tried telling me about this option once, but when I explained my situation and the situations of others what this option fails to address, he directed me to the old Suggestion section.
Edited by Elseadrena on 5/4/2011 12:41 AM PDT
These are premium services added to better accommodate the wants and needs of players. They do not factor into what you get for buying the game/expansions and paying monthly for access to the serers. By no means do you need any of these premium services to enjoy World of Warcraft gameplay to the fullest extent. Should you desire to take advantage of some extra services to enhance your enjoyment of the game though, they're certainly there for you... if you feel it's worth the price.

We've made countless quality-of-life improvements to the game in terms of content, UI, data storage, character profiles, etc. We've expanded upon what you get for your monthly subscription by leaps and bounds since the game was first released, but the subscription price has not changed.

Everything we do and every service we add costs more money than you might realize. So, if we do occasionally add some premium services which are purely to give you more options for enjoying the game how you want (changing your realm, faction, race, name, physical appearance, etc.), we need to make sure there is an appropriate value added to those services so we can sustain them, sustain our business, and keep focusing on making this the best game possible. :)

I understand that these "premium" services are not needed to enjoy the gameplay to its fullest extent, but there are many cases where someone ends up on a bad server, wrong server, wrong faction, etc. and he cannot play the game to its fullest extent. For example, one of my friends in real life plays on the opposite faction on a higher population server. If I payed 55$ to switch factions and realms I would most likely have more fun playing the game because I could play with someone I know. There is no way though I'm going to drop 55$ though just so I can play with my friend. There are also worse cases than this, such as people accidently leveling a toon on a realm without raiding guilds, or on a realm that has people that speak a different language on it. (Sounds weird I know, but it does happen)
I hear you in that these premium services help fund game development, but In my opinion a subscription based game should not have "premium services". Especially when these services take no man-power to sustain. All money to fund the game should come from the initial game disc price along with a subscription. If that means the subscription rates need to be slightly raised to accomodate the lack of revenue from no more paid server/faction/race transfers, so be it. To loosely quote TotalBiscuit from one of his Azeroth Daily's, "A game with a subscription fee should not force you to pay extra money for a fully automated system."

99 Pandaren Hunter
These are premium services added to better accommodate the wants and needs of players. They do not factor into what you get for buying the game/expansions and paying monthly for access to the serers. By no means do you need any of these premium services to enjoy World of Warcraft gameplay to the fullest extent. Should you desire to take advantage of some extra services to enhance your enjoyment of the game though, they're certainly there for you... if you feel it's worth the price.

We've made countless quality-of-life improvements to the game in terms of content, UI, data storage, character profiles, etc. We've expanded upon what you get for your monthly subscription by leaps and bounds since the game was first released, but the subscription price has not changed.

Everything we do and every service we add costs more money than you might realize. So, if we do occasionally add some premium services which are purely to give you more options for enjoying the game how you want (changing your realm, faction, race, name, physical appearance, etc.), we need to make sure there is an appropriate value added to those services so we can sustain them, sustain our business, and keep focusing on making this the best game possible. :)

One point I'd like to make is the fact that you seem to think we should be happy that the price has stayed the same, and Blizzard's doing us a service by leaving it as it was at launch.

The reason the price has remained the same is only because Blizzard cannot raise the price because the market will not sustain it. Raise the price, and the price conscious of the subscribers will either find another game, or complain and cost money in doing so, because they complain by calling in.

The service will lose subscribers more so if competing games remain at the cheaper price point. The net effect is that Blizzard would lose money, and that is why Blizzard won't raise the price, not some altruistic give back to the players.

The amount given in the game is also controlled by the market. Give too little, and you lose people. Give too much, and you don't get any real revenue for it.
Edited by Maxchiel on 5/4/2011 12:52 AM PDT
85 Human Paladin
When I started playing this game: I'm going to roll a blood elf paladin, that'll be awsome.

6 Months Later

THIS #$%#KING SUCKS

-Faction Change-

Wow, this is awsome! I'm so glad Blizzard lets us do changes like this instead of having to reroll, even for the 30 dollars it was, it was worth it!
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]